Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ICEDOME

• 19-05-2010 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hey anyone have any info on when the Icedome will be open again?? :confused: feeling the urge to get skating again

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

Rookey wrote: »
    Hey anyone have any info on when the Icedome will be open again?? :confused: feeling the urge to get skating again

Two weeks is the latest rumor.....

I will keep ya updated...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

what has happened in the ice dome

I heard they are changing the advertising under the ice , so they are melting it and putting in new advertising .

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Last time I checked their website it said they were awaiting 'technical experts' from the UK so I assumed there was something broken? Then again, with the Dome, you just never know what the hell is going on....

Wisco wrote: »
    Last time I checked their website it said they were awaiting 'technical experts' from the UK so I assumed there was something broken? Then again, with the Dome, you just never know what the hell is going on....

That you Frank?

• Advertisement

Sorry, but no, definitely not Frank!

Any news yet on a re-opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Zenner

I also heard a few different things that was happening in the Dome... not sure if there is something more serious going on but once the doors are closed there must be no money being made and two weeks for tec problems to be fixed. I think the tec problem being there will be a new owner soon maybe. We will all have to wait and see I guess. A facility only three years old and problems with the Plant... don't think so.

it does sound funny all right.

petty it wasn't more central were people could could take advanage of this place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭PMC83

Any word on this? Seems unlikely they have had to wait 3 weeks for guys from the UK, it would be a shame to see it go, on the other hand maybe some more guys would get back into inline!:D

if you go on to the ice domes site they say they have removed all the ice. can't remember the rest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭synacron trion

cena wrote: »
    if you go on to the ice domes site they say they have removed all the ice. can't remember the rest

From the website
    THE DUNDALK ICE DOME IS STILL TEMPORARILY CLOSED WE ARE CURRENTLY WORKING ON THE ISSUES AND WILL KEEP YOU UPDATED ON OUR PROGRESS.

ALL THE ICE HAS BEEN REMOVED AND WE ARE WORKING ON THE PLANT AND VARIOUS MAINTENANCE WORKS.

KEEP WATCHING FOR UPDATES ON THE COMPLETION OF OUR FIGURE SKATING COURSE AND OTHER ACTIVITIES INCLUDING OUR ICE HOCKEY SUMMER LEAGUE THAT WE WILL BE RUNNING INCONJUNCTION WITH THE IIHA WHICH WE HOPE TO RUN IN JULY AND AUGUST....

SORRY FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE CAUSED.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Rookey

Seriously getting the urge to skate! How is it when you can't get something, you want it even more!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Zenner

As I thought in my past post and no money. Its been taken over by the UK Company called Planet Ice. There was a statement in a Dundalk news paper during the week. You now all know the ice/plant problem was not true but the lack of money was. They said something about it will be opening by the end of the month but I guess I will be still surprised to see no further problems.

Its a bit funny to see a company come in a take over a rink that is not making money in the right area with such huge overheads. I guess it will suck from the other rinks they own/run in the UK for a while and hoping it can get back on its feet.

Thats a shame. Allways thought that it was in the worst place ever though to be honest. They should have attached it to a shoping center, Liffy Vally, Blanchards town, something like that.

Admittadly its handy for the locals in Dundalk, but from a financial point of view? I can't imagine they would get too many walk in cumtomers where they are...

I agree- crazy that it's so far from most people in Ireland. Perhaps these people will actually know how to run a rink properly and get it going again.

But I do hope it does really re-open!! I can face a few months without hockey, but not sure I could give it up all together again.

it should of been built more central in ireland. athlone would be a great spot you can get the train etc from most parts of the country too athlone.

I agree- crazy that it's so far from most people in Ireland. Perhaps these people will actually know how to run a rink properly and get it going again.

But I do hope it does really re-open!! I can face a few months without hockey, but not sure I could give it up all together again.

Is the one in Charlestown, Dublin still open?

Nope :( Charlestown closed after Christmas last year. It wasn't the greatest rink ever but it was a helluva lot closer to me than Dundalk!!!

Nope :( Charlestown closed after Christmas last year. It wasn't the greatest rink ever but it was a helluva lot closer to me than Dundalk!!!

How is ice hockey and other ice based sports meant to grow at all in Ireland with these seasonal crappy rinks.

I am in Australia where it is still relatively warm and its the middle of winter and there are 2 permanent rinks in my city. I am only 20 minutes in the door from playing ice hockey at one of them. The people here are shocked when I tell them there is pretty much no ice hockey in Ireland at all.

Hey peeps- any news on when there might be ice again? Think I may have forgotten how to skate by now..... Also any gossip about this years leagues would be good :D

• Advertisement

The jobs for the ice dome are up on the fas.ie website so that must mean it is opening again :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Also seems that Planet Ice (Dundalk) is official online - but no info as such. What I found is: http://www.ukdata.com/company-credit-reports/PLANET-ICE-%28DUNDALK%29-LIMITED.html

August is what we were told at the iiha agm on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

I had the best time ever coming back to hockey after an 8 year leave in that rink. I played 5 days a week there. The ice was crap, the fascilities were terrible. But it was a rink that played hockey.

How is ice hockey and other ice based sports meant to grow at all in Ireland with these seasonal crappy rinks.

I am in Australia where it is still relatively warm and its the middle of winter and there are 2 permanent rinks in my city. I am only 20 minutes in the door from playing ice hockey at one of them. The people here are shocked when I tell them there is pretty much no ice hockey in Ireland at all.

Irelands a hole and its run by idiots. Look at skateboarding/bmxing/rollerblading now. Before the boom of skateparks there was a cry for them for nearly 30 years, they open up 3 parks, then all of a sudden theres another 3. People arent getting beat up for skating, and the kids have a place to go.

Its the same with hockey, only they feel that there is more interest and need for rugby/football pitches (mainly gaa tho) so they put more money into that.. the reality is, its cheap to paint grass.
    miceal wrote: »
    August is what we were told at the iiha agm on Sunday

is that for dundalk or the 'other one'..

Dundalk has been bought over by planet ice from the UK . So its re-opening.

In the Dundalk Democrat back in early June, they mentioned this, and also indicated would be open by end of that month - still no official update since then. They keep deleting all queries on their facebook page - if they are not going to bother replying they should at least change their admin settings that any posts on there have to be approved first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

This isnt true. There were talks about that happening, people just took it as gospel and started to say this was the case. I hope it is, for obvious reasons, but i dont have my hopes up.

Has anyone heard any update as of yet, as to what is happening? Also, anyone know of anything re the planned rink in Dublin (Artane area)? Is this still going ahead?

I wouldn't get those hopes up. On the otehr hand, inline hockey seems to be on the up and up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 s_e_r

hi everyone, it looks like the ice dome is re-opening after all, see this article in the Dundalk Democrat updated today-

http://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/dundalknews/Ice-Dome-finally-set-to.6496697.jp

Advertisement