Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Hill Climb? Cruagh - March 30th

• 16-03-2010 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

We had two last year, one up Kippure the start of the year and one up Three Rock at the end - maybe we should run another once the days get longer?

I would propose something like Tuesday March 30th (sunset 19:56), 6:30 first person off and up the 'Cruagh Climb' from point 4 to point 5 on the map. We would start at the bridge at the base of the climb - the top is where it levels out (a few sign posts on the left) 5.98km later...

Distance: 5.98km
    Climb: 325m

How does this sound? Any other suggestions?

It is a great climb as the first half is pretty sheltered (first 1.5km around 9-10%) - I do some of my testing on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭madrichie

Count me in Ryan :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Someone needs to come last, so it might as well be me. Count me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

el tonto wrote: »
    Someone needs to come last, so it might as well be me. Count me in.

That's my prize pal. Stay clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

In

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

We had two last year, one up Kippure the start of the year and one up Three Rock at the end - maybe we should run another once the days get longer?

I would propose something like Tuesday March 30th (sunset 19:56), 6:30 first person off and up the 'Cruagh Climb' from point 4 to point 5 on the map. We would start at the bridge at the base of the climb - the top is where it levels out (a few sign posts on the left) 5.98km later...

Distance: 5.98km
    Climb: 325m

How does this sound? Any other suggestions?

It is a great climb as the first half is pretty sheltered (first 1.5km around 9-10%) - I do some of my testing on it.

There's no race this Saturday so that could be an option rather than mid-week?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

ROK ON wrote: »
    That's my prize pal. Stay clear.

Will this end up with the two of us trackstanding on the hill in a bid to go slower than the other?

Then again, you could always cheat by getting lost... again. I'm not the first boardsie to lose their way in one of these challenges, am I? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Will this end up with the two of us trackstanding on the hill in a bid to go slower than the other?

Then again, you could always cheat by getting lost... again. I'm not the first boardsie to lose their way in one of these challenges, am I? :p

In our Swords one last year, some people got lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

No No No ... I am the lanterne rouge.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

There's no race this Saturday so that could be an option rather than mid-week?
    Might feel it in the legs if you are racing Sunday though? How did you feel after Kippure next day? I'd be on for this anyway, see how my capacity for pain is coming on.

@Ryan- what sort of time would you expect for yourself and Mel? I am guessing that Mel in particular is a fair bit faster this year? Will need to extrapolate with a multiplication factor but just to get a handle on how long we will be suffering for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

blorg wrote: »
    Might feel it in the legs if you are racing Sunday though? How did you feel after Kippure next day? I'd be on for this anyway, see how my capacity for pain is coming on.

@Ryan- what sort of time would you expect for yourself and Mel? I am guessing that Mel in particular is a fair bit faster this year? Will need to extrapolate with a multiplication factor but just to get a handle on how long we will be suffering for.

I wouldn't want to do an important race the following day but the day after that would be fine...

My time would be depended on the wind at the top - if it is still, sometime around the 15 minute mark - for Mel, if she is racing hard around 18... If there is a headwind up there, add another minute or two.

This one is pretty easy - at the T junction (end of the road), take a left up the hill... Simple :)

This one is pretty easy - at the T junction (end of the road), take a left up the hill... Simple :)
    Tonto is guaranteed to end up in Johnny Foxes.

I wouldn't want to do an important race the following day but the day after that would be fine...
    If done on Saturday the Bohermeen race is next day on Sunday... if done Tuesday evening there is no issue, I don't think the club leagues have quite started at that point.
    My time would be depended on the wind at the top - if it is still, sometime around the 15 minute mark - for Mel, if she is racing hard around 18... If there is a headwind up there, add another minute or two.
    So we are looking at ~50% more pain than Kippure, at a rough guess?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

If done on Saturday the Bohermeen race is next day on Sunday... if done Tuesday evening there is no issue, I don't think the club leagues have quite started at that point.

27,16min for me last week but never went anaerobic. So if I learn to accept some pain then that should improve.
    Now that ye have a front and back marker it should make it easy for everybody.

More importantly, last time Ryan organised this (Three Rock last September) the truffle hunters took all three spots on the imaginary podium.

We need to do something about that, it's embarrassing. And by "we" I mean the likes of Raam ("el culebra"), aidan_offbeat ("el araña"), and yourself ("el brooks inappropriato"), obviously.

I missed the last one, will see if I can get out for this.

The Snake?!

I was 9:30 (ish) up Kippure... so yeah... I guess - no steep last section though - the top part of this climb is pretty shallow. The toughest part being the start.

Raam wrote: »
    The Snake?!

Your stripey arm warmers warn potential predators that it really isn't worth bothering trying to chase you up a hill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

I'd be happy to do it the day before Bohermeen but if others don't then the original date is grand.

@lumen - LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

bah worst date for me(have to submit a thesis the following day..), on the upside i have a good excuse for not appearing/making tonto/ROK_ON look like pro's...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Yay! Pain! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

Another nice climb :)

Will try and make sure I come last....by doing it days, if not weeks, later :)

It is a nice climb though, with lovely views at the top. Haven't done it for a year or two.

ENJOY!!

Ryan, I presume we need a few volunteers for time keeping?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Raam wrote: »
    In our Swords one last year, some people got lost.

Hill? Swords? Where?...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Me ...

Yeah - one person at the top, one starting off at the bottom. The one at the top is really the only critical one as we can do something similar to the last time.

Remember - this is just a hard effort spin with some timing - you ride at your own risk etc... - not a sanctioned race!

ROK ON wrote: »
    27,16min for me last week but never went anaerobic. So if I learn to accept some pain then that should improve.
    I don't think you want to go anaerobic in a time trial whether flat or a hill climb, you want to stay just under. Still plenty of pain to be had!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I'd love to do the cycle, but tis a long commute from work in Swords.

However, if I were on the motorbike I could make it across by the start time. Would that be any use for volunteering / doing timings?

Advertisement