Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoMo to end €9.99 per month for life offer [Now €12.99]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Using this as the only broadband source in my parents house in rural Laois. Works fine for them both so far for browsing and streaming. They were previously on the 30 euro Eir pay as you go 50GB mobile broadband pass so 20 euro saved per month and I don't have to do the top ups for them anymore too \o/

bromley52 wrote: »
    Life in tech terms usually means the life of the product. As it's a virtual network there is nothing stopping the eir mother ship shutting it down in let's say 5 years and transferring its customers to eir. Even if many decide to leave, many won't. Either way it's a win win for eir corporate.

Is that strictly true? Eir is the parent company so wouldnt they have to go bust to stop them from honouring the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I was paying €75 to Three with crap data at home and patchy coverage, I'm now pay €20 for the two phones and getting better coverage still have crap data though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

GoMo say on their website that they will be ending the offer on 8th of January so it's not like Joe.ie are lying. There was probably a press release about it.

There making it up about the 100,000 customers. Of course there was a press release about it. Sure spend some advertising money with us and we'll do a few press releases, no quid pro quo Joe, no quid pro quo.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

There making it up about the 100,000 customers. Of course there was a press release about it. Sure spend some advertising money with us and we'll do a few press releases, no quid pro quo Joe, no quid pro quo.

That came from GoMo so if anyone is lying it is GoMo not Joe.ie.

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    I’m skeptical.

Why else would people switch to GoMo other than the price? If they up the price to €15/20 then they are the same as every other network.

youve lost me.

its half the price of my last monthly spend

the coverage, and i accept this is going to vary for people, is certainly no worse

the data limits etc are much higher.

its a strange argument. "its much cheaper, why would any fool move for that reason?"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

tis grand - both myself and the missus on it

it works and it's cheap

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

youve lost me.

its half the price of my last monthly spend

the coverage, and i accept this is going to vary for people, is certainly no worse

the data limits etc are much higher.

its a strange argument. "its much cheaper, why would any fool move for that reason?"

There have been people getting €15 a month deals with Three and Meteor prior to GoMo becoming available but they haven't been advertised. Even still, if they charge €15 a month for it, the fact that it's actually advertised and anyone can get it as well as it not being limited to a 12 month deal would mean it would still be a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Don Juan II

I move my number over at the start and I'm very happy. No issues.
    I moved from Eir to GoMo.
    I don't understand how, but the coverage is better with GoMo than it was with Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

At 9.99 a month its worth testing it out to see what the service is like. I switched. One patchy spot near the house and one patchy spot at work (think all the networks might be the same there though) - so a good deal to date

• Advertisement

That came from GoMo so if anyone is lying it is GoMo not Joe.ie.

It's an advertioral. It'll be interesting to see what happens when the offers over. Wouldn't surprise me if it's closed in 12mts and Eir just move everyone back to Eir and hope they stay. I don't believe for a minute they've done in a few weeks 25% of what it's taken Tesco 12yrs to do as an mvno.

It would be very easy to verify if they didnt get the 100000. Lodge a complaint with advertising commission.

The 10 euro deal is very attractive so I would not be surprised if a lot of existing Eir customers moved over.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

I'm the only person among my family and friends that has switched.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Given the feedback by a lot of people, I'm till wondering where the bargain is.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭robbKer

GBX wrote: »
    Given the feedback by a lot of people, I'm till wondering where the bargain is.

I for one have had a fantastic experience from start to finish as had my dad who also switched. My mother is about to switch when three unlock her phone. I was on a plan costing €20 per month with all the data I could eat but all calls were charged for at a horrific rate so I'm much happier now and coverage in fairness all in all is great. Well worth the punt and if it all goes belly up then there are plenty of other alternatives to move to.......

In specific response to the above post...we will always hear the bad stuff well before the good stuff.....

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭FluffPiece

Fantastic experience myself.

Had tried Vodafone, Tesco, Meteor, Three etc and all were unreliable to one degree or another. Vodafone probably the best of the lot for data signal except in around work location.

GoMo has worked flawlessly everywhere every time. Ordered 3 sims in the end and ported one number over after the arrived. No hassle with anything at all at any stage, touch wood.

Vodafone was a nightmare to port my number over to at the time. Took near a month to resolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭red bellied

Brutal in sligo had to go out the front door to make a call and lots of dropped ones. Data speeds were a lot slower than previous providers I used even in good signal areas. Went back to voda after a week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

bromley52 wrote: »
    Life in tech terms usually means the life of the product. As it's a virtual network there is nothing stopping the eir mother ship shutting it down in let's say 5 years and transferring its customers to eir. Even if many decide to leave, many won't. Either way it's a win win for eir corporate.

I have a legacy meteor family and friends plan.
    Unlimited. €25 per month. It’s still honoured to this day through all the changes to eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Blut2

I've moved two family members over to GoMo so far. It was a very easy switching process, no problems at all with porting numbers.

The network quality seems to be exactly the same as eir was previously for them.

For 10e a month for essentially unlimited usage I can't fault them at all, it seems a very solid product.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

It's as good as any previous provider for me.

No gripes or complaints at all from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

No issues here either. Far better than Tesco mobile who I was with beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

I wouldn't be surprised to see them launch new (14.99?) 5G plans after they close this one to new entrants.
    So choice to stay on cheaper 4G plan, or move to a more expensive 5G one.
    People won't necessarily move straight away, but over time may migrate as new smartphones are bought and 5G becomes a possibility.

Anyhow another happy GoMo punter here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Moved at the beginning of the offer & am totally satisfied with the service.

BsNGUXjIMAEy4Bi?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭sliabh 1956

very happy with Go Mo so far slight glitch today it stopped workiing i needed to put my pin number into phone working fine since cant really complain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Moved from Vodafone payg, no problem with porting number over but I'd be lying if I said data speeds/coverage haven't degraded. There's definitely an increase in black spots here and there and much less and slower 4G+ coverage than I had on VF but it's by no means a deal breaker and with my monthly bill halved it definitely does the job perfectly fine for now and I'm happy enough.

It's an advertioral. It'll be interesting to see what happens when the offers over. Wouldn't surprise me if it's closed in 12mts and Eir just move everyone back to Eir and hope they stay. I don't believe for a minute they've done in a few weeks 25% of what it's taken Tesco 12yrs to do as an mvno.

What does any of that have to do with Joe.ie lying? RTE have a similar story, are they lying too?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It's not.

I was with Eir for the past 5 years and have switched to Gomo for the past 6 weeks. The reception and coverage is worse and the data speeds are much slower.

I'm going back to Eir if they still have the plan I was on.

It’s the same network and they are investing heavily in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

EIR have a huge surplus capacity, the infrastructure is there , the only cost to them is about 2 euro for the sim, and account system. The traffic isn’t costing them anything.

This is a model that the owner has done in numerous countries

What does any of that have to do with Joe.ie lying? RTE have a similar story, are they lying too?

There passing off advertising as a news story, 3 links to the gomo site in that article. Worded as if Joe done the digging to get the scoop. It's fake news.
    RTE? Should know better, we'll see if Eir really did add 100,00 mobile subscribers in just 6 weeks in the next comreg report.

The independent says they've already hit 100,00, Joe says they expect to hit. One of them is peddling fake news, I've no time for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Moved the whole family last month. No problems and where saving a fortune.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement