Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sh!t that makes you feel old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

Comhra wrote: »
    Taking a load of my CDs into the charity shop.

Going to the charity shop and buying them for 50c each...and thinking it's a fantastic deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

cobweb wrote: »
    Cobweb your mention of cd player in the car even seems old.

QUOTE]

Had kids in car today and had to explain what a cd was before bluetoothing spotify from my phone to car. 2 of them ha and never seen a cd.

love my cds and my vinyl and spotify,

Damn, I still have a load of cassettes from the 90s...

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the-island-man

Looking at a girl in her 20's and thinking about what your 1 year old daughter will be like at that age and hoping she gets through life ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

will they do ya for all occasions bubbles.

When you sing along to the songs on the Ronan Collins show you know youve aged.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

ampleforth wrote: »

Damn, I still have a load of cassettes from the 90s...

I only found a box earlier with cassettes ive been putting a few on in the last hour, interesting recordings off the radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

220px-Z%C3%BCndpl%C3%A4ttchen1.jpg

a child today would have absolutely no idea what this is

Does anyone remember threading them with a needle concertinaed cap to cap, totally wrapping them in cellotape and leaving a scraped of sulphur fuse then lighting them and waiting for the big bang.

The Provo's had nothing on us
    Yesterday i was trying to get our 11 year old off his ps4, and he says its not fair, just because you had no xbix or ps4 when you were my age.

I say we had better, we had the nes and the megadrive

Meh, pong was just as good to those that knew no better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Was chatting with my neighbour (same age as I) recently and stopped mid-sentence and asked her suddenly confused, did I tell you that already? She said, I don't know, did you?
    Definitely old biddy territory :mad:

The other day I was digging up some old family photos and found one of my niece as a cute toddler. Later I contacted my brother and asked him, how is Carry's niece doing at school? He said, she just moved in with her boyfriend - she's 20 by now :o
    And he told me that my nephew's wife (he is old enough to have a wife?) is expecting a baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

actually I am starting to rather enjoy it; as someone said to me, we are old enough to be part of history...

Does anyone remember threading them with a needle concertinaed cap to cap, totally wrapping them in cellotape and leaving a scraped of sulphur fuse then lighting them and waiting for the big bang.

The Provo's had nothing on us

Meh, pong was just as good to those that knew no better

We did exactly as you describe-except used a 3 match horizontal fuse attached to the banger-so one match lights then the next and the 3rd match ignites the banger- (friendly matches back then so you could struck off a wall etc and then throw them)- except, one day, selotape stuck to my finger after I lit the fuse-Damn it was sore :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

lbc2019 wrote: »
    My 17 year old niece didn't know who Brendan Grace was!

Was he in Father Ted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

I bought new shoes today, and I didn't care about the style...I chose them because they were comfortable.

I buy slip on shoes and sandals with velcro on the straps as anything with laces and buckles is hard work. (as Brendan grace used to say you know you're getting old when you bend down to tie your laces and you're wondering is there anything else you can do when you're down there!)

also when I buy a new watch it must have an expandable band not a strap with a buckle.
    don't care how they look. convenience is more important.

I met people the other day I grew up with- just a few years older than me- about 5-no more- they’re now grandparents

*swigs bottle of Southern Comfort like Dan Aykroyd did in Trading Places•

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

McGaggs wrote: »
    Was he in Father Ted?

She aint familiar with Father Ted, she was born in 2001!

When talking music with my workmates and discussing gigs they were going to and gigs id love to go to they looked at me smiled in a sympathetic manner tilted their head and remarked, Oh you know who Picture This is.

The awwwwwwww at the beginning of the sentence was silent. I suddenly realised I could be the parent of the 25 year old I was talking to. Im 46 and had been listening to the cd in the car on the way to work that morning

I mixed up Picture This with Picture House!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Having to Google the meaning of 'IKR' which my 15year old cousin left as a reply on my Instagram post.

To thine own self be true

Having to Google the meaning of 'IKR' which my 15year old cousin left as a reply on my Instagram post.

I know right? Fml yolo bae

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not an age thing I'd say, just not embracing the need to turn everything into an acronym!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

ampleforth wrote: »
    Going to the charity shop and buying them for 50c each...and thinking it's a fantastic deal.
    A lot of charity shops don't take them anymore as they can't sell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,799 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

That 18 year olds were born in 2001
    Fight Club is 20 years old
    The Simpsons first episode aired 30 years ago
    Facebook is 15 this year
    The first Harry Potter book came out 22 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    A relative starting secondary school in September.

Said relative, born in 2005.

Is 14 not a bit old to only be going into secondary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I buy slip on shoes and sandals with velcro on the straps as anything with laces and buckles is hard work. (as Brendan grace used to say you know you're getting old when you bend down to tie your laces and you're wondering is there anything else you can do when you're down there!)

also when I buy a new watch it must have an expandable band not a strap with a buckle.
    don't care how they look. convenience is more important.

Erm , I wear an old pair of combats when doing gardening or doing some DIY , they are really hard wearing , but my wife got sick of replacing the buttons in them and stuck in two peices of velcro instead of replacing the buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭banie01

lbc2019 wrote: »
    She aint familiar with Father Ted, she was born in 2001!

Ahhh that's no excuse!
    My kid was born in 2004 and can quote whole episodes!

It's plainly poor parenting ;) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

DareGod wrote: »
    Is 14 not a bit old to only be going into secondary?

Held back a year in Primary School.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

banie01 wrote: »
    Ahhh that's no excuse!
    My kid was born in 2004 and can quote whole episodes!

It's plainly poor parenting ;) :pac:

Just tell the kids to ignore the odd fu.ck, and reference to yanking yerself off around the clock :)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

Walking around Lidl earlier and a Mom tells her kids to "get out of the man's way". My folks used to say that to me. I am officially old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

meh, I'm familiar with that safe cross code despite being slightly below the age it was for.

Sometimes it can be kind of annoying if young people know all about old stuff. Like if you're all "I suppose you lads never heard of MacGyver..." and they're "oh great show, I have it on dvd, which season is your favourite?".

Hate to break it to you but,those young lads were probably talking about the macgyver remake....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Waking up to mammy's face in the mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    The sad thing is i do remember it.

I'm too young to remember it but I'm told it was the equivalent of a chest X-RAY.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I love XKCD and when this came out I got it printed onto a T Shirt to annoy my older friends

movie_ages.png

The problem is, that was 8 years ago...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Akrasia wrote:
    I love XKCD and when this came out I got it printed onto a T Shirt to annoy my older friends

Akrasia wrote:
    The problem is, that was 8 years ago...

Not being able to read attachments especially when tapping on them to enlarge fails to work is another sign of ageing.

Advertisement