Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Lamping Legal

• 27-12-2009 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭

Can anyone point me to the legislation refering to lamping

I've been lamping for years and full sure its legal but someone has questioned and said that lamping with a rifle is legal but using a shotgun is illegal I'm pretty sure this is wrong but would like some evidence to back it up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭customrifle

Hi the NARGC insures it members for the lamping of foxes so yes its legal. As for the shotgun side of it maybe its the noise factor other person was refering to as most people i know that lamp use moderated rifles

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Section 38 of the Wildlife Act, 1976 as modified by Section 45 of the Wildlife (Amendment) Act, 2000 makes it illegal to use a lamp to hunt protected wild birds or protected wild animals.

Wild animals or birds which are not protected are not covered by that section.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

There are also some exceptions where a special licence (a section 42?) has been granted, which is usually seen with hunting deer at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Sparks wrote: »
    There are also some exceptions where a special licence (a section 42?) has been granted, which is usually seen with hunting deer at night.

There's a farmer I know gets a section 42 for deer with lamping on it. A mate of mine is the nominated stalker on it. the permit was easily enough obtained, but its entirely up to the discretion of the ranger and the ammount of damage being done by the deer.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭zulu_dawn

this a quote from the NARGC website, see link http://www.nargc.ie/site.aspx?language=ENG

"LAMPING FOXES - THE LEGAL POSITION

Section 45 of the Wildlife (Amendment) Act 2000 amends Section 38 of the 1976 Act which applied to the use of lamps, mirrors, dazzling equipment etc., for the purposes of hunting. Section 38 of the '76 Act was substituted by this completely new Section. The amendment states that it will be illegal for any person to hunt any protected wild animal or protected wild bird while using a lamp, light, torch, mirror or other artificial dazzling device. Also prohibited are any devices for illuminating, image intensifying or heat seeking, night sights, or any device which the Minister may declare as coming within this category.

It will be lawful to use such devices while ringing or marking or while hunting for educational or scientific purposes under licence issued by the Minister. The Minister may amend or revoke an order made under this Section. The most important thing for hunting people to know about this Section is that the ban on the use of lamps and the other equipment mentioned, applies only to protected wild birds and protected wild animals. Therefore, contrary to what some people would assert, and have asserted in the past, even people in regulatory positions, it is not illegal to hunt by lamping foxes or rabbits, neither of which are protected and no licence is necessary. This is a question which comes up again and again. However, please note that while it is not illegal to lamp a fox or rabbit from a public road for the purposes of shooting, it most definitely is illegal to shoot from a road. This has always been the case and this distinction needs to be emphasised here. The shot should be taken from inside the field and then at a distance of not less than 60 yards (measured in meters now) from the road and shooting away from the direction of the road. Legally, lamping and shooting are two distinctly different acts."[/I][/I]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭pm.

that sums it up thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

Sparks wrote: »
    Yes section 42 it is, not usually an auto licence to lamp,that is a seperate part of a sec42 which is all as said down to NPWS discretion and more usual with hunting Deer out of season than in darkness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭CZ.

if your a member of the nargc and your local club do you still have to get permission of the land owener aswell or letters of permission to lamp foxes

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

On KFM (Kildare local radio), the presenter, Clem Ryan, recently stated on-air that lamping is illegal. This is the public perception it seems. Clem was commenting on a caller to the station complaining about the disturbing use of lamps at night in her area. There was no reply from any hunting club, association or individual to clarify and correct Clem's error.

I've been lamping over 30 years. Here's to the next 30!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

If it is illegal there will a good few on here heading for the electric chair:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

There was no reply from any hunting club, association or individual to clarify and correct Clem's error.
    That's the problem with shooting's PR in Ireland - folks would prefer to ignore PR as though noone had to do it, and keep the head down and keep quiet, thinking that it'll all go away if noone says anything. They miss the point that when they do so, everyone outside the sport gets whatever picture non-shooters paint of it, regardless of factual errors in that picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

On KFM (Kildare local radio), the presenter, Clem Ryan, recently stated on-air that lamping is illegal. This is the public perception it seems. Clem was commenting on a caller to the station complaining about the disturbing use of lamps at night in her area. There was no reply from any hunting club, association or individual to clarify and correct Clem's error.

I've been lamping over 30 years. Here's to the next 30!!

Sure contact them and prove them wrong.

studio@kfmradio.com

http://www.kfmradio.com/kfm-radio/kfm-presenters/clem-ryan.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Perhaps somebody could post a typical response here that we could copy and paste it and send it to them.

It might prevent somebody from sending a ranting email to the.

I'd do it myself, but TBH I'm not the best at formal writing.

Jonty, that's a very constructive suggestion but sadly, still no help for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Did anyone send an email?

Perhaps someone, anyone could follow up on Jonty's suggestion with something suitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Well IRLConor's post is nearly perfect. I've fleshed it out a bit but can anyone give an approximate time of the transmission and confirm the date I've entered?
    Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to take this opportunity to clarify a point made on your radio station on the 30th of December 2009.

The presenter, Clem Ryan, stated that hunting at night with lamps is illegal. This is not fully true.

Indeed according to Section 38 of the Wildlife Act, 1976 as modified by Section 45 of the Wildlife (Amendment) Act, 2000 makes it illegal to use a lamp to hunt protected wild birds or protected wild animals. This would include the likes of deer, pheasant etc

Wild animals or birds which are not protected are not covered by that section. Wilds animals which are not protected and therefore legal to hunt with a lamp, include the fox, which is far and away the animal hunted most at night with a lamp.

Also under Section 42 of the above Act, a special license can be applied for which grants permission to use a lamp or other methods on protected animals, where it is deemed the protected animal is doing sufficient damage.

Thank you for taking the time to read the information above and I hope that you can clarify for your listeners the legal standing of hunting at night with a lamp.

Best Regards,
    Vegeta.

As soon as someone confirms the date I will e-mail on the letter and I'd advise others to do the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Jonty wrote: »
    Perhaps somebody could post a typical response here that we could copy and paste it and send it to them.

It might prevent somebody from sending a ranting email to the.

I'd do it myself, but TBH I'm not the best at formal writing.
    You don't have to write an epistle Jonty, the bones of it is posted on this thread. Point to the relevant section of the wildlife act and bang it away. At the very least there'll have to be a clarification on the radio and if not you can always phone in when the same guy is on and point out his error.

Mr. Clem Ryan, the morning show presenter on local KFM radio, spoke again about shooting last week, stating that anyone out shooting should not be etc. I challenged him, making the point that I've been shooting most nights, mostly foxes that are taking lambs on us and as they are very hungry, they are likely to take even older lambs. Clem agreed it was ok to shoot foxes only in the protection of livestock.

Vegeta, thanks for the form of words you offered us. Very good. Sadly, I cannot recall the date in question as I saved it on my phone which is now waterdamaged. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Mr. Clem Ryan, the morning show presenter on local KFM radio, spoke again about shooting last week, stating that anyone out shooting should not be etc. I challenged him, making the point that I've been shooting most nights, mostly foxes that are taking lambs on us and as they are very hungry, they are likely to take even older lambs. Clem agreed it was ok to shoot foxes only in the protection of livestock.

Vegeta, thanks for the form of words you offered us. Very good. Sadly, I cannot recall the date in question as I saved it on my phone which is now waterdamaged. Sorry.

Don't worry about it, I removed the date and inserted the word "recently" in its place and sent it on to the address you supplied. Feel free to do the same.

• Advertisement

Done. Thanks.

It's disappointing to me that no local gun club, it seems, has contacted KFM Radio to clarify the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi55

its a stupid situation really and a pity because its bad rep for honest shooters like everyone on this forum
    ya see this happens a lot from radio presenters just pressuming things and think there right or give there opion and expect the listeners to agree

just an example
    ray darcy and the missus were given there advise the other day a woman was complaing by txt about her boyfriend and rays missus said she should dump him
    thats not on its not there decision to make

he just presumed its illegal and said it was

for starters its only illegal hunt game with a lamp ie deer ducks phesants its not illegal hunt vermin
    and from what i understand, correct me if im wrong its not illegal lamp from the road its illegal to shoot from the road
    i think its either 60 or 100 yards off the road or from a dwelling you have to be to discharge a weapon

Advertisement