Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BushCraft Ireland

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Shame i couldn't attend, Crone is a bit far for me outside the summer. Making a club sounds a real good idea, to get something regular going.

IPNA wrote: »
    Sorry I missed it. It sounded like fun. It is a bit of a drive to come from South Kerry for an overnight.
    This weekend the wife and I looked at Kilarney National Park for overnight options. There are some areas that are off the beaten path. I don't know if the park rangers would like a bunch of people practicing survival skills, but if the group was small enough.......

Killarney would also be a bit easier for me to get out to.
    Officially camping isn't really allowed but I doubt they would mind if it’s only a small group.
    I certainly didn't have any trouble when I camped there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Gu3rr1lla

Hi, I would defenetely be up for this. I wont have free time until I finish college for the summer but after that I would love to take part, and I have a friend too that would be interested. We sometimes bushcraft in a Coillte forest near Navan while playing Airsoft. Though it doesn't have an adundance of food there. I may not be educated on Bushcraft but I am educated to learn.

Keep us posted on the next meetup!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Crapbag

Hi Guys,

Sorry i havent updated you if you were watching the thread. Myself and cruelsetanta have been plugging away at getting things organised for this weekend. Unfortunately we hit one or two administrative snags that has delayed the trip. We are working on the solution and hope to get the thing back on track soon. I will update you all again when we have more information and dates of interest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

I'd be very interested in this if it was going on anywhere around the Galway/Mayo area. Sounds like an amazing idea.

It has gotten me thinking about setting up a bushcraft club in college next semester.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Hi Trailblazer,

I’m not out to be unsupportive to any school teaching the ways of “Bushcraft” it’s just frank was very deceiving in his post, it just didn’t sit right with me. If he had set up his own tread an told all (and there is a lot if interest in this ) about his school then I would have been very supportive and probably book just to see what was on offer over here as were all aware that there not many teaching this skill.

I’m quite like your self and others, I’ve been on a couple of courses in UK in mid nineties, and I totally agree with what Deep Forest said (don’t full understand why he was banned). I’m not a begrudger !!!!
    It’s just my opinion on this particular person and how he acted. I just think he should of been straight with us in this forum.

Much respect back to you and hope to meet up and share the knowledge.:)

CruelSetanta

I think we should lay off Frank5446

1. That user cant post to defend themselves and we cant be certain it is Frank.

2. Sending crapbag a PM is not the same as posting on the forum.

3. We dont know what that persons situation is. As far as I am concerned that person has achieved what this thread has failed to achieve.

Excluding any part of the bushcraft market would biased and unfair.

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

Sorry for not updating for a bit but ive been busy with exams. Good news, our club has been approved by the MCI for associate membership, meaning we will be able to run club meet ups really soon. The condition is that our members are also members of the Mountaineering Council of Ireland. So if you wish to be a member of the club you will more than likely have to be a member of the MCI, however i will be discussing a work around with the MCI if they are open to it. This is a good step forward in my opinion and I will update you soon with our first proper club meeting. This has taken a while to get moving and im hoping that we have jumped most of the hoops so watch this space

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Crapbag wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Sorry for not updating for a bit but ive been busy with exams. Good news, our club has been approved by the MCI for associate membership, meaning we will be able to run club meet ups really soon. The condition is that our members are also members of the Mountaineering Council of Ireland. So if you wish to be a member of the club you will more than likely have to be a member of the MCI, however i will be discussing a work around with the MCI if they are open to it. This is a good step forward in my opinion and I will update you soon with our first proper club meeting. This has taken a while to get moving and im hoping that we have jumped most of the hoops so watch this space

Thats excellent news, cant wait to hear more and go on the first offical meet:)

Hi guys,

Congratulations Crapbag, That's very good news. It's also sound business for the MCI. I have edited my above post, but I have to ask does that make MCI persons members of the club or is it a club with membership starting on this forum.

pirelli wrote: »
    Congratulations Crapbag, That's very good news. It's also sound business for the MCI. I have edited my above post, but I have to ask does that make MCI persons members of the club or is it a club with membership starting on this forum.

Thanks. Im not entirely sure what you are asking there. MCI members do not automatically become club members. Someone who wants to join the club must be a member of the MCI. The reason I wanted to do it through the MCI is mainly for insurance reasons. However if we as a club are associated with the MCI, it also means that when we deal with land usage or legislative issues, we have a recognised name to be assoicated with. The club must adhere to some of the policies of the MCI but from my understanding, alot of the ideals are at the heart of Bushcraft anyway, such as environmental issues and conservation.

I think that being associated with the MCI is a highly positive thing and it looks to be the first formal club set up in the country. If you are interested in joining, it would cost you the registration fee of the MCI which is about 30 euros. I would hold off registering until we have a date set for our first meeting which im hoping to organise early next month. I just need to Iron out some things with the MCI and Coillte.

Just a word of warning to those interested. We will not be involved in Bear Grylls style survival. Bushcraft is a very different concept and is related more so to primative living and subsistance living off the land. I also am interested in emergency survival techniques but this is not the purpose of the club. If you are interested in this area, there are courses available and those willing to teach them.

Just a word of warning to those interested. We will not be involved in Bear Grylls style survival. Bushcraft is a very different concept and is related more so to primative living and subsistance living off the land. I also am interested in emergency survival techniques but this is not the purpose of the club. If you are interested in this area, there are courses available and those willing to teach them.

No warning required.

SAS survival and bushcraft and the outdoors have much in common but Bushcraft as a recreational hobby and as a particular club would be quite a different experience in my opinion and from my perspective. I dont think many would imagine that bushcraft involves running down steep mountain ravines and following rivers to local civilisations.

(Just checking out MCI, I havent seen bushcraft on their clubs site just yet.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Chris Peak

Hi,

I am interested in bushcraft skills and some of us here in Kerry are putting together a skills group that meets once in awhile to practice. We are going tracking rabbits this morning.

I have just moved here from Canada and don't know if there are wild places here in Ireland where a small group could go for an overnight survival trip.

Over the past ten years, I have attended survival courses offered by Tom Brown jr, and Jon Young in the US. I wonder how hard it would be to apply these skills to Ireland?

Great to find someone else who knows 'Young Jonny Young'!

My Dad has been a friend of his since the mid 80's in NJ.

Do you also know John Galagher who works with him?
    I went camping with him and showed him the Irish flora and fauna when he was here for a year in the mid 1990's. Also, taught him a few tracking skills aswell.

Would love to get back into the whole 'back country' stuff.

#Side note# Probably the best book on the subject is "SAS Survival Handbook" by John 'Lofty' Wiseman.

I also did one of their weekends in Wales a few years ago. We mostly just walked for miles and miles....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭IPNA

Hi Chris,
    Yes, I do know John Gallagher quite well. I have heard about his stay in Ireland a few years back. He said that he hung out with Liam O'Maonlie and some other musicians. What a year that would be! He is now an acupuncturist in Washington state.

Did your dad know Jon Young in NJ? Jon has been talking about coming to Ireland for awhile now. It may not be this summer, but hopefully soon.

Great to hear from you. Thanks for the info on the Wiseman book.

Aebhric
    www.ipna.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Chris Peak

I hear Jon Young is in California these days. Dad knew him very well. Often went on day trips with him and the kids. Jon even tried teaching him the banjo, which has gone down in folklore...!

I got back in touch with John Galagher a few months ago. Married with kids...

Next time you're talking with him, say you've 'met' the 'Little Beggarman's son', and see what he says! :)
    Hi Chris,
    Yes, I do know John Gallagher quite well. I have heard about his stay in Ireland a few years back. He said that he hung out with Liam O'Maonlie and some other musicians. What a year that would be! He is now an acupuncturist in Washington state.

Did your dad know Jon Young in NJ? Jon has been talking about coming to Ireland for awhile now. It may not be this summer, but hopefully soon.

Great to hear from you. Thanks for the info on the Wiseman book.

Aebhric
    www.ipna.ie

Hey Guys,

We are finally set to go. The Bushclub club is up and running and we are doing our first weekend this weekend the 14th/15th. I know this may be slightly late notice but Coillte have only confirmed it ok today. We are insured through the MCI and will operating in Krone Valley forest Wicklow with a permit from Coillte. If you are interested in coming please PM me. You may have to be a member of the MCI to come but PM anyway if you are interested as I can try arrange something with the MCI. We will be taking up to 10 people and 3 slots are already filled. So if you are interested, its first come first served basis. It would be nice if you have some bushcraft experience to share but not neccessary.

This could be the first formal Bushcraft club in the country and the first meeting of the club. If you want to get involved in the club but arent available this weekend, dont hesitate to contact me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Survival.ie

If anyone is interested, I used to run a bushcraft course when I lived in the States and I'll happily answer any questions you guys might have.

-Luke

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

bushmeet.
    i am organising a bushmeet in Gort, Co.Galway for 18th-20th of july. area is ideally suited to this kind of thing. have landowners support/permission. the main discussion thread for this is over on bushcraftuk.com (great bushcraft site)
    for those not really arsed to go find it (as linking to the individual page is not working at the moment) here is a copy/paste of the last post there.

ok, all seems good to go for a meet in Gort from the 18th-20th of july. this date was chosen primerily because the next weekend is galway races, and that is a pain in the **** time to be trying to get into galway area.attending will be myself and my friends, many of whome have no bushcrafty experiance at all, so it will be a friendly introduction to hanging out in the woods.
    cost = free, technically. i have not discussed money with Flor or Marian (landowners) and i am naturally not looking for money myself, but bringing gifts (financial or otherwise) for Flor and Marian to help them keep their beautiful woodland and excelent facilities would be appreciated.
    insurance = not a chance. we wont leave you to die if you stab yourself though there will be capable first aiders an site.
    food = bring your own. bring all sorts of stuff. i am sure food will be traded and exchanged. if anyone has anything interesting. cooking will be over a campfire and / or camp stoves.
    equipment = bring what you can. i will bring what ever spare kit i can. tents, foam mats, tarps etc. but the more potentially self sufficiant you can be, the better. if you are short on a bit of kit, PM me and i will see if i can hunt you up something.
    activities = its really up to yourself. play with fire, build natural shelters, do a bit of archery (if you have a bow. leftys can borrow mine), make your spoons, try out peoples kit, paddle on the nearby lake (if you have a canoe) play music. any further things you would like to try, just add say and we will see if its feasable.
    so far, there are about 6 confirmed to be there. i would really like to make it an even dozen at least, so if you can, come along. hope this suits people.

anyone interested, post up here or send a PM or whatever.
    here is a link to my blog. there are pics of the location there.
    http://irishlostboy.blogspot.com/

Hey Guys,

We are finally set to go. The Bushclub club is up and running and we are doing our first weekend this weekend the 14th/15th. I know this may be slightly late notice but Coillte have only confirmed it ok today. We are insured through the MCI and will operating in Krone Valley forest Wicklow with a permit from Coillte. If you are interested in coming please PM me. You may have to be a member of the MCI to come but PM anyway if you are interested as I can try arrange something with the MCI. We will be taking up to 10 people and 3 slots are already filled. So if you are interested, its first come first served basis. It would be nice if you have some bushcraft experience to share but not neccessary.

This could be the first formal Bushcraft club in the country and the first meeting of the club. If you want to get involved in the club but arent available this weekend, dont hesitate to contact me.

Krone Valley Forest, No wonder it took coillte so long to confirm it. They probably couldn't find it on their books or maps.

Krone Valley forest. I would like to go crapbag but I dont know where Krone valley is. Is it near the old øre mine in the scalp.

Got to agree with pirelli, I can't find a Krone Valley anywhere in Wicklow...

-Luke

Actually, I've found "Crone" Valley Forest...

http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/index.php?id=53&rec_site=21&no_cache=1

Here are the directions:
    "From Dublin or Wicklow take the N/M 11 and take the turn off for Enniskerry R117. From Enniskerry take the R760 south and follow the directions for POWERSOURT WATERFALL. Leave the gates of the waterfall on your left and continue on the 3rd class road to Glencree on south side of Glencree Valley. Crone is about 1 km on further on the left."

I'm going to try to be there for about 14:00
    (Sorry for the double post)

-Luke

Well guys we finally kicked it off. The bushcraft club is now up and running. Our first meet up only had two of us plus a visitor but in my mind it was a great success. Personally I learned loads. Myself and irishlostboy set up camp on saturday morning. Got loads of practice in up to the evening. We woke up early on Sunday and did some more foraging, got some lunch and headed home. From my own personal experience, I learned a huge amount and got to dust off the cob-webs of rarely practiced skills. Although we had just the two of us it was a very constructive weekend. 'survival.ie' also dropped in for chat and some information exchange on saturday evening. If you are available to drop up to Gort for Irishlostboys meet, I would do so. We also have another potential trip to Kerry planned for July so keep your eyes on the boards for info. My thanks to Irishlostboy who has joined the club, his skills are excellent and enthusiam for it is similar to my own. We will be organising more meetings soon

• Advertisement

hey all. i opened a new thread for discussing the Bushcraft Club here.
    there are some pictures there, along with some scéal about what we got up to.
    i hope this is ok with people. this thread was getting a little over-large, and i wanted to add pictures, which would have only made things larger.

sooo, go check out the new thread, then join up with the club and come out on our next trip. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rivermom

cavedave wrote: »
    The Free Clothes Association?
    This crowd seem to do things of a related kind http://www.celtnet.org/events-page33387.html
    As do these http://www.dulra.org/bushcraft
    I am trying to get some bog myrtle to grow in my back garden. Once that is sorted it is gruit brewing time.

How did the growing Bog myrtle go? I suppose you have taken into account the word 'Bog' in the name of the plant, so you realise it wont grow in ordinary backyard soil, unless you live in an Acid soil area? If you live in a Neutral or Alkali soil area, you can grow bog plants in pots, using 'Ericaceous' compost; that is a fancy word for bog-soil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Slugger2k8

Hi everyone.

I am from England but now live in Carrick-on-Suir, Co. Tipp, Ireland.

I have no experience in bushcraft although i do have knowledge from studying books etc.

I am REALY interested in bushcraft and am looking to purchase the necessary kit reletivly soon.

Before i do that however, i have a few questions to ask anybody who can answer them :
    1)What exactly is the use of a bivi bag and do i NEED one if sleeping in a sleeping bag, would i need a tarp?
    2)What ways (please be very specific with what you will need) are there for sleeping in woodlands in Ireland?
    3)What references/tips have you got for boots, rucksacks, bivi bags etc?
    4)Fire use. How to burn one, where is safe to burn one, do you need one in the daytime, do you let it burn through out the entire night etc?
    5)What permissions etc. do you need when sleeping, hiking or whatever on privrate/public land.

I hope i find answers to my questions soon and will get a good responce.

Regards,
    Slugger2k8.

Oh and one more thing, water!Do i need to bring litres and litres of it with me or do i find a source when im there? (same about food)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rivermom

Slugger2k8 wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

I have no experience in bushcraft although i do have knowledge from studying books etc.

I am REALY interested in bushcraft and am looking to purchase the necessary kit reletivly soon.

Before i do that however, i have a few questions to ask anybody who can answer them :
    1)What exactly is the use of a bivi bag and do i NEED one if sleeping in a sleeping bag, would i need a tarp?
    2)What ways (please be very specific with what you will need) are there for sleeping in woodlands in Ireland?
    4)Fire use. How to burn one, where is safe to burn one, do you need one in the daytime, do you let it burn through out the entire night etc?
    5)What permissions etc. do you need when sleeping, hiking or whatever on privrate/public land.

I hope i find answers to my questions soon and will get a good responce.

Regards,
    Slugger2k8.

hi slugger,
    welcome to the wierd and wonderful world of messing about in the wild. the best place to get answers to your questions is to pop along to irishlostboy's link. it is further up the page from this.

bivy bags are minature tents, without all the guy ropes and poles. they keep you safe from all the weather, even if you are sleeping in a ditch.

a tarp is more tent, but useful for keeping the weather off you while you do other things besides sleeping; things like preparing food and eating and thinking.

a hammock is so that you can sleep without having a tree root or a rock materialise under your shoulderblade and start getting personal during the night.

for my money, tarp and hammock is the way to go for sleeping in the woods.

fire is quite a complex question. there are places in ireland where you just dont light campfires or the entire countryside goes up in flames, and burns for a few weeks. peaty soil, you know.

tell you what, why not come along to the bushmoot at gort. it is more fun to learn by doing than by reading. and so far, all the people who are going to be there a reasonably friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Peaty soil can reignite months later as well.

Well i dont have any equip and not much money lol im only 16 so i havnt got a job so it might be a bit of time before i get the money.

How important is a machette in bushcraft? And what would you guys take, knife/mashette/axe, i know you would defo need a knife but what about the other two, would you take them?

Also, what is peaty soil?

I have already seen and studied irishlostboy's blog, very good.

a bivy bag is a waterproof membrane that covers your sleeping bag. they come in different priceranges, and levels of durability. how vital they are depends on the terrain, weather and other equipment/camp techniques you use.
    in winter i only use a bivy bag up the mountains. no tarp. so i can move fast and dont have to worry bout wind. if you are hamocking in summer, have a big tarp and have driplines set up in your hammock (lines to stop water running down the rop into the hammock fabric. a load of laces will do.) you dont vitally need one. but they are cheap. for lightweight i choose this
    http://www.alpkit.com/hunka/
    for winter i use a french army bivy bag as it is stupidly tough. the dutch, british and american ones are also great. and easy to find on the net.
    as many as you can think of.
    you can use a tent. i dont like them. its bringing indoors to the outdoors i think. might as well stay at home. but some like them.
    hammock/tarp combo. most comfortable. a bit more heavy on long trips but great if you are stayin on one area more than just while you sleep.
    you can use a sleepingbag/bivybag combo on their own. you will be invisible if done right. i have slept in peoples hedges like this and not been spoted.
    you can buy a blue tarpaulin and some string from B&Q or your hardware store and just set up a camp with that. its ugly, but it works. and costs under a tenner.
    you can wait for a reasonably warm dry period and just go out and lie down next to a tree. throw some branches over you if need be.
    you can build a natural shelter. warning here though. you need to first know the landowner. second, not damage the world around you making it, third had a patch of woodland that is not full of people, and finally dismantle it when you are done and clean up.
    this is very kit specific, and will vary from person to person.
    boots. waterproof, comfortable, supporting. anything that fits this bill is good.
    packs. comfortable, sturdy, and can carry all the stuff you want to bring.
    bivi bags. waterproof.
    i could talk all day on specific brand this and that. my kit is good for me. that means nothing to the next guy.

fire in ireland is a luxury. we dont need it while camping. until you know what you are doing, leave them alone. tips for fires. clean your area of where you are burning of all combustable material. find out what soil you have. a big rock sheet is best. peaty soil burns. avoid.make your fire only large enough. about a foot cercumfirance. ring it with stones. dont try burn big logs. burn pieces the size of your two thumbs. keep it low. dont burn rubbish in it. the most important use of fire to irish bushcraft is getting rid of the bugs. you only need the smallest fire for that. apart from that, if a billycan fits on it, its good enough. do not leave your fire burning. let it burn down and out before you sleep. when you are leaving remove the fire. dont just cover it. take all the ash out. ensure it is cold.best place to put the ash is the latrine. then totally mask the place you had the fire.
    i wont even go there. let someone more knowledgable on the legalities take this. i just do what i do away from the type of people who this would be a concern to, and i dont do anything to attract any negative press from them.
    How important is a machette in bushcraft? And what would you guys take, knife/mashette/axe, i know you would defo need a knife but what about the other two, would you take them?

only thing you really need is a small opinel knife. a number 8 will be fine. you will get these in most outdoor shops and also any better tobaconists. leave the big blades for when you know what to do with them. when a big blade goes wrong, people lose limbs.
    I have already seen and studied irishlostboy's blog, very good.
    i am glad you like my blog, although it is not intended to be tutorial material. here are some good links to tutorial material.
    http://www.ravenlore.co.uk/index.html
    http://www.jonsbushcraft.com/index.htm
    http://www.bushcraftuk.com/index.php/Forums.html
    http://wildwoodsurvival.com/index.html

these should keep you busy.

Hi guys,

Ive been away for a few weeks but back now. We just had a very successful weekend in Gort with visits from Anthonio Akkermans and Aebhric O'Kelly on Saturday. Irishlostboy (Tim) will be putting an update on the club thread with details of the weekend and some pictures. We also have made progress with our website and have some more great contacts both through the boards and other means. The club is off to a flying start with lots done and lots more to do. We are off again next weekend with an invite from Aebhric to Cahersiveen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭preacherman

Hi Crapbag,

Just a quick note to say well done to yourself and irishlostboy ( now we know where he got his username !!!) on organising the weekend. A good time was had by all and it has given me more of an incentive to get out there again and do it. I will get the bowdrill to work eventually or I wont be able to show my face again!!! Thanks loz for the tips.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement