Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is there an issue with my magnolia ?

• 01-09-2019 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Thoughts appreciated - I have 3 Magnolia trees in pots & all are showing signs of this 'burn'.

What should I do, if anything ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Looks like some kind of fungal blight.

I would remove and dispose of the affected leaves (don't compost) and consider whether the plants are stressed e.g. in pots too small, maybe move them to a spot that has better air circulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Anyone been say cleaning a car nearby or washing the windows, something like that?

Looks like damage from something unsympathetic to plant life being spilled on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

my3cents wrote: »
    Anyone been say cleaning a car nearby or washing the windows, something like that?

Looks like damage from something unsympathetic to plant life being spilled on it.

No not at all - nothing spilled on it & planted with a mix of ericaceous & regular compost. I keep them well watered & have top of the container covered with bark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Could need a feed with some eircacious food, most compost only has enough nutrition in it for about 6 weeks.
    Other than that I would make sure you are not over watering & the pots have good drainage and also the trees are not getting too batter by wind which can cause wind burn.

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Could need a feed with some eircacious food, most compost only has enough nutrition in it for about 6 weeks.
    Other than that I would make sure you are not over watering & the pots have good drainage and also the trees are not getting too batter by wind which can cause wind burn.

Thanks will try that & share back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

If it wasn't some chemical damage to the leaves it could be damage from watering the plants in full sun and wetting the foliage. Bit extreme for that but watering in full sun can cause that sort of damage to leaves.

my3cents wrote: »
    If it wasn't some chemical damage to the leaves it could be damage from watering the plants in full sun and wetting the foliage. Bit extreme for that but watering in full sun can cause that sort of damage to leaves.

Thanks for that but never water the foliage, only ever the roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭standardg60

Ms2011 wrote: »

Agree looks like over watering to me, magnolias don't like wet roots

• Registered Users Posts: 8,626 ✭✭✭corks finest

fryup wrote:
    We always have a thread about the first cut of the year...but when do you good people do your last cut of the year?....my lawn is a bit tatty long in patches..should i cut it one more time or will it bring on moss if i cut at this late stage??

banchang wrote:
    Thoughts appreciated - I have 3 Magnolia trees in pots & all are showing signs of this 'burn'.

Colortrend elephants breath is far nicer-

Advertisement