Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xiaomi Mi Drone 4k - 393 euro including delivery

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Sry to hijack this, but just wondering has anyone had a problem with communication between phone and drone.. having issues with my 5T pairing up..?? Have to delete the app each time to get it going

While I've being focused on my connection issues between RC and drone, got rectified thanks to FB group of same, I noticed that the green led wasn't flashing but on further inspection and comparison I noticed a bigger gap on the arm compared to other one... FB group advise not to fly it as it'll crash. 3 months waiting for this... FML....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Sorry to hear of your troubles MorganIRL.

I finally got around to actually giving mine a spin this morning.
    Very pleased with the performance. Really smooth flying and surprisingly quick if not in beginners mode.

Remember to start of slow and learn how to use the software.
    I'm going to spend the day flying around my garden and annoying my dog :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

Has anybody taken their drone on a flight? I assume it needs to be taken as carry on... I have the mi drone 4k and the backpack style case, is there a limit to the number of spare batteries that I can bring?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

MorganIRL wrote:
    While I've being focused on my connection issues between RC and drone, got rectified thanks to FB group of same, I noticed that the green led wasn't flashing but on further inspection and comparison I noticed a bigger gap on the arm compared to other one... FB group advise not to fly it as it'll crash. 3 months waiting for this... FML....

Can you share a pic? Sounds awful..

• Advertisement

JoseJones wrote:
    Has anybody taken their drone on a flight? I assume it needs to be taken as carry on... I have the mi drone 4k and the backpack style case, is there a limit to the number of spare batteries that I can bring?

Never taken my mi drone abroad, the last time I had 3 battery packs for the mavic air with me in carry on with no issues.

tedpan wrote: »
    Can you share a pic? Sounds awful..

Well I decided not to wait for banggood to get back to me, if ever, and done the baking soda and super glue option which was suggested in FB grp of drone. Done a test fly and it didn't fall from the sky. I'll attach a pic of what it looked like before I glued. What I will say it's a savage drone for someone that wants it for the craic. I'm only a hobbyist but it's so easy to fly and I never had a drone before.

Maybe it was damaged in transit? That looks like it took a heavy shock, very disappointing that it's cracked that badly..

Anyway, glad you're happy with it, the technology is amazing. Can't wait to get my hands on one of these..

Going on from my earlier post re: damage. Does anyone know if replacement arms can be gotten. Can't seem to source them from my general search. Can anyone point me towards a more specific site, cause I'm sure my soda and glue trick won't work if I/when I crash

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Going on from my earlier post re: damage. Does anyone know if replacement arms can be gotten. Can't seem to source them from my general search. Can anyone point me towards a more specific site, cause I'm sure my soda and glue trick won't work if I/when I crash

Maybe here - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33016095398.html
    or here - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000173343864.html

The first are for the 2020 model, but iirc all of the fimi x8 models use the same.

• Advertisement

Suckit wrote: »
    Maybe here - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33016095398.html
    or here - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000173343864.html

The first are for the 2020 model, but iirc all of the fimi x8 models use the same.

Thks Suckit, perfect. I might as well order one of each and they'll be here by Xmas.. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

If you know someone with a 3d printer...

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4341510

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

Some words of caution, especially anyone thinking of ordering one of these from Banggood but may apply to other sellers too.
    As some of you may recall I ordered 8th of April from Banggood for shipping from Spain May 15th. After a litany of slipped dates and waffle from Customer Service I eventually got the drone but it arrived in a battered box. I contacted Banggood immediately and sent them all the requested evidence. They assured me they'd follow up within 48 hours. They didn't, nor after 3 more contacts where each time they responded as if I was contacting them for the first time. They even went so far as to point out I was almost out of the 7 day period after receipt to register shipment damage if I didn't respond with the requested info. The same info they'd got first day.

Meanwhile a little cautious test flying revealed problems,. eg the RC 5 way button wouldn't work in most directions - properly broken. But the serious issues were savage video lag, fritzing and pixellating video feed, range that was a a fraction of the spec and worst of all, a failure to enter RTH after a disconnect at just 500m. I got it back but it never reconnected until descending to 30m overhead. I'm a qualified Private Pilot with a lot of drone experience and that was a scary as I've seen, drone 500m away, disconnected but when it momentarily reconnected 40 seconds later it was not in RTH. End of flying it under any circumstances. A screen recording of that flight convinced Banggood to accept it needed replacement. But they wanted it sent to China and not Spain, They wanted me to pay shipping and they would not send a replacement or refund until they confirmed receipt in original condition.

I rejected that "offer", they wouldn't budge - even though I'd paid extra for their optional shipping insurance so I got Paypal involved pointing out the issues and also that returning it with lithium batteries to China might be impossible or cost prohibitive. They ruled I should get a refund as offered but I had to send it to China -at my cost- and if it wasn't 100% my claim would be at risk. Paypal make it impossible to contact them and impose a time limit to upload tracking. So I parceled it all up - properly- and took it to my PO planning to use registered post or failing that their facility as a DHL agent. They wouldn't accept it either way because of the batteries. Postage was initially €48 - before the battery issue surfaced!

So be warned, it gets messy and becomes a Catch 22 where Banggood get no penalty for shipping badly packed goods but the buyer gets screwed. I had cash to fund the Paypal purchase so can't call in a credit card company. But if anyone has experience with shipping lithium battery stuff please let me know.
    Be real careful on early flights, use a screen recorder and if it's your first drone be even more careful, this thing is heavy and fast and half a kilo of lithium flying uncontrolled for 20+minutes doesn't bear thinking about.

Regarding returns, you could ask banggood about returning it without the battery?
    Alternatively you could try using Fedex or UPS - http://www.fedex.com/ie/learn/lithium-batteries.html
    https://www.fedex.com/en-ie/shipping/dangerous-goods/how-to-ship.html
    https://www.ups.com/ie/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/special-care-shipments/batteries.page

And return it (either way) using paypal refunded returns - https://www.paypal.com/ie/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns
    Although I believe that is now capped at €30

But I would also heavily argue the case to paypal that you bought from an EU warehouse that is subject to EU laws and regulations.
    https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/shipping-delivery/index_en.htm#shortcut-2
    and
    https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

I had a similar issue a few years back, and I had a load of hassle convincing paypal that I was covered by EU law.
    I eventually got a full refund, but it wasn't easy.

Some good links there thanks. Paypal take control of all comms then make it absolutely impossible to interact with them and it feels like a bot as they ignored all of the reasons I escalated to them - e.g. anticipated issues with the batteries, having to wait until Banggood decide to admit they got it back.etc
    Banggood are well used to this and it's clear now Paypal doesn't bother them at all.
    I bought from Spain for exactly the reasons you mention but if Paypal can't be engaged and have a clock running on the return or else they cancel the case. I've messaged them via their complaints route explaining the issues with their resolution leaving me worse off than before. But that's part of the flag for people here - I expected to return a problem to Spain so be warned.

I did email Banggood as a courtesy and asked if they can advise how best to achieve a return as instructed by Paypal but I'm not really expecting any cooperation there. In fact Paypal may turn around and decide I've breached the terms of the dispute.
    I may take the battery out - painful as I have it bubble wrapped and sealed into a proper padded bag- but the RC is physically damaged and has a sealed-in Lithium battery.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Daibheid wrote: »
    Some words of caution, especially anyone thinking of ordering one of these from Banggood but may apply to other sellers too.
    As some of you may recall I ordered 8th of April from Banggood for shipping from Spain May 15th. After a litany of slipped dates and waffle from Customer Service I eventually got the drone but it arrived in a battered box. I contacted Banggood immediately and sent them all the requested evidence. They assured me they'd follow up within 48 hours. They didn't, nor after 3 more contacts where each time they responded as if I was contacting them for the first time. They even went so far as to point out I was almost out of the 7 day period after receipt to register shipment damage if I didn't respond with the requested info. The same info they'd got first day.

Meanwhile a little cautious test flying revealed problems,. eg the RC 5 way button wouldn't work in most directions - properly broken. But the serious issues were savage video lag, fritzing and pixellating video feed, range that was a a fraction of the spec and worst of all, a failure to enter RTH after a disconnect at just 500m. I got it back but it never reconnected until descending to 30m overhead. I'm a qualified Private Pilot with a lot of drone experience and that was a scary as I've seen, drone 500m away, disconnected but when it momentarily reconnected 40 seconds later it was not in RTH. End of flying it under any circumstances. A screen recording of that flight convinced Banggood to accept it needed replacement. But they wanted it sent to China and not Spain, They wanted me to pay shipping and they would not send a replacement or refund until they confirmed receipt in original condition.

I rejected that "offer", they wouldn't budge - even though I'd paid extra for their optional shipping insurance so I got Paypal involved pointing out the issues and also that returning it with lithium batteries to China might be impossible or cost prohibitive. They ruled I should get a refund as offered but I had to send it to China -at my cost- and if it wasn't 100% my claim would be at risk. Paypal make it impossible to contact them and impose a time limit to upload tracking. So I parceled it all up - properly- and took it to my PO planning to use registered post or failing that their facility as a DHL agent. They wouldn't accept it either way because of the batteries. Postage was initially €48 - before the battery issue surfaced!

So be warned, it gets messy and becomes a Catch 22 where Banggood get no penalty for shipping badly packed goods but the buyer gets screwed. I had cash to fund the Paypal purchase so can't call in a credit card company. But if anyone has experience with shipping lithium battery stuff please let me know.
    Be real careful on early flights, use a screen recorder and if it's your first drone be even more careful, this thing is heavy and fast and half a kilo of lithium flying uncontrolled for 20+minutes doesn't bear thinking about.

Was the drone physically damaged when you received it?, or just the box?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭garion

My drone arrived today! AliExpress, no customs charges, ordered on June 20th.

Seems to be well packaged with strong bubble wrap around the Fimi box. Drone looks in perfect condition... will hopefully bring it out for a spin later today or tomorrow.

Mine arrived today from spain.

Im still in work so havent got my hands on it yet

No bubble wrap on mine and the box wasnt damaged.

https://ibb.co/HnPHqs3

Drone looks fine

What defects,if any, should i be looking for guys?

Was the drone physically damaged when you received it?, or just the box?

The box lid was perforated by the motor spindles in about 4 different sets of 4 holes as the internal packaging had been torn free of the glue holding it to the outer carton indicating at least four different crush incidents the arms showed a little distortion but the 5 way switch is very much broken. The crushed corners are evidence of hi shock loads which were exacerbated when the internal insert came adrift. I'm surprised there weren't more cracks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Mine arrived today from spain.

Im still in work so havent got my hands on it yet

I ordered on April 22nd, it was shipped on the 18th of July (Spain), the last tracking info shows it leaving the parcel centre in the UK on the 22nd of July. No sign of it since. Anyone else stuck in this phase?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Mine is out for delivery since 8am this morning according to the tracker.

Ordered 17 June from Fimi shop on Ali

The FIMI is now €361 now on Aliexpress + 8.25% cashback (roughly €30)
    If they still guarantee no extra charges when it arrives it works out at €330 delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭pete6296

Suckit wrote: »
    The FIMI is now €361 now on Aliexpress + 8.25% cashback (roughly €30)
    If they still guarantee no extra charges when it arrives it works out at €330 delivered

Thanks, how do you get the 8.25% cashback?

pete6296 wrote: »
    Thanks, how do you get the 8.25% cashback?

- Click the aliexpress cashback linked above (or just search aliexpress on the site) and then go to the FIMI store link.
    Purchase the drone and they should have a record of it, the cashback will appear as pending and then you can redeem it.

Is everyone just buying Fimi drones? OR are people still getting MiDrone 4K's?

If people are still buying the MiDrone 4K, and you're sick of it taking up space in your house cos you got bored of it, I'm usually crashing them into walls or trees and breaking them, so generally on the lookout for replacement drones, if anyone wants to sell their old 4Ks.

(I've no interest in the Fimi drone, though, just the MiDrone - think the Fimi might be too small for my intended use).

:)

Alright lads,

Finally got around to take the fimi for its maiden voyage today.

The drone is so much fun and flys really well.

I recorded in 4k when i got back to the house i uploaded straight from the SD card to YouTube and they compressed the video down to 360p and it looks dreadful but when I play the 4k video file directly on my Nvidia Shield TV, the quality is stunning.

Is there anyway to stop youtube compressing the video?

I'm completely new to this and have no idea.

If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be great

Cheers lads

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Couple of weeks into owning mine now and must say I bloody love it.

Is there an option for using zoom in live flight other than SAR mode?
    Got to keep an eye out for some batteries too if I keep using it as often as I am, the auto tracking in particular is great craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭garion

Alright lads,

Finally got around to take the fimi for its maiden voyage today.

The drone is so much fun and flys really well.

I recorded in 4k when i got back to the house i uploaded straight from the SD card to YouTube and they compressed the video down to 360p and it looks dreadful but when I play the 4k video file directly on my Nvidia Shield TV, the quality is stunning.

Is there anyway to stop youtube compressing the video?

I'm completely new to this and have no idea.

If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be great

Cheers lads

When you upload to YouTube it first does SD but takes longer to process HD. Usually a 1GB upload will take a few hours for HD. Happens automatically if it was recorded in 4k or HD.

When viewing the YouTube video check the quality setting. Once HD is processed you should see all the resolution options.

• Advertisement

garion wrote: »
    When you upload to YouTube it first does SD but takes longer to process HD. Usually a 1GB upload will take a few hours for HD. Happens automatically if it was recorded in 4k or HD.

When viewing the YouTube video check the quality setting. Once HD is processed you should see all the resolution options.

Thanks for the reply, the video is on there in 4k now.

The quality of the camera is really really good

Advertisement