Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Liveline Valentine: Roses are red, violations are blue, do be, do be do be do.

Comments

But it was cocker-poodle sh1te.

It was of multiple sizes, caller, strewn the length of Montenotte, multiple hounds involved.

Joe while munching: I'll tell you Tommy, tom, tom, my eyes were bigger than my belly so to speak. I should have gone for a smaller childs kidney. Theres a good half of it left. Can they still use it? I suppose not now I've fried it in butter.

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148867321f92d486e46dcf0859b57996788107a71125a&rid=giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

had a go at RTE over not hawking his wares

The man has no shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

The man has no shame.

You mightnt have seen it cos it wasn't promoted by RTE

Neck like a jockeys b0l0x

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i missed it today

did he put the boot into the cork 2 again

how many "evils" did he use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The man has no shame.

You can be sure if he was in the chair yesterday he'd have run into the 3.00 news for maximum listenership.

sligojoek wrote: »
    You can be sure if he was in the chair yesterday he'd have run into the 3.00 news for maximum listenership.

His personal Twitter is de Buke de Buke de Buke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

Das Buke ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

BPKS wrote: »
    You mightnt have seen it cos it wasn't promoted by RTE - Neck like a jockeys b0l0x

I missed that bit but that is ridiculous. At the time the book was released, he had it as the background on his personal Twitter page @joeliveline. And every time he would post an image of uncle tom's horse and cart and tell the Liveline viewers to go look at it, he would post it on his personal page (as opposed to the office Liveline Twitter page) so that they would all see his book. Should never have been allowed. And after abusing his position he now has the neck to criticise RTE for not promoting his book.

It seems that nobody is prepared to stand up to the bully. I guess the biggest irony in all of this is that Duffy has spent hours on the radio telling us about how horrible a man Trump is, when he actually shares most of Trump's worst characteristics. Including the inability to see his own faults.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,746 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

fryup wrote: »
    i missed it today

did he put the boot into the cork 2 again

how many "evils" did he use?

No evils today, just lots of CRIMINALS and ranting about Ballymaloe Cookery School and yer man's cooking job in prison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Joe, you should buy it from her and give it to Syl Fox. He'd like that.

Syl said he lost a lot of friends over the allegation he was acquitted/found not guilty of........wonder was Joe one of them.....and no amount of crawling back's gonna fix it.

Can't see Syl back on "Funny" Friday......

I missed that bit but that is ridiculous. At the time the book was released, he had it as the background on his personal Twitter page @joeliveline. And every time he would post an image of uncle tom's horse and cart and tell the Liveline viewers to go look at it, he would post it on his personal page (as opposed to the office Liveline Twitter page) so that they would all see his book. Should never have been allowed. And after abusing his position he now has the neck to criticise RTE for not promoting his book.

It seems that nobody is prepared to stand up to the bully. I guess the biggest irony in all of this is that Duffy has spent hours on the radio telling us about how horrible a man Trump is, when he actually shares most of Trump's worst characteristics. Including the inability to see his own faults.

None so blind as those who cannot see their own blindness.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,329 ✭✭✭✭zell12

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,329 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Any reason why today's podcast is not up yet?
    https://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/podcasts/#103605078

zell12 wrote: »
    maxresdefault.jpg

The way he brought Ballymaloe up today was priceless. I'm wondering has he or de missus done a course there by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Whatever about today's, the first time he featured those two earlier in the week the podcast has some major edits/cuts made to it. I only listened to the first 40mins of it and there were 2 really obvious cuts made, incredibly poor editing skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Whatever about today's, the first time he featured those two earlier in the week the podcast has some major edits/cuts made to it. I only listened to the first 40mins of it and there were 2 really obvious cuts made, incredibly poor editing skills.

I heard most of the editing department were on sick leave, D'Arcy was the only man on campus so the editing fell to him on this occasion

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2058056894&page=639

Here's where Sligojoe refers to when Joe said that even if the virus did come to Ireland it wouldn't kill us.
    Here's a suggestion for a thread title.

I was just playing back the episode with Robbie the "Irish international".

"Even if it does come it won't kill us".

We're giving this idiot 400,000 a year for his "expertise"

Listen to him from 12 mins in. That woman was dead right.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer...adio1/21720780

It's there now.

"It's a repeat, I'm told. That's whoy they didn't promote it."

Just after the ad break around 1hr 15min.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I heard most of the editing department were on sick leave, D'Arcy was the only man on campus so the editing fell to him on this occasion

Nah, you'd know it was Arse'y, sure you'd hear him, 'huh, wait now, just press that there, no, nothing, just try that again AH there we go....'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,111 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I can imagine his tape splicing isn't exactly seemless, he would use the old ways so to speak...
    Splice_Apply_SpliceTape.jpg

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2058056894&page=639

Here's where Sligojoe refers to when Joe said that even if the virus did come to Ireland it wouldn't kill us.

I knew I didn't imagine it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

There is no way there should be so much discussion of these two solicitors and NO discussion of the Terenure College abuse case.

Probably afraid of libel suits, Terenure is hardly the only posh school to have employed a nonce

goose2005 wrote: »
    Probably afraid of libel suits, Terenure is hardly the only posh school to have employed a nonce

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886aad0d1f5a171e1c62421caf5fb8bb1c0d73896a0&rid=giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Clon63

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    They'd look well on the Jag wid matching rear Spoiler and a CB aerial.

Rallying over and back to the Northsoide he'd look the part.

But whoy would Joe need an aetial to listen to Clare Byrne and her lifestyle show? Sure we all know Joe do be do listening to his broadcaster of choice the BBC

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Clon63

Joe is similar to the Anglo lads - likes to pick numbers or facts from his a**e. Like saying he cant mention the mitigation offered by Mrs Fraudster. It was said in public in court and reported. What is more questionable is the EVIL EVIL EVIL schtik.

Like others have said was "impressed" by John Lonergan. Not a fan usually but he stood up to Joe and kinsa "checked" him fir trying to over tabloid the story just like the journo the other day. And the only "caller" who called outraged was Whacker ex resident of C wing

Normally like Alice Leahy who I have heard speak before about how difficult it can be to work with some homeless and how challenging some homeless to be. She was like a nodding dog for Joe. She is normally a realist about homelessness and accepts that not all homeless people are a foreva home away from law abiding life, brilliant qualifications and a solid working life. Obviously though all the kids would be able to study medicine the same time due to Joes inspirational Third Level policy.

The whole homeless thing is a red herring. None of them were discommoded. I'm sure the authorities restored their files to default after this was all sorted. If, and when, please god.. please god, any of them get back on the straight and narrow and need a car loan, their credit rating will be the same as it ever was.

A golden nugget from way back in 2007:
    Judge's charge against RTE must be 'taken seriously'
    October 14 2007 04:49 AM

A charge by a High Court judge that, effectively, RTE is misleading its listeners, "must be taken seriously", the new chairman of the Oireachtas Joint Committee on Broadcasting has said.

Mr Justice Paul Carney's damning criticism of the Liveline radio programme, and its host Joe Duffy, is the latest in a chorus of concern about the apparent lack of transparency behind the making of the programme.

Liveline is marketed by RTE to its listeners as an opportunity for members of the public to telephone the State broadcaster to discuss topics of the day with the host.

However, there is growing evidence to suggest that the programme makers actively pursue participants to generate heated and what occasionally turn into unbalanced debates on controversies.

This increasingly regular phenomenon is publicly rejected by RTE, which has claimed that a majority of callers to Liveline result from them contacting the show, either to suggest a topic or to respond to something.

But he added: "When a High Court judge makes a criticism of a programme, it has to be taken seriously."

Yesterday, however, RTE was remaining silent about the charge made by Mr Justice Carney.

"We won't be making any comment," an RTE spokeswoman said.

However, the Sunday Independent understands that behind the scenes in RTE there is concern at the regularity with which Liveline fails to adhere to its marketed purpose as a phone-in programme.

The senior judge said: "Finally, we got an interesting insight into how Mr Joe Duffy operates. In the explosive atmosphere after sentence being imposed, in ignorance of who he was, one of Mr Duffy's researchers approached a court official looking for a comment. This shatters the myth of Mr Duffy being a kindly old gentleman who sits by his telephone in Dublin waiting for it to ring.
    "

The Broadcasting Complaints Commission (BCC) recently heard a complaint from a member of the public which goes to the heart of the charge made.

It related to a Liveline programme on November 21, 2006, concerning the murder of a Latvian woman in Dublin.

The complainant, a Mr Raymond Duggan, submitted that though Liveline is being marketed as a programme where listeners "ring in" of their own accord to discuss a topic, the programme often rings people and asks them to air their views.

Mr Duggan suggested that the show fails to make this clear to the listener and gave a misleading impression. Mr Duggan believed this practice to be deceptive, and felt that it may allow the programme to "pursue an agenda that the listener is unaware of".

In this case, RTE submitted that a majority of callers to Liveline result from them contacting the show. "Occasionally," according to RTE, "the programme's production team may contact an interested party to alert them to a point of view raised by a caller, so as to afford them the opportunity of going on air."

The comments last week of Mr Justice Carney would appear to add validity to Mr Duggan's complaint, which was not upheld by the BCC. The Sunday Independent is aware of scenarios similar to those expressed by Mr Duggan and Mr Justice Carney.

This newspaper recently spoke to a grieving widower who told of how, several years ago, his then seriously ill wife had discussed a particular issue on the show.

When the show's producers subsequently learned that she had died from cancer, they rang her husband, and encouraged him to go on air.

A shy man, he refused -- but he did offer some comments off-air. He says Mr Duffy then "misleadingly" told his listeners that the man had contacted the show.

Speaking recently about his experience, the widower said: "It left me very angry. The way it was portrayed on air, it was like I rang in.
    The show phoned me, and while they were courteous in their dealings with me on the phone, Joe's comments were misleading and unfair."

In recent months several participants have stated on air that they had been contacted by Liveline.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/judges-charge-against-rte-must-be-taken-seriously-26324865.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Good to see nothing has changed since...

Actually think they've got worse

• Advertisement

Liveline is marketed by RTE to its listeners as an opportunity for members of the public to telephone the State broadcaster to discuss topics of the day with the host.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement