Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Windows 7 to 10 for free (still works)

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    I tried this on Monday and it worked fine (Home Premium version). However, I did lose nearly 10Gb of disk space after the installation. Not sure why. I expected Win10 to be more lighweight that Win7.

The upgrade process saved a backup of your previous Windows 7 installation on your HDD. It should be in a folder called windows.old which you can delete once you are happy that you won't want to revert to your previous setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Quackster wrote: »
    The upgrade process saved a backup of your previous Windows 7 installation on your HDD. It should be in a folder called windows.old which you can delete once you are happy that you won't want to revert to your previous setup.

You need to use the windows cleanup tool and select system files to delete the massive windows old folder.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    You need to use the windows cleanup tool and select system files to delete the massive windows old folder.

Yep, that's probably the easiest way of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Solaris10

https://www.techspot.com/guides/1219...ws-old-folder/

Solaris10 wrote: »

That link isn't working for me but here it is: techspot.com/guides/1219-delete-windows-old-folder

Very good run-through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Isn't the Windows cleanup tool obsolete now, as far as Windows 10 is concerned anyway?

I use Disk Clean-up, and go for the system files option to get rid of old versions and whatever else is taking up space.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭dasdog

Thanks - relatively seamless upgrade from 8.1

Tin Foil Hat PS afters:
    https://gist.github.com/alirobe/7f3b34ad89a159e6daa1

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭mondeoman2

Thanks OP,Upgraded Today And Got windows 10 PRO:D
    Seems to be working great now,
    lost all my files and bookmarks initially,but with a bit of
    googling I realised I had to sign in as an adminininistrator.
    All good now,
    Thanks

That link isn't working for me but here it is: techspot.com/guides/1219-delete-windows-old-folder

Very good run-through.

https://www.techspot.com/guides/1219-delete-windows-old-folder/

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Isn't the Windows cleanup tool obsolete now, as far as Windows 10 is concerned anyway?

I use Disk Clean-up, and go for the system files option to get rid of old versions and whatever else is taking up space.

That's what I meant.... But I think you know that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Thanks. I'll check that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

I use an old pc with windows 7 and no product key, what can I do? should I get rid and buy a laptop?

casio4 wrote: »
    I use an old pc with windows 7 and no product key, what can I do? should I get rid and buy a laptop?

https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

download Free Version...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Have win 7 on laptop and PC (at home) will never change, hate win 10 :(

Used to feel the same but picked up a new PC with a Solid Disk Drive and Win 10 installed this year, having previously installed 10 on my old PC. The main problem was it was so slow on a Hard Disk that it was unusable but a SSD made all the difference. Now I'm flying on it. Wouldn't go back to 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrtom

Failed upgrade:
    Model
    sony viao pcg-71911m

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Check if you have enought free space on disk and if disk is ok (bad sectors funny noise when starting etc).

Your screen looks broken so maybe disk have some faults.

Try running sfc /scannow and chkdsk /r

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 35,346 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What happens ones files folders, info, pictures, so on. will that remain after an update?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Qwerty? wrote: »
    Thanks, was guessing that but wanted to check before going ahead.

Happy Christmas.

All up and running thanks. A great bargain.

It accepted the win 7 key on the new SSD drive on installing windows 10 from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrtom

Check if you have enought free space on disk and if disk is ok (bad sectors funny noise when starting etc).

Your screen looks broken so maybe disk have some faults.

Try running sfc /scannow and chkdsk /r

Tom
    Thanks somebody_else:
    Have tried these steps & no issues detected. 30Gb free on C.

"0x8007001f-0x20006
    the installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during REPLICATE_OC operation hell.
    My research tells me this error related to update issue, in my case is an ehco of a deeper malaise.
    Will proceed with fresh W 10 install.

Can I assume that during this I can choose my C partition to install & preserve my other partitions ?

mrtom wrote: »
    Thanks somebody_else:
    Have tried these steps & no issues detected. 30Gb free on C.

"0x8007001f-0x20006
    the installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during REPLICATE_OC operation hell.
    My research tells me this error related to update issue, in my case is an ehco of a deeper malaise.
    Will proceed with fresh W 10 install.

Can I assume that during this I can choose my C partition to install & preserve my other partitions ?

30 gig is very tight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭banchang

mrcheez wrote: »
    Just a heads up that support for Windows 7 ends next month so if you have an activated copy then you can still get the Windows 10 upgrade for free (the offer which was supposedly ended a year or so back).

I upgraded my folks computer yesterday following this guide

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/upgrade-to-windows-10-free-heres-how/

Save you a hundred euro or so :D

When I try to run the tool after download, I get :

'There was a problem starting Setup. Close the tool, restart your PC, and then try running the tool again.'

I do all that & get the same message when I try to run it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭irishgeo

banchang wrote: »
    When I try to run the tool after download, I get :

'There was a problem starting Setup. Close the tool, restart your PC, and then try running the tool again.'

I do all that & get the same message when I try to run it.

a few solutions here

https://www.intowindows.com/fix-there-was-a-problem-starting-setup-error-while-running-media-creation-tool/

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

What happens ones files folders, info, pictures, so on. will that remain after an update?

If you install as an upgrade it should all still be available - however as with all installs, make sure you've backed up first to reduce chances of data loss and lack of compatibility with the newer version.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Since the upgrade I am missing some files from the desktop. Any idea where I can find them, are the old files retained anywhere for reversing the process. Also I seem to have freed up 10 GB with the upgrade.

Any ideas appriciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RickyBobby1

dingding wrote: »
    Since the upgrade I am missing some files from the desktop. Any idea where I can find them, are the old files retained anywhere for reversing the process. Also I seem to have freed up 10 GB with the upgrade.

Any ideas appriciated.

Did you do a backup before the upgrade? Sounds like you didn't

Any ideas appriciated.

Do you still have windows old folder? They could be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

Thanks for the reminder OP, I bought a Windows 8 Pro licence a couple of years back from MS for €15.

I have an old Lenovo X230 laptop which I put an additional 4gb of ram, 240gb ssd and a usb 802.11ac adapter into. The total spend was €60!

It is like a new laptop now running Windows 10 Pro!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭5star02707

Thanks OP updated mine, tried the first time (keep account) it failed but then tried the second time (clear accounts and files) then it worked.

Any ideas appriciated.

Should be under C: drive and in the folder "old window files"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I didn't have much luck until I freed up about 35 GB of space on Drive C:

• Advertisement

A clean install of Windows 10 is preferable to an update really

Advertisement