Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Full Ironman in cork next year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Diego Murphy

Going to cycle the route for the first time on Sunday. Living on the route so know most of the roads but just haven't done it in one circuit.

Will decide on Sunday if a TT or a road bike is best to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

good stuff Diego, let us know your thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Anyone doing the Double Oly in Athy in the run up to IM Cork?

3 weeks beforehand. A little too close, but very few other options. I am not travelling to Lough Cutra

3 weeks beforehand. A little too close, but very few other options. I am not travelling to Lough Cutra

Unless it's part of a tried and trusted routine, I wouldn't recommend doing a double Olympic that close to the event. The general recommendation is to do an event like that 6-8 weeks out. 3 weeks is very very close and a time when a lot of people will actually start to taper.

I did hear the other night that apparently there's an informal half ironman being organised on the youghal route. Think it might be Midleton cycling club that's organising this (I could be wrong). Might be worth contacting them, rather than trying to squeeze an event in at the wrong time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭griffin100

A double Olympic is less than 6hrs of effort. If I remember from my first IM many years ago Fink had me cycling for 6 hrs and running for 3 hrs over two day 3 weeks out. I suppose it depend on the effort, maybe racing hard for 6hrs could be detrimental but a steady paced effort could be beneficial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

nothing is too close its just depends how you do it.
    now i would not reccomend a half for an unfit person the week before but for very fit people even the week before can work and 2 -3 weeks is actually a good time at the end of the training and is a good pacing test

but yes the less fit you are the more careful you have to be ....but then again it depends on the pacing especially on the run .

personally i would be quite happy to do a half 2 weeks before a race as i tend to race very well 2 weeks after a race

and i would not be keen to do a race 6-8 week out ( at least not a serious race ) as this is kind of the peak max hours trainig time

at the end it all depends on the experiecnes you should have made over the years how your body reacts and what overall strategy you train with . and what your weakness and strenght are

ie you are afraid of the swim distance in cork me thinks athy is a great practise , if i was worried aoubt the about the waves in open water race or hills i would do hardman waterville and if i was worried aobut fitness i would focus about long bikes rather than doing a race at all . a race is god to sharpen up but if you are not fit there is no need for that and you better focus on fitness

so to say there is an ideal time for a half before a full is not correct.

ie terrenzzo bozzoni does 2 half and a full in 3 weeks 2 times a year with loads of base in between and does quite ok while somebody like lange focuses everthing on 1 race and everthing else is just secondary ( i think lange won his first and only race race in kona last year. his coach thinks he has only so many races in him . 6-8 weeks out i would prefer people to get their longest runs and bike sessions in and yes that can be a race as well but i would demand very conservative pacing depending what we want to get out out it.

but ad the end whats also important is what motivates you if one race does and the other dosnt , or a race gets you out of bed easier than a 6-7 hour bike or you think a desination race will be better than a camp ... it needs to be a bit fun too ...

butrasgali wrote: »
    Has anyone got up windmill hill with a 39 front and 28 rear comfortable..just wondering is that enough

I went up it yesterday with 39 front, 28 rear, on my TT Bike (Ridley Dean RS), which is a lot heavier than my road bike. It was fine tbh. The hill is very short. With all the talk about it, i was anxious coming up to it but it's grand. Only fear on the day would be someone stopping in front of you, or the crowd getting in the way.

jester1980 wrote: »
    good stuff Diego, let us know your thoughts?

Took a few more weeks to get to the route than expected. Here's my take on it and some advice, being local to the area. We all spend a lot of time talking about hills and gearing etc, but one big factor in an Ironman, is where the crowds will be concentrated. This can be a great boost, but you also have to be aware of not getting carried away and hitting a section too fast because of the buzz of the crowd. That's fine on a short sprint but can do you damage over the course of an event that's this long.

I started my spin in Midleton. On the day, you'll have a good fast run into Midleton, after the East Ferry Climb. Expect crowds at Ballinacurra and pockets along the Bailick Road. There's a short right sweep into the centre of the town, and then a sharp left down the main street in Midleton. Expect big crowds to congregate here. Plenty of pubs, so I expect the atmosphere to be cracking. Then it's another sharp right out the Dungourney Road.

The reason I mention the expected crowds at these locations, is because you'll be climbing for 7-8k after this(distances not exact) and you don't want to be getting carried away. It's a lovely steady climb with a nice gradient (guessing 6-7%), so there is a temptation to go too hard and I'm sure plenty of people will sail past with big carbon wheels. Don't be tempted to chase(unless you're within your limits). There's a nice descent after the climbing and then you start going up again towards Mount Uniake. There's a very sharp right to bring you back on the road towards Youghal then. This road is closed to traffic and there are major resurfacing works going on. I was just about able to cycle down there slowly. Given the level of resurfacing that's happening, i'd expect this surface to be really fast once it's finished. This will be a nice fast section for another few k.

Onwards to Youghal, there are some nice fast downhills, with a good number of pulls that will slow you down. TBH, at this stage I was getting anxious about Windmill Hill and that was purely from all the talk about it. I can confirm that there's nothing to worry about. Yes it's steep, but it's very short. I was on a Tri Bike with 39 front 28 back gearing. Really was fine, so stop worrying about it. Just make sure you don't get over excited on it with the inevitable crowds and stay 100% focused. The only way it could go wrong is if you allow yourself to get distracted. Head down, breathe, focus on turning the pedals and you'll be up before you know it. Then enjoy the nice downhill.

After this, I didn't stick exactly to the route because there are a lot of diversions in place. I know those roads pretty well down around Garryvoe and they're kind of 'Lumpy' but nothing difficult in it. You'll motor on to Cloyne and then the next climb is at East Ferry. It goes on for a couple of K but there's nothing difficult in it and the surface is fine. From there it's a very fast downhill towards Ballinacurra and Midleton.

The obvious qs from people have been about what type of bike. Well i've ruled out using my Tri Bike, as I really didn't feel the desire to drop into the bars. I don't use them a huge amount anyway and generally only drop into them on straight motorway stretches. As a rule of thumb for this route, if you're someone that loves using TT bars, then by all means go for it. You'll get to use them on the latter part from Youghal to Cloyne and maybe if you fancy a steady climb in them to Dungourney. Mount Uniake to Youghal would be much more of a challenge in them on the windy roads with lots of ups and downs.

If you are any way hesitant about tri bars and you generally prefer not using them, then don't bother with a tri bike for this. Use a road bike.

My overall opinion of the route is that I think it's fantastic. I've always lived in East Cork but this has taken in roads that I don't know and the scenery is spectacular and anyone, no matter where you're from will enjoy it. I did IM Barcelona last October and that bike route is very boring on a main road with very little of interest on it. Barcelona was much faster of course (i did 6:15 for the bike leg-I expect it to be anything up to 7:30 for Cork). The route will keep you engaged throughout and there really isn't any free speed on it but I promise that you'll enjoy it.

Just keep in mind throughout, that you have a marathon to do at the end. There are lots of short pulls which if you burst up, could destroy your legs for the marathon. It's not a route that you can get away with minimal training on so keep clocking the miles beforehand. But if you've trained regularly, you will really really enjoy it, I promise!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

That's a great description Diego, and from someone who obviously knows their 'tri'.

Here's OldVelos latest blog of the road between 7.5 and 20 miles!

http://www.oldvelos.com/the-ironman-ireland-route-miles-7-5-to-20/

Hope all your training is going well,

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Just as a general point if you use bars just on a straight motorway than there is something wrong about your bike fit.
    If you plan to spend 7.30 the bike I guess your choice for road bike is right. At the same time what's the point of a tt bike if you can't use it proper as you dont fit on it
    Or have bike handling issues. I think that's something you could work on.

Good report!

Took a few more weeks to get to the route than expected. Here's my take on it and some advice, being local to the area. We all spend a lot of time talking about hills and gearing etc, but one big factor in an Ironman, is where the crowds will be concentrated. This can be a great boost, but you also have to be aware of not getting carried away and hitting a section too fast because of the buzz of the crowd. That's fine on a short sprint but can do you damage over the course of an event that's this long.

I started my spin in Midleton. On the day, you'll have a good fast run into Midleton, after the East Ferry Climb. Expect crowds at Ballinacurra and pockets along the Bailick Road. There's a short right sweep into the centre of the town, and then a sharp left down the main street in Midleton. Expect big crowds to congregate here. Plenty of pubs, so I expect the atmosphere to be cracking. Then it's another sharp right out the Dungourney Road.

The reason I mention the expected crowds at these locations, is because you'll be climbing for 7-8k after this(distances not exact) and you don't want to be getting carried away. It's a lovely steady climb with a nice gradient (guessing 6-7%), so there is a temptation to go too hard and I'm sure plenty of people will sail past with big carbon wheels. Don't be tempted to chase(unless you're within your limits). There's a nice descent after the climbing and then you start going up again towards Mount Uniake. There's a very sharp right to bring you back on the road towards Youghal then. This road is closed to traffic and there are major resurfacing works going on. I was just about able to cycle down there slowly. Given the level of resurfacing that's happening, i'd expect this surface to be really fast once it's finished. This will be a nice fast section for another few k.

Onwards to Youghal, there are some nice fast downhills, with a good number of pulls that will slow you down. TBH, at this stage I was getting anxious about Windmill Hill and that was purely from all the talk about it. I can confirm that there's nothing to worry about. Yes it's steep, but it's very short. I was on a Tri Bike with 39 front 28 back gearing. Really was fine, so stop worrying about it. Just make sure you don't get over excited on it with the inevitable crowds and stay 100% focused. The only way it could go wrong is if you allow yourself to get distracted. Head down, breathe, focus on turning the pedals and you'll be up before you know it. Then enjoy the nice downhill.

After this, I didn't stick exactly to the route because there are a lot of diversions in place. I know those roads pretty well down around Garryvoe and they're kind of 'Lumpy' but nothing difficult in it. You'll motor on to Cloyne and then the next climb is at East Ferry. It goes on for a couple of K but there's nothing difficult in it and the surface is fine. From there it's a very fast downhill towards Ballinacurra and Midleton.

The obvious qs from people have been about what type of bike. Well i've ruled out using my Tri Bike, as I really didn't feel the desire to drop into the bars. I don't use them a huge amount anyway and generally only drop into them on straight motorway stretches. As a rule of thumb for this route, if you're someone that loves using TT bars, then by all means go for it. You'll get to use them on the latter part from Youghal to Cloyne and maybe if you fancy a steady climb in them to Dungourney. Mount Uniake to Youghal would be much more of a challenge in them on the windy roads with lots of ups and downs.

If you are any way hesitant about tri bars and you generally prefer not using them, then don't bother with a tri bike for this. Use a road bike.

My overall opinion of the route is that I think it's fantastic. I've always lived in East Cork but this has taken in roads that I don't know and the scenery is spectacular and anyone, no matter where you're from will enjoy it. I did IM Barcelona last October and that bike route is very boring on a main road with very little of interest on it. Barcelona was much faster of course (i did 6:15 for the bike leg-I expect it to be anything up to 7:30 for Cork). The route will keep you engaged throughout and there really isn't any free speed on it but I promise that you'll enjoy it.

Just keep in mind throughout, that you have a marathon to do at the end. There are lots of short pulls which if you burst up, could destroy your legs for the marathon. It's not a route that you can get away with minimal training on so keep clocking the miles beforehand. But if you've trained regularly, you will really really enjoy it, I promise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Went down on saturday and did the course sat afternoon and again sunday morning, my plan was to use road bike sat and tri bike sunday, However i found a big crack on my road bike frame down near the back wheel last week so that was a no go, im very inexperienced on the tri bike over sprint distance so got 100 km in last week as longest ever bike on it.

So now to the course, I really think the first 50 km of the course is good up to Middelton, definately some fast sections and i was down on the bars the first 15km, ive been on my tri bike all winter on the turbo so also like to climb down on the bars if not steep. In the first 50 km there was maybe 2 climbs of note, one about 40 km was steep enough but nothing different that a normal steep hill. We didnt go out too fast as just getting used to course and i think we hit middelton in about 27km/ph or just under, a little stop starting with directions and traffic.

From middelton theres a tougher 15/16 k ahead, first long climb goes on a fair bit but its not a very high gradient so found it fine down on the bars, was maybe 6kish, then some down hills into the next long hill which again is similar maybe 5k ish, prob the toughest part of course but not a killer, then its a right turn back towards Youghal direction, roads are horrific here but they are relaying a big section, after this section was worse though with very fast down hill with hundreds of potholes so hopefully they are sorting this too, you are maybe looking at a very nice 12/13 k here.

Just around the 80 k marker they have a lovely hill of about 2 k, reminded me of howth climb on howth side but not as long, then you have very fast section back in towards Windmill hill, first attempt on this was awful as came at it in wrong gear, next day better and no issues, probbaly 250 of horrendous climbing with hill hitting 23% and then gets easier with 150 m smaller incline, then its lovely downhill back towards transition.

I think my road bike issue was a blessing in disguise as i will definately use my tri bike, legs were fresh enough when did small 20 min brick after each circuit.

Any questions shoot away.

Hi all,

Here's our take on the first section of the cycle: http://www.oldvelos.com/the-ironman-ireland-route-miles-0-7%C2%BD/ Good luck all with the training.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jnk883

Taking from IM Cork Visitor info page on facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/618328971920506/permalink/678335622586507/0

Updated Bike Route:
    We've made a few changes to the bike route which will make it faster and safer overall. Driven mainly by the need to reduce traffic on sections of route, this final draft goes past Fr O'Neill's GAA on the approach to Ballymacoda instead of the road that currently has a lot of pipelayying works and we fear may not be ready for race day.
    This is about 8.5K into the route and is a much straighter road with a smoother surface.

Next change is the loop towards Kilcredan School from the coast road at 18K - it's now Gone - 1st horrible hill removed! Simply keep going sraight with Ballycotton Bay on your left, heading for Garryvoe and Cloyne.
    On the approach to Cloyne there are roadworks currently putting in an absolutely super surface for you - there may be diversions here on weekdays so bear with us.

Biggest change is in Cloyne. Instead of going straight across the junction in the village you now turn left to pass the Round Tower and after about 2K you'll turn right and follow an L-road to link in with the R630 just below the original junction at Whitewell.
    This section is faster than the previous route and will definitely bring a smile to the TT rider's face! There is some work to be done on this road and we understand this will happen in early June.

Next change is in Saleen Village. The left in the village that took you up a wooded hill is now also GONE. You just stay on the R-630 heading towards Ballinacurra. It's still a hill but it's a better surface and it's over-with sooner.

The rest of the route remains the same until you return to Youghal. A final change is simply the lane that you turn up before Windmill Hill. Previously Church Street, we felt this lane was too tight and if wet the cobbled surface here will be too slippy so we've moved you to the next street DeValera Street, opposite Super Valu/AIB Bank.

The aid stations will happen at Garryvoe (23K), Leahy's Open Farm (62K) and Summerfield in Youghal (by the Greyhound track) (89K).

In total, the route now comes in at 179.8K and 1900m of climbing. Athletes who have tested it out in the last week are feeding back that it's as much as 15min faster per lap.
    My advice is for anyone teetering between Road or TT that it's now undoubtedly a TT bike course.

Road Works are ongoing at a number of locations around the route with more surfaces to be put on the road at Morley's cross and new repairs due at Cloyne Village before race day.
    Roads will be swept for race day and a final repair will be done on any last-minute isses so it'll be impressive on June 23rd - Cork County Council deserve to be prasied for their works on the roads as they are really pulling out all the stops!
    In the meantime don't expect to fly around the route as you will on race day, our advice is to comply with diversions and bring a map to allow you find alternative routes (we've suggested some in previous posts). Yes roads will be unswept at present - a heavy shower can bring gravel and mud onto sections so they won't be cleaned up until the days immediately pre-race.

This revised route has been sent to the IT department to be updated shortly on the official IRONMAN web page and we hope locally to get out and re-mark the revisions with the now-familiar red M-dots and arrows for you. (Hope to do that this Friday or Saturday).
    John Walnutt will publish these details on the athlete facebook channels in the coming days and another FbLive may also come out relating.

Remember that we ride on the left in Ireland, as close to the left as is safe, 2-abreast in groups but be courteous to other road users and try to not hold up traffic for too long.
    Share the road and Stay Safe.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28976755

Hi all,

Hopefully the words make sense of Windmill Hill

http://www.oldvelos.com/the-iron-man-ireland-route-miles-47%C2%BD-56/

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭paddlepop

if anyone looking for accommodation my pitch is now available. Please PM me for details. I have a campervan site for 4 nights booked from the 21st June in Clonvilla Youghal.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Alistair Brownlee is down for this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Good men's field in general, might be worth a trip down for a look!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Fair play to the Youghal organisers, not sure how it all works behind the scenes but they seem to be setting up for a fantastic event. Its only the first year for this but somehow they have managed some major coups for the events. Its made the list of events to be streamed live on Facebook, Mike Reilly (the voice of ironman) is onboard for Cork and now the poster boy for triathlon in the UK, Ali Brownlee is coming as well...

I think it will be an outstanding event

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

brownlee during his interview after the leeds race said maybe or possibly he would be doing cork, very non committal ,
    admittedly he was just after a poor race so his mood might not have been great, but i wouldnt be banking on him being there just yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

woody1 wrote: »
    brownlee during his interview after the leeds race said maybe or possibly he would be doing cork, very non committal ,
    admittedly he was just after a poor race so his mood might not have been great, but i wouldnt be banking on him being there just yet

I'd say he was dealing with the realization that he won't be going to Tokyo 2020 to defend his title & even said afterwards that he might retire.
    He had said recently that he would decide after his home race in Leeds and that he would only go if he felt he could be competitive and not to make up the numbers.
    After finishing 44th at Leeds he immediately told the BBC host broadcaster that he might retire after such a chastening loss.

After such a bad race, the last thing on his mind was Ironman Cork.

• Advertisement

Hi all, especially you athletes,

OldVelos has recorded this song and video in your honour. Hope ye enjoy it. Also OldVelos Route Companion is available on www.oldvelos.com

https://youtu.be/oX8TGgDehiQ

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭TriFirst

PWEI wrote: »
    I'd say he was dealing with the realization that he won't be going to Tokyo 2020 to defend his title & even said afterwards that he might retire.
    He had said recently that he would decide after his home race in Leeds and that he would only go if he felt he could be competitive and not to make up the numbers.
    After finishing 44th at Leeds he immediately told the BBC host broadcaster that he might retire after such a chastening loss.

After such a bad race, the last thing on his mind was Ironman Cork.

He only recently won The European championships for a fourth time (over the standard distance) but I think his ability to compete over the sprint distance is beyond him. He just doesnt seem to be able to produce the flat running speed off the bike anymore over 5km. No doubt his recent injuries and advancing years havent helped. I think he should focus on longer distances now. Gomez seems to be able to compete still at the sprint distance but he's helped by having the motivation of the Olympics next year which Brownlee doesnt have given hes already won it twice. Personally Id be very surprised to see him in Cork but you never know.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Cona wrote: »
    Fair play to the Youghal organisers, not sure how it all works behind the scenes but they seem to be setting up for a fantastic event. Its only the first year for this but somehow they have managed some major coups for the events. Its made the list of events to be streamed live on Facebook, Mike Reilly (the voice of ironman) is onboard for Cork and now the poster boy for triathlon in the UK, Ali Brownlee is coming as well...

I think it will be an outstanding event

+1

Good writeup here on all the work being done by the locals, county council, organisers, volunteers etc ..

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/specialreports/youghal-is-being-transformed-as-it-gets-ready-to-welcome-the-ironman-triathlon-929685.html

Race memories for the average punter doing these events whilst managing busy lives are made up of among other things .. the preparation, the race and the location experience.

I get the feeling Youghal is leaving no stone unturned, no pothole un filled, no building unpainted , in an effort to make the location experience as good as possible. Fair play to them. I hope they weather gods play ball and they create a buzz around Youghal IM that will carry into the next 2 years races.

Also Ive no doubt this level of effort is and has been put into many sporting events taking place all over Irl every year.
    Its one of the (many) things the Irish do best.

Its a pity its only Alistair BRownlee thats signed up for Youghal IM ..
    If it was his brother Johnny .. we could have called him Johnny 'Jump Up' Brownlee for the day ...

Well,I'll tell you a story that happened to me
    One day as I went out to Youghal by the sea
    The day it was hot, the sun it was warm
    Says I "A quick pint wouldn't do any harm"
    I went in and called for a bottle of stout
    Says the barman,"I'm sorry the beer's all sold out
    Try whiskey, young Paddy, ten years in the wood"
    Says I, "I'll have cider; I've heard that it's good."

CHORUS
    But I'll never, oh never, oh never again
    If I live to a hundred or a hundred and ten
    Well I fell to the ground and I couldn't get up
    After drinking the quart of the Johnny-Jump-Up .......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

What time do ye reckon the first athletes will be coming in at?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

thorsten was putting brownlee at 8:06 (7:55 to 8:26)

and everyone else slower :)

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Mossy,

Where are you seeing this from Thorsten? I had a look but can't find it.

Would like to read what he says about it.

Cheers,

NT

won't take you long to read it, it was on his twitter feed

https://twitter.com/ThRadde/status/1141210755653672960

RIGOLO wrote: »
    +1

Also Ive no doubt this level of effort is and has been put into many sporting events taking place all over Irl every year.
    Its one of the (many) things the Irish do best.

don't mention that too loudly to folks that suffered the "Irish doing things best" at galway

i think it's great to see the IM races doing well here, IM brings a certain level of quality and expectation of experience that some will argue is worth the price, some will argue is not. either way, hopefully this goes well at the weekend and gets a strong rep as a really good race

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Swim will be shortened, question is by how much.....

• Advertisement

well any questions on him racing/not racing are answered.

https://twitter.com/TBT_UK_and_IRL/status/1141677606611378177

Advertisement