Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's Jewish community

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I think Ross on Friends was Jewish and Jerry Seinfeld...dunno anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Jew wouldn't believe how many of them I know!

I don't know any Jews, so I guess that makes me an anti-Semite now!:D

what are they like leprechauns or something now, I don't see any , do you know any protestants, Sheiks, Hindi's, Buddhists, Muslims etc.

Are they a pleasure to know so much more than others? I don't get the thread but it's given me a laugh though.

weird topic..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

The only one I know isn't really a Jew, he's Jewish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

I think Ross on Friends was Jewish and Jerry Seinfeld...dunno anyone else.

Crock Rock wrote: »
    Do you know any Jewish people?

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭JustAThought

A few - and I wouldn't have ever known that I knew them except that I was invited to an event and they all tyrned up and it turned out I was the only catholic there amongst us! They all joined in with hilarity and chimed the answers to the questions I was answering about synagogues & the like!Lovely people & total livewires. The women are stunning.

So are the majority of Irish Jews of German or Central European descent who were escaping Hitler's persecution?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭MarkY91

A few - and I wouldn't have ever known that I knew them except that I was invited to an event and they all tyrned up and it turned out I was the only catholic there amongst us! They all joined in with hilarity and chimed the answers to the questions I was answering about synagogues & the like!Lovely people & total livewires. The women are stunning.

Spent a week in Israel back in April.

Israeli women are the most attractive women on earth. There's no doubt in my mind. Gal Gadot is just an average looking Israeli over there.

No, and neither do you.

Did you read the OP?
    I said I do. If I saw my college lecturer (we live nearby) we'd stop and chat.

Do you have a problem or somethihng?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Autecher wrote: »
    Jew wouldn't believe how many of them I know!

I did Nazi that joke coming at all.

• Advertisement

So are the majority of Irish Jews of German or Central European descent who were escaping Hitler's persecution?

what are you doing a survey? I think we get your agenda there mate OISH!!! the rent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭ Amani Low Graphology

A lecturer I had, but he was Polish.

I have an American friend who is and used to have a British friend, she went SUPER Jewish and moved to a kibbutz though, haven't heard from her in years.

We didn't really cover ourselves in glory after the war in terms of our attitudes to former Nazis living here, you'd be surprised once you start reading into it how much stuff there is that'd maybe make a Jewish person cross here off the list of places to go. The widespread attitude to Palestine probably doesn't help either.

There is or was a small established Jewish community in Harold's cross in Dublin and a bit in Cork too but afaik not much beyond that.

You can understand the craythurs figuring it's probably better to go somewhere with a bigger Jewish community and stick together given everything that's happened over the last, well, several centuries. People tend to think of the Holocaust as an eruption but it was just an escalation of what had been steadily getting worse for the previous 50 years or so in that part of the world which was just a rerun of what had happened in other parts of the world.

**** Israel though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

My next door neighbours in Dublin are Jewish.

It's a very tight knit community because their numbers have dwindled over the decades.

Many of their relations would live in Israel. I think the older generations prefer to see out their final years in the Holy Land.

They always made an effort to celebrate Catholic traditions like Christmas, because it's roughly the same time as Hannukah.

Easter also falls at the same time as Passover.

There is an unfair perception that they are always mean-spirited and greedy. My neighbours could not be more generous!

It's probably true that most Jews in Ireland have professional jobs like bankers or doctors. At one point, three Jewish TDs (Briscoe, Taylor and Shatter) sat in the Dail. That's a great achievement for a community that makes up a tiny 0.1% of the population.

The Irish Jews are a mixture of Orthodox and Progressive branches. The Orthodox would be stricter, but nowhere as severe as their Israeli equivalent. The Progressives would be more secular.

These days in Ireland, I'd expect their major issues would be the dwindling population (and marriage opportunities) plus being held responsible for the Palestinian conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I'd say its the same issues as everyone else - getting a job, making sure the mortgage is oaid, trying to find somewherw nice to rent or afford to buy,long commutes; entertaining nights out, finding someone to live or fall in love with, getting ahead. Just everyday, everyone issues - ordinary lovely people enjoying their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yeah I know six or seven alright. Nice people, same as the rest of us.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Used to be a synagogue in Cork and a nearby area is still known as 'Jewtown' aka Hibernian Buildings.
    Cork also had a Jewish Lord Mayor - Gerald Goldberghttps://www.rte.ie/archives/2013/0722/463890-a-jew-an-irish-man-and-a-cork-man.

Cork had a thriving Jewish community (mainly from Lithuania originally) but sadly there are only a few Jewish people lift as most emigrated. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/history-of-cork-s-jewish-community-to-be-commemorated-1.3082600.

The city does remember and celebrate them http://simonlewis.ie/jewtown/

And yes, I do know many Jewish people but none of them are Irish. They are either French, American, British, or Israeli.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Don't think I've ever interacted with a Jew here in Ireland.

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Don't think I've ever interacted with a Jew here in Ireland.

You might have and you never knew it.
    I never knew the doctor was Jewish until I found out myself somehow (I won't elaborate here how).

My lecturer supervised my thesis and he told me that his grandfather came here from Nazi Germany. He has what you'd call a "stereotypically-Jewish" first an surname. I won't post it here for obvious reasons. So it was plainly obvious about his origins before he even told me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Karl Marx.

You might have and you never knew it.
    I never knew the doctor was Jewish until I found out myself somehow (I won't elaborate here how).

Something related to a penis with no foreskin perhaps?

• Advertisement

Karl Marx.

He Dead

Your agenda is becoming clear. 3/10.

What agenda is that now?

Go on, be a man and come out and say it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I did Nazi that joke coming at all.
    I read that while drinking my favourite drink, Gin and Jewce.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Vanessa Feltz.

You're a wind-up merchant. Nothing more.

Am I? I'm starting a thread to discuss Ireland's Jewish community.

Please tell me specifically which part of my quoted post made you think that.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

No.They usually are descendants of people who came over fleeing earlier pogroms and general anti-semitism in Eastern Europe, especially Tsarist Russia.

Worth noting that Israeli leader Chaim Herzog was born and raised in Ireland. His father was the chief rabbi of ireland, a Gaelgoir and supporter of ours during the war of independence.

Our Jewish population has been in decline for decades. It's probably now too small to be self sustaining, as many who want to marry in the community need to go over to the UK. Others have simply integrated and married into the Irish mainstream to the extent that you wouldn't know their Jewish background unless they told you. One family I know are like this. You'll meet a disproportionate amount in the law, though still not many.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭donaghs

Most fled the pograms in the Russian Empire in the late 19th century. Especially from the Baltic area.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Not a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭ Miguel Salmon Rump

Alan Shatter is Jewish no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

He is

Advertisement