Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Millem wrote: »
    Ok I just went onto switcher.ie and ordered the €59 deal for 12 months. I clicked on the box that I am a current virgin customer, gave bank details etc. Will see now if order goes through!

Order didn’t go through. They rang and said I was an existing customer but I could get my husband to sign up!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Does anyone know if there are any providers who piggyback on the virgin networks?
    I’m in suburban Dublin and all my eir line can offer me is a poxy 4mb. That’s despite the rest of my estate having fibre.
    So I’m stuck with virgin, but was wondering if like the eir line where I can ask sky etc to provide a service, does anyone do similar with the virgin line?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Seve OB wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there are any providers who piggyback on the virgin networks?
    I’m in suburban Dublin and all my eir line can offer me is a poxy 4mb. That’s despite the rest of my estate having fibre.
    So I’m stuck with virgin, but was wondering if like the eir line where I can ask sky etc to provide a service, does anyone do similar with the virgin line?

No. Virgin own the network entirely they're the only carrier.

30 mins on hold no trying to get through to cancellations, is this normal?

Seve OB wrote: »
    30 mins on hold no trying to get through to cancellations, is this normal?

Probably. I ring loyalty direct and cancel with them.
    061 272 190

• Advertisement

Probably. I ring loyalty direct and cancel with them.
    061 272 190

thanks, i'll try that number tomorrow

Since virgin lost eir sports we decided we didn’t want the tv. Rang Vodafone but they said installation would take at least 10 days!! Rang virgin loyalty again and asked for the new customer broadband deal....6 months €35 6 months €59.
    They gave me 9 months at €44 and 3 months €59. It works out the same so I was happy enough.
    Apparently they charge €30 activation fee for new customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pablo57

Don't think they usually charge activation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

ive 2 more payments left on full BB contract with VM and will be shopping come October, had 9mo deal was first in years but doubt ill be offered the same.

anyone know does VF require to know your phone number etc, as looking on their site they offer either 30e for 12mo or 40 for fiber- id imagine fiber doesnt need phone line ? as never used it and have no need for it, as would like to get their gigabit for a year then either stay or switch when time comes. I know their setup can be quite glitchy as someone had it few years back and took about a month until right engineers came over to connect it, but since then person had no issues and speeds would be massive even on likes of wifi in comparison with VM's hub.

as VM even at half cost works out to be 570 a year, where on same plan VF would cost only 360 or so, that's massive difference even if counting going for setup costs and gigabit speeds still would work out way cheaper.

pablo57 wrote: »
    Don't think they usually charge activation.

It’s a new charge apparently.
    I queried it and said I never had to pay it before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

It’s a new charge apparently.
    I queried it and said I never had to pay it before.

There's a shock, just another way for Virgin to make some more money.
    ive 2 more payments left on full BB contract with VM and will be shopping come October, had 9mo deal was first in years but doubt ill be offered the same.

Out of contract, you have the ability to move to anybody and new price from Virgin should reflect that.
    If people start moving away, Virgin will have to step up their game and improve their offers.

I moved after 20+ years and now saving over €90 a month between Virgin BB and Sky TV for near enough same TV and better BB.
    Didn't bother giving them the chance to offer me a half price offer or anything like that as I was saving so much and couldn't be bothered listening to the usual waffle off them.
    anyone know does VF require to know your phone number
    No as you can get BB without the phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

okidoki987 wrote: »

Out of contract, you have the ability to move to anybody and new price from Virgin should reflect that.
    If people start moving away, Virgin will have to step up their game and improve their offers.
    I completely agree but unlike phone service many of us are very limited in options. I'm just praying for SIRO to arrive as I would drop to what would hopefully be about 90mbps from 250 with another provider.

thx for reply, and yes think dropping them cold last year what got me onto 9mo half price as siro was up then, so repeat will be same this year, id say they dont care much for general public but as price goes for service they have taken themselves out years ago where it was best option, sadly for some its still the only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭garo

Coming up to renewal, dropped the Virgin Mix TV - going back to Sky - and signed up for 52.5 for 9 months and 67.50 for 3 for the 500Mbps broadband plus Phone talk anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Hi I'm looking for the cheapest deal with virgin, I can't get eir where I am. Is there any point in haggling on the phone with them? It's very expensive but I need it for work and it's the only thing I need for work, we just hot-spot our phones for everything

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Hi I'm looking for the cheapest deal with virgin, I can't get eir where I am. Is there any point in haggling on the phone with them? It's very expensive but I need it for work and it's the only thing I need for work, we just hot-spot our phones for everything

Plenty of new customer deals normally, but don’t think there’s is anything as cheap as €30 a month like there is with Eir and Vodafone

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Plenty of new customer deals normally, but don’t think there’s is anything as cheap as €30 a month like there is with Eir and Vodafone

Yes unfortunately they won't install a phone line, is it worth a shot ringing and going 'oh eir is doing €30 a month' spiel and see what they say?

Is there a land-line number for virgin sales?

Is there a land-line number for virgin sales?
    just use free one 1908 on mobile, if remember correctly, then press whatever button to get to BB and ask for transfer to sales support etc.

scamalert wrote: »
    just use free one 1908 on mobile, if remember correctly, then press whatever button to get to BB and ask for transfer to sales support etc.

Thanks, I thought that was for existing customers only though. Gonna ask for a deal

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Anyone been talking to Virgin Media regarding the VAT reduction? Just got my bill for September and it doesn't look like they are passing any VAT reduction on, billing amount remains the same. Other operators are passing the reduction on. As far as I can tell, failure to reduce the price is akin to a price increase and raises the possibility of users no longer being in contract. Can't find anything definitive on it at the moment though.
    You must pay all the Charges for which we bill you, together with any Value Added Tax and any other taxes (at applicable rates from time to time) which apply in relation to any Charges payable under this Agreement. We will bill you one billing period in advance for the Services. You must pay your bill by the date specified in your bill. You will be liable for the Charges from the day on which we first make the Services available to you unless we notify you otherwise. You agree that you are liable for any Charges incurred on your account irrespective of whether those Charges were incurred by you or anybody else with or without your consent. Unless stated otherwise, all prices quoted by us and listed in our Price List are inclusive of VAT and all Charges that appear on your bill are inclusive of VAT. We may vary our Charges from time to time upon notice in accordance with this Agreement. A copy of our current Price List is available at https://www.virginmedia.ie/pricelist or by contacting 1908.

Virgin Media Terms and Conditions

If the charge remains the same and VAT has reduced, then surely they have increased the price of their contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭tjhook

If the charge remains the same and VAT has reduced, then surely they have increased the price of their contract?

Interesting question. If the VAT rate had gone up instead of going down, would they be in breach if they passed on the VAT increase? I.e. could we say "well €X is what we agreed, regardless of tax rate changes"?

I'm not sure whether the agreement is the headline "€X" as originally agreed, or the pre-VAT price. I'd guess the former, but I'm not sure.

I had a (very slightly) similar situation some years ago when I had a hotel booked, and the VAT rate came down between the booking being made and the holiday being taken. The agreement was the total, and I didn't get the VAT reduction.

Edit: Just to add, the "price list" referenced above that forms part of the T&Cs details the final (i.e. VAT inclusive) price, so I'd say that's what constitutes the agreement. On the flip side, I'd say it leaves them exposed if additional taxes or levies were ever to be levied.

issue with VAT that stimulus for it was released in short notice, thus this gives any service goods supplier levy for couple months at least to make necessary changes to be applied. So in short depending is it 2-3 months many would still be tied to original contract, as any adjustment most likely will follow closer to end of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Whats it like out there at the moment folks with Virgin Deals only got 6 months have 4 tvs and Broadband 500mb Home Phone, Paying €135 Now so its hurting,

Thinking of getting rid of 2 of the boxes and getting in Saorview and Freesat, to bring the bill down when i pounce with them next week intersted to hear your views Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

torrevieja wrote: »
    Whats it like out there at the moment folks with Virgin Deals only got 6 months have 4 tvs and Broadband 500mb Home Phone, Paying €135 Now so its hurting,

Thinking of getting rid of 2 of the boxes and getting in Saorview and Freesat, to bring the bill down when i pounce with them next week intersted to hear your views Cheers,

Who else can supply you with TV/Broadband?

I recently got rid of Virgin & Sky due to their prices and got in Vodafone 500mb BB, Landline, TV with all sports and 2 extra boxes (record like Sky Q) for €115 a month about €30 cheaper and faster Broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭JDxtra

torrevieja wrote: »

I would suggest looking into dropping the broadband package to the 250Mb pack (most people don't really need 500 or more). Maybe also use the TV anywhere app instead of having so many extra boxes?

Off topic but j just got my broadband in and working fine, what are my virgin media login details?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

scamalert wrote: »
    issue with VAT that stimulus for it was released in short notice, thus this gives any service goods supplier levy for couple months at least to make necessary changes to be applied. So in short depending is it 2-3 months many would still be tied to original contract, as any adjustment most likely will follow closer to end of year.

I've been on to customer support to query this, they have advised me that they will not be passing on the VAT reduction and have no plans to do so. They don't view it as a de-facto price increase. I don't see how it is anything but that to be honest.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I've been on to customer support to query this, they have advised me that they will not be passing on the VAT reduction and have no plans to do so. They don't view it as a de-facto price increase. I don't see how it is anything but that to be honest.

Wonder what Revenue would make of that, surely its compulsory to pass it on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭tjhook

The contract we entered is for VM to charge us (i.e. take from our bank accounts) €X per month. I.e. if the VAT rate went up or there was another government levy applied, VM would be expected to suck it up. Passing it on would be a price increase.

Advertisement