Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can media people please stop saying Finne Gwail?

• 15-01-2020 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

A small but irritating gripe.

Most of us will have noticed RTE reporters and other journalists referring to the current Taoiseach's party as "Finne Gwail" even though they are reporting in English. In some cases the "gwail" is delivered in a hideously guttral, strangulated voice, for example by Sean O'Rourke.

This is a form of pseudo-correctness which annoys me and, I'm sure, many others. Nobody outside media circles ever, ever says "Finne Gwail." My own older blueshirt relatives were usually happy to call their party "Feene Gail" and were never contradicted.

It also tells me that media people are more anxious to prove their linguistic purity and establishment loyalties than they are to communicate effectively with their listeners.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

And stop voting for the Finne Gwail too while we're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Because they can't say Blueshirt Bastards over the airwaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Also can the media (mostly radio adverts) stop saying 'you are' when they mean your!

I presume the media are reading this thread? Like, it is addressed to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

A small but irritating gripe.
    Almost a trivial annoyance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

And stop voting for the Finne Gwail too while we're at it.

Can't look at Martin for next X years myself.

He was happy to sit back and take fat paycheck all his life, let him stay there.

Retiring soon so wants it for the crack now.

But it's all just a payday for a bunch of heads. At the end results will be the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ring the Goorthee the next time they do it OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Fine ( as in Foyne) Gael is acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

seamus wrote: »
    Ring the Goorthee the next time they do it OP.

Busy at the moment. They have gone out to attend a crash at the ryndabyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Just wait till your retirement, you will get hours of fun emailing the Irish Times pointing out the grammatical errors in the paper, followed by a few hours eamiling to RTE pointing out the linguistical errors and lamenting the decline in standards and use of the English language by our national broadcaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Wait until Finna Gwail start canvassing Doon Lay-horagh or Port Leesha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

If only we had a thread dedicated to minor things that annoy you...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I live in the gwaltecht so that’s how I would pronounce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I honestly always thought the "Gwail" was a correct pronunciation, along with "Gail", depending primarily on which region one's dialect comes from?

It's similar to the Dáil - depending on who you talk to, it's "Dall", "Thall", "Thoyle" or "Doyle". I imagine it's similar to another regional quirk in Irish, wherein some dialects replace the "r" sound with a very soft "d", so for example in the number 4, "Caw-hear" becomes "Caw-hid" or "Caw-hidge".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

topper75 wrote: »
    Busy at the moment. They have gone out to attend a crash at the ryndabyte.

Is there any futtige of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The OP hates Donegal, you know fine well they do :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Fine gale blowing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Due to ethnic status and such using the term knackers is frowned upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Yer wan Eileen Dunne absolutely does my head in with her Go-wardee pronunciation. Is there no news editor or director to say ‘Eileen ya feckin clown, will you stop making up stupid pronunciations for simple words!’

Also the skinny aul wan that does the weather with her ‘Eeha wha’ for Oiche Mhaith. Go and get some irish lessons ya plonker!!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭aoh

According to Gerry Ryan years ago (obviously!), RTE used to have a pronunciation department who taught all presenters how to (surprise) pronounce stuff. Hence the Port Laoiseeee etc. So all the old-timers still talk that way. Very few of the young ones do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,313 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'm sure they'll look into the ishhue now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Also it's NOT pronounced fianna Foil... The correct pronunciation is Fianna F-A-L-L... like how one might FALL from grace, after a period of high achievement and dominance! :D

Pat Kenny is the biggest culprit of this egregious error in pronunciation... I would quite happily slap him in the face with a big wet fresh water trout... he deserves nothing less!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Didn't Hall's Pictorial Weekly used to refer to them as the Fine Girl party ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Also it's NOT pronounced fianna Foil... The correct pronunciation is
    Fianna Fowl

darttodingle.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

But who's going to be the next Minister for Finn-ance after this election?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Also it's NOT pronounced fianna Foil... The correct pronunciation is Fianna F-A-L-L... like how one might FALL from grace, after a period of high achievement and dominance! :D

It's not though, it's more like somewhere between the two.
    https://www.teanglann.ie/en/fuaim/f%c3%a1il
    (Ignore the Munster dialect, they're sticking a 't' in there for no good reason at all, bloody Kerry people :))

I'd be happy if people just stopped saying Fianna Gael and Fine Fáil.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    But who's going to be the next Minister for Finn-ance after this election?

Michael McGrath.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

What way am I supposed to be saying it?

I feel like however i pronounce it one side will call me stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,451 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

What way am I supposed to be saying it?

I feel like however i pronounce it one side will call me stupid.

They are usually the stupid ones, insisting that there can only ever be one correct pronunciation. Ignoring the fact that thousands of words have two or more standard forms. The words Issue and Finance are just two examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Fine gale blowing
    :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

They are usually the stupid ones, insisting that there can only ever be one correct pronunciation. Ignoring the fact that thousands of words have two or more standard forms. The words Issue and Finance are just two examples.

Finance, the second "standard" form of which exists only on the broadcasts of RTE. You might as well argue that people saying "pacific" when they mean "specific" are using a standard form of the word

Advertisement