Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying bitcoins

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have used https://www.belgacoin.com several time and have found them to have good rates and to be reliable. Only real issue is that they require an initial small transaction to verify your bank details and purchase requests can be delayed a day or two due to the time taken for them to receive the funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Stuxnet wrote: »
    I used the website eircoin few years back to buy a few $$ in bc. Was handy as was Irish based and you could pay for your coin via Irish bank transfer.

Site does not seem to be operating anymore.

Anybody know of similar alternative Irish broker, or whats the least painful way to purchase some coin that all the cool kids use these days.

Thanks

If you want an irish service provider, you could use www.bitcove.ie . However, SEPA transfer opens up a host of european exchanges - such as Bitstamp, Kraken and Belgacoin.

Local Bitcoins is also an option if you'd prefer a peer to peer exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

If you want an irish service provider, you could use www.bitcove.ie .

Thanks lads for the input

Interesting both eircoin and bitcove use the cliffs of moher on their front page ! Wonder is it the same team

Thanks again for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Stuxnet wrote: »
    Thanks lads for the input

Interesting both eircoin and bitcove use the cliffs of moher on their front page ! Wonder is it the same team

Thanks again for the help.

Well the value of crypto has fallen off a cliff!!

I’ll get my coat.

I’ll get my coat.

It keeps doing that. Funny how you never seem to notice when it climbs back up. Wish you would,

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    It keeps doing that. Funny how you never seem to notice when it climbs back up. Wish you would,

Ara I was only being lighthearted. Sure it’s been falling for over a year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Anyone tried bitcoin.de identification by post? The online video identification is a bad joke and I tried really everything except hacking their webpage (idnow.de) ;-)
    bitcoin.de is great, but the external identification just doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭worded

I’ll get my coat.

I’m waiting for TytanicCoin

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

For anyone wishing to use a bitcoin ATM in Dublin, there is one located in PAIR mobile on Wicklow street. I went in there yesterday to try it out. You can also get ethereum.

It was very straightforward, you can exchange up to 250 euro without ID. The fees are fairly high at about 8%. I got 0.032038 BTC for 250euro in to my mobile wallet. Have seen a few cafes/ restaurants accept BTC when I've been abroad, but nothing here in Ireland yet.

https://boinnex.com/bitcoin-atm-dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭boardie100

For anyone wishing to use a bitcoin ATM in Dublin, there is one located in PAIR mobile on Wicklow street. I went in there yesterday to try it out. You can also get ethereum.

It was very straightforward, you can exchange up to 250 euro without ID. The fees are fairly high at about 8%. I got 0.032038 BTC for 250euro in to my mobile wallet. Have seen a few cafes/ restaurants accept BTC when I've been abroad, but nothing here in Ireland yet.

can you get cash for btc from it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

boardie100 wrote: »
    can you get cash for btc from it?

No, not at this particular ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bitireland

Why you choose Bitcoin ATM instead of an exchange? The exchange rates of each ATM are too high, and there are too many limits.

For low fee, low KYC hassle Bitcoin buying, I use Belgacoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Knes1998

I would say bitcoin gives the best option for making the money through the help of and making more profit options.There are some of the people who love to I would say bitcoin gives the best option for making the money through the help of and making more profit options.There are some of the people who love to make money through the trading platform which is also the good option for earning the money easily. make money through the trading platform which is also the good option for earning the money easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Knes1998 wrote: »
    I would say bitcoin gives the best option for making the money through the help of and making more profit options.There are some of the people who love to I would say bitcoin gives the best option for making the money through the help of and making more profit options.There are some of the people who love to make money through the trading platform which is also the good option for earning the money easily. make money through the trading platform which is also the good option for earning the money easily.

Spam

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭Kickstart1.3

Yeah I knew of a few, one in Spain that used to accept bitcoin payments but they've stopped. According to the owner it was a fad and hip at the time but just isn't worth the hassle now

Yeah I knew of a few, one in Spain that used to accept bitcoin payments but they've stopped. According to the owner it was a fad and hip at the time but just isn't worth the hassle now

Could all become elementary. These guys are going to enable the european versions of Amazon within the next few months. That opens up 353 million products to bitcoin holders.

Other platforms will follow.

That aside, as lightning network continues to develop and gather momentum, it stands a better chance of supporting BTC as a medium of exchange....but there's still a lot of work to be done on that project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭ Angelo Sparse Sunflower

Can't see me spending my Bitcoin for at least 5 years, not because I can't, but because I don't want to.

I'm all for that, particularly if someone could develop an anonymizing parcel forwarding system so I could declare I'm in Luxembourg and have VAT levied at 2% on all my purchases. :cool:

I recently bought some coffee beans from Lxb - the tax applied was eye-opening.

Can't see me spending my Bitcoin for at least 5 years, not because I can't, but because I don't want to.

Mine's staying put until I'm living somewhere the CGT is 0%, not 33%.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭ Angelo Sparse Sunflower

cnocbui wrote: »
    Mine's staying put until I'm living somewhere the CGT is 0%, not 33%.

True enough it does make it a lot easier to HODL knowing we have to emigrate beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Could all become elementary. These guys are going to enable the european versions of Amazon within the next few months. That opens up 353 million products to bitcoin holders.

That aside, as lightning network continues to develop and gather momentum, it stands a better chance of supporting BTC as a medium of exchange....but there's still a lot of work to be done on that project.
    It’s important to clarify that there is no direct integration with Amazon. However, the nature of the browser extension

😂😂😂ðŸ˜

LoL

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I am not sure I fully get it, but the way I read it, it is a browser extension which overlays on the online merchant's payment page and autofills the form to converts a crypto deposit into a fiat payment with a virtual credit/debit card? (with no involvement from the merchant)

If yes I personally find it rather convoluted. If the endgame is to convert crypto into a fiat card payment, I find actual MasterCard or Visa cards associated to a crypto wallet better, as they will work anywhere (online and in physical shops) and don't require specific coding for every website.

Bob24 wrote: »
    If yes I personally find it rather convoluted.

Please watch the youtube video halfway down the article and let me know what part of that process is convoluted.
    If the endgame is to convert crypto into a fiat card paymen
    The Bitcoin holder doesn't have to touch FIAT. The processor does that for them. It seems pretty seamless to me.
    I find actual MasterCard or Visa cards associated to a crypto wallet better, as they will work anywhere (online and in physical shops)
    Terrific - if you're happy with that - then keep using it. This gives people another option - and they themselves don't have to touch FIAT. Remember also that in many jurisdictions, the opportunity to hold a card with a crypto account isn't an option.
    and don't require specific coding for every website
    With this browser extension, it doesn't need coding for every specific website - but it does need activation at a processor level. That means that mom and pop ecomm sites can be enabled in the future - without manually activating one at a time.

This is a good interim solution. As volumes grow, that company can approach ecomm sites and make a case for direct integration and support. I hope that people in the crypto community get behind it.

In any event - it takes one of those main criticisms (i.e. you can't buy jack with crypto) off the list. With 353 million products available via Amazon - that alone means that anything can be purchased with BTC ...before others are added. There are many others that will need to follow - but step by step.

People don’t use bitcoin to buy things. They hodl hoping it goes up in value so they can sell it to another person for more money than they paid for it.

It’s a Rube Goldberg machine. Using PayPal or some other payment mechanism is far far easier. Easier wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Please watch the youtube video halfway down the article and let me know what part of that process is convoluted.

You need a browser extension meaning you have to install it on every single time you install a new browser or use a new computer (and it will never support all browsers, especially mobile ones - and is unlikely to support mobile Apps which many people use to shop nowadays). And it only enables payment on a handful of websites so it is not that practical.

Only someone who care deeply about crypto and/or is curious to try will bother with that. And if they are going to invest time into a crypto to fiat payment solution, why not just go for one which supports any website or physical store?

But what I was saying is more that based on how I understand it, the implementation seems convoluted:
    With this browser extension, it doesn't need coding for every specific website - but it does need activation at a processor level. That means that mom and pop ecomm sites can be enabled in the future - without manually activating one at a time.

As I said I am not 100% clear how it works in the background, but the link you posted clearly states there is no partnership with Amazon. Without a cooperation with Amazon how can it work besides using specific code in the extension which fills-out the payment form on Amazon's website (and which therefore will not work with any other website as their payment form will be different).
    The Bitcoin holder doesn't have to touch FIAT. The processor does that for them. It seems pretty seamless to me.

Yep I get that, I could be wrong but it is the same with the like of a Coinbase card as far as I know - hence why I mentioned it as an alternative. The reason I find the card more elegant is that the implementation is not specific to any vendor (i.e. it it gives a much better reach out of the box for the user and in terms of maintenance it doesn't require to constantly be tweaked to support more vendors).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭Kickstart1.3

People don’t use bitcoin to buy things. They hodl hoping it goes up in value so they can sell it to another person for more money than they paid for it.

It’s a Rube Goldberg machine. Using PayPal or some other payment mechanism is far far easier. Easier wins.

funny but I suppose it's true
    ef37c7f0efcaf86d364c8ad51fb26176.jpg?w=768

You need a browser extension meaning you have to install it on every single time you install a new browser or use a new computer
    How many times in a year do you install a new browser? When you do so, can you not import browser extensions?
    and it will never support all browsers, especially mobile ones).
    The startup is only up and running a number of months - it supports browsers that are used by 70% of the global public. As for browser extensions on mobile browsers, by all accounts they're coming. It's already possible with many mobile browsers - its just that such extensions are not officially supported on mobile yet by the likes of Chrome, etc.
    And it only enables payment on a handful of websites so it is not that practical.
    I think you are missing the point here. The point is that for holders of Bitcoin - existing holders of Bitcoin - they have a tangible option if they should choose to go out and buy products with their crypto.
    You have to walk before you can run. Moon Tech are offering a valid option for people in that situation - of which there are 100s of thousands.

Only someone who care deeply about crypto will bother with that.
    See above. So in the scenario where I have BTC right now and I don't have a card attached to a crypto account, it's not a question of 'caring deeply' - its a real tangible option.
    And if they are going to invest time into a crypto to fiat payment solution, why not just go for one which supports any website or physical store?
    What TIME????
    Secondly, because this is a solution for people that already have BTC and might choose to spend it on goods. Many of them don't want to touch FIAT.
    Furthermore, many of them see what the implications are here. i.e. this is a workaround and a precursor to direct integration. It's only with real integration, that startup will make money - so that's the play. Anyone who really believes in crypto would see the value in it.
    why not just go for one which supports any website or physical store?
    Because this is a workaround that will lead to actual integration. Secondly, give them a chance. They're only up and running a few months. As previously posted, they are not going to be activating these store by store - it will be processor by processor.
    The link you posted clearly states there is no partnership with Amazon. Without a partnership how does it work in the background, besides using specific code in the extension which fills-out the payment form on Amazon's website (and which therefore will not work with any other website as their payment form will be different).
    It provides the conversion so you as a crypto holder don't have to. They can do that without having any dealings with the e-tailer. Amazon are oblivious to it. The purchaser is largely oblivious to the conversion - from their perspective, they've paid with BTC.

funny but I suppose it's true

Take no notice. He has no notion of what he's scribbling.

• Advertisement

• It's funny that they're called Moon technologies though..

Advertisement