Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Danny2580 wrote: »
    If in an area with good reception, use a cheap antenna for the Irish channels, Now TV for sky if needed, amazon firestick with VPN for uk channels {tv player app}. Then just get broadband from virgin media.

Thats what I did but I'm not saving much because Horror TV is only an extra 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Are Vodafone doing installs currently does anyone know?

Just rang Virgin & they're not budging on price, think last offer was €29 a month for 6 & then back up to €59 for other 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Are Vodafone doing installs currently does anyone know?

Just rang Virgin & they're not budging on price, think last offer was €29 a month for 6 & then back up to €59 for other 6.

Where are you getting these prices? I'm only seeing 55 quid per month for the 500MB broadband package.

Red_Wake wrote: »
    Where are you getting these prices? I'm only seeing 55 quid per month for the 500MB broadband package.

You ring them it's like doing a deal with del boy on only fools and horses. They start haggling like a 1 euro market stall out of the back of a van.

Always check your change after and that you still have your wallet. I've had more billing issues with them than any another company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

beauf wrote: »
    You ring them it's like doing a deal with del boy on only fools and horses. They start haggling like a 1 euro market stall out of the back of a van.

Always check your change after and that you still have your wallet. I've had more billing issues with them than any another company.

I rang the call centre, and the chap on the other end said that he couldn't go below 59 a month when I told him the online offer was 55 a month. Do they really have much leeway for lowering the price?

If you have any tips I'd be very appreciative of them :)

• Advertisement

You'd need to read back through the thread. Too tired of dealing with them to go back over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭micknail

Tried ring their freephone {1800 941941} number to reduce my package to BB only,
    as I was paying 82.50 a month after my 12 month deal elapsed.

After a merry go round of pressing menu options, I got to the cancelation stream,
    and after 25 mins was still queueing.
    This was at 16:30 today.

At this stage, I'm no longer reducing the package, especially as people said above that they are not budging on normal prices, which is ridic given most peoples circumstances now, and am instead changing provider.

Pity, as their internet was great, Tv rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

micknail wrote: »

It is but it's very expensive nowadays for what you are getting.
    Always a struggle to get it for cheaper when you ring them, a lot of people don't have the luxury of a decent alternative though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭chases0102

micknail wrote: »
    Tried ring their freephone {1800 941941} number to reduce my package to BB only,
    as I was paying 82.50 a month after my 12 month deal elapsed.

After a merry go round of pressing menu options, I got to the cancelation stream,
    and after 25 mins was still queueing.
    This was at 16:30 today.

At this stage, I'm no longer reducing the package, especially as people said above that they are not budging on normal prices, which is ridic given most peoples circumstances now, and am instead changing provider.

Very similar to our situation here. Who do you think you will go with?

One good thing Virgin had going for it, was their ability to provide their service without any drilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭micknail

chases0102 wrote: »
    Very similar to our situation here. Who do you think you will go with?

One good thing Virgin had going for it, was their ability to provide their service without any drilling.

whomever bonkers.ie says is the cheapest,
    vodaphone or Eir prob.
    Back to 100mb, I need it to work from home really, so hope theres not much messing around getting switched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,340 ✭✭✭✭banie01

VM sent a lovely email a few weeks ago signed of by their CEO.
    Full of platitudes and speil regarding caring for customers and being ready to help during this Covid crisis.

Contrast that with the stories here, and from others on their FB page.
    People contacting VM on foot of job loss, income reduction or similar who are looking to reduce their outgoings.
    Be it via cancelling a portion of their service or begging a discount.

You go through VM's chat option, to be told to contact cancellations.
    Then you can't get through to cancellations so no action is taken and the currently unaffordable bill continues.

Once again VM manage to rival Eir for incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭CoBo55

banie01 wrote: »
    Full of platitudes and speil regarding caring for customers and being ready to help during this Covid crisis.

People contacting VM on foot of job loss, income reduction or similar who are looking to reduce their outgoings.

Then you can't get through to cancellations so no action is taken and the currently unaffordable bill continues.

My father went into residential care and he had the old cable TV service, I tried ringing, web chat etc to cancel the service, finally I just sent them an email and cancelled the DD I got a final bill eventually for a small amount which I paid in the post office. When I get digiweb ftth I'll do the same, top class service but the cost just can't be justified and their CS is dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

So from what I’ve read, don’t expect virgin to offer me any new deal? Start looking elsewhere.

Eir or sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Mav11

phobia2011 wrote: »
    So from what I’ve read, don’t expect virgin to offer me any new deal? Start looking elsewhere.

Eir or sky?

Vodafone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

I’m a bit sickened, Eir or Vodafone can only offer me 7mb at our address, which with the amount of gaming/ streaming that goes on I’m unsure it would be enough!
    Virgin seem to have me by the balls!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I’m a bit sickened, Eir or Vodafone can only offer me 7mb at our address, which with the amount of gaming/ streaming that goes on I’m unsure it would be enough!

Is SIRO an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

banie01 wrote: »

Did you try ring their loyalty team?

I was on a deal for last year and rang up as I was out of contract, rang loyalty team, some guy working remote, just nicely asked could I be put on same deal that my wife had lost her job, was done in 60 seconds.
    I was primed to push it but it was fairly easy and then was back on the deal I was on

• I can’t get through to eir for the past week on the phone it’s terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

snap....except all i can get is about 2mb on the eir line, can't go back to that.
    what is really frustrating is that every other house i the estate can get fibre on the eir line except the 18 houses on my side of the road

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Currently paying 87:50 a month,

Rang to renew best offer was 72:50 a month for 9 months then back to 87:50. Currently get 150mbps up stairs on 5g. Connected to router pulling 350mbps... they are due to come out and test the signal next week as I am paying for 500mbps. Going to see how this goes and ring back late next week for prices again (72:50 might be the best I'll get) I really don't want to switch but I might need too?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

paying for 36 mb but getting speed of 13mb does this mean my box is faulty

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭garyskeepers

sonyvision wrote: »
    Currently paying 87:50 a month,

Rang to renew best offer was 72:50 a month for 9 months then back to 87:50. Currently get 150mbps up stairs on 5g. Connected to router pulling 350mbps... they are due to come out and test the signal next week as I am paying for 500mbps. Going to see how this goes and ring back late next week for prices again (72:50 might be the best I'll get) I really don't want to switch but I might need too?

Any update on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Rang today, on hold for an hour. Got the loveliest women. Got 9 months for €47, then €99 for last 3. I didn't even have to try. Full House 500. Shocked and delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,005 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

mean gene wrote: »
    paying for 36 mb but getting speed of 13mb does this mean my box is faulty

13mb wired or wireless? You can't blame them for the local wireless connection.

off the horizon box keeps crashing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

You can. Especially when their hardware is ****e.

You can. Especially when their hardware is ****e.

Come-on. How many people who rely on wireless- actually use the Virgin-Media wifi? I imagine most go and invest in a proper wifi-router- life is too short for the piece of tat that VM insist on giving people.

Come-on. How many people who rely on wireless- actually use the Virgin-Media wifi? I imagine most go and invest in a proper wifi-router- life is too short for the piece of tat that VM insist on giving people.

Probably the majority of people?

I dunno why but the WiFi on my Hub 3 has always dropped on a regular basis whereas my own router does not. The ethernet doesn't do anything like as frequently. So it's not the connection it's the hardware.

I everytime I complain to VM I have to drop back to their default settings to get support to look at it. They don't support bridge mode. Tbh is a pain in the house having multiple routers.

so virgin customers are plugging their virgin cables into a different wifi router to the one virgin supply you with is that right

• Advertisement

mean gene wrote: »
    so virgin customers are plugging their virgin cables into a different wifi router to the one virgin supply you with is that right

They are using their Virgin supplied cable modem- but disabling wifi on it- and hard connecting a separate wifi router to it in bridge mode. Its actually quite straight forward- and a damn sight more reliable than wifi from Virgin's own router.

The wifi in the Compal (Virgin) boxes- is renowned for how poor it is.
    Compal make the cheapest possible OEM tat.

Advertisement