Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Last of the V8 Interceptors.. my XB Falcon Coupe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,375 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Holy ****ing ****, this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Daved_XB wrote: »
    The shed is 14.5m wide & 10m deep... the height at the low point which is the top of the front hanger doors is 3.5m & the apex height is a little over 4.5m

Thank you for those dimensions, I won't get that into my garden but at least I can visualise it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Sitting here watching 'Chopper' and the scene where Chopper shoots Sammy the Turk in the car park of BoJangles Nightclub, there's 3 Falcon XB's in the car park and suddenly reminded of this thread!

How's she coming along Dave?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Daved_XB

Thanks for checking in.... long story short I've not really done anything in the shed for the last few months... I've just started back on the cars & you'll start to see some thread updates coming soon... but this one will be a few weeks away whilst I get some other stuff on the other cars done first...

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

How have I not spotted this thread before. You have much skill and even more determination. Fantastic work and I'm eagerly awaiting updates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Well worth following Dave's Challenger project too so:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057177969

I’ve had some more parts turn up for the XB this week… I’ve been working hard on the Dodge Challenger (look for a thread update this week) & so as that car is getting closer to going for paint the closer I am to getting back into this car full on.

The company I’d bought all the suspension bits from have finally engineered a new single billet solid lower front control arm, this is a very nice bit of kit & as with a lot of the bits of these cars, almost too good to hide them away under the car.

IMG_7793_zps7juf6eoz.jpg

IMG_7792_zpsm61kmdxh.jpg

IMG_7791_zpsqcnvqhwl.jpg

You may remember when looking at the underside of the car, the seat support braces where all smashed in from years of poor jack placements & hitting rocks etc… one of the benefits of me being so slow & slack with this car is that more & more parts are getting made.

IMG_7802_zpsmhlxdmu6.jpg

IMG_7803_zpsv3ysnoid.jpg

IMG_7804_zpsof2nnv7o.jpg

Also the same company make a new front crossmember section… I had repaired mine but I wasn’t happy with it really & this new one had a section of 7mm thick plate built into it so it will never buckle again when jacking.. so I’ll have to remove that section again.

IMG_7805_zps7hrczaze.jpg

IMG_7806_zpsmis0oqex.jpg

IMG_7807_zps5vmoacze.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yay he's back!! :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

So Weird!!
    I was doing a spring clean unfollowing older dead threads last night and hovered over this one for a second, but then thought "..Nah, he'll be back, and I want to see it finished"
    And today... new posts!

Right, so I’ve changed my mind again… I had decided that I would focus on the Challenger only & leave the XB until such time as the Challenger had gone to paint… now I’ve flipped on that again & decided to work on both side by side again, after all a change is as a good as a rest as they say..

First job… pull the old girl out of resting place in the corner

IMG_7819_zps6bxa7jet.jpg

I can’t believe how well this rotisserie rolls with the car on it, it took me 2 minutes on my own to swing the car around & place it where I wanted it… genuinely took longer to sweep the floor clean before moving it back

IMG_7824_zpspkgcs1cq.jpg

IMG_7826_zpsna5bv0k0.jpg

IMG_7830_zpstyuw3up5.jpg

The next step is very much a 2 person job & in fact could do with a 3rd.. spun the car back up at 90 deg to give me full access to the underside of the car

IMG_7832_zpsrtdh3m6s.jpg

IMG_7833_zps3zhqithe.jpg

IMG_7834_zpsxpwkd3ei.jpg

The first job I want to tackle is replacing the bottom of the front crossmember, I had repaired the original section a while back & it currently looks like this

IMG_7835_zps6co44cqe.jpg

The new replacement piece is way thicker & much heavier duty for jacking up off & the likes

IMG_7844_zpszk3npwfi.jpg

First step is drilling out the spot welds & start to pry the plate away from the crossmember

IMG_7847_zps0x9bcnmd.jpg

• Advertisement

With that off we can compare the old & new on the bench

IMG_7848_zpsq6kjsvhy.jpg

IMG_7849_zpstgiwsn96.jpg

Separating bits like this always leaves the metal a little bend out of shape

IMG_7851_zpsymkhhpc8.jpg

A little hammer & dolly work is needed to get everything back to through & straight

IMG_7852_zpsiq7y2rkt.jpg

IMG_7853_zpsykoklb3s.jpg

Then I coated it all in rust thru primer as getting in behind there in the future may be difficult

IMG_7858_zpstbi6ojh1.jpg

Took the black paint off the new piece & coated it too ready to be clamped on & welded

IMG_7860_zps7guqjd8o.jpg

IMG_7862_zpsllhvpmt0.jpg

Then just tidy up the welds & apply a top coat of primer

IMG_7863_zpsjcjeesic.jpg

IMG_7882_zpsrkpmvorp.jpg

The next bits I’m looking to replace are the seat support sections that are smashed up pretty badly.. from what I assume was a lot of ill planned jacking over the years & perhaps even some dukes of hazard style off roading who knows

IMG_7836_zpspmbemcsg.jpg

IMG_7837_zps9bpasm8k.jpg

The new reproduced panel is a great bit of kit, it looks great & fits up well

IMG_7842_zpse8dklinf.jpg

IMG_7843_zpsud6hy8ao.jpg

Removal is the same process as above for the other section, drill out the spot welds & then start gently prying the section away from the body

IMG_7867_zps3rpznl6z.jpg

IMG_7868_zpsupwzespd.jpg

With that off you can see that underneath it needs to be cleaned up & prepped

IMG_7881_zpsxjlws7ra.jpg

Lets compare old & new on the bench

IMG_7869_zpslxogxebr.jpg

IMG_7870_zpsltb21kel.jpg

Then a quick test fit to see how much work will be needed to fit this up before I call it quits for the night

IMG_7874_zpsnxctebpa.jpg

IMG_7880_zpsxmdxqz2u.jpg

This side at least looks like it will be very easy to fit up… happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Makes my day when I seen updates to this thread. I love seeing the old girl getting restored.

(Apologies to followers of the thread for a non-XB Falcon update!) :)

I cleaned up the years of dirt & grime plus the original ford paint off the floor section that was under the section I just removed.

IMG_7883_zpsiattongy.jpg

There was a section of floor damaged that caused a rip when I was fighting to get the part off, so I welded that tear up (you can see the blue discoloured section) but left the drilled hole as I’ll use that for one of the plug welds when I’m fitting the new section.

IMG_7885_zpsz22nbbd7.jpg

IMG_7886_zpstpfjntcy.jpg

I also decided that I would not just rely on the factory method of joining the floor to the inner sill, Ford just used spot welds where the floor turns up at 90 degs & sits against the sill. To that end I’ve decided to stitch weld the join of the floor to the sill under the car.

IMG_7889_zps0pmgpv5o.jpg

IMG_7892_zpsla2vdepb.jpg

I’ve also decided to stich or seam weld if you like the torque boxes to the floor

IMG_7891_zpssowjsvnn.jpg

IMG_7893_zpsek1turmi.jpg

Hope to get out into the shed on the weekend & finish the seam/stitch welding & also weld on the seat support crossmember & then if I can phone a friend I’ll look to flip the car over 180 on the rotisserie so that I can get to the other side easier rather than working close to the shed floor to do the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Appreciate the update Dave as always, she's going to be spectacular when complete!

Just how rare are these 70s Falcons XB Coupes to get hold of? Would the Sedans be more available?

Appreciate the update Dave as always, she's going to be spectacular when complete!

Just how rare are these 70s Falcons XB Coupes to get hold of? Would the Sedans be more available?

The simple answer is very rare… they have exploded in price now that a lot of people are buying them as investments & as such you never see them out. Others are too afraid to get them out & finally a lot of them are now off the road being restored as finally the value of a restored car means that its economically variable to sink $50k+ into restoring one & still make a profit when you sell one.

I was lucky & bought mine nearly 20 years for nothing, I see parts sell every day for more than I paid for my complete running car back then. It’s a shame to see the prices go the way they have as it means you only see them at shows now a lot & they are priced out of the range of a lot of folks really.

This increase in price & the rarity of the Coupe body shape is now pushing the 4 door sedans to what I would call silly money, complete basket cases that would have been dumped in the tip 10-15 years ago are now selling as “ripe for restoration” projects for thousands of dollars.

Another small update here, coated the floor section that would be covered in weld-through primer & then I pre-drilled the holes into the seat brace section that I would be welding on

IMG_7899_zpskowb9pri.jpg

IMG_7900_zpsngeqg9ft.jpg

Then fitted & clamped it up to allow me to weld it in place fully, trying not to get too much heat into the floor

IMG_7901_zps7gjzssi7.jpg

IMG_7902_zpsfsgpwmf3.jpg

IMG_7903_zpsd3lbcoau.jpg

IMG_7904_zpsjvbvemch.jpg

I’ve also started beefing up the job that Ford did in the 70’s when building the car in the first place, so for example where the chassis rails only have tiny welds spaced 6-7 inches apart, so I’m stitching those factory welds together now

IMG_7944_zpskrawbhpp.jpg

IMG_7946_zpsupoydhs2.jpg

Holy thread revival Batman….. ok so in a pre-COVID world I was doing a lot of travel for work & only had 1 full weekend a month really to work on cars, so you may recall that I parked this project to focus full time on the Challenger… I assume if you’re reading this thread you’re on top of things already… if not TLDR is I need the rotisserie now for the Challenger project to do the underside & I’ve decided that rather than take the XB off & put the Challenger on to then have to put the XB back on to finish the underside of it… I’m going to work on getting the underside of the XB done before pulling her off the rotisserie…

So to that end I played my fave game of Muscle car Tetris & now the XB has the prime spot in the center of the shed to be worked on… luckily the rotisserie is really easy to move about with the car on it

IMG_8671.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8674.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8673.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8675.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

There are a lot of little annoying areas that I just can’t get a grinding disk or even a wire wheel on a drill into… I may look at buying a small home sand blaster to allow me to get everywhere clean… we’ll see, it’s Sunday morning now so time to take a fresh large cup of tea to the shed & get cracking….. Got stuck into stitch welding the drivers side sill along it’s full length… there are a few spots where the metal needs to be asked to join flush

IMG_8676.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Finished that now… I’ll linish it all off nice & flat during the week

IMG_8680.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8678.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Sadly I’ve run out of welding gas now… & its late Sunday afternoon so I’ll have to wait till tomorrow now to go & get another bottle…

IMG_8682.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Slideways

Once I get a house and a garage all I will need is some talent and the mrs permission and I shall get myself a similar project :D

Slideways wrote: »
    Once I get a house and a garage all I will need is some talent and the mrs permission and I shall get myself a similar project :D

Don't wait for talent.. I started with none & haven't really moved on from that level... just jump in feet first into a project & you'll be amazed at how fast you'll learn...

Also it's always easier to ask forgiveness that permission I've heard it said :D

• Advertisement

Got a bit more done… there is an exhaust heat shield on the car, my car clearly only had a single muffler setup from the factory as I only have one of there… I’m going to take this off to clean under it & if I decide to put it back on then I’ll make a second mirror image one to go on the other side as I’ll obviously be having two mufflers on the back of this car

IMG_8684.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8686.JPG?width=590&height=370&fit=bounds

IMG_8688.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8687.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

There are some big dents in the bottom of some of the chassis rail sections & I’d like to pull them out of I could

IMG_8689.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I’ve tried using my dent puller but the thickness of the rails is too much & these weld on pins just snap off, I’ll have to have another think on what to do here

IMG_8690.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I want to seam weld a lot of the floor sheet metal joins given how much extra BHP this car will see when back on the road

IMG_8683.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8693.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8694.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I’m also going to go through & patch up a lot of holes in the body of this car, there are countless that people have drilled into this car over the years for god knows what reasons… but I’ll be welding them all up

IMG_8691.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8692.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Also need to unstitch the drivers side seat support so that I can replace that next

IMG_8696.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8697.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Usual process of drilling out the spot welds & then prying the metal apart

IMG_8698.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I had a hard time finding a non-industrial sand blaster… if I’d wanted to spend over 7 grand I could get a big one but finding anyone who had a small DIY kinda one was hard… lots of places offered to order me one in but with delivery times of 12 weeks of more.. so I had a choice of one model so I picked that

IMG_9259.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Of course my current old trusty air compressor isn’t big enough to run this so I ended up having to splash out on a shiny new bigger compressor too..

IMG_9269.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_9272.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Now I don’t want to just use the sand blaster in the shed as that will cover everything in inches of crap & will make an epic mess… so I’ve ordered a portable outdoor gazebo type thingy that I’ll set up & roll the car into so that I can contain my blasting media mess… you can sieve it & reuse it up to 7 or 8 times I’m told

Got the old seat support brace full off..

IMG_8699.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Then cleaned 45 years of crud & crap out from under it, I do wonder if I should seam weld these new sections on to keep crap from getting under them again…. But then that’s probably over kill, I’ll just make sure it’s well primed I guess

IMG_8703.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Test fitting the new section… these are such high quality & fit so well, I wish everyone made patch panels this good

IMG_8702.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8701.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8700.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Spent a bit of time just walking around the car trying to gauge just how much body work is still to be done… a lot seems to be the answer, the area where the inner boot floor joins the bottom of the rear Qtr panels are only tacked in place really & they need to be fully welded up

IMG_8704.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Also where the inner wheel tub joins the boot floor is a section where 3 layers of metal meet & they need to be straightened & then seam welded

IMG_8705.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Both rear corner sections where the Qtrs meet the rear beaver panel need to be fully welded up too… unlike the job on the challenger I think that there is actually less reshaping work to be done here

IMG_8707.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8706.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I thought I had finished the install of the panel that sits under the rear window between the window & the boot but seems I don’t finished the drivers side it seems, so passenger side still to go

IMG_8708.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Also where the green rear speaker panel (which is sourced from a sedan here) isn’t fully welded in yet

IMG_8711.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

You can see here the holes to the right of the speaker cutouts, these are were the seat belts mounted in a sedan so they are not needed for me in the Coupe at all so these will be welded up

IMG_8709.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

The Coupe seatbelts mount to these holes on the very ends of the speaker panel as the central seat (not that you ever want to be in the middle seat in the rear) is a lap only belt in a Coupe

IMG_8710.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

It's taking shape, serious work

Thanks... as I have no plans to travel outside of my house for the next month or two or four... I hope to get most of this done this year

I’m waiting for something to be delivered so that I can media blast the underside of the car, so I’ve decided to move on & focus on some other sections… so roof next, first job is to get it back to shiny bare metal

IMG_8712.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8715.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8714.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

At some point in this cars life someone decided to fit an aerial to the centre of the roof & I’ve always hated it… so time to sort this hole

IMG_8716.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8717.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

There is a central rib that runs along the roof, you can see it here & you can see the rust that was formed from the water leaking thru the aerial hole over time

IMG_9387.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I forced a washer in between the rib & the roof skin so that I’d have something to weld too to close up the hole without putting too much heat into the roof panel

IMG_8718.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8719.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Once that’s been linished back its like it wasn’t ever there… I do love working with metal

IMG_8720.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

A quick wash down with prep wash & then a coat of primer & I’m done

IMG_8723.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8722.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8721.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Next up I’m going to work on the rear parcel shelf, this is a multi-piece panel so it will need to be welded along all the seams, first up clean it all back to bare metal

IMG_8725.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8724.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Then weld in slow small sections so as to not put too much heat into the panels as always

IMG_8728.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8727.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8738.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8734.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Next up was to finish where the rear under window panel joins to the rear Qtr panel

IMG_8726.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8732.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Now I’ve said that the rear parcel shelf is a multi-piece panel & the rear most section actually curls up & joins the boot drip rail on the panel that runs under the rear window… ALL XA-XB-XC Coupes rust out here as the factory didn’t seal this section well & water gets in.. so I’m being uber sure that I seal the hell out of it.. now I didn’t want to weld it vertical so I decided to roll the car over to a more horizontal position.. I’ve never done this on my own & will probably never try again… I came very close to being found smushed into the roof of the shed willie coyote style as the kinetic rotational energy was a little greater than I’d expected as the car is unbalanced as it has a door & front guard on the passenger side only… this was as close to horizontal as I could get it

IMG_8730.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I was then able to stand in the boot opening & start welding the panel joins up

IMG_8733.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Finished, just need to linish it back & paint it up now

IMG_8735.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I then asked Mr’s XB out to assist so that I could spin the car level without another near death experience so that I can start finishing off the where the rear Qtr’s join to the tail light panel

IMG_8740.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8739.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

IMG_8736.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Sadly the weekend did end in a somber way.. whilst I had a dodged a wildly spinning XB on a rotisserie style incident… tragically an old friend & trusted car restoration partner passed on Sunday evening… I did my best to get the smoke back into his motors but sadly I failed & as such my grinder passed into that great workshop in the sky….. fare thee well to Valhalla old friend….

IMG_8737.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Great update as always..but do be careful rotating the cars. We all want to see Daved_XB and his cars (and Mrs XB) last many many more decades to come.

Advertisement