Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oculus Go VR headset now from €159

• 17-01-2020 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.oculus.com/go/

Great introduction to VR on the cheap. It's VR-lite, but has some excellent games like Racket Fury, Dreadhalls and Daedalus. You can also play Quake in VR with a little fiddling.

Watch 3D movies in your own private IMAX cinema with superb resolution.

No need for a separate PC either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

I'm considering getting one for watching Netflix in bed, the all-in-one solution is ideal for it. Had a Rift CV1 and loved it but obviously don't suit casual movie/tv watching even though the tech is really cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭bromley52

Homelander wrote: »
    I'm considering getting one for watching Netflix in bed, the all-in-one solution is ideal for it. Had a Rift CV1 and loved it but obviously don't suit casual movie/tv watching even though the tech is really cool.

Netflix? Ya right

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

bromley52 wrote: »
    Netflix? Ya right

Well, Mass on a Sunday via RTE Player too of course. A good, long sermon on a 400" screen is something everyone should experience at least once.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭bromley52

Well, Mass on a Sunday via RTE Player too of course. A good, long sermon on a 400" screen is something everyone should experience at least once.

I do love a good Mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

The only thing I'd mention is that battery life can be a bit limited for extended movie watching but having a power brick on hand will get you through a Netflix binge session. Can watch away while it's connected to the external battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

mrcheez wrote: »
    The only thing I'd mention is that battery life can be a bit limited for extended movie watching but having a power brick on hand will get you through a Netflix binge session. Can watch away while it's connected to the external battery.

I'd say 10 minutes should be enough to get the job done ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭VanZan

Skybox and 3D mkv files are fantastic. Battery life is abysmal. Really get the 64GB version if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,862 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Tempted until I saw the minuscule storage, the wait goes on.

Have they been cracked so you can run your own apps and *cough* "homebrew" *cough* out of interest or are you locked into the Oculus ecosystem?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭VanZan

That's a bloody good question....I never even thought of checking for some reason.

Thargor wrote: »
    Tempted until I saw the minuscule storage, the wait goes on.

Have they been cracked so you can run your own apps and *cough* "homebrew" *cough* out of interest or are you locked into the Oculus ecosystem?

Yeah totally hackable.

I play Virtual Boy games on mine, plus Quake as mentioned earlier. VB games are actually really polished and the 3D effect is outstanding.

I think the only thing that let down the Virtual Boy was the hardware as games like Wario are great.

Also 64GB is plenty. The only thing that can really fill em up are flicks :)

• Advertisement

Thanks, Im damn tempted but Im not going to be frugal on VR, Ill pay a grand or two for the right All in One when it comes along but this isnt it.

Im not even looking for an All in One tbh but current VR setups are just too awkward for me, Im waiting for a more refined experience, something that can be plugged into my gaming rig for full gaming sessions but can also be used in bed for Youtube and video files. Maybe a Quest 2 if it ever appears.

Thanks, Im damn tempted but Im not going to be frugal on VR, Ill pay a grand or two for the right All in One when it comes along but this isnt it.

Im not even looking for an All in One tbh but current VR setups are just too awkward for me, Im waiting for a more refined experience, something that can be plugged into my gaming rig for full gaming sessions but can also be used in bed for Youtube and video files. Maybe a Quest 2 if it ever appears.

Sounds like the current Quest is what you're looking for?

Can be played standalone or plugged into a gaming rig, and also can be switched to 3DoF for watching videos in bed.

Hackable too.

I have Half Life on mine and when I started walking around in the half life world I literally shat myself.

Tip: buy extra underwear.

Can be played standalone or plugged into a gaming rig, and also can be switched to 3DoF for watching videos in bed.

Hackable too.

I have Half Life on mine and when I started walking around in the half life world I literally shat myself.

Yeah but its still not there, I know theres always something better just around the corner but it really feels like one more gen and it will be proper VR this time. I might just buy a Go to tide me over for another year or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Is it a good 10 minutes though?

Yeah but its still not there, I know theres always something better just around the corner but it really feels like one more gen and it will be proper VR this time. I might just buy a Go to tide me over for another year or two.

but then you'll be waiting forever as the next gen will be supersceded by something better ad infinitum. Just enjoy each generation as it evolves :)

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

I got a Go secondhand for €100 and have had lots of fun with the free content available for it.. but haven't yet paid for any games.
    Can you recommend any particular one?

Also would I be able to run Half Life on it or would I need a Quest?
    If it can run on the Go would you mind sharing how you go about doing that?

Can I ask more about the the Virtual Boy games too ?? What are they? 3D?
    Do you install an emulator or something?

Thanks in advance...

Hackable too.

vidapura wrote: »
    I got a Go secondhand for €100 and have had lots of fun with the free content available for it.. but haven't yet paid for any games.
    Can you recommend any particular one?

Also would I be able to run Half Life on it or would I need a Quest?
    If it can run on the Go would you mind sharing how you go about doing that?

Can I ask more about the the Virtual Boy games too ?? What are they? 3D?
    Do you install an emulator or something?

Thanks in advance...

Check out YouTube for tutorials on how to setup Virtual Boy on the Go... some even link to the actual roms.

I have Quake on mine, but for Half Life you would need a Quest. Again YouTube will instruct you on how to setup Quake.

For games, I personally love Daedalus / Dreadhalls / Racket Fury and Real VR Fishing (amazing visuals... just like being there)

Virtual Desktop is also fantastic as you can play all your Steam games on your PC on a huge IMAX screen while sitting on the Moon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭lowelife

We all like a happy ending :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

I got an Oculus Go for Christmas and am having nothing but problems with it. Freezing and rebooting regularly. Screen goes black and sound continues. If I plug it in while using, even though it says it's charging the battery eventually goes down and it powers off. I've just opened a ticket with them but wondering if anyone else having similar issues? I thought it would at least continue to work while plugged in.

deisedevil wrote: »
    I got an Oculus Go for Christmas and am having nothing but problems with it. Freezing and rebooting regularly. Screen goes black and sound continues. If I plug it in while using, even though it says it's charging the battery eventually goes down and it powers off. I've just opened a ticket with them but wondering if anyone else having similar issues? I thought it would at least continue to work while plugged in.

Definitely sounds suspect.

Oculus Support are very good though and you'll get a new replacement no probs.

They replaced mine when I took it outside and it got hit by sunrays (my own fault).

• Advertisement

deisedevil wrote: »

I've been lucky so far it seems.
    Even with it being secondhand I haven't experienced anything wrong really.
    The hand pointer thing refused to connect a coupla times but I just reset the headset and replaced the AA battery and it hasn't happened since.
    The wifi signal reception isn't great I find...

The battery life isn't enough to watch a full film (using skybox) but I think thats par for the course.
    I have used a long USB cable to watch a movie but just found the weight of the headset to make it uncomfortable after an hour anyway..
    (and I read somewhere its a risky idea to have it on your face while charging.. probably a bit paranoid tho..)

So, yeah, get onto support, sounds like you've a dodgy one...

Uh ohh....

"Oculus is dropping the Oculus Go from its business platform."

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/21/21075920/facebook-oculus-business-go-dropped-vr-headset-support-quest

They are probably phasing it out entirely ... sigh...

Uh ohh....

"Oculus is dropping the Oculus Go from its business platform."

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/21/21075920/facebook-oculus-business-go-dropped-vr-headset-support-quest

They are probably phasing it out entirely ... sigh...

damn... keep them in good condition and keep the box so. Will be worth a fortune in coming years.

I have 2 iPod Classics still boxed and in wrapping and they're both worth around triple the price I paid for them... and rising.

Damn, glad I waited now, cant shake the urge to buy a Quest though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Quest is so so good

damn... keep them in good condition and keep the box so. Will be worth a fortune in coming years.

I have 2 iPod Classics still boxed and in wrapping and they're both worth around triple the price I paid for them... and rising.

Thats interesting I have a Creative Zen Vision M with its docking boombox, complete with original box etc.

Wonder how much its worth, they were fetching nice money on ebay at one stage.

Hey, what controller do you use with the Go when you play games? I read that the XBox bluetooth controller was a good one.. but they are pricey...

Thats interesting I have a Creative Zen Vision M with its docking boombox, complete with original box etc.

Wonder how much its worth, they were fetching nice money on ebay at one stage.

Hey, what controller do you use with the Go when you play games? I read that the XBox bluetooth controller was a good one.. but they are pricey...

Xbox One S controller really is the best... but there are several cheaper ones people recommend.

Some suggestions here

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusGo/comments/9w1ln6/list_of_supported_gamepadscontrollers_for_the/

• Registered Users Posts: 31,811 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Random question...can I wear my glasses with this..and what is it like for watching Netflix? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭eguiney

gmisk wrote: »
    Random question...can I wear my glasses with this..and what is it like for watching Netflix? Thanks :)

It can be adjusted for glasses (there is a spacer to move the lens further out), but I didn't try it out as I was setting it up for someone else.

The Netflix app had you seated in a cinema with a screen in front showing the programme, but it might have changed since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

eguiney wrote: »
    It can be adjusted for glasses (there is a spacer to move the lens further out), but I didn't try it out as I was setting it up for someone else.

The Netflix app had you seated in a cinema with a screen in front showing the programme, but it might have changed since.

Netflix you are actually sitting in a living room of a log cabin with a 75"ish TV in front of you

Advertisement