Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Umbrella Academy [Netflix] [**SPOILERS**]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Basq wrote: »
    Thought the second season was fantastic..

.. the first season was good but felt much more like setting the scene.

It really found its feet this year.

hmmmm.... second season took a while to get going. Didn't enjoy the filler scenes too much either.

Don't get me wrong I really liked it, just feared the worst halfway through.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I watched the final 2 episodes tonight. I watched the 2 seasons back to back over the last 3 weeks or so.

I really enjoyed it. Trying to get the wife to watch it. I'd watch it again.

I think the 2nd season was better than 1st and I also thought Aidan Gallagher was brilliant. He's only 16!
    FunLover18 wrote: »

Final episode:
    I'm very excited about the setup for season 3, seeing these actors play new versions of themselves in this alternate future should be fun.
    I didn't take it that way. I thought they were new characters, apart from Ben. Did the shadows look like the original gang? Maybe I missed that.

Also,
    the new academy is called The Sparrow Academy. Harlen was making a wooden sparrow float in the back of the car when Sissy was driving to California. One of the 'new' group has something floating beside them on the balcony. Harlen must have a connection with the new group.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Wheety wrote: »
    I didn't take it that way. I thought they were new characters, apart from Ben. Did the shadows look like the original gang? Maybe I missed that.

I'd be surprised if that was the case for budget reasons
    hiring a bunch of new recurring actors[/SPOILERS]

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if that was the case for budget reasons
    hiring a bunch of new recurring actors

Your spolier tag is broken there :eek:

I don't think that would be a reason for them not to do it. I haven't read the comics so I don't know if they already have this storyline covered.

But the alternate Ben didn't recognise the original group. If they looked like his siblings, would he have said "Who the hell are these a**holes?"

https://i.imgur.com/kFr4Zhq.jpg

I mean that could be them but looks like different silhouettes to me. Could be Luther on the right but without the gorilla dna. Either way, I'll be watching next season. Could be a bit of a wait though if they haven't filmed it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,139 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I think Way has said hes writing a new volume.

The last issue apparently did reveal a whole new team but I think they were moreso the Russian variant of the Umbrella Academy?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It's probably
    after the disappointment he felt after meeting them for dinner, he chose different babies in the new timeline and since he hadn't met Ben he got him again

What happened to
    the younger No. 5 (who looks a lot older)? He was kicked into 2019 where the family where at the start of season 1. Is that now an alternate universe?

think they just set it up as how it started before. Like if that happened you, would you want to say you had your a$$ kicked by an 11 year old?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I thought S2 was brilliant. Very well done. Although preferred S1 ending.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Theory for if and when Season 3 is green lit.
    The Handler now haunts Klaus instead of Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 17,746 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

flazio wrote: »
    Theory for if and when Season 3 is green lit.
    The Handler now haunts Klaus instead of Ben
    But wouldnt he have to summon her? With Ben he had to make a conscious effort to bring him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Just finished series 1 and skipped to here at post 129, after which spoilers added.

Just here to recommend it those pretty much tired of superhero stuff, like I am. I had watched the first episode and thought it interesting, and different enough from the usual Marvel and DC stuff to make it worth a punt, but decided to leave it at that. A friend of mine with similar tv interests said I should retry it, and I'm really glad I did. It has its pacing issues etc, but its amusing wild storyline just gets better and better as an ensemble piece (obviously with No. 5 as standout), with lots of lovely touches.
    Really looking forward to series 2, which apparently is even better.

Actually, I think I'll add this to the Netflix recommendations thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Kinda forgot to finish this, so only got through season 2. Much stronger iteration this time with a more streamlined plot. Vanya still a bit of a weak link but the rest of the cast were fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 84,914 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Renewed for season 3 with Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 15,727 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Really liked this, and I'm not a superhero series or movie fan at all.
    Not one garish superhero costume with the underpants on the outside to be seen.

With the way netflix have been going lately, may need to wait until it's released before accepting it's actually getting a season 3

Wonder if this will affect the character

https://tvline.com/2020/12/01/elliot-page-transgender-nonbinary-comes-out-ellen/

Season 1 the character was seemingly heterosexual. Season 2 lesbian/bi. Season 3 Transgender? Though what would the male form of Vanya be if they went that route?
    Think they were probably the least popular character in it anyway

I cant see Vanya becoming Vladya so she either puts up with being Vanya or it'll be recasted. This show wouldn't have a problem with recasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

They could just make it part of the narrative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭brevity

They’ll be fine. Loads of his co-starts left messages of support and it’s probably something that has been mentioned in private.

With a show like Umbrella Academy I doubt it will be an issue.

Was S3 not starting production already? Thought I saw an update on twitter it had.

If S3 is already wrote I cant see it being rewrote?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

pjohnson wrote: »
    Was S3 not starting production already? Thought I saw an update on twitter it had.

If S3 is already wrote I cant see it being rewrote?
    Think it was just commissioned lately.. so I'd say writing may be not too far along.

Basq wrote: »
    Think it was just commissioned lately.. so I'd say writing may be not too far along.

Ah whoops my bad then. It likely wont be much of an issue I guess. Possibly a bit jarring to include in so far as its not actually been hinted at for Vanya before but with enough time Way can authentically include it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Just after finishing the second season which we really enjoyed. Characters were more tightly written and the plot gelled better. Seems like the writers had a good bit of fun in it, with some strong comedy moments.

As to Ellen Page's news - honestly, this is the perfect show to work this into the plot line and will go nicely with the theme of family for the new season of 'The Sparrow Academy'.

ixoy wrote: »

As to Ellen Page's news -

blooming?

Edit... couldn't have been more wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭blue note

Why would this affect the character? What difference does it make whether it's Ellen or elliot pretending to be vanya?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

blue note wrote: »
    Why would this affect the character? What difference does it make whether it's Ellen or elliot pretending to be vanya?
    I would imagine that Elliot Page would feel quite strongly about the issue and look to see it represented on the screen in some form and it's something the writers and show runners could well agree too. But yes, it may not come up at all - we don't know yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I just did a quick google, apparently she will continue to play Vanya..

https://www.cbr.com/netflix-umbrella-academy-elliot-page-vanya/

thankfully, he's a great actor..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Wonder if the extra 22% they will have to pay him now have an impact on the financial viability of the show

Advertisement