Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crossbreed Nicknames

• 10-09-2011 7:03pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

I think I heard quite possibly, the worst name ever for a crossbreed. We've all heard of boxadors, cavachons, cockapoos and all the other crap they've come up with so far. But I am pretty sure that I today heard of one of the worst 'Designer dog' possible.

I give you, the Doodleman Pinscher. Yes, you read that right, Doodleman Pinscher, a mix of a poodle and a dobermann... they are also called Doberdoodles. Seriously, who thought this was a good mix? Is there any breed out there that so far hasn't been crossbred with something and given a stupid nickname?

Doodleman%20Pinscher%202%20%28Digital%20Pet%29.jpg

What's the stupidest crossbreed you've seen/heard of so far?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I keep trying to figure out what a couple of my lot would be....

GSD x spaniel

JRT x springer

The worst designer names I came across were

Jug - JRT x pug

Jack Shih (but pronounced jack shi*) - JRT x shih tzu

What's wrong with having a mutt these days???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

A labradoodle, i mean seriously, WTF

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

Someone booked in a "Sprollie" with me today for grooming (SPRINGER/COLLIE)

Seriously.

Am I right in thinking Labradoodles are now a recognised breed by the Kennel Club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Groom! wrote: »
    Someone booked in a "Sprollie" with me today for grooming (SPRINGER/COLLIE)

Seriously.

Am I right in thinking Labradoodles are now a recognised breed by the Kennel Club?

In fairness, sprollie's have been called that for a long time, before the trend for designer names for crossbreeds came in, I think from the gun dog fraternity, like Droppers.

No, Labradoodles aren't a recognised breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Fieldies Dreams

Shanao wrote: »
    I think I heard quite possibly, the worst name ever for a crossbreed. We've all heard of boxadors, cavachons, cockapoos and all the other crap they've come up with so far. But I am pretty sure that I today heard of one of the worst 'Designer dog' possible.

I give you, the Doodleman Pinscher. Yes, you read that right, Doodleman Pinscher, a mix of a poodle and a dobermann... they are also called Doberdoodles. Seriously, who thought this was a good mix? Is there any breed out there that so far hasn't been crossbred with something and given a stupid nickname?

i crossbread a bull dog with a ****zu and called it a bull****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

ISDW wrote: »
    I think from the gun dog fraternity, like Droppers.

What is a dropper???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭DMG_49

Bulldog + Shih tzu = Bull shih pronounced bull **** lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

What is a dropper???

Setter/pointer cross usually.

Don't know where the name comes from, probably some really simple explanation for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭DMG_49

i crossbread a bull dog with a ****zu and called it a bull****.

Aghh you beat me to it

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Never mind, found one even worse. The Ori Pei apparently is a mix between a pug and a shar pei. I was reading about this couple who bought one who were absolutely delighted with him despite the fact that he had to have two surgeries within the first four months of his life and has respiratory and skin problems. I mean really, do people think at all?

OriPeiRudy5YearOldPugSharPeiMixHybridDog.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Sprollies have been called sprollies for as long as I can remember, I'd never associate it as being a designer crossbreed name! I don't think the ubiquitous collie x springer is ever the result of a purposeful mating for cynical profiteering. I thinks it's fair to say that most sprollies are, well, "unplanned".
    Droppers are supposedly so-called due to the crouching pose they adopt when they're onto a scent, but I'd stand corrected if anyone knows any different. The classic dropper is, as ISDW says, a setter x pointer, but many people call any mix of 2 gundogs a dropper, rightly or wrongly.
    I have a mutt, she most likely had a cocker mammy who had a rosemantic tryst with a shih tsu... In more facetious moments I refer to her as my cockatsu (as in cockatoo) *snigger*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I've heard of Lhasapoo .... (lhasas and poodles)
    Peekapoo (Pekinese and poodle)

Haha, found this link (there is one ad pop up when you go to the page, sorry) 'list of hybrid dogs'

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I want a Doodleman Pinscher--Thats the best designer name ever.Brilliant.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

ISDW wrote: »
    Setter/pointer cross usually.

Don't know where the name comes from, probably some really simple explanation for it.

Well I don't know but my guess would be its not a made up name as such but refers to some desirable characteristic that comes from the cross which is advantageous when working the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wedgie

We have a Whipprador.

Well, that's what we jokingly call our rescue mutt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

We have a jackeranian - jack Russell pommeranian. Im not sure if that's a designer breed. I always thought it sounded mad. She's a sturdy little thing.

Our other one is a jacks. Jack Russell crossed with a toilet brush. Or so you'd think, going on her hair. Very tina turner. Gorgeous looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have no problem with people having funny made up breed names for their dogs, I have a friend with a funny little dog that we often make up names for, its fun.
    But I do have a problem with people making up these names so they can sell a cross breed (often un health tested, badly reared) pups for big money. I can't understand why people fall for it.
    Most of these breeders(i use that term loosely) have bitches that they breed every heat, one pedigree, then one cross, just to make money, sometimes bitches are too old or too young to breed and register the litters, sometimes they are unregistered themselves.
    These people are just doing this for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Never mind, found one even worse. The Ori Pei apparently is a mix between a pug and a shar pei. I was reading about this couple who bought one who were absolutely delighted with him despite the fact that he had to have two surgeries within the first four months of his life and has respiratory and skin problems. I mean really, do people think at all?

OriPeiRudy5YearOldPugSharPeiMixHybridDog.jpg

That is equal parts sad and stupid. Mix 2 breeds that already have health issues and see what happens, my god.

Im trying to think what to call my little mutt but its impossible to meld the words schnauzer and JRT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

**Vai** wrote: »
    Im trying to think what to call my little mutt but its impossible to meld the words schnauzer and JRT!

lol this just popped into my head - "a schnack russell"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I laugh when I see prices people are willing to pay for these mongrels and runts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I was speaking to somebody recently who wanted to buy a "morkie" - a maltese X yorkie.

Hopefully I said enough to put them off. As far as I know they're still a dogless couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

My favourite one, that I've referred to before, is the spreaky.

It's a cross between a springer and "sneaky dog from next door". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We have a "russet"; rescue Jack Russell/basset cross.. Round and wholesome as the apple of our eye

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

I have a 'Cavachon' - a cross between a Cavalier King Charles and a Bichon. My neighbour has such a dog and my kids fell in love with his friendly disposition and I loved the fact that they dont shed a great deal. Personally I dont care what name is put on the breed but its a lot easier to buy one when they have a 'made up name' then simply looking for a 'mutt'. I paid €280 for my 'mutt' - I dont think I was ripped off in any way. For those who prefer the 'pure breed' great - but each to their own.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

aisher wrote: »
    Personally I dont care what name is put on the breed but its a lot easier to buy one when they have a 'made up name' then simply looking for a 'mutt'. I paid €280 for my 'mutt' - I dont think I was ripped off in any way. For those who prefer the 'pure breed' great - but each to their own.

That's nice that you don't feel ripped off, if you insist on not looking at the big picture. I'd be inclined to think though, if dogs could talk, that if the parents of such puppies were asked, that they'd say they were feeling a tad ripped off.
    As long as people insist on blindly/naively buying pups that are being mass-produced for no other reason than profit, and there is simply is no other justification for breeding designer xbreeds, back-yard-breeders will always thrive in this country.
    It's time for people to wake up and be responsible, instead of trying to justify buying these dogs. Your pup may be fine. It's the parents, grandparents etc that your money is helping to abuse. Justify it whatever way you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

I reckon cockapoos should be renamed cockadoodles - just cos its funnier! :P

To be honest, tho, having been on boards for the past year or so, I am starting to feel really guilty about having a pure bred cockerspaniel at all. I had to bring him to the vet this morning to get antibiotics for an ear infection and it hit me that in the wild he wouldnt even have big long floppy ears! I wish he was a mutt with short doggy ears and a lovely long tail so I wouldnt have to feel nearly as guilty. Wish I had read this forum before setting out to buy a dog :( Anyway, thats not the point to this thread... sorry for the ramble!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

aisher wrote: »
    I have a 'Cavachon' - a cross between a Cavalier King Charles and a Bichon. My neighbour has such a dog and my kids fell in love with his friendly disposition and I loved the fact that they dont shed a great deal. Personally I dont care what name is put on the breed but its a lot easier to buy one when they have a 'made up name' then simply looking for a 'mutt'. I paid €280 for my 'mutt' - I dont think I was ripped off in any way. For those who prefer the 'pure breed' great - but each to their own.

I know you're using the term 'mutt' sarcastically but it really is a mutt. I have a mutt that I didnt pay for, I also have a purebred. I dont care about that but I can think of better things to spend €280 on, especially when there are so many dogs in need of homes out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Our cross breeds all have designer breed names.:p

Elliott is the Dobiebull (doberman x pitbull)
    Ozzie is the Dopeydor (labrador who’s not the brightest)
    Bonnie is the Gerbil Shepard (shep/collie who keeps chewing through things)
    Finlay doesn’t have a designer breed name as he’s too many nicknames due to his personality. He’s mainly known as Cold Water or Arse & Pockets.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

It has been suggested to me that my rescue girl may have some poodle in her.
    I have therefore taken to calling her a pot noodle (in private only of course as, no doubt, some noodlebrain would go looking for one :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Not sure what she is (except beautiful to us;)), she was handed in to pound as a rottweiller/labrador x, badly docked tail and all, and thats what they told us she was. Never for one second believed it. She's a mutt and thats just fine by us, would never pay money for a crossbreed just because it was given a daft name.

Advertisement