Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dampness

• 01-03-2013 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Apart from 'trying' to dry out the log on a car dashboard has anyone thought about how to preserve the logs?

I've thought about using rag paper (used in surveying and field books and not prone to getting soggy).

Good quality zip-lock bags are good for micro to large caches but as I live in Cork I find that the nano caches get shredded pretty quickly.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Vaperus

you can also buy waterproof pre made logs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I have seen people use packets of silica gel inside bags to aid in keeping the book dry. Seemed like a good idea.

probably work a bit for slight dampness but not for water logged caches

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Vaperus wrote: »
    probably work a bit for slight dampness but not for water logged caches

I agree, though once I get a waterlogged cache I think it is much better to log it as needs maintenance and have the cache onwner replace it.

• Advertisement

yeah if i have spare logs with me I usually try and replace them even if it means putting them in a little sealable bag. Other than that just log as needing maintenance

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

http://shop.memory-map.co.uk/acatalog/toughprint.html

I use this stuff (the A4 inkjet version) to print out maps and rote cards for hiking trips, and most of the long-distance challenge walks also use it for their control cards. You can write on it using normal biros, and van get it either as loose A4 sheets or as an A6 notepad. It's pretty strong too and virtually tear proof.

I actually bought mine of ebay, but sometimes they have it in the Great Outdoors in Dublin too.

Advertisement