Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chartered Engineer 2016

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Long Gone wrote: »
    A month ? ! ! - A week should be more than enough. You're not writing War and Peace....

Yeah but you do need to get signatories which can take a while

godtabh wrote: »
    Yeah but you do need to get signatories which can take a while

Yup, especially if your signatories/initialisers (hey a new word!) are based in other companies or in my case on the other side of the planet. Line them up early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

If I were to get chartered status in New Zealand as a fire engineer would that mean anything if I return to Ireland? Apart from looking good on an application.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

it is possible to transfer but best check with EI

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Shy Ted

If I were to get chartered status in New Zealand as a fire engineer would that mean anything if I return to Ireland? Apart from looking good on an application.

I think it depends on the industry. I don't know how your own industry reflects upon chartership, but I think its becoming more appreciated in Ireland across different engineering professions as more and more people apply for it. This thread is testament to the growth in its popularity.
    That said, its employees that are applying for chartership and their employers may not understand what it represents. That was the case for me.
    I work in mechanical design and there's little to no appreciation of CEng status in my area. When I tried explaining it to my boss one day I was met with a confused look, but he was happy as long as it wasn't costing him anything.

This is just my opinion, but it may better to remain chartered with an institution associated in your field such as the Institution of Fire Engineers (assuming you intend to remain in that field). The Irish branch of IFE doesn't mention chartership status, but the British one does and you could probably transfer through them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I'm going for Chartership next year, and my bosses are pushing to go for the January deadline. What I'd like to know is how strict they are on CPD times. I have plenty spread out over the last 6 years but don't meet the 5 days per annum for the last two years, or the suggested 3 days per annum on the training courses/postgrad courses. By the time I apply I'm likely to meet the 5 days for the last year, and 2 of the 3 for training courses (maybe 3 days), but not for the year before that. Will this hurt my application?

CPD can include everything from self directed reading / research to accredited postgraduate programmes and everything in between.
    Keeping up to date with relevant standards or new technologies in your field is CPD, it doesn't have to be formal training.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    CPD can include everything from self directed reading / research to accredited postgraduate programmes and everything in between.
    Keeping up to date with relevant standards or new technologies in your field is CPD, it doesn't have to be formal training.

It can but how much you can claim of each is limited i.e. you cant claim 10 days of structured reading as qualifying cpd.

It can but how much you can claim of each is limited i.e. you cant claim 10 days of structured reading as qualifying cpd.

You can claim as much as you've legitimately done. If it seems excessive time for a particular topic, you might get a bit of questioning on it, similarly if the relevance is in doubt.

If you can stand over the time spent, the motives for doing it, which can be to support future ambitions rather than current role, and maybe get into a little technical depth on the topic(s) then there shouldn't be a problem.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    You can claim as much as you've legitimately done. If it seems excessive time for a particular topic, you might get a bit of questioning on it, similarly if the relevance is in doubt.

If you can stand over the time spent, the motives for doing it, which can be to support future ambitions rather than current role, and maybe get into a little technical depth on the topic(s) then there shouldn't be a problem.

Read the engineers documentation

https://www.engineersireland.ie/EngineersIreland/media/SiteMedia/cpd/training/What-Constitutes-CPD-and-Corresponding-Time-Credits_2.pdf

That's pretty clear. I was basing my comments on a conversation in EI about upcoming requirements for CEng title holders to record their CPD and the guidance was to just record everything, most people will comfortably exceed the guidelines by documenting what they're already doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 kierc2014

Hi, I am thinking about applying to become chartered in the next while, I was talking to EI and I need to get my CPD hours up first, so it will be next year before I apply. But besides that I see the criterion 1 Design........ that may be a slight problem for me as I am a site based engineer with a civil company. Is there a way around this or anyone else in the same position?

Also thinking about doing courses to improve my further learning besides CPD, has anyone done this?

Any advice / opinions would be great.

You don't have to be a designer to be come a chartered engineering.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 kierc2014

I know that but I honestly dont know what I could write for that. I can make up something but I really dont want to cos if i get quizzed and caught out that will be that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

You don't have to be a designer to be come a chartered engineering.

The new guidelines (even for phase 1) are very much written in that way.

Simona1986 wrote: »
    The new guidelines (even for phase 1) are very much written in that way.

It maybe written that way but its the demonstration of competences that counts

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Just a question to the whiz kids out here...I have an accredited level 7 and 10 years good solid experience. In the past I was an AMIEI for about 3 years before I let it lapse. If I joined up again, do you think I will get approved by the MQB to progress to Phase 1. Talking to different people and getting different opinions.
    One person in the IEI says I should get it with 10 years, another tells me I would be wasting my time without 15 years. Has anyone gone this route and if so how many years experience did you have when you applied to the MQB with your 1400 word career summary/CV/Application fee?
    Don't want to pay €255 to join and another €50 to apply only to be told I don't have enough experience.
    Thanks

Ascii wrote: »
    Just a question to the whiz kids out here...I have an accredited level 7 and 10 years good solid experience. In the past I was an AMIEI for about 3 years before I let it lapse. If I joined up again, do you think I will get approved by the MQB to progress to Phase 1. Talking to different people and getting different opinions.
    One person in the IEI says I should get it with 10 years, another tells me I would be wasting my time without 15 years. Has anyone gone this route and if so how many years experience did you have when you applied to the MQB with your 1400 word career summary/CV/Application fee?
    Don't want to pay €255 to join and another €50 to apply only to be told I don't have enough experience.
    Thanks

Ring them. It would be difficult to give you an answer with the information you supplied.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Ring them. It would be difficult to give you an answer with the information you supplied.

That's the problem. I have got conflicting information from them. Just wondering from anyone on here who has gone from an IEI approved level 7 course and been successfully chartered, how many years experience did you have when you applied?

Obviously the roles you have had in you work career will dictate but an indication would be good?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ianwalsh2

Ascii wrote: »
    That's the problem. I have got conflicting information from them. Just wondering from anyone on here who has gone from an IEI approved level 7 course and been successfully chartered, how many years experience did you have when you applied?

Obviously the roles you have had in you work career will dictate but an indication would be good?
    Thanks

I assume you've had a good read through the Chartered Engineer Regulations (Link)

Looks like it's 15 years only if you have no formal qualifications, according to paragraph 2.2.1 (g):

(g) You have not completed an accredited master’s or
    bachelor of engineering (honours) degree but you have
    completed learning and development in your career
    that is equivalent to the learning required for a
    master’s degree (if not please continue to (h)).
    If you have successfully completed an Engineers
    Ireland accredited qualification for the registered
    professional title of Associate Engineer; or you have
    completed a qualification in a cognate subject area to
    engineering; or you have no formal qualifications but
    have an equivalent educational formation to that of a
    Chartered Engineer through experiential learning over
    a period of at least 15 years
    , you may apply for
    assessment under the experiential learning route. Full
    details of the eligibility criteria and submission
    requirements for the route may be seen in Section 5 of
    these regulations.

If you then go on to look at section 5.1.1 it looks like you're good to go with 10 years experience:

■ qualified from an engineering programme accredited
    by Engineers Ireland as meeting the educational
    standard required of an Associate Engineer and have
    over 10 years’ engineering work experience. This is
    normally, but not always, at Level 7 on the Irish NFQ.

OR

■ the registered professional title of Associate Engineer
    and have seven years’ work experience post
    achievement of the title.

I think e-mailing them for confirmation is the best bet - at least you'll have their response in writing. I've recently become chartered and found that they are generally quite quick and helpful when responding to e-mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Eternal Shotokan Student

Hi Folks, just wondering if anyone has any tips for the phase 1 interview, I am due to have mine soon. What kind of questions will they ask etc?

• Advertisement

What assessment route are you applying under?

Simona1986 wrote: »
    What assessment route are you applying under?
    Phase 1 educational standard towards Chartered Engineer. I graduated in 2009 and I have worked as a site engineer since.

Have you clarified your position with iei? If you have an accredited level 8 from 2009 you have already met the educational requirement of phase 1 and there shouldn't be any interview required?

Yes I have I forwarded all my details to the membership team. I done my Level 8 at Napier in Edinburgh after having studied for my Level 7 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 acerspader

Hi,

I was planning to submit an application this June but it looks like I won't get the report finished in time for the 26th June 2015.

The next deadline is last friday in January 2016, the only problem is that I maybe talking 6 months off work starting from Jan 2016.

So if I submitted my application say end of December 2015 and Engineers Ireland accepted my report and was called for and interview in say summer 2016 when I had just returned to work. Would not working for 6 months affect my chance of achieving chartership status?

Thanks.

acerspader wrote: »
    Hi,

I was planning to submit an application this June but it looks like I won't get the report finished in time for the 26th June 2015.

The next deadline is last friday in January 2016, the only problem is that I maybe talking 6 months off work starting from Jan 2016.

So if I submitted my application say end of December 2015 and Engineers Ireland accepted my report and was called for and interview in say summer 2016 when I had just returned to work. Would not working for 6 months affect my chance of achieving chartership status?

Thanks.

I wouldnt have thought so

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

acerspader wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks.

Take the guesswork out of it. Ask engineers Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

Anybody know how long it takes EI to revert after you've submitted the chartership application? Do they give you much notice and information to prepare for the interview stage?

MOTM wrote: »
    Anybody know how long it takes EI to revert after you've submitted the chartership application? Do they give you much notice and information to prepare for the interview stage?

June 2015 applications are currently being reviewed, some will be complete by now but probably not all. Assessors are asked to return a decision to proceed or not within two weeks of receiving the report. I expect it will be another few weeks for the candidate to be informed of a decision.

I know two applicants who wen't through the process at the same time last year and they were notified about progression to interview a couple of weeks apart. If you hear of somebody else who's got a call but you haven't, there is not necessarily any significance to that other than the review is a voluntary effort and it takes time to get all candidates reviewed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ianwalsh2

MOTM wrote: »

I think everyone's timeline is going to be slightly different, the interviews are spread out over a number of weeks and depend on the availability of the interviewers relevant to your application.

Just to give you an idea of how it went for me: I submitted my application on the 26th September 2014 and was informed 1-2 months later that I had been approved to proceed to interview and that they would be back in touch to organise in December/ January. I received an email on the 15th January informing me of a number of available dates in late January asking me about my availability and I then got a confirmation on 21st Jan that my interview was to be on the 26th Jan. It wasn't much notice but I had started preparing after getting the email on the 15th. Nonetheless it was a busy few days organising flights to get home and carrying out final preparations.

In relation to the interview itself, there are some good posts earlier in this thread which were helpful to me. Basically all you can do is prepare your 10 minute presentation and know your application and essays inside out. It is all about your experience so make sure you've got plenty of examples of where you've met the required competencies! Some of the senior engineers in my place were good enough to do a mock interview which was helpful. Be prepared for some typical job interview questions and make sure you've got a question or two to ask at the end also.

After the interview, the panel give their recommendations and it is discussed and verified at the next sitting of the board (generally held towards the end of each month). So in my case I had the nervous wait until the end of Feb, but luckily got the nod!

Advertisement