Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best sat nav for Ireland

• 16-10-2011 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi can anyone recommend the best satnav for Ireland? One that will take our Irish addresses ?? I find any of them are grand for town addresses with numbered houses but are not great for rural addresses??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

That's the problem with Ireland. No post codes out side of Dublin, many small towns with the same names and a lot of places don't even have house numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Garmin with Loc8Code is great. I'm sure others will run it too.

Loc8Code is generated by the destination by going to the location address via their website and generating a Loc8Code [basically lat/long] and it is then stored as that person's address ~ if the system goes national as a post code this means a person's address is accurate to about the width of a country laneway and even more accurate in cities.

The Sat Navs that I've tried are notorious for not knowing localities in the country ~ yet will display their names as one drives through or arrives at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

gbee wrote: »
    Garmin with Loc8Code is great. I'm sure others will run it too.

Loc8Code is generated by the destination by going to the location address via their website and generating a Loc8Code [basically lat/long] and it is then stored as that person's address ~ if the system goes national as a post code this means a person's address is accurate to about the width of a country laneway and even more accurate in cities.

The Sat Navs that I've tried are notorious for not knowing localities in the country ~ yet will display their names as one drives through or arrives at them.

Garmin isn't in the app store though.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭jdee99

Garmin Base Camp is though h__p://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/garmin-basecamp/id411052274?mt=12 use it to route plan on a Mac

Rgds

JD

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Navfree is fairly good but not sure how it'll hold up against rural places.
    Worth a shot anyway since it's free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

I use TomTom W.Europe, never lets me down, has the ability to put in address plus google search.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There's another free satnav now - Skobbler.
    I just downloaded it today, looks slick but haven't tried it out yet.

Advertisement