Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Corolla heater question

• 11-01-2019 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I've a 2001 Corolla which has just passed the NCT. It doesn't appear to have any coolant loss issues or suffer from major oil usage (maybe a litre every 2,000 miles).

Any mist or fog on the windscreen clears quickly enough with the heater but jaysus it's cold enough inside the cabin though. These days the heater has to be switched on constantly otherwise t'would perish a Dane. I don't think there's a draught, I can't hear or feel one anyway.

I wouldn't have paid much heed to this only we picked up a 2000 saloon Corolla as a 2nd runaround last month. It's lovely and toasty warm in there when driving, no need to switch the heater on - just turn the heat lever to red - and everything also seems fine under the bonnet.

Any ideas why the first yoke feels like a fridge by comparison?

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Maybe your heater matrix is clogged? Flush it out and replace the coolant too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Could be heater matrix blocked, control valve not working, thermostat not working or heater flap stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Does it take quite a while to warm up in the first place, and does it go colder the faster you drive - does the temp guage drop out on the open road or in colder conditions? Could be a result of the thermostat being stuck open meaning the system is unable to keep a constant temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

Thanks, lads.

Should've mentioned that engine temperature is generally fairly constant. Tends to warm up reasonably quickly, and the gauge needle sits halfway, almost horizontal.

The cabin doesn't get colder the faster the car drives, quite the opposite actually which I guess is normal.

I guess I'll have to go hunting on youtube to see about the heater matrix, I'm well out of my depth otherwise.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If your engine is going through 1 litre every 2,000 then it's fairly eating it. What oil do you use in it? I take it that it's a 1.4 vvti hatch?

• Advertisement

BOSTIK wrote: »
    Thanks, lads.

Should've mentioned that engine temperature is generally fairly constant. Tends to warm up reasonably quickly, and the gauge needle sits halfway, almost horizontal.

The cabin doesn't get colder the faster the car drives, quite the opposite actually which I guess is normal.

I guess I'll have to go hunting on youtube to see about the heater matrix, I'm well out of my depth otherwise.

Check the heater valve first as that is the most likely culprit and the easiest to sort.

Kimbot wrote: »
    If your engine is going through 1 litre every 2,000 then it's fairly eating it. What oil do you use in it? I take it that it's a 1.4 vvti hatch?

User manual states that a litre per 1,000 km is normal, considering that the car currently has about 330k miles on odometer I guess it's relatively abstemious, it never used any at all till it got above 200 on the clock.

It's a 1.4 vvti alright, but a Jap built saloon. These days it gets 10w40 oil, on mechanic's recommendation, a fresh change every 8,000 or so.

Gravelly wrote: »
    Check the heater valve first as that is the most likely culprit and the easiest to sort.

Cheers, hope you're right

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Change the cabin filter before anything else. This is usuall y never changed and ends up getting clogged restricting air flow

1 liter ever 2k miles is not out of the ordinary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

1 litre every 2000 miles is definitely not 'major oil usage'. It even states in the owner's manual that they can use as much as a litre every 600 miles (or at least it does in our 2005 Avensis). Those engines are renowned for burning some oil as they get older, it's nothing to worry about so long as you remember to check and top up every few hundred miles. Sure even when they've burning oil long enough to cause the malfunction light to come on with a fault code for catalyst efficiency below threshold (i.e. a knackered cat) they still pass emissions tests! It would want to be doing somewhat less than 600 miles on a litre of oil before an NCT emissions test becomes something to worry about.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Change the cabin filter before anything else. This is usuall y never changed and ends up getting clogged restricting air flow

I finally got round to doing this yesterday.

Janey, some difference, even with the sub-zero temperatures this morning.

Didn't even have to leave the fan on, once the car warmed up.

Delighted, good man JB.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

User manual states that a litre per 1,000 km is normal, considering that the car currently has about 330k miles on odometer I guess it's relatively abstemious, it never used any at all till it got above 200 on the clock.

It's a 1.4 vvti alright, but a Jap built saloon. These days it gets 10w40 oil, on mechanic's recommendation, a fresh change every 8,000 or so.

Well the 1.4 VVTI engine should be 5-30 semi oil and that will solve your oil been eaten. Had a few with the same issue and thats how I resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I'm not sure how a thinner oil would help reduce oil consumption...

I'm not sure how a thinner oil would help reduce oil consumption...

Go old-school and throw in a handful of sawdust ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Sawdust's for diff. :p

joujoujou wrote: »
    Sawdust's for diff. :p

True, but I've heard of a handful being used for leaks too!

I finally got round to doing this yesterday.

Janey, some difference, even with the sub-zero temperatures this morning.

Didn't even have to leave the fan on, once the car warmed up.

Delighted, good man JB.

No problem. Glad you got it sorted

Well the 1.4 VVTI engine should be 5-30 semi oil and that will solve your oil been eaten. Had a few with the same issue and thats how I resolved.

They go through 5w30 faster than 10w40 which is why I suspect some main dealers started using and recommending 10w40. I have used both and the 10w40 worked better even though none of mine burned much oil.

Advertisement