Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleet and Snow showers in the West and North - Possible Wednesday March 7th

• 03-03-2012 4:14am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just to say that snow showers will affect the North and West over the next 72 hours. Accumulation of snow likely Saturday night. Snow showers more widespread Sunday night for a time before dieing out. Frost and Ice likely.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Above 300m though yea?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

And this is what MT says in his daily forecast today.

I think I'll not bother getting excited .....as usual. :D
    SUNDAY ... Morning sleet or snow possible near east coast and over parts of the south, variable cloud elsewhere with isolated wintry showers, followed by a general clearing trend, chilly, highs 5-8 C. Winds northerly 20-40 mph in eastern counties, 15-30 mph west.

Can you explain to us why you say west and north while MT says east and south Darkman???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

We have had some major hail showers a bit of tunder too.The tempature has droped over 5 degrees in the last hour (suncroft kildare)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    And this is what MT says in his daily forecast today.

I think I'll not bother getting excited .....as usual. :D

Can you explain to us why you say west and north while MT says east and south Darkman???

Well met eireann seem to be of the view that there will be wintry showers in the north and west tonight and tomorrow, albeit any snow being confined to high ground. Also the BBC precipitation charts last night did show some snow showers in the north and west.

Well met eireann seem to be of the view that there will be wintry showers in the north and west tonight and tomorrow, albeit any snow being confined to high ground.

ah yes, Met eireann say

http://www.met.ie/
    Tonight, showers will continue in Western and northwestern coastal counties, some of hail and sleet, with snow over high ground. There is also a risk of thunder. Some heavy showers of rain and sleet are possible for a time later this evening and early tonight in parts of Munster and Leinster, with snow over high ground, but most parts will become dry and clear later in the night. Very cold everywhere, with widespread sharp to severe frost and a risk of icy patches. Mist and fog patches also, as winds slacken. Minimum temperatures 0 to minus 3 Celsius.

Nothing unusual about flurries of muck on high ground in March. However 95% of the population does not live on High Ground.

I think that wintry showers could occur absolutely anywhere save on the south coast myself and I still wonder why the west and north are being picked on here :)

• Advertisement

ah yes, Met eireann say

http://www.met.ie/

Nothing unusual about flurries of muck on high ground in March. However 95% of the population does not live on High Ground.

I think that wintry showers could occur absolutely anywhere save on the south coast myself and I still wonder why the west and north are being picked on here :)

I'm well aware that most of us don't live on high ground. However,
    there is always the possibility that snow may make it to lower ground at times in these situations when its not forecasted to. I recall this actually happening earlier this winter , believe it or not!

Any showers will most likely die out in most other places over night on Saturday. Showers do look more widespread on Sunday, though.

actually there has been a slight upgrade to the met eireann forecast:

Cold this evening and tonight with clear spells and showers. Some showers heavy and possibly thundery and turning to hail and sleet in places overnight. A few snow showers also, mainly on high ground. Lowest temperatures plus 1 to -3 C., with a hard frost, icy patches and possibly some patches of fog at dawn.

not likely there will be any disruptive snow lower down, but at least the possibility of snow at lower ground is being mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Ah perhaps we could get some surprise snow but I'm not holding my breath. Its spring now and even though in the past we have experienced some harsh cold, I'm in warm mode now and a scorching summer with ferocious thunder storms would be gladly welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

redsunset wrote: »
    Ah perhaps we could get some surprise snow but I'm not holding my breath. Its spring now and even though in the past we have experienced some harsh cold, I'm in warm mode now and a scorching summer with ferocious thunder storms would be gladly welcomed.

:D:D oh yeah !!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

There is alot of chopping and changing that comes with marginality in certain events. MT is correct that there could be some sleet and snow for a short time in the East (at low levels too) later tonight as an occlusion crosses the country pepping up activity but most shower activity will be in the West. There won't be much snow in the East and it looks to be mostly rain. Back edge snow. Needless to say most of the sleet and snow on higher ground but lower ground at times too.

Very marginal

12030400_0312.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

The **** flinging by certain members at other members on this forum is now beyond a joke. If someone makes a judgement and it differs from another poster why should they have to quantify it? Used to be a great place to get an idea on the weather, but now its an ePeeing ground!

darkman2 wrote: »
    Back edge snow. Needless to say most of the sleet and snow on higher ground but lower ground at times too.

Very marginal

12030400_0312.gif

Exceedingly marginal. It is 6c or so out there now so it could happen I suppose. But it was a 25% possibility all along.

I'll report first hand accumulation data from 40mASL in the West tomorrow morning shall I???

12z GFS. Not that different from 00z shown below.

12030406_0312.gif

Saturday 00z GFS for same timeframe. This would have been the latest operable around thread start time.

12030406_0300.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

snow borderlineish but it is a cold night. a lot of cloud here and 3.8c almost constantly since 9pm so doesnt seem to be getting colder. id say there will be hail and ice patches here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Sleet/snow In Tuam right now..

417405_10150719265521718_631736717_11963645_1331939846_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Met Update 2242-Rain over eastern parts will clear after midnight, followed by clear spells. Showers of rain, hail and sleet over the west and north will spread further east overnight and some will reach the east coast. On high ground, a few snow showers are likely also. Lowest temperatures of plus 1 to -3 degrees, with a widespread sharp or severe frost, icy patches and possibly some patches of fog at dawn as winds ease.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Showers turning increasingly to sleet and snow from the West atm - that will continue through the night. A decent chance a good few of us will see a few flakes if nothing else and this would be particularly the case in heavy showers. Some accumulation in the west is also likely later in the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Last chance saloon for a wee bit if snow watching and it looks like we'll have to wait up till the small hours. Blooming typical. Can I really be bothered ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

driving from sligo to donegal at the moment 3 degrees clear skies

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

living in sligo but its 1.6c and clear. no showers at all and sky is pretty clear.

any showers later will stick to cold roads especially in country even sleety mush will look like snow but it will be graupel

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tartetatin

Snowing heavily near Blessington, Wicklow. Little hope of it sticking after a lot of rain this evening. Such a shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 tartetatin

Snowing heavily near Blessington, Wicklow. Little hope of it sticking after a lot of rain this evening. Such a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

nice covering here in ballinrobe. As soon as that sun comes above the horizon it will melt away. Good to see temperatures below 0 for only about the 4th time this winter. Currently -0.3!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

it snowed a little in cork city :) gone now

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭chilipepper

Snow on the ground in east clare.
    Good call darkman.

Snow on the ground in east clare.
    Good call darkman.

CLARE?!.... :eek:

So WOLFY might have actually seen some too!?! ... SHOCKING! haha!

Nothing near me save for occasional enthusiastic flurries of hail and sleet. Temps will start to drop sharply quite shortly.

Nothing near me save for occasional enthusiastic flurries of hail and sleet. Temps will start to drop sharply quite shortly.

I'll take them anyday compared to nothingness thank you very much! :pac:

425568_10150720611451718_631736717_11969685_588801428_n.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Some light rain last night around midnight; didn't leave a trace of anything here at 120m asl or on the hilltops 2km west of here (500m asl).

How high is "high ground"? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Some light rain last night around midnight; didn't leave a trace of anything here at 120m asl or on the hilltops 2km west of here (500m asl).

How high is "high ground"? :cool:

I was in mayo today and there was very little snow on the south facing slopes of the mountains. Maybe only on the tops at about 700m or so. But the north facing slopes had plenty of snow down to 400m or lower, so the sun was having a big effect.

Id say the dublin mtns had snow down to about 250m but it would have melted very very quickly in any sunshine today.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Id say the dublin mtns had snow down to about 250m but it would have melted very very quickly in any sunshine today.

Well, it managed to melt before sunrise on Three Rock! (if it was ever there, which I seriously doubt as the temp was +4c during the showers last night at 120m asl) :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement