Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

KevIRL wrote: »
    Its still the least likely eventuality for us though as one of the other games must finish in a draw for it to happen. It would be desperately unfortunate for us to end up with 5 points and to still be in a relegation play off

Paddy Power make us 10/1 to be relgated, only Kilkenny at 12/1 have longer odds.

To be honest the team have done enough so far this season to deserve more confidence from us. Galway really havent impressed too much and seem to have gone back to fully relying on Joe Canning, if we can minimise his scoring next week then we've every reason to hope to be in a league semi final

Well from what i heard, if we did it to Lar, we can do it to the Joe show

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

robopaddy wrote: »

Wasn't at the game just wondering what peoples views on the goalkeeping situation is after today?

Iggy wasnt really tested save wise, Tipp just didnt get into any goal scoring chances, which is a great credit to the work of the backs. He was steady under a couple of high balls mind. His puck outs were okay, not outstanding though, put 2 of them straight out for line balls in the first half. Not a short puck out in sight today :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

9/1 to win the league lads. Surely that is a savage price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Well from what i heard, if we did it to Lar, we can do it to the Joe show

not taking credit away from our backs performance but lar isnt near the same player he was 2/3 years ago. Joe is at a different level and a much different type of threat. Hes guaranteed 9/10 points a game at least and stopping him from scoring goals might be go a long way towards beating Galway

O Riain wrote: »
    9/1 to win the league lads. Surely that is a savage price.

I actually think its a fair enough price, to ensure qualification we have to first draw or beat Galway, then win a semi final and a final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭randd1

Looking ahead to next week, the table is...

Waterford 5pts (-3 scoring diff)
    Clare 4pts (+6 scoring diff)
    Cork 4pts (+6 scoring diff)
    KK 4pts (+2 scoring diff)
    Tipp 4pts (-1 scoring diff)
    Galway 3pts (-10 scoring diff)

The final round of games is
    Waterford v Galway
    KK v Cork
    Tipp v Clare

So assuming that points difference settles any ties between teams, I'm not sure if this is the case and cant seem to find anything definite online but for the purpose of this post I'll assume it is

We qualify for the semi final if
    - We beat Galway
    - We draw with Galway
    - *We lose to Galway by 3 points or less and none of the other 2 games ends in a draw

We will finish 4th if
    - We lose to Galway by more than 3 points and none of the other 2 games ends in a draw

We end up in a relegation play off if
    - **We lose to Galway and any of the other games finishes in a draw

Think thats it, clear as mud really :pac:

* If that happens, Waterford will end up in fourth as Galway would qualify by virtue of head to head.

**That's the only possible way that Waterford will be in a relegation decider.

If the three games end in wins for any team, then no matter what, Waterford are safe.

And if something amazing happens and Waterford and Clare manage to win, then either Tipp or Galway will be relegated.

randd1 wrote: »
    * If that happens, Waterford will end up in fourth as Galway would qualify by virtue of head to head.

**That's the only possible way that Waterford will be in a relegation decider.

If the three games end in wins for any team, then no matter what, Waterford are safe.

And if something amazing happens and Waterford and Clare manage to win, then either Tipp or Galway will be relegated.

As I said I wasnt sure if points difference or head to head applied. So if H2H does apply then a loss to Galway would mean no semi final for us alright

As for hypotheticals, how about this...Waterford Clare and Cork win. The relegation playoff would be a repeat of last years All Ireland Final between Galway and Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭redlead

I actually started laughing when I heard Dempsey say on the radio that he fancied Waterford for relegation despite us being top of the league. No doubt that he also fancied Clare, Cork and Tipperary to beat Waterford (just like every other "expert"). Incidentally, I think that this is the fourth year in a row that Waterford were pre league favourites to be relegated, and here we are sitting on the top of the table and we are still expected to be relegated lol

I thought that Brick was immense today. If he only learned how to hit a ball with his hurley he would be one of the greats. Dillon, O'Halloran and Barron all impressed. Prender worked hard but looked tired towards the end. Sully had a great game also. I still have a worry about how hard we have to work to get scores from play. I hope this improves before the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

How did maurice shanahan and martin o neill play? Would love to know where they are going to find a place for noel connors in the backline, they've been absolutely brilliant so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭redlead

Yeah full back line was excellent today to be fair to them. Maurice was average enough to be honest. I'm not his biggest fan though so probably judge him more harshly than other players. He did well when he got the ball in his hand and won a couple of frees too. The problem is getting the ball into his hand. He is crap at winning high ball considering his height and he doesn't exactly bust his gut to get to breaking ball either. Martin O'Neill worked hard throughout and took his frees well. He didn't do anything special though. The other four forwards were the impressive ones.

• Advertisement

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    How did maurice shanahan and martin o neill play? Would love to know where they are going to find a place for noel connors in the backline, they've been absolutely brilliant so far

Neither particularly impressive really to be honest. O Neill put over 4 frees which is a plus, they were relatively straightfoward but still have to be put over. He was taken off midway through the second half. Maurice didnt do a whole lot, from memory, a good pass to Barron for the goal and he won one free. Just back from injury though, so hopefully can improve

As for hypotheticals, how about this...Waterford Clare and Cork win. The relegation playoff would be a repeat of last years All Ireland Final between Galway and Kilkenny

And another..

If Galway win and the other 2 games finish in a draw, then all six teams would finish on 5 points. Unlikely to be fair, but would be pretty mental if it happened

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

Deise_2012 wrote: »

well , rather than a starting 15 a starting 20 should be normal nowadays , remember how important it was against cork in 2010 and we fielded 23 player to win the munster title .

In otherwords,tis no harm in having a few reserves we'll need them come championshiop

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

Why are people so worried about how other people rate us?? Were better off with the tag as under dogs!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

shoddy14 wrote: »
    Why are people so worried about how other people rate us?? Were better off with the tag as under dogs!

Tbh fuck being underdogs.
    We shouldnt be hoping teams underestimate us. We should be making them fear playing us.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

God league Sunday is crap, not one clip or report from the game.

Surely RTE could throw up links to games they didn't broadcast so we could download them.

Does anyone know if todays game will be on TG4 or anything?

HillFarmer wrote: »
    God league Sunday is crap, not one clip or report from the game.

Surely RTE could throw up links to games they didn't broadcast so we could download them.

Does anyone know if todays game will be on TG4 or anything?

No cameras there today so wont be on the TV.

League Sunday was rubbish alright, not a single second of hurling analysis.

shoddy14 wrote: »

Agree 100%. Fukk em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Do you think they might have had any in the press box? Kinda scandalous if not. Have to say I'd be really disappointed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Chinpool wrote: »
    Tbh fuck being underdogs.
    We shouldnt be hoping teams underestimate us. We should be making them fear playing us.

Dead right. We're always underdogs against Kilkenny and it's never done us any good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

deiseach wrote: »
    Dead right. We're always underdogs against Kilkenny and it's never done us any good!

I doubt its because what analysts say when we play against Kilkenny is the reason we lose!

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Deskjockey wrote: »

haha Good stuff. Nice of them to include my youtube vid for the 2004 Munster Final

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Stayed up til 3am to listen to the game and I'm fcuking delighted I did! Well done lads, great stuff. Always getting a win over a team as good as Tipp is welcome. It seemed the willingness to win the dirty ball was there and the likes of Moran, O'Halloran, Nagle, Prender, SOS, Dillon all did very well, not to mention the backs-they have been excellent in this league. Once upon a time we leaked goals left, right and centre but we're able to keep teams out which is great to see.
    Scully deserves great credit to be fair, he's getting the best out of the lads.

It says on wikipedia NHL 2013 page that the top three teams in 1A qualify for the semis, how is this possible? Is it not like last year where the top team qualifies straight for the league final and then 2nd v 3rd in a semi? So basically, beat Galway next week and we're into a league final?

Cake Man wrote: »
    Stayed up til 3am to listen to the game and I'm fcuking delighted I did! Well done lads, great stuff. Always getting a win over a team as good as Tipp is welcome. It seemed the willingness to win the dirty ball was there and the likes of Moran, O'Halloran, Nagle, Prender, SOS, Dillon all did very well, not to mention the backs-they have been excellent in this league. Once upon a time we leaked goals left, right and centre but we're able to keep teams out which is great to see.
    Scully deserves great credit to be fair, he's getting the best out of the lads.

It says on wikipedia NHL 2013 page that the top three teams in 1A qualify for the semis, how is this possible? Is it not like last year where the top team qualifies straight for the league final and then 2nd v 3rd in a semi? So basically, beat Galway next week and we're into a league final?

Same as last year Cake Man. Top 3 teams go into the semi finals. 1A winner plays the 1B winner and 1A 2nd plays 1A 3rd

Last year the semi finals were KK v Clare and Cork v Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Do you think they might have had any in the press box? Kinda scandalous if not. Have to say I'd be really disappointed now.

None at all just photo coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

I think while its the best management possible that we could get for this job that they have a serious job on their hands all the same.
    He has a squad of talented sticksmen no doubt but there seems to be no willingness to battle for the dirty ball unlike Waterford today. While the old management werent up to the job if im being honest i think they had a job on their hands given some of the personnel they have to deal with. The likes of Lar and Seamus Callinan etc are all terrific hurlers we know too well but its not worth squat if you are getting muscled off the ball with little fightback

Fair enough, can see where you are coming from. There was no shortage of fight from Tipp in 2010 & 2011, at least when you came up against Kilkenny. It was a pity Sheedy & O'Shea stepped down when they did, I think it seriously dented the momentum built up. Is there feeling within Tipp that, that momentum can be regained, or is it a case of a valuable year having being lost I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭skaface

Think Kiaran O Connor said on WLR today that TG4 would be showing highlights
    of the match on Monday night, not sure what time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Actually I've just remembered that one guy with a video tripod walked by me as I was heading home. So there should be some coverage appearing somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Well the programme says there'll be highlight son TG4 tomorrow but Id say if theres 90 seconds of highlights we're doing well..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement