Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭deisedude

1. Stephen O'Keeffe - Ballygunner
    2. Tadgh de Burca - Clashmore/Kinsalebeg
    3. Shane Fives - Carrigtwohill
    4. Noel Connors - Passage
    5. Jamie Nagle - Dungarvan
    6. Michael Walsh (Capt) - Stradbally
    7. Philip Mahony - Ballygunner
    8. Kevin Moran - De La Salle
    9. Shane McNulty - De La Salle
    10. Shane O'Sullivan - Ballygunner
    11. Pauric Mahony - Ballygunner
    12. Stephen Molumphy – Ballyduff Upper
    13. Ryan Donnelly - Dungarvan
    14. Seamus Prendergast - Ardmore
    15. Ray Barry - Lismore

Waterford team for Sunday. Brian O'Sullivan out for Shane McNulty the only change.

Liking that team I must say. Jake Dillon a little unlucky to miss out given how well he performed for WIT. Could just be rested of course. I pray to God our forwards performance against Galway wasn't a once off and that its a sign of whats to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Good team considering this excert from todays Times:

Waterford’s hopes of a home victory are hit by a long injury list that currently includes the likes of Liam Lawlor, Maurice Shanahan, Darragh Fives, Stephen Daniels, Brian O’Halloran, Richie Foley and Donie Breathnach – all of whom are still working their way back to full match fitness. There are also doubts about the availability of All-Ireland minor winners Stephen Bennett and Austin Gleeson, while Jake Dillon is battling a virus.

Martin O Neill is another on way back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Ok but one thing I will honestly state and I live very close to Waterford myself is that Ive never once met a person from Waterford who has said that they dont hate Kilkenny or wish Kilkenny well. Just an observation and I have lived close to Waterford all my life.

If you can show me a single example in the entire world of sport where the supporters of an unsuccessful team are inclined to think well of their successful neighbours then your observation might be worthwhile. As it is, all you are saying is that we are the same as everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

deiseach wrote: »
    If you can show me a single example in the entire world of sport where the supporters of an unsuccessful team are inclined to think well of their successful neighbours then your observation might be worthwhile. As it is, all you are saying is that we are the same as everyone else.

I can't see any Liverpudlians wishing Man U well, or Madrilenos wishing Barcelona well, or Cork football supporters wishing Kerry well on a September trip to Croker either...

Only time I've shouted KK on was when they were stopping Cork from doing the three in a row. Once they've had 15 years without an All-Ireland and are standing in the way of yet another win for a rampantly successful Tipp, Cork, Clare or Galway team*, I might consider shouting for them then.

* As if!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

must admit looking forward to sunday now, like the look at that team, espically now that we have seen who is unfit, i think the win v Galway has given everybody a boost , and to have done it so efficiently was very impressive, at this stage you could only feel very pleased with not only the performence v galway but also against tipp, but you would also have to be happy with team selections, fitness and the willingness for the lads to work for each other on the field, got to be happy with that, big test on sunday, but like Galway your not too sure what dublin team will turn up, they were impressive ish v Clare and must have been stink v Galway the first day as Galway are poor. I think Dublin will prove a different test on Sunday as they will be very physical and have good ball winning forwards, but when they are not 100% at it, can be taken, think we will do well but if Dublin really want it,then they might shade it ,just because they are furthur along the road than we are.

• Advertisement

fricatus wrote: »
    I can't see any Liverpudlians wishing Man U well, or Madrilenos wishing Barcelona well, or Cork football supporters wishing Kerry well on a September trip to Croker either...

We could expand the discussion into the attitudes of neighbours towards each other in general. Has anyone from Kilkenny ever cheered for Tipperary? But let's keep it simple for the moment. Waterford are unsuccessful. Kilkenny are successful. I would have thought Kilkenny people, up there on their lofty perch, wouldn't give two hoots what we think of them. But I might be wrong and deep down they really yearn to be loved.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭carter10

We could expand the discussion into the attitudes of neighbours towards each other in general. Has anyone from Kilkenny ever cheered for Tipperary? But let's keep it simple for the moment. Waterford are unsuccessful. Kilkenny are successful. I would have thought Kilkenny people, up there on their lofty perch, wouldn't give two hoots what we think of them. But I might be wrong and deep down they really yearn to be loved.

You hit the nail on the head there deiseach not only do Kilkenny want to win all round them ( which is grand) but they also want 'to be loved' hence all the false modesty when KK players or management are interviewed. Of course it all right for them to have a primeval hatred of Tipp- thats different of course, the rest of us should tip the hat and bend the knee to them! Dont think so, if we did we'd be....Offaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭seananigans

Wow severe depth of talent we have right now some players could have an early career end the way things are going

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

1. Stephen O'Keeffe - Ballygunner
    2. Tadgh de Burca - Clashmore/Kinsalebeg
    3. Shane Fives - Carrigtwohill
    4. Noel Connors - Passage
    5. Jamie Nagle - Dungarvan
    6. Michael Walsh (Capt) - Stradbally
    7. Philip Mahony - Ballygunner
    8. Kevin Moran - De La Salle
    9. Shane McNulty - De La Salle
    10. Shane O'Sullivan - Ballygunner
    11. Pauric Mahony - Ballygunner
    12. Stephen Molumphy – Ballyduff Upper
    13. Ryan Donnelly - Dungarvan
    14. Seamus Prendergast - Ardmore
    15. Ray Barry - Lismore

Waterford team for Sunday. Brian O'Sullivan out for Shane McNulty the only change.

Delighted to see McNulty get a start although id rather he played in his natural/best position wing back rather then midfield but it's great to see so much potential in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Delighted to see McNulty get a start although id rather he played in his natural/best position wing back rather then midfield but it's great to see so much potential in the squad.
    I think Jamie Nagle will swap with McNulty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Deise_2012 wrote: »

More likely that he will swap with Philip Mahony, I think. Delighted for McNulty, a super hurler. I would like to see him tried in the forwards, as we have loads of half backs. Is he in college somewhere? Wasn't on the Fitzgibbon Cup radar this year.

If you throw in the ten injured/ill players listed in the Irish Times, not to mention the likes of Paudie Prendergast, Jamie Barron (both fixtures on the UCC team), Brian O'Sullivan, Barry Coughlan, Stephen Roche, and Gavin O'Brien, would anyone like to suggest a starting fifeen for the championship - or even a match-day 25?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

Giveitfong wrote: »
    More likely that he will swap with Philip Mahony, I think. Delighted for McNulty, a super hurler. I would like to see him tried in the forwards, as we have loads of half backs. Is he in college somewhere? Wasn't on the Fitzgibbon Cup radar this year.

If you throw in the ten injured/ill players listed in the Irish Times, not to mention the likes of Paudie Prendergast, Jamie Barron (both fixtures on the UCC team), Brian O'Sullivan, Barry Coughlan, Stephen Roche, and Gavin O'Brien, would anyone like to suggest a starting fifeen for the championship - or even a match-day 25?

I think the next generation coming are better over the next 3-4 years.. I believe some of the names that you have mentioned aren't up to it irrespective of being on College sides which i agree is a help but there has been millions of fitz hurlers never make it as intercounty hurlers.. So i wouldnt be overly excited with the names on the injury list to be honest but the next breed coming i would be..

It's great to so many new faces, but anyone willing to venture an opinion on whether these are being selected in expectation that they'll be Championship-quality hurlers rather than hope?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Giveitfong wrote: »

Dunno, I don't like Mahony out midfield, I think he gets on the ball more in the wing back line, that's where he played his best hurling underage with the minor teams, Ballygunner and DLS. Loving the competition for places though :)

Shane Mac was playing fresher hurling for WIT this yr!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

carter10 wrote: »
    You hit the nail on the head there deiseach not only do Kilkenny want to win all round them ( which is grand) but they also want 'to be loved' hence all the false modesty when KK players or management are interviewed. Of course it all right for them to have a primeval hatred of Tipp- thats different of course, the rest of us should tip the hat and bend the knee to them! Dont think so, if we did we'd be....Offaly.

Sure if yee were decent neighbours yee probably should do. All yee seem to do is begrudge us and make little of our achievements by picking them apart the whole time (ie. yee had refs on yere side, yere on the way down, such and such a team had no backs and as some other clown mentioned previously, the false modesty in interviews etc), that sort of crap I hear from Waterford people the whole time. What I meant by wishing us well I didnt mean in a literal sense, I meant that yee never seem to give us credit where its due. Im just waiting now for someone to belittle the 4 in a row, "oh yee had no real competition" "Overrated". Come on whos going to be the first? Nobody said anything about loving us, who cares about that? But yee are just so bitter yee cant give us credit where its due. Seeing as someone else brought Tipp into it, I remember in 2010 after the match, a Tipp fan turning to me on the hill after the match and shaking my hand commiserating and saying we would be back. I heard many stories of similar events that day too. One thing about the Tipp-Kilkenny rivalry, it is a ferocious rivalry and both hate each other but at the same time theres a genuine respect there. Cant say the same for Waterford though

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭IanVW

Sure if yee were decent neighbours yee probably should do. All yee seem to do is begrudge us and make little of our achievements by picking them apart the whole time (ie. yee had refs on yere side, yere on the way down, such and such a team had no backs and as some other clown mentioned previously, the false modesty in interviews etc), that sort of crap I hear from Waterford people the whole time. What I meant by wishing us well I didnt mean in a literal sense, I meant that yee never seem to give us credit where its due. Im just waiting now for someone to belittle the 4 in a row, "oh yee had no real competition" "Overrated". Come on whos going to be the first? Nobody said anything about loving us, who cares about that? But yee are just so bitter yee cant give us credit where its due. Seeing as someone else brought Tipp into it, I remember in 2010 after the match, a Tipp fan turning to me on the hill after the match and shaking my hand commiserating and saying we would be back. I heard many stories of similar events that day too. One thing about the Tipp-Kilkenny rivalry, it is a ferocious rivalry and both hate each other but at the same time theres a genuine respect there. Cant say the same for Waterford though

You cant paint all waterford people the same way. Im from waterford and proud and still have genuine respect for Kilkennys achievements! Most waterford people do!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭TGV

Actually most waterford people would have admiration for kk hurlers and what they have achieved. And i guess we would like to be in your position. Now go away and come back when you have something constructive to discuss about hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Deise_2012 wrote: »

I agree with you there I think if anyone from half back line were to move it will be Nagle,I doubt Philip Mahony would be moved out of wing back but I wouldn't be surprised if McNulty started midfield. Either way plenty of positives can be taken from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Sad. Its only gaa at the end of the day. You should get out more and meet more people from different counties

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Ya poor thing, you nearly have me crying in sympathy for your plight. Waa waa waa. I've never heard anything but overbearing condescension - ever- from KK fans re Waterford hurling, so don't be surprised if ye're not feeling the love back petal

• Advertisement

Okay, which of ye lads is this pmy.murphy geezer? You could make him up.

Okay, which of ye lads is this pmy.murphy geezer? You could make him up.

Ah well best of luck being bridesmaids haha. Its all Waterford will ever be. Ya cant beat tradition. We didnt beat yee by half enough in that 08 All Ireland. Also read somewhere yesterday about Davy Fitz getting assaulted by a few Waterford fans after the 2011 Munster Final. You stay classy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Ah well best of luck being bridesmaids haha. Its all Waterford will ever be. Ya cant beat tradition. We didnt beat yee by half enough in that 08 All Ireland. Also read somewhere yesterday about Davy Fitz getting assaulted by a few Waterford fans after the 2011 Munster Final. You stay classy

and you wonder why people don't wish ye well:rolleyes::rolleyes:,you don't have scrath hard for this response from a sizable minority of the Kilkenny support tbh

pity really,they have no reason for this bitterness

and you wonder why people don't wish ye well:rolleyes::rolleyes:,you don't have scrath hard for this response from a sizable minority of the Kilkenny support tbh

pity really,they have no reason for this bitterness

Ill be honest with you im actually a minority. The majority of Kilkenny people actually like Waterford which sickens me considering how much they hate us. Just saying

Ill be honest with you im actually a minority. The majority of Kilkenny people actually like Waterford which sickens me considering how much they hate us. Just saying

with quote like below,which are to regulary heard from Kilkenny people as far as I can tell is it any wonder there not liked tbf
    with the way they laughed and spat at Waterford fans on hill 16 in 08 (other years as well,just 08 was one of the worst I recall)...it'll be a long time before id even consider shouting for them...
    its a pity as they have some great hurlers....sure jesus shefflin is surly up with the best he is worth 3 or 4 players to them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭bullpost

What are you on about? I love to see Kilkenny do well - in the football :)

with quote like below,which are to regulary heard from Kilkenny people as far as I can tell is it any wonder there not liked tbf
    with the way they laughed and spat at Waterford fans on hill 16 in 08 (other years as well,just 08 was one of the worst I recall)...it'll be a long time before id even consider shouting for them...
    its a pity as they have some great hurlers....sure jesus shefflin is surly up with the best he is worth 3 or 4 players to them

He is but seriously Waterford are no angels either. Theres a lot of niggle there from both sides. Ya cant say one side are worse than the other. The main reason i dislike waterford is not just because they hate us but because they hate us to such an extent they refuse to even recognise or acknowldege our achievements and all they do is pick them apart the whole time. Not saying anything about you obviously you have your reasons which is understandable but theres a lot of people who dont. As you say yourself about Henry Shefflin, I have a lot of respect for Tony Browne. Sure its a crime not to have respect for a great of the game no matter what county their from. Lar Corbett is another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭dzilla

Go way back under the bridge

He is but seriously Waterford are no angels either. Theres a lot of niggle there from both sides. Ya cant say one side are worse than the other. The main reason i dislike waterford is not just because they hate us but because they hate us to such an extent they refuse to even recognise or acknowldege our achievements and all they do is pick them apart the whole time. Not saying anything about you obviously you have your reasons which is understandable but theres a lot of people who dont. As you say yourself about Henry Shefflin, I have a lot of respect for Tony Browne. Sure its a crime not to have respect for a great of the game no matter what county their from. Lar Corbett is another.

he is not even liked in tipp :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

he is not even liked in tipp :pac::pac::pac:

Still take nothing away from his hurling ability

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement