Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Confused here, as I got emails from services like Spotify and Netflix to explain that I will see a price reduction due to VAT reduction.

What makes them different? Maybe they care.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭tjhook

JDxtra wrote: »
    Confused here, as I got emails from services like Spotify and Netflix to explain that I will see a price reduction due to VAT reduction.

What makes them different? Maybe they care.

Yeah, I'd say those other providers aren't obliged to pass on the savings, but see the benefit of doing so. VM probably doesn't care too much. There's very little competition in this country for those faster Internet speeds.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Rang loyalty this morning and was on hold for 30mins. Current package is 360 and Phone for 67.50 a month. Firstly got offered a pitiful 5 Euro off per month for 6 months. Refused and put on hold after which was offered 10 euro off for 6 months. Pathetic offers.
    I will give it one more try and hopefully a better deal will be got from a more helpful operator.
    Really all depends who you get when doing this rubbish haggling every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Rang loyalty this morning and was on hold for 30mins. Current package is 360 and Phone for 67.50 a month. Firstly got offered a pitiful 5 Euro off per month for 6 months. Refused and put on hold after which was offered 10 euro off for 6 months. Pathetic offers.
    I will give it one more try and hopefully a better deal will be got from a more helpful operator.
    Really all depends who you get when doing this rubbish haggling every year.

Select cancellations instead and tell them you want to cancel. When they ask for a reason, tell them you got a really good offer from Eir or Vodafone or whatever. They''ll ask you how much the price is, speed you'd be getting, etc..Then they'll tell you they also have some good offers and would you be interested in listening to em. If you like an offer take it, if not tell them you want 6 months half price or whatever and they'll usually say yes.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Am on a 30 day rolling contract with Virgin for BB, TV and home phone at the moment and they won't let us convert to a contract with a special price as we are not a new customer.

Loyalty line said the same, has anyone managed to do this as when we said we wanted to switch to eir ( we made that up) it made no difference?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

jamescd wrote: »
    Select cancellations instead and tell them you want to cancel. When they ask for a reason, tell them you got a really good offer from Eir or Vodafone or whatever. They''ll ask you how much the price is, speed you'd be getting, etc..Then they'll tell you they also have some good offers and would you be interested in listening to em. If you like an offer take it, if not tell them you want 6 months half price or whatever and they'll usually say yes.

Did more or less what you said and because my contract is not up until October 15th they wouldn’t even quote me any offers. She said ring again when there is 30 days left and they will see what they could do.
    On the other call I was being offered deals albeit crap ones.
    40 mins on hold and not offered anything at the end of it is frustrating.
    Will probably try again next week. Still time to actually cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Cookiee

Called 2 weeks ago to cancel and managed to get 9 months for 29.50€ and the remainder 3 months at 59€ for 250mb broadband, really happy! Wasn't hard to get, at first he offered something bad like 48€ for 6 months or something, I told him sky and eir have better deals, and then he went down to 29.50 for 6 months and I told him make that for 9 months and we have a deal, and he agreed!
    Got sent the confirmation of the new contract a few days ago and it matches what we argeed to on the call. Without this thread I wouldn't even know it was possible to get 9 months half price, but keep pushing for a better deal and they will give it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Cookiee wrote: »
    Called 2 weeks ago to cancel and managed to get 9 months for 29.50€ and the remainder 3 months at 59€ for 250mb broadband, really happy! Wasn't hard to get, at first he offered something bad like 48€ for 6 months or something, I told him sky and eir have better deals, and then he went down to 29.50 for 6 months and I told him make that for 9 months and we have a deal, and he agreed!
    Got sent the confirmation of the new contract a few days ago and it matches what we argeed to on the call. Without this thread I wouldn't even know it was possible to get 9 months half price, but keep pushing for a better deal and they will give it
    was this your firs time getting 9mo offer ?
    as did cancel last year and only way got 9mo offered.
    But as other poster said its really down who you get on the phone their quota for giving such offers etc.

as usual is smth ridicilous like 15e off for couple months, then if pushing you get like 6mo half price.

when you think about advertising competition setup costs for call outs etc, its a bit stupid VM dont cope on theres people since upc and before using them, that litterally cost em fck all after decades.

Cookiee wrote: »
    But as other poster said its really down who you get on the phone their quota for giving such offers etc.

as usual is smth ridicilous like 15e off for couple months, then if pushing you get like 6mo half price.

when you think about advertising competition setup costs for call outs etc, its a bit stupid VM dont cop on theres people since upc and before using them, that literally cost em fck all after decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Cookiee

scamalert wrote: »

when you think about advertising competition setup costs for call outs etc, its a bit stupid VM dont cop on theres people since upc and before using them, that literally cost em fck all after decades.

Yeah was my first time getting the 9 months offer, before I just cancelled because I didn't know you could get deals like this when you called them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

They used to do this to everyone if you haggled enough .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭CoBo55

beauf wrote: »
    They used to do this to everyone if you haggled enough .

I never got it. Wasn’t for the lack of trying either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I never got it. Wasn’t for the lack of trying either.

How often did you cancel and go through with it.

Third call this morning to cancel line. Was on hold for 25 mins. Told the lady I wanted to cancel my 350 broadband and phone for 67.50 a month.Asked me why and told her SIRO was in the area, which it isn’t by the way.
    Lady asked would I be interested in hearing any offers. Yep I said and she offered me 6 months half price. I then asked for 9 months Half Price and she put me on hold for a few minutes.
    Came back and said yes to 9 months half price. First time ever I got the 9 months half price deal.
    Persistence pays but also a little luck especially when it comes to who you get on the call.
    Hats off to the lovely Limerick lady who made my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sonandheir

I tried a few times to get the 9 months half price(have gotten just last year). They wouldn't budge to give another 9 months.

I settled for 6 months half price as it is still a very good broadband speed and I can't be bothered with the hassle of having to actually switch to a new provider.

Thanks to this thread for highlighting this as I have been ringing Virgin(and other providers) for the past few years and always get some deal.

sonandheir wrote: »
    I tried a few times to get the 9 months half price(have gotten just last year). They wouldn't budge to give another 9 months.

I settled for 6 months half price as it is still a very good broadband speed and I can't be bothered with the hassle of having to actually switch to a new provider.

Thanks to this thread for highlighting this as I have been ringing Virgin(and other providers) for the past few years and always get some deal.
    im facing same dilemma, as my 9mo was given last year, only after actually giving cancellation notice and getting call back 2 weeks later. So doubt i will get another 9mo off offer on BB.

as doing costs- staying and getting 6mo half price at best works out at 624e for a year.

switching to VF on same plan it would be 300e or 400 for gig connection give or take install cost, so a massive difference.

even thou not perfect as think siro is usually setup close to ground floor main entrance, thus in theory any savings could be used to buy proper wifi mesh setup and few NICs to be up more to date- vs 5min bother on the phone to haggle the price and stay with them avoiding any hassle with changes.

as have another month and will need to decide on giving notice for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Just got off the phone with VM and got what I wanted in 1 call, under 15min: upgraded to 500Mb package + home phone for €37.50/month for 9 months (50% off) then full price. I was on 360+home phone for €67.50/month
    Vodafone fiber would've been a bit cheaper (€30/m for 12 months) but I feel VM has won some goodwill for handling a technical issue during lockdown very very well (called for a problem with router in the afternoon, got a new router the morning after and a follow up call to check everything was ok).
    I hear VF has patchy customer service and long installation times. Given that I work from home (full time now but at least part time going forward) i went with the more reliable solution IMO. In 12 months time we'll reassess

Called the loyalty number directly, had to wait about 10min to get someone, spoke to a very kind lady with eastern european accent. Told her about the vodafone offer, told her I've been with VM for over 12yrs, want to be rewarded - not penalized - for loyalty. She said: since you know how things work let's skip through the 1st 2 offers i see here and go directly to the best offer i have for you... 9 months at 50%.
    that was that, no nonsense approach. happy days

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Has anyone successfully moved from their 30 day rolling BB and TV to a new customer promo deal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭SEORG

Called the Limerick number today 061-272190, was on hold for about 15 minutes

Renewed my 360mb & phone for 9 months half price.

My last deal was 6 months half price which finished in August 2019.

Was offered 500mb 9 months half price & no phone also.

SEORG wrote: »
    Called the Limerick number today 061-272190, was on hold for about 15 minutes

Renewed my 360mb & phone for 9 months half price.

My last deal was 6 months half price which finished in August 2019.

Was offered 500mb 9 months half price & no phone also.

How much was the 500 no phone? I'd be really interested in getting that deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭SEORG

CoBo55 wrote: »
    How much was the 500 no phone? I'd be really interested in getting that deal.

€34.50 for 9 months & €69

SEORG wrote: »
    €34.50 for 9 months & €69

That's very good, I'm paying €67.50 for 360 and phone that I never used.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Milky1

I'm coming up for renewal and will haggle to get my 9 months half price again. But anyone notice that it used to 50% for 9 months a couple of years ago, then full price 59, then it was 64, now it's 69! They are still getting their increases through!

Milky1 wrote: »
    I'm coming up for renewal and will haggle to get my 9 months half price again. But anyone notice that it used to 50% for 9 months a couple of years ago, then full price 59, then it was 64, now it's 69! They are still getting their increases through!

Speeds have been increased too, but, as you say it's creeping up by stealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,363 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I tried pushing them for a deal but got nowhere. I'm currently on €94 a month for 250 MB broadband, basic TV and home phone (not used), with one extra room box. They offered €81, but Sky are currently doing €55 for similar package with 75 MB broadband.

Would I notice much difference with the 75 MB, given that everything I use is connecting by wireless, so I'm only getting 20-50 MB connections anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pablo57

Hard to know. I switched from Virgin to Vodafone earlier in the year and will likely switch back when contract is up. Vodafone website said max of 100MB was available at my address but on testing I was getting 56 or so, wired. They then said max was 60MB to my house, so 56MB was good. Biggest difference I've noticed is with hardware. Vodafone router is dreadful - lots of deadspots in the house, which was never an issue with Virgin, so if you are thinking of switching you might want to consider what your uses are (ie streaming/gaming) and whether you're prepared to pay for new router or extenders etc if necessary. Maybe some Sky customers can speak to the hardware side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

How's Vodafone for TV? I can get Siro here and have been thinking about making the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pablo57

I like Vodafone's TV, no issues with it. Series record works - what more could you want? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

What is the best they are offering to new customers ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Shimmy!

After being on hold for 45 minutes, finally got through to a cancellation team member. Asked what deals she could give me as I am a long standing customer and the prices keep going up. Was paying €59 per month for 250mb internet. She said best they could do was €49 for six months and then €59 thereafter. Asked if we threw in TV bundle would they give us a better deal. Offered me 250MB broadband and basic TV for €82 per month as the "best she could do". Told her there were better offers on the website for new customers, said she wasn't allowed to offer these to me.

Cancelled after a pointless conversation! Bye Felicia

Advertisement