Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2019 / 2020 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

The only consolation is it won’t continue above average wet forever and we might get a better spring summer as a result! Nice day today but as you’ve alluded to on a few occasions, we really need some dry weather to allow the saturated ground to dry up a bit. Endless rain combined with the weak sun and short days has everywhere sodden.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ZX7R wrote: »
    I remember a couple of years ago the eagle did an interview,he was talking about a long run of very wet wether during a summer 96 I think I can be corrected on this, but in the interview he stated if the weather has been the same for so long it doesn't matter what the charts are trending you could bet your house that the weather will continue the same.
    That interview and what he said has always stuck in my mind and he always seems to be correct.

he could well be correct. If the CFS is anything to go by in their long term outlook, they are signaling this pattern to stick with us right through to June 2020. I really hope this is not the case but it wouldn't surprise me if it did. Once the Atlantic is fully powered up and there is nothing preventing it from running out of steam, it will just go on and on. Most of the long term models in the Autumn were signaling a very zonal and Atlantic driven winter. They have certainly been right so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

The cfs is shoite
    There is no technology that can predict weather out that far
    As a programme out that far is just for academia looking at probability theory
    It has no practical forecasting use AT ALL
    Piers Corbyn might be more accurate and his record is up there with stopped clocks

Nature is a wonderful thing,patterns do get stuck,we had it in 95,2013,2010 and more recently 2018
    The Eagle is right on that
    But stuck patterns eventually change too and when they do,you see it sub 7 days in the models

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Mortelaro wrote: »
    The cfs is shoite
    There is no technology that can predict weather out that far
    As a programme out that far is just for academia looking at probability theory
    It has no practical forecasting use AT ALL
    Piers Corbyn might be more accurate and his record is up there with stopped clocks

Gavs weather was going to discontinue using the CFS Long Range but decided a mixture of the CFS and Beijing CC going forward. Of course most models more than 7 days ahead aren't really worth much, they give insights into what possibly might happen. The past 2 weeks has shown that even 3 days ahead is difficult.

I will say tho that the long range for Winter is bang on so far, then again the probability of a mild zonal winter outlook has a much higher chance of working out compared to a wintry winter forecast, and last winter was one of those and failed spectacularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

I agree the CFS is near useless ^ but it doesn't quite show a continuation of the current pattern on its latest output - Jan 2020 looks cold and easterly driven -

cfs-1-1-2020.png?18

cfs-4-1-2020.png?18

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Gonzo wrote: »
    Gavs weather was going to discontinue using the CFS Long Range but decided a mixture of the CFS and Beijing CC going forward.
    just for site content tbh
    I will say tho that the long range for Winter is bang on so far, then again the probability of a mild zonal winter outlook has a much higher chance of working out compared to a wintry winter forecast, and last winter was one of those and failed spectacularly.
    Some of these LRF's are forecasting our climactic norm
    It's easier to be right when you do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Only predict a cold snowy winter if you wish to be laughed at ten times* and congratulated once.

*could be 15 or 20!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

A way off but the models similar in showing areas of LP deepening close to Ireland around next Weds. Lively Jet.

v1jOrkS.png

gfs-0-162_aab6.png

gem-0-168_dfd5.png

SIK6LSu.png

gfs-5-162_ojw6.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Look at that jet. Bound to be a storm sometime next week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Look at that jet. Bound to be a storm sometime next week.

Looks like a sharp Temperature gradient. Something to keep an eye on.

1DKoF8x.png

4NNBxUg.png

• Advertisement

so far no end in sight of the mild spell. It just goes on and on. The one positive thing is that it doesn't look nearly as wet as the 4 months leading up to Christmas. Prospects of a cold spell look slim to none over the next few weeks unless there is a serious and sudden change. Low pressure deepening over the pole, Greenland and Scandinavia for first 2 weeks of January. We stay on the warm side of the jet for the entirety of the run.

ens_image.php?geoid=64981&var=201&run=6&date=2019-12-27&model=gfs&member=ENS&bw=1

More under HP influence out to +240 hrs from the main models and GFS goes on in that vein well out into FI . Not all mild , a few colder incursions also but not lasting long more than a couple of days and mostly NW'ly sourced. Around next Fri might be briefly cool going by the ECM and GFS before the SW'lys return.

HP doing it's job blocking weather systems moving in over us. Strong airflow where the isobars tighten off the W coasts and where the Jet mostly tracks North of the country around the HP.

ECM going for a remarkable low amount of rainfall the last few runs.

56eDWiv.gif

4PnXH4z.gif

sJGy4UB.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Looks a bit like last December at a glance. Mild, dry, fitful amounts of sun. I'll take it after the splooge that has been the last two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

UW144-21.GIF?29-17

Is there anything to be said for another Mass?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What does it mean for the uninitiated ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

Logan Roy wrote: »
    What does it mean for the uninitiated ?

Get the sun cream out

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

A thing of beauty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

km79 wrote: »
    A thing of beauty

That chart most likely means low cloud and drizzle for those of us in the wesht

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

That chart most likely means low cloud and drizzle for those of us in the wesht

Cloudy, gloomy weather I can tolerate if it is dry, but not when there those constant spits of greasy rain that barely registers anything in the gauge, yet keeps the place absolutely saturated.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I come here to bring you all HOPE

*[IMAGE][IMAGE][IMAGE]...*

*I can't, there is no hope, bye

:pac:

• Advertisement

Possibly wet and windy next Monday, more so for the W, NW . Tues and Weds could be windy in W, NW also. Looks like a possible roller-coaster of very mild weather to cold weather and back to mild etc etc.

Mixed weather it would seem. Most of the rainfall keeping to Atlantic coastal counties and in the Western half of the country from Atlantic derived weather.

tDLjXsC.png

R01vR2T.png

FHo21BZ.png

bReUAyN.png

63jsGAq.png

GFS has the Jet firing near the end of the run taking a more Southerly route, showing it becoming cooler from the NW. Maybe getting more active? Will see.

RppsMWE.gif

ECM has a rip-roaring Jet aimed near and at us next week sending in fast moving disturbances. More so in the Northern half of the country . Looking like a much livelier week.

CsFEOYV.png

z66CQje.png

ughD9EV.png

nf55Vju.png

9O5P9hZ.png

F5HJ47m.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭pauldry

A storm seems to be rolling up the 9th or 10th January. At least I will not need to blow out my birthday candles this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Still nothing but westerlies as far as the eye can see, some small signs of a pattern change right at the end of the GFS but with a deep Icelandic low ever present its likely fleeting. At that stage we're already half way through the winter with nothing more than a few light frosts to talk about :rolleyes:

gfs-0-360_pwz0.png

ECM / GFS showing potential for strong winds / storm conditions around Tues 14th.

All the models showing a very active mobile Atlantic regime with LP systems and depressions sliding by us, all it takes is for one to be deepening just at the right time and the models showing that potential around the 14th. Worth keeping an eye on it.

UKMO just goes up to next Sat but can see how unsettled it is out in the Atlantic.

c1A6bU9.png

hys6lZ6.png

6hwKLIi.png

To0yr4K.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Yes windy.com showing gusts of 125kph inland cork kerry region on the 14th

Anybody know what sorts of gusts we can expect inland Cork Kerry region on the 14th?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Anybody know what sorts of gusts we can expect inland Cork Kerry region on the 14th?

Its 9 days away. No one knows until at least next weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

🙈🙈

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement