Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Camera Club

• 10-10-2012 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I've managed to wrangle Tuesday evenings off work and was considering joining the DCC. To be honest, I just want to meet with like-minded folk, use the studio and share and receive tips with other photo-enthusiasts.

I'm just wondering what people's experience with the DCC are. I know nothing about them at all, but before I attend, I'd like to suss it out somehow.

Are the classes worthwhile? What's the studio like and is it 24/7?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

mehfesto wrote: »
    Hello all,

I've managed to wrangle Tuesday evenings off work and was considering joining the DCC. To be honest, I just want to meet with like-minded folk, use the studio and share and receive tips with other photo-enthusiasts.

I'm just wondering what people's experience with the DCC are. I know nothing about them at all, but before I attend, I'd like to suss it out somehow.

Are the classes worthwhile? What's the studio like and is it 24/7?

If your around Sunday there is this happening
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056774341?page=1

All are welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Was a member for years. Great bunch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

I'm a member there for just over 2 years now. Why not just pop along any Tuesday at 8.00pm and see for yourself.

Visitors are always welcome and prospective members can get a "tour" of the premises afterwards and get to chat to memebers to get a feel for it. About 1/3 of Tuesday meetings are centred around regular competition and the rest of the time we will have guest presenters in - usually very informative. There is a full list on the web site www.dublincameraclub.ie of scheduled meetings.

But its not just about the meetings. There are a few outings during the year (Dingle, Mondello etc), a Beginners & Improvers Workshop, a Distinctions Workshop for people looking to do an LIPF, AIPF or FIPF, a Documentary Workshop and of course the studio, darkrooms and our twice annual 10 week courses - some of the best value in Dublin.

And a lot more!

BTW, I am not on the committee and have nothing to do with the running of the club, just a reasonably happy member.

Adrian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Thanks all.

Sounds great, but my current job means I'm working every weekend. Would I be missing much by not going on the outings, or the weekend shows?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

I'm a member for about 3 years or so.

Adrian explained well what's going on. After the meetings you can have coffee / tea upstairs, chat with people, get books from the library or go for a pint and chat across the road at Devitts... Oh, and Adrian didn't mention the Annual Exhibition for the month of July in Pearse Street Library where every member that submits is guaranteed at least one print in it.

As for the outings: not everybody goes on them. Luckily. As there are around 250 members in the club :cool: And not all of them turn up for the meeting either.

Not sure what you mean with "weekend shows"...? Or is that about the things mentioned on the website in the calendar? That is only attended by a few people and had mainly to do with the IPF / Distinctions so isn't necessarily organised by DCC.

So as Adrian said: Come along any Tuesday, check us out and decide then:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Cheezypuf

I did their beginners class a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it and learnt a lot. I would highly recommend the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭thefizz

I did a talk and presentation of my work in DCC last year and found them to be a very welcoming and friendly bunch of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Fruit1985

Website appears to be down. Anyone got any ideas why? This place still going?

Fruit1985 wrote: »
    Website appears to be down. Anyone got any ideas why? This place still going?

Its still going but the landing page for the web site has changed - try this

http://www.dublincameraclub.ie/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

dammit diceys has its 2euro all pints/jagerbombs on a tuesday, schedule clash :-(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Fruit1985

So what's the story with the Dublin Camera Club, does one just rock up on a Tuesday evening with the membership form and fee included? Are they a nice bunch? Does one going on their own find it easy to fit in? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

If I get out of the swimming pool in time tomorrow I might just pop in.

I really need to up my game and a club might provide the focus.

That, and I need to get my hands on a studio, which is where my main interest is.

So I signed up this evening. Couldn't stay for the slideshow but hope to start getting involved.

I think the last club I joined was the Dennis the Menace fan club :D

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

I was there this evening signing on for the beginners class as well, have been meaning to get out more with the camera but haven't really had a chance. The course should be good to get started and motivated, especially coming into the longer evenings and better weather.

The club is easy to find and a very convienent location, members are friendly and informative too. Looking forward to doing the class, is there many doing it?

Ben D Bus and OREGATO - welcome to DCC. Hope you find it a fun experience and learn loads!

I think you will find the course interesting (I haven't been on it but I have heard a lot of good things about it). I've been a member for about 2 1/2 years now and I find the members fun, friendly and helpful.

Anybody who is interested can pop along any Tuesday to have a look, without obligation (or pressure :-) ). There are still a few places left for the next course. You don't have to be a member to go on the course but if you go on the course you can get a full years membership at less than 1/3 the normal price!

members get to use the darkrooms (2) and studio for free. I look forward to meeting you both in the club (I'm the short fat, bald, bearded, freckled and middle aged guy).

Adrian

I didn't sign up for the course but am definitely keen to get signed up for the studio training.

I'll try to get to next week's event to see what the competitions are like (and how harsh the critiques are :) )

I went to this evenings meeting. It there always a full house? I was impressed with the attendance. And with the quality of some of the photos being judged.

And on reflection I signed up for the course too.

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    I went to this evenings meeting. It there always a full house? I was impressed with the attendance. And with the quality of some of the photos being judged.

And on reflection I signed up for the course too.

It wasn't overly packed tonight - some nights its a lot busier. Remember, there's over 200 members so you will usually get a good turn out.

I thought the quality wasn't as good as it usually is tonight (except for the winning shots). Probably because the closing date for entries was so quick after Christmas. The colour prints get judged next Tuesday.

Hope you enjoy the course :-)

BTW I looked for the "short fat, bald, bearded, freckled and middle aged guy" I'll have to ask you to be more specific :D

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    BTW I looked for the "short fat, bald, bearded, freckled and middle aged guy" I'll have to ask you to be more specific :D

That's because "short fat, bald, bearded, freckled and middle aged guy" could describe quite a few of us:D

I usually sit near the front - its easier to heckle:P

Just ask for Adrian - someone will know me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

I really must pop along to this in the next few weeks. Been meaning to join a camera club for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Just wanted to update this thread.

I started the beginners course yesterday evening at 8.30 and just wanted to share my experience.

Overall, I'm very happy with the first session. It lasted 1.5 hours and was a really good way to get into things. I've been 'into' photography on and off for the past 3 years so overall, I know some of the terms that were presented, but it's great in terms of a refresher course for me personally and I also think it would have been really useful for the people starting right out from the beginning (which is what it is designed for)

The presenter (who's name escapes me) was really good, taking the time to talk to me afterwards regarding a question I had about auto focus and depth of field etc. It was really well run and really nicely presented.

So just want to say a big thanks to DCC for arranging, looking forward to next week.

Advertisement