Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do Irish people support English teams?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,193 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

says who?

Says Irish society, and the unwritten football supporter rules.

Plus Rcihie Sadlier wrote a great piece how he picked Rangers as his team as a young lad because he liked Ally McCoist.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/footballs-senseless-bigotry-hasnt-gone-away-you-know-26726387.html

That was frowned upon as well, even though both Rangers and Celtic are British teams! Both of them pay taxes (even Rangers now :D) to HM revenue and customs.

It is the same type of thing, there are crazy unwritten rules and mental gymnastics, when it comes to the Irish football supporter of British teams.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭Allinall

FitzShane wrote: »
    I do.

As do I. Regularly.

This idea of unwritten rules is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭65535

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

An Irish top six premier league fan would not watch these games unless he has money on it as an accumulator /has players in the game from his/her fantasy football team.
    They only care about the top of the table stuff.

I used to do that if I had nothing else to do on a Saturday or Sunday.
    Could pick any game I wanted to watch. Even some Italian or Spanish games if I felt cultured.

Don't really do it anymore because I get my fix of football on Friday.
    Sure they were better games than a bohs game but genuinely can't beat being there.

The GAA had a great campaign last year or the year before with that being the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

I think this thread just goes in circles.

The reason Irish people follow foreign teams are numerous. For some it's been passed down from family, for some it was to fit in with friends but mostly it's because football in Ireland is seen as a TV program. It's to be watched on TV with the odd trip to watch it live (same goes for a lot of GAA supporters going to championship games only).

Most people will tell you it's due to the quality on show, the same people will tell you they didn't care how Liverpool played or the standard of the final but just that they won the Champions League. People want to be associated with successful brands and teams in England are some of the most successful in the world.

League of Ireland clubs need to focus on getting the passing punter through the door and not an us versus them mentality, Bohs are seeing good return on building links in the community and getting football fans (ones that are used to actually going to live sports) who are visiting Dublin to games. I believe Rovers are doing a deal that anyone on a Ryanair flight can buy a cheap ticket. This isn't a coincidence. In Ireland we don't have a large number of people that are used to going to watch sporting events live week in week out while our participant numbers are high by population.

I think most of what you've said there is fair. It's the glitz, the glamour of it all, basically it's the absolutely superb marketing job that the English clubs have done since the 90s compounded by the fact our national association has been a joke since the 60s/70s.

The bit that really gets me is Ireland could have that, maybe not to the same extent but look at the SPL, I watch a good bit of that and the standard of play outside of Celtic there is really no better if not worse than the LOI but there's a tonne more money there than there is here because Scottish people actually attend their domestic matches in huge numbers, despite being a hell of a lot easier for them to get to a EPL game compared to here.

Its a seriously bad cycle of issues compounding each other and its uniquely Irish that most of the population actually just couldn't care less about it and would rather slag the people trying to fix the issues than help them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Omackeral wrote: »
    What exactly sounds ''bitter'' in the post you quoted? Honestly baffled by that.

Nothing-I was joking and meant no offense.

RobMc59 wrote: »
    You sound quite bitter and would probably make a good Everton fan:)
    Omackeral wrote: »
    What exactly sounds ''bitter'' in the post you quoted? Honestly baffled by that.

He was playing on the phrase used by others to describe Everton fans, especially used by Liverpool fans.

Everton have also appropriated the term to describe themselves -

https://www.reddit.com/r/Everton/comments/60mkgu/why_the_bbc_makes_us_bitter_blues/

Here is an interesting article mapping the Premier league local support from 2017 - based on google trends searches.

It only does the UK so ROI is not included unfortunately.
    But it is interesting nonetheless.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/08/17/every-premier-league-clubs-fans-mapped-local-teams-support/

Here is a man united forum which discusses thier honest feelings about local fans v foreign fans of the club

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/local-vs-foreign-based-supporters.3380/

I found another article where a Liverpool FC 'club liaison officer' is trying to give the message that all LFC fans -

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2018/10/how-liverpool-fc-approach-the-foreign-vs-local-fans-debate-and-why-jurgen-klopp-is-key/

The Liaison officer says -

'Anyone who commits themselves to supporting Liverpool, in whatever way that may be, is worthy of the utmost respect.'

I assume that is code for we will take your money from wherever you or from no matter how you support the club.

'There are supporters who don’t buy anything, which is fair enough, and there are supporters who buy everything but don’t go to the match.

“So how do you classify these people and how do you treat them differently?

“People have an affection for Liverpool and they want to support them in whatever way that may be. That guarantees them a level of instant respect from me.'

But on this LFC forum on Reddit there is a key phrase for me that jumps out-

'Who's trying too hard to be a scouser?'

(Written by a Norwegian LFC fan!)

https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/comments/20roal/scousers_your_general_feelings_on_foreign/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭8-10

People are allowed disagree with you.

What is the disagreement though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Remember when Des Cahill used to bore us all to death with tales of his "beloved Reading"!

I knew chap who was a Halifax supporter, from having spent summers over there with one of his aunts in the 70s. I can appreciate that sort of thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

He was playing on the phrase used by others to describe Everton fans, especially used by Liverpool fans.

Everton have also appropriated the term to describe themselves -

https://www.reddit.com/r/Everton/comments/60mkgu/why_the_bbc_makes_us_bitter_blues/

It stems from Liverpool fan`s actions at Heysel which resulted in English teams being banned from European competition.The Everton team at that time was certainly the best Everton team ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

The funniest is when Irish Celtic fans slag off Irish fans for supporting the premiership

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Is it insulting because it is true?
    If they were real football fans and just loved the sport they would not care what level the team they call thier own is at.
    It always has to be the top european teams or the teams that are winning.

The fans who it insulting to are the local fans of this big clubs, the atmosphere dies, people are there for the spectacle from all around the world...

It sounds like you just want a 'shiny product' rather than an actual team for the love of the sport.
    I think that is insulting to real football fans.

Its not true. Off course football fans care about the level, if the level didnt matter more people would be watching amatures in the sunday league play and amature football in Ireland involves a lot of hoofing the ball up the field and real football fans dont want to see that. Fans of big clubs who dont want foreign fans are a minority of idiots who dont want what there club wants.

I am a real football fan and what I love is beautiful football. ANY team who have the capability of playing exciting attacking football are worth watching. I say capability as no team in the world plays lovely football all the time. If my local team can sometimes do this then there worth supporting and if my local team are always hoof the ball up the field merchants then there not worth supporting. I don't expect LOI to be like watching Barcelona but if someones local team regularly plays worse football then Ireland then they should be allowed to say this type of football is not for me. The reality is though clubs that play in the champions league are more likely to have players capable of playing beautiful football.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I don't understand why all Dublin soccer fans don't support Dundalk FC!?.... As it's the best team geographically to Dublin :DC'MON D TOWN

Greyfox wrote: »
    Its not true. Off course football fans care about the level, if the level didnt matter more people would be watching amatures in the sunday league play and amature football in Ireland involves a lot of hoofing the ball up the field and real football fans dont want to see that. Fans of big clubs who dont want foreign fans are a minority of idiots who dont want what there club wants.

I am a real football fan and what I love is beautiful football. ANY team who have the capability of playing exciting attacking football are worth watching. I say capability as no team in the world plays lovely football all the time. If my local team can sometimes do this then there worth supporting and if my local team are always hoof the ball up the field merchants then there not worth supporting. I don't expect LOI to be like watching Barcelona but if someones local team regularly plays worse football then Ireland then they should be allowed to say this type of football is not for me. The reality is though clubs that play in the champions league are more likely to have players capable of playing beautiful football.

OK fair enough you like beautiful 'quality' football which is probably the reason why you are not supporting Burnley?

What would happen if the team you support which plays beautiful football is relegated a few divisions?

For example- like Portsmouth in (league one) the third tier, or Man City who were in the third tier 20 years ago.

Would you continue to support those teams if they were relegated and played in a lower quality league?
    As a result they would have lower quality players, and will be playing lower quality football.

My suspicion with Irish Premier League fan is if thier team hit bad times (successive relegation's) they would leave 'thier team' quicker than a rat from a sinking ship.
    I believe the Irish Premier League fans love of 'thier team' is not unconditional and 'for better or for worse'.
    It is a marriage of convenience in reality.
    If it hits bad times they would lose interest much faster than any local fan of the same team would.

OK fair enough you like beautiful 'quality' football which is probably the reason why you are not supporting Burnley?

What would happen if the team you support which plays beautiful football is relegated a few divisions?

For example- like Portsmouth in (league one) the third tier, or Man City who were in the third tier 20 years ago.

Would you continue to support those teams if they were relegated and played in a lower quality league?
    As a result they would have lower quality players, and will be playing lower quality football.

My suspicion with Irish Premier League fan is if thier team hit bad times (successive relegation's) they would leave 'thier team' quicker than a rat from a sinking ship.
    I believe the Irish Premier League fans love of 'thier team' is not unconditional and 'for better or for worse'.
    It is a marriage of convenience in reality.
    If it hits bad times they would lose interest much faster than any local fan of the same team would.

And your opinion of those that wouldn't?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

It's basically a soap opera for men.

17-pdr wrote: »
    And your opinion of those that wouldn't?

Well I would have more respect for those Irish fans PL fans who continue to support thier chosen team.
    Like the Spurs fan on this thread he gives the impression that even if they went down a few divisions he would stick with them.
    That is being more of a football fan, he is not just into the glamour brand/product.

But the reality is the chances of any of the 'top six' being relegated is very slim.
    Especially given the financial gulf between the PL teams and Championship teams these days.

In England there are at least a percentage of fans who support a larger team and thier smaller local team, or even just thier local team regardless of level.
    It is those group that seem to at least get the community aspect of football.
    Not being all about the glamour.

Because the Irish PL team supporter chose a team who are the cream of crop when they are 10, it is far, far easier for them to jump ship when times are bad.

Even those teams who have gone down one tier to the Championship -
    Aston Villa and Leeds for example.
    How many of those Irish fans do you see now?

The fella who was about 10 in the 70's who thought Giles, Bremner were the best. Maybe his favourite player was Alan Clarke when he won the FA Cup in 72?
    How many of those Irish fans still give a damn about them?
    How many Irish Villa fans who were about 10 in the 90's that still give a damn about Villa now.
    I mean it was great when they were challenging at the top of the PL. There was plenty of Irish interest. McGrath, Townsend, Saunton and Houghton.

Or the Irish people who started supporting Sunderland when Roy Keane managed them.
    How many of those Irish 'fans' are still with the team?

By it's very nature (picking a top tier team and mostly top 6 and distance involved) the Irish PL fan, can be one of most insincere fans in sport - if things turn for the worst.
    It seems to go against the true nature of the sport itself even the chant 'I'm xyz till I die?'
    Really?
    Your xyz until your team gets relegated more like!
    The brand deprecates then.

So the Irish PL fan does not go through the natural 'suffering' that most other teams supporters of local teams experience.
    It is easy being a fan of a team that is in contention for Europe, and silverware each year.
    The teams are bigger and better, the team is world renowned, the stadium and facilities are superb, European games, trophies etc
    They don't take the good with bad they just want the good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Plenty of us around still G, just been through 3 years of Championship.

I know a few of the other sort you are talking about too though, lads who change club depending on success. Each to their own.

• Advertisement

Plenty of us around still G, just been through 3 years of Championship.

I know a few of the other sort you are talking about too though, lads who change club depending on success. Each to their own.

Fair play to you for sticking with it anyway.
    In fairness I know there are bandwagon supporters in every sport and every country.
    But by thier very nature I think that most Irish PL fans are particularly mercenary breed.
    First sign of serious trouble and most would drop the team, or lose interest, and not be as 'emotionally involved' as they claimed the when it was a top side.
    Those type are not natural football fans in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

The fella who was about 10 in the 70's who thought Giles, Bremner were the best. Maybe his favourite player was Alan Clarke when he won the FA Cup in 72?

That was my team between ages of 6 and 10!

No idea how I started to follow Leeds, but probably down to Giles originally as Da used to go to internationals. I have weird memories of them including listening to the match they needed to win at Wolves in 1972 (?) to beat Derby for the league, and seeing the FA cup final in 1970 when I was 6!

Stopped being interested gradually as Da and uncle brought us to see the Dubs and then Rovers, and one of uncles knowing Mick Leech through Mick playing gaelic football with Good Counsel during the Summer. True story.

So it was the local connection, and just the sheer magic of being in Croke Park when Dubs were playing.

So, kind of arguing from both sides. Yes, I see how people form attachments to English and Scottish teams, but I don't think anything matches the real life connection with your local team, be it Dubs hurlers, Dundalk, Torquay, Connacht rugby. Whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,100 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Well I would have more respect for those Irish fans PL fans who continue to support thier chosen team.
    Like the Spurs fan on this thread he gives the impression that even if they went down a few divisions he would stick with them.
    That is being more of a football fan, he is not just into the glamour brand/product.

But the reality is the chances of any of the 'top six' being relegated is very slim.
    Especially given the financial gulf between the PL teams and Championship teams these days.

In England there are at least a percentage of fans who support a larger team and thier smaller local team, or even just thier local team regardless of level.
    It is those group that seem to at least get the community aspect of football.
    Not being all about the glamour.

Because the Irish PL team supporter chose a team who are the cream of crop when they are 10, it is far, far easier for them to jump ship when times are bad.

Even those teams who have gone down one tier to the Championship -
    Aston Villa and Leeds for example.
    How many of those Irish fans do you see now?

How many of those Irish fans still give a damn about them?
    How many Irish Villa fans who were about 10 in the 90's that still give a damn about Villa now.
    I mean it was great when they were challenging at the top of the PL. There was plenty of Irish interest. McGrath, Townsend, Saunton and Houghton.

Or the Irish people who started supporting Sunderland when Roy Keane managed them.
    How many of those Irish 'fans' are still with the team?

By it's very nature (picking a top tier team and mostly top 6 and distance involved) the Irish PL fan, can be one of most insincere fans in sport - if things turn for the worst.
    It seems to go against the true nature of the sport itself even the chant 'I'm xyz till I die?'
    Really?
    Your xyz until your team gets relegated more like!
    The brand deprecates then.

So the Irish PL fan does not go through the natural 'suffering' that most other teams supporters of local teams experience.
    It is easy being a fan of a team that is in contention for Europe, and silverware each year.
    The teams are bigger and better, the team is world renowned, the stadium and facilities are superb, European games, trophies etc
    They don't take the good with bad they just want the good times.

How many of these people do you actually know because i've never met one. I even know somebody who still supports Blackburn the poor sod.

In fairness I know there are bandwagon supporters in every sport and every country.
    But by thier very nature I think that most Irish PL fans are particularly mercenary breed.
    First sign of serious trouble and most would drop the team, or lose interest, and not be as 'emotionally involved' as they claimed the when it was a top side.
    Those type are not natural football fans in my book.

I can understand it though, its entertainment at the end of the day and people want to watch an entertaining team. Calling yourself a supporter of that team might be a bit much but you're not going to hear a lad say he's a casual observer of Barcelona.

Yep I see it a lot with Malaysian fans, I work with City fans who wore United jerseys a few years ago over there.

But again, it's up to them, I just talk City to them now instead of United. If they want to change next year again then go ahead, why should the rest of us care?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I see it with some united fans losing interest cos of not winning much recently so there is a bit of glory hunting going on.

8-10 wrote: »
    Yep I see it a lot with Malaysian fans, I work with City fans who wore United jerseys a few years ago over there.

But again, it's up to them, I just talk City to them now instead of United. If they want to change next year again then go ahead, why should the rest of us care?

But my point is that type of support is not from a real fan standpoint.
    They are more supporters of a brand rather than the actual team itself.
    When the brand loses its value/street cred they lose interest.
    Like the example I gave earlier with iphone they want the latest thing.

But in a really odd roundabout way those teams need these fans to maintain thier global brand and revenue.
    Even if they just buy merchandise.

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    I see it with some united fans losing interest cos of not winning much recently so there is a bit of glory hunting going on.
    • Parents supported them
    • Successful at the time/glory
    • Irish players playing for them
    • On tv
    • Came over for a friendly when I was a lad
    • Power of advertising
    • Family from the area

Loads of valid reasons. Hopefully this season brings about a new generation of Liverpool fans.

But my point is that type of support is not from a real fan standpoint.

There's no such thing as this "real fan" except in the unwritten rules of people who care about what other people do with their lives.

Anyone wearing a Liverpool shirt is fine by me whatever their reasons - I consider them a fan/supporter

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    Loads of valid reasons. Hopefully this season brings about a new generation of Liverpool fans.

Oh it definitely will, its just the way it works.

Advertisement