Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Pixel 3a €249 on Vodafone (In Stock!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭long_b

loki7777 wrote: »
    Where?

Absolutely no idea. I was replying to a post from wilser

long_b wrote: »
    I'd go with the 2XL all day (at tje same price)

https://youtu.be/nAVeNl-qis8

What's that decision based on? The speed test? I couldn't sit through it. Your linked video would put me off the 2XL straight away for the screen alone.

I've gone from a Note 9 to a Pixel 3a, and I can't notice any speed difference in day to day usage. In fact, I haven't noticed anything significantly different in my last half dozen or so phones.

In my opinion, the 3a is a better option than the 2XL purely because of the brand new warranty and 3 years of updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 bargainboy

Basil3 wrote: »
    I don't think you'd have any problem regarding already being a customer. You might have a problem using a Lyca SIM, though. I'm not sure they'll accept it.

The easiest way to find out is just try it.
    thanks yea went through to the point where there is a drop down box to select who is acceptable to switch from, lyca is not there i guess they are not concerned that they are a legit competitor ? any hoo thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Evil_g

I've bought phones directly from google in the past and have found the warranty support excellent.

I wonder if there are any issues with this 3a can I go direct to google or do I have to deal with Vodafone? (who I've already stiffed by porting a dead number to)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Evil_g wrote: »
    I've bought phones directly from google in the past and have found the warranty support excellent.

I wonder if there are any issues with this 3a can I go direct to google or do I have to deal with Vodafone? (who I've already stiffed by porting a dead number to)

I got a pixel from carphone warehouse in newry before and was able to convince Google support to replace it when I had an issue. Took a bit of convincing and it was a known issue with the phone so depending on the issue your milage may vary.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The 3000mAh battery would be a big downgrade from the 7 plus unfortunately.

I have to say I was dead wrong about this. I got the Pixel yesterday and despite it being similar in specs to my 7 Plus, it feels like good upgrade over the 7 Plus. It's definitely snappier and more responsive. The battery is a lot better than I expected. I'm currently at 50% battery remaining and it has been 10 hours since I took it off charge and a screen on time of 4.5 hours. That is ridiculous. I'm very glad I pulled the trigger on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

I have to say I was dead wrong about this. I got the Pixel yesterday and despite it being similar in specs to my 7 Plus, it feels like good upgrade over the 7 Plus. It's definitely snappier and more responsive. The battery is a lot better than I expected. I'm currently at 50% battery remaining and it has been 10 hours since I took it off charge and a screen on time of 4.5 hours. That is ridiculous. I'm very glad I pulled the trigger on this.

Out of interest, did you update to Android 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭JTMan

My Pixel 3A order experience ...

Picked up an Eir sim on Thursday and ordered the Pixel 3A Thursday evening.
    Turned on tracking but Vodafone tracking does not work.
    Collected today from the Vodafone store.
    Phone unlocked. Works with my GoMo sim.
    Great purchase. Thanks Boards.ie posters for my new top of the range phone and new low cost sim.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

flugel wrote: »
    Out of interest, did you update to Android 10?

Yeah. Android 10 on the pixel and Android 9 on the 7 plus so it's not exactly a like for like comparison. It's possible the battery life difference is down to Android 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

Yeah. Android 10 on the pixel and Android 9 on the 7 plus so it's not exactly a like for like comparison. It's possible the battery life difference is down to Android 10.

Good to hear.

I've been scaremongered by the reports of the issues with Android 10 but can't live with this phone notifying me to update constantly so I might just update to hell and get it over with!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,
    I ordered two 48 sims yesterday..do you need to put money on them to port out? If so will just pick up two eir Sims.
    Thanks,
    Mick

Hi folks,
    I ordered two 48 sims yesterday..do you need to put money on them to port out? If so will just pick up two eir Sims.
    Thanks,
    Mick

To do the port, you just need a SIM that will receive a text for the porting code.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Basil3 wrote: »
    To do the port, you just need a SIM that will receive a text for the porting code.

It will send the verification text to a 48 number without needing to activate a membership. I thought it might need membership as you do normally to receive

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭gerrykiddy

I noticed that a few people had asked about storage and not been answered. It is 4GB and 64GB but cannot be added to. Really tempted and thanks to the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,436 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Mine arrived Friday, very quick delivery. It's a present so putting it away for a while. Thanks again OP, savage deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

Have the phone a few days now. Camera and battery superb.

For €250 this is an absolute no-brainer.

flugel wrote: »
    Good to hear.

I've been scaremongered by the reports of the issues with Android 10 but can't live with this phone notifying me to update constantly so I might just update to hell and get it over with!

The only issue I have had so far is it said the leap card app wasn't compatible so it might not work. I installed it anyway. It did have issues recognising my leap card when I first tried it (it took a few goes) but it's been grand ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭paruss100

Has anyone had issues with the order taking a long time? I ordered last Wednesday but still waiting. Contacted customer service but they seem to be trying to fob me off.

paruss100 wrote: »
    Has anyone had issues with the order taking a long time? I ordered last Wednesday but still waiting. Contacted customer service but they seem to be trying to fob me off.

I ordered mine Wednesday night and it was delivered on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭paruss100

I ordered mine Wednesday night and it was delivered on Friday.

Thanks for the reply, yes something must be wrong, I may try going to a vodafone store instead maybe they can give me one there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

I'm thick and don't understand the whole thing re 'porting' etc. I'm EIR, want to stay that way. Wondering can I buy this as ppl are saying it's unlocked / what's the craic with ppl buying sims...?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

I'm thick and don't understand the whole thing re 'porting' etc. I'm EIR, want to stay that way. Wondering can I buy this as ppl are saying it's unlocked / what's the craic with ppl buying sims...?

To get the special offer price you need to move (port) a current number to Vodafone, so that VF think they are getting your business. People in the thread above are giving advice on how to get a new SIM and number for free, in order to move *that* number to VF, rather than your current one you want to keep.

In your case, you should be able to get Eir to send you a new PAYG SIM for free (https://www.eir.ie/mobile/prepay/free-sim-cards/). When you receive it, you don't need to top it up, you only need to receive a text later. You would pop it in your current phone, go and get the offer, and port that new number to VF. The reason it needs to be contactable at the time is to get a code so that VF know it's you.

You would then just forget about that new number, and never use the VF SIM when it arrives. As the phone is unlocked, you would be able to use your current Eir SIM in it - if it was locked to the seller's network (as most are) you'd have to pay to get it unlocked.

nephster wrote: »
    To get the special offer price you need to move (port) a current number to Vodafone, so that VF think they are getting your business. People in the thread above are giving advice on how to get a new SIM and number for free, in order to move *that* number to VF, rather than your current one you want to keep.

In your case, you should be able to get Eir to send you a new PAYG SIM for free (https://www.eir.ie/mobile/prepay/free-sim-cards/). When you receive it, you don't need to top it up, you only need to receive a text later. You would pop it in your current phone, go and get the offer, and port that new number to VF. The reason it needs to be contactable at the time is to get a code so that VF know it's you.

You would then just forget about that new number, and never use the VF SIM when it arrives. As the phone is unlocked, you would be able to use your current Eir SIM in it - if it was locked to the seller's network (as most are) you'd have to pay to get it unlocked.

Beautiful - crystal clear. Thanks a mill. Will do this - I'd prefer the white or purple but I don't think I can argue with €250 vs €399!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

Beautiful - crystal clear. Thanks a mill. Will do this - I'd prefer the white or purple but I don't think I can argue with €250 vs €399!

Assume that Google will be discounting this to close to €250 on Black Friday. Might wait till then as less hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Weltsmertz wrote: »
    Assume that Google will be discounting this to close to €250 on Black Friday. Might wait till then as less hassle.

Its currently €400ish and I've seen rumours of it being discounted by $100 in US so I'd suspect it'll go down to €300 here

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

Its currently €400ish and I've seen rumours of it being discounted by $100 in US so I'd suspect it'll go down to €300 here

But they have purplish. Surely that's worth an extra €50

• Registered Users Posts: 5,435 ✭✭✭caviardreams

But they have purplish. Surely that's worth an extra €50

I got the 3A for €315 on the 21% off deal for Google's birthday a couple of months ago (thanks to the BA forum!). Can confirm, the purplish is worth the extra :pac::D:D

Prob the sensible thing to do I'd say...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭JTMan

It really is not that much hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

What's the cheapest 'Trojan horse' sim available that people have found to game this with?

Advertisement