Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

League table looks something like this (think I have the points difference right anyway):

Waterford 5
    Tipperary 4
    Cork 4
    Kilkenny 4
    Clare 4
    Galway 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

League table looks something like this (think I have the points difference right anyway):

Waterford 5
    Tipperary 4
    Cork 4
    Kilkenny 4
    Clare 4
    Galway 3

Almost impossible to work the permutations out here but by my reckoning if we avoid a heavy defeat by Galway and the other two games dont end in draws, we'll avoid relegation and will finish at least 3rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Can someone tell me whether it comes down to points difference or head to head? If its points then we would have to lose by four to Galway assuming the other games are won outright to miss out on semis?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

fair play to scully and co..i personally think he's going to get better with time

and to think this time last year a lot of people on this forum wanted his head on a pike.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

doz wrote: »
    Can someone tell me whether it comes down to points difference or head to head? If its points then we would have to lose by four to Galway assuming the other games are won outright to miss out on semis?

Pretty sure it's head-to-head first.

• Advertisement

HillFarmer wrote: »
    Lads, I think Michael Ryan deserves a bit of credit for this season so far as well.

Don't know the man, but he clearly must be doing something right, glad to see us hurling well with such young lads starting and all the better to have a Waterford lad managing!

Funny listening to Tom Dempsey saying how Galway will beat us and we'll still end up in a relegation play off. These hurling analysts must get the shock of their lives anytime we win a match. Well done Mick Ryan, he's certainly proving a lot of people wrong, maybe some Sunday Ill open a newspaper and find someone actually predicting a Waterford win for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

Well done Waterford,ye're proving a lot of critics wrong in this league campaign!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

What are the other fixtures next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

WumBuster wrote: »
    Funny listening to Tom Dempsey saying how Galway will beat us and we'll still end up in a relegation play off. These hurling analysts must get the shock of their lives anytime we win a match. Well done Mick Ryan, he's certainly proving a lot of people wrong, maybe some Sunday Ill open a newspaper and find someone actually predicting a Waterford win for a change.

anytime i see we are predicted to win, I usually fill with dread, I can't be the only one

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

Kilkenny v Cork,Tipperary v Clare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭blue note

An incredibly stupid prediction. Galway to beat us say 50 percent like. There's been one draw in the division in twelve games, so the chances of one of those games ending in a draw is about 15 percent. Then we'd have to lose the playoff, say another 50 percent game. The chance of all 3 happening is about 4 percent. I know the figures I've just decided on, but relegation, while possible, is highly unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Deskjockey wrote: »
    What are the other fixtures next week?

Tipp v Clare and KK v Cork

We are safe from relegation if none of the 2 games above finish in a draw.

From listening to the radio they seemed to think that scoring difference would decide placings and not head to head. If that is the case then we will be in the semi finals if we avoid a heavy defeat to Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Almost impossible to work the permutations out here but by my reckoning if we avoid a heavy defeat by Galway and the other two games dont end in draws, we'll avoid relegation and will finish at least 3rd.

As long as there is no last round draw in the other games Waterford will finish at least 4th.
    Does 4th qualify for a league semi final?

blue note wrote: »
    An incredibly stupid prediction. Galway to beat us say 50 percent like. There's been one draw in the division in twelve games, so the chances of one of those games ending in a draw is about 15 percent. Then we'd have to lose the playoff, say another 50 percent game. The chance of all 3 happening is about 4 percent. I know the figures I've just decided on, but relegation, while possible, is highly unlikely.

There's been 2 draws blue note, also been a bunch of 1 point games. I wouldnt rule out a draw in any of the games next weekend.

I agree its unlikely and listening to Tom Dempsey in the car on the way home annoyed the hell out of me, its not that hard to work out ffs.

As long as there is no last round draw in the other games Waterford will finish at least 4th.
    Does 4th qualify for a league semi final?

No, 4th means your league is over and no more competitive hurling until the championship. Its where we finished last year and the biggest drawback to the current format of the league in my opinion is that one 1A team ends up in limbo land just as the sod is firming up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

any idea why Dungarvan's Shane Kearney isn't getting a run on the waterford team??? surely he's more than earned a shot at it, following his great senior hurling campaign last year???

Who would you have him on ahead of? Couldn't fault anybody from 2-9 over the last 4 games really.

Did he not say that Cork and Galway would be in the relegation final, thought that was what he said.

Who would you have him on ahead of? Couldn't fault anybody from 2-9 over the last 4 games really.

Did he not say that Cork and Galway would be in the relegation final, thought that was what he said.

yes but he came back later and ''changed his mind'' and said it would be us and Cork. He wasnt even sure of the last week's fixtures which tells it own story. The most likely scenario is Cork and Clare in the relegation play off if they lose both their games next week. A draw in one of the other games could put a spanner in the works But of course the only sure way is for us to qualify is to win next week which should be our only focus.

Anyway to the match. Obviously great to get the win, its really impressive how this team digs in and sticks with it right to the end and they do seem to finish games strongly. Defence again very impressive, The Brick MOTM for me, Ryan said afterwards he's playing the hurling of his life and gotta agree with that.

Our struggle to get scores is a big concern and will be amplified on a better sod later in the year. Hopefully the promise shown by Barron, Dillon and Halloran will continue and turn into more scores on the better sod also. Actually speaking of sod, hats off to the groundsmen in Walsh Park for having such a fantastic playing surface today after all that rain.

Some of our freetaking options were poor and again the tendancy to leave possible scores in on the keeper was frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

yes but he came back later and ''changed his mind'' and said it would be us and Cork.

Sounds a bit of a spoofer to me, and amongst hurling 'analysts' that makes him pretty eh, special :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Tremendous win, our first against Tipp since 2008 so huge from that perspective. It was great to see the fight and effort the team put in. At half time, I reckoned we'd win it though I was a bit wary of Tipp's subs. We were poor though for a good 20 minutes in the second half, the ball going into the forwards wasn't great. To be fair to Iggy, he didn't make any big mistakes, kept a ball out from off the line and was very brave and won his free in the first half and was left the worst of it. I still think though that nobody can match the trajectory of Stephen O'Keeffe's puckouts.

Thought Brian O Halloran played well through out and was surprised to see him taken off, but funnily enough we had only started to get going around then. Paudi Mahony had a big impact coming off the bench, despite the two missed frees which was good to see. Shane O'Sullivan is playing really well, big addition who was sorely missed last year. The backs are playing out of their skin. 4 goals Tipp got last week, but none today and they never threatened. Brick has become my new hero, outshining Tony Browne and Ken McGrath these days (but I've a very short memory :p). They'd want to get construction under way for the statue they're building of him in Waterford at this stage, he's well worth it. (THAT catch, you know the one I'm on about. Amazing. And about 20 more besides. Phenomenal.)

Seamus Prender gets through a heap of work and kept us competing up there. Have to say I thought Jamie Barron was very good. Was listening to Mac Dara on WLR on the way in saying we'd nobody with an eye for goal, well I'm sure he was watching that. Super finish, and a great point second half. He's great to get the hurley in as well and put defenders under pressure.

The biggest the thing for me is that the team has won 2 games and both of them have been without Shane Walsh, who would have been considered our main scoring threat when Mullane left. With this consideration, it's scandalous the lack of credit they're afforded. Tom Dempsey said that Clare were the form team from Munster (suggesting that their was a team not from Munster that are the form team at the moment, which is not true). F*ck off like, we clearly are. We're top of the table, out on our own, and the game we lost we were well in it for most of it, we could easily have beaten Cork too.

All in all delighted, finished it out so well. Well done lads, nothing beats beating Tipp in my eyes really! :D

• Advertisement

Sounds a bit of a spoofer to me, and amongst hurling 'analysts' that makes him pretty eh, special :)

He gets on my nerves. He's a very passive analyst who dosent ever have any great insights and dosent ever seem to have much homework done only yeah great win for Waterford etc then just carries on joking around with the other people in the studio.

Chinpool wrote: »
    Ill take those margins :pac:
    Even if following this team isnt good for my health :o

Ha ha, indeed. Fair play to the way the team's battled valiantly, and looking forward to the last round of the league :)

Congratulations on today lads. Tbh 1 point defeat flattered us had ye been a bit more efficient in the first half ye would have won alot handier

Congratulations on today lads. Tbh 1 point defeat flattered us had ye been a bit more efficient in the first half ye would have won alot handier

Fair play for the sporting comment. Only gotten to listen to the game on radio, and haven't seen much of Tipp this league, what's your feeling on this Tipp team since the changeover in management..

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

So friggen happy, Zomgggggggggggggggg

It may aswell have been a championship match Im so excited, dunno has this ever happened before haha!
    Woooooo, from favourites for relegation to top of the table with a game to go, wooooo :D:D

Fair play for the sporting comment. Only gotten to listen to the game on radio, and haven't seen much of Tipp this league, what's your feeling on this Tipp team since the changeover in management..

I think while its the best management possible that we could get for this job that they have a serious job on their hands all the same.
    He has a squad of talented sticksmen no doubt but there seems to be no willingness to battle for the dirty ball unlike Waterford today. While the old management werent up to the job if im being honest i think they had a job on their hands given some of the personnel they have to deal with. The likes of Lar and Seamus Callinan etc are all terrific hurlers we know too well but its not worth squat if you are getting muscled off the ball with little fightback

Looking ahead to next week, the table is...

Waterford 5pts (-3 scoring diff)
    Clare 4pts (+6 scoring diff)
    Cork 4pts (+6 scoring diff)
    KK 4pts (+2 scoring diff)
    Tipp 4pts (-1 scoring diff)
    Galway 3pts (-10 scoring diff)

The final round of games is
    Waterford v Galway
    KK v Cork
    Tipp v Clare

So assuming that points difference settles any ties between teams, I'm not sure if this is the case and cant seem to find anything definite online but for the purpose of this post I'll assume it is

We qualify for the semi final if
    - We beat Galway
    - We draw with Galway
    - We lose to Galway by 3 points or less and none of the other 2 games ends in a draw

We will finish 4th if
    - We lose to Galway by more than 3 points and none of the other 2 games ends in a draw

We end up in a relegation play off if
    - We lose to Galway and any of the other games finishes in a draw

Think thats it, clear as mud really :pac:

Well a relegation play off isnt hugely unlikely as it first appeared, hope Tom Dempsey dosent prove me wrong!

Well a relegation play off isnt hugely unlikely as it first appeared, hope Tom Dempsey dosent prove me wrong!

Its still the least likely eventuality for us though as one of the other games must finish in a draw for it to happen. It would be desperately unfortunate for us to end up with 5 points and to still be in a relegation play off

Paddy Power make us 10/1 to be relgated, only Kilkenny at 12/1 have longer odds.

To be honest the team have done enough so far this season to deserve more confidence from us. Galway really havent impressed too much and seem to have gone back to fully relying on Joe Canning, if we can minimise his scoring next week then we've every reason to hope to be in a league semi final

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Tom Dempsey said that Clare were the form team from Munster (suggesting that their was a team not from Munster that are the form team at the moment, which is not true).

I heard that aswell I remember thinking wat do we have to do to get some credit like... look at the league table. every other county has had an off day I think we have played consistently well even when beaten. I wouldnt be too worried about Tom Dempsey and the likes though Im quietly happy about being constantly written off that suits us traditionally.
    I think the likes of Dempsey dosent appreciate that we have some seriously talented hurlers coming through. Just because we havent been winning all around at underage level dosent mean that we have some smashing lads there. Basically he dosent know his stuff.

As you said it was important to get a win over Tipp aswell weve a bad record against them in the last few years. I definetly think we'd have a lot less fear of them in a championship game now having won this game in this fashion.

Wasn't at the game just wondering what peoples views on the goalkeeping situation is after today?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement