Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Necro and Friend's Walrus

Options
  • 12-08-2019 3:03am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well it's taken a while... but here it is folks.

What is Walrus?

Walrus is a game wherein you select music, & other people judge your music. Standard Walrus usually has 1 host who selects all the categories, & a bunch of people submit songs & the host judges all the songs in each category.

HOWEVER…. This Walrus is slightly different. This category will be adjudged by two individuals – with entirely different tastes and likes/dislikes!

So without further adieu allow me to introduce my co-judge for this Walrus…..

tenor.gif?itemid=3455024

A Friend. Their identity will remain a closely guarded secret until the reveal, but never fear – they do actually exist… allegedly.

Why are we doing this?

Necro: I want to hear more music. I wouldn’t say my personality is designed by music, but I love listening to it. I’m not the most talented when it comes to music, although I do sing in public on occasion, but I would say I have a very diverse range of stuff I will listen to. I’m not influenced per se by anyone when it comes to music, though my tendencies do turn to the familiar a lot. What can I say, I’m a lazy arse.
    A Friend: I was dragged into this kicking and screaming by Necro. :D Jokes aside, I’m looking forward to this.

What kind of music are we into?

Necro: Bit of everything. Main genres I would listen to are pop, rap, some hip-hop, country and western, rock and some Irish folk music when I’m feeling like chilling. I do like dance music, but I’m an old school 90s child tbh, techno and electronic music don’t really do it for me. Reggae is another that’s really hit and miss, and songs where the lead singer screams at me like I ran over his dog have me turning the dial almost instantly. Favourite band (shock, horror) of all time is Oasis. I just love their stuff, either the snarling vocals of Liam or the softer mellower sound of Noel. I’m also for my sins a big Westlife fan, it mainly began as they were from nearby, but then I just actually liked their stuff – and I’m not even slightly apologetic about it! Modern music in the last 5 years I really can’t get into sadly, either through lack of time or because I consider it horrendous. As a result whilst I like songs from certain artists, I don’t really have a favourite per se.

A Friend: Hmm, my interests, I don't mean to be that person but I will give almost anything a go. I'm up for opening my horizons on this too as part of the point of partaking in the game. I can't think of any 'Nope' beyond...Metal is cool, but tread lightly with Doom or Death metal. I would like to keep this musical!:pac:

So, after our lengthy introduction that probably only 3 people will read, here are our categories. Reminder to send your choices via PM. Just a small note that due to time constraints sign-ups for this Walrus will be limited to 15 entries.

Categories:

The Ballad of Chacey Lain: A croony love song or an anthem of power? We just LOVE our ballads. Send us one that you just can’t get out of your head.

Favourite Irish Song: As song-writing goes, we're a nation which punches well above its weight and competes with the world's best. Give us a song that you love which is written by an Irish songwriter/band.
    The song has to be written by a songwriter from the Republic or Northern Ireland, but the version you like/submit can be performed by a singer/band of any nationality. Rough example: Bono wrote 'One', and U2's original version is famous, but Johnny Cash put his own refined spin on it which is also well known and generally liked.

A Song For Europe: Before the Eurovision became a political contest largely dominated by Eastern Bloc loyalties, it was a legitimately fun and novel contest each year. Submit us a song from an artist that contested the Eurovision at any stage in time.

Lord/Lady of the Dance: One of Necro’s favourite things about music is how it makes people hit the floor and get their boogie on when they hear a certain song. Send us one that gets you on your feet and grooving everytime you hear it!!

'Forever Young': So many artists have been taken from us in their prime or before their time, but not without leaving some treasure for us to sift through for the rest of our own days. Give us a song from one of those artists who means a lot to you.

Note: It can be a member of a band either, and it doesn't have to be the singer/main songwriter. For instance, Led Zeppelin effectively called it a day and were never the same again after the premature death of their drummer John Bonham.

Best Song In The World: All of the Walrus categories so far have been catered to various tastes and topics. But let us see what YOU think we would like. Pick your favourite song ever and submit it to us.

And that's it. Sign Ups are now open, and we'll keep them open until 26th August, or when the 15 person limit has been reached, whichever is sooner.

Reveal will take place in early September across maybe a week or possibly two (but no longer than that, A Friend has other pressing commitments in late September!)

Hope you enjoy our categories, send your entry via PM to Necro and he'll endeavour to share with A Friend.

The intention of the mystery judge is not to annoy people btw, it's to keep a bit of mystique about the contest and have a bit of craic at the same time. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Uh Necro I think you outed your mate there. Was that on purpose?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Uh Necro I think you outed your mate there. Was that on purpose?

Well spotted ;)

See? I'm one of the 3 people who read the intro obviously. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

I don't know why I have to hurt myself like this, but I'm in

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

tusk wrote: »
    I don't know why I have to hurt myself like this, but I'm in

It's alright. A Friend will be kind most likely.

I may not be though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

In. Looking forward to getting the wooden spoon :D

I am in.

However, I.must take exception to the below:
    Necro wrote: »

A Song For Europe: Before the Eurovision became a political contest largely dominated by Eastern Bloc loyalties

Only 2 out of 10 victories in the 2010's went to an Eastern bloc country. Defending the integrity of the Eurovision is the hill I will die on. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Some cool categories, will give this a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Ew Eurovision. Bleh barf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Ok Im in.

For the best song in the world, are you looking for our favourite or what we think would be aknowledged as the best song because I know alot my favourite songs wouldn't be considered in the most popular top songs of all time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Interested, but will hold off on signs ups in case anyone new wants to jump in :)

Thanks for the interest so far folks :)

I actually have some good news because in my sleepy state last night I omitted a category :pac:

Updating the OP now with the extra one. For entries already you can just shoot me a PM with the new category included.

Sorry all, I'm a disaster today :o

Tammy! wrote: »
    Ok Im in.

For the best song in the world, are you looking for our favourite or what we think would be aknowledged as the best song because I know alot my favourite songs wouldn't be considered in the most popular top songs of all time?

Sorry missed this Tammy.

We want to hear your own personal favourites :)

Sorry missed this Tammy.

We want to hear your own personal favourites :)

Thanks Necro

That actually makes it harder to choose...

Actually, if I can go back to the Eurovision one for a sec, just wanna make sure I'm reading it right:

A Song For Europe: Before the Eurovision became a political contest largely dominated by Eastern Bloc loyalties, it was a legitimately fun and novel contest each year. Submit us a song from an artist that contested the Eurovision at any stage in time.

Can this be ANY song by the artist, and not necessarily a song that was at Eurovision? Or must this be a song that actually entered the Eurovision at some point?

Actually, if I can go back to the Eurovision one for a sec, just wanna make sure I'm reading it right:

Can this be ANY song by the artist, and not necessarily a song that was at Eurovision? Or must this be a song that actually entered the Eurovision at some point?

Yup, doesn't necessarily have to be performed at the Eurovision but must be by an artist that competed at some stage in time

Cool, thanks.
    I have plenty of Jedward's greatest hits to choose from then, that's good to know. :)

Cool, thanks.
    I have plenty of Jedward's greatest hits to choose from then, that's good to know. :)

I probably deserve that for making a Eurovision category :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I submitted an actual eurovision song. Oh well, no ragrets :D

iap_300x300.1339826494_r3957gkf.jpg?version=0

4 entries so far :)

Looking forward to getting the playlists ready and giving these a first listen tomorrow now that Sheep is out of the way.

Keep em rolling in folks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Rikand wrote: »
    I submitted an actual eurovision song. Oh well, no ragrets :D

So did I :D

kitten_k wrote: »
    So did I :D

And me :)

10 spaces left folks :)

I'll hopefully get something in this evening for this. I can't miss the Eurovision category. It's my favourite event of the year.

Finally got my entry in, despite boards trying to lose my entire PM. *sweats*

And in an effort to share my love for Eurovision, please all enjoy this majestic half time song from 2016 from Sweden. Better than Riverdance :eek: [\controversial]

Thanks Molly :)

Up to 7 entries now. 8 places remain. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I have listened to a lot of Irish music today! Still no idea what I'll pick

And I've honestly spent about 20yrs trying (unsuccessfully) to work out what my favourite song is, now you've given me a week's deadline?!?! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Yeah I don’t really have one favourite song. Totally depends what mood I’m in. So just gonna pick one I like a lot :)

I have listened to a lot of Irish music today! Still no idea what I'll pick

And I've honestly spent about 20yrs trying (unsuccessfully) to work out what my favourite song is, now you've given me a week's deadline?!?! :p

You're right this is unfair of me.

I actually want it right now. Go!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

You're right this is unfair of me.

I actually want it right now. Go!

:D

Don't you try to panic me into just picking Westlife!

Advertisement