Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreamcast Making Loud Noise?

• 24-08-2009 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hey all!

I bought a Dreamcast from EBay last month and when it arrived I had to fix it myself as it wouldn't read games or CDs (Had to tweak the laser). I've never owned a DC before, BTW, and I've noticed that it makes a loud grinding noise whenever I'm playing games.

So, I'm wondering if this is normal? I've attached an mp3 of the sound.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's something wrong there. That grinding noise isn't good :/

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ger101

Ah, I thought so!

So, what should I do? Should I tweak the laser again? I mean, the DC wasn't able to read discs before I tweaked it. Also, the games I have - Shenmue and Nightmare Creature 2 - play fine...although Shenmue froze once...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

sounds pretty normal to me, the dreamcast is a crazy loud console, even in full health.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The fan noise yeah but I'm not sure about the grinding.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,919 ✭✭✭trout

What state are the discs in ?

Any chance they are scratched or filmed in some way ?

I always thought the GD-ROM format lead to more seeking and spin up/down than a normal CD / DVD ... but that grinding noise just doesn't sound healthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Thats the GD-ROMs laser seeking across the disc, nothing to be worried about.

If yea do open it up, I would prob put some grease (not oil!) on the running gear of the GD-ROM drive but prob won't make much difference to that noise, just make the drive last a little longer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Making loud noise eh? Next it will grow long hair, stay out late at night and give you a snotty attitude when you ask where it was the next day. Honestly, kids these days..

So what's the deal then? Is there something wrong or what? Some of you are saying it's fine, yet others are saying there's a problem. Do any of you even have a Dreamcast?
    CCCP^ wrote: »
    Making loud noise eh? Next it will grow long hair, stay out late at night and give you a snotty attitude when you ask where it was the next day. Honestly, kids these days..
    Yeah, that's funny and all, but it doesn't help.
    trout wrote: »
    What state are the discs in ?

Any chance they are scratched or filmed in some way ?

I always thought the GD-ROM format lead to more seeking and spin up/down than a normal CD / DVD ... but that grinding noise just doesn't sound healthy.
    There's only a couple of really tiny scratches on Nightmare Creatures 2, but it plays perfectly. Shenmue's discs 2 and 3 have a couple of scratches. I haven't tried them yet, though, as I'm still on the first disc (Which is scratch-free, BTW).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I have a dreamcast and it makes that noise and my bro has a dreamcast and it makes the same noise. Even a Japan launch dreamcast which my bro had all those years ago made that noise.

Its normal - annoying yes, but normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

how many times does kerbdog need to answer your question??

• Advertisement

kerbdog wrote: »
    I have a dreamcast and it makes that noise and my bro has a dreamcast and it makes the same noise. Even a Japan launch dreamcast which my bro had all those years ago made that noise.

Its normal - annoying yes, but normal
    Okay, thank you! Now I know it's not bogged. Thanks.

atariman wrote: »
    how many times does kerbdog need to answer your question??
    Hurr durr, did you read this:
    ger101 wrote: »
    Some of you are saying it's fine, yet others are saying there's a problem.
    I was unsure what was what since most of them said that the noise was bad.

Mods, feel free to lock this now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

No, I read this
    So what's the deal then? Is there something wrong or what? Some of you are saying it's fine, yet others are saying there's a problem. Do any of you even have a Dreamcast?

Now lets all head over to the photography forum and see if anyone owns a camera :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You think the DC makes noise, I was playing my PS3 last night, everything was groovy, then popped on the 360, not only do I need a new battery, but the noise of the thing shocked me, I hadn't played it in a while, and at night it really sounds loud, and this is a 3rd gen Xbox 360, you should have heard my launch model, it was like a hairdryer, or perhaps the english channel hover-ferry heading off on a run.

Advertisement