Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Management Company changing bin collection frequency

• 27-07-2018 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Have just moved into a new build. Our home is right beside the bin sheds and bins are currently collected weekly. No issues so far however now the management company have decided they will be collected fortnightly. Obviously penny pinching. Does anyone know how we would go about getting this decision reversed, I'm on a whatsapp group with a number of residents who have also complained....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,435 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Bring it up at the next AGM - as an owner *you* (and the other ownsers) are the management company so can make these decisions - usually goes by a majority vote at meetings, but there may be other channels for more immediate action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

All bins fortnightly or certain types? My green/brown and black alternate on a fortnightly schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Bring it up at the next AGM - as an owner *you* (and the other ownsers) are the management company so can make these decisions - usually goes by a majority vote at meetings, but there may be other channels for more immediate action.
    You are a member of the Management Company but you have either a Manangement Agent or your own members on a Committee to manage the property.
    If it is an issue that iscausing difficulty you and others should raise it sooner rather than later. There should be a line of communication and find out what the reason for the change is. A two week gap between domestic refuse cleaning, particularly in the present heatwave seems excessive.
    I would venture a guess that this proposal came from the refuse company rather than the manangement company

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭xalot

TallGlass wrote: »
    All bins fortnightly or certain types? My green/brown and black alternate on a fortnightly schedule.

All bins. I wouldn't mind recycling but ordinary waste and nappies cannot sit in this heat for two weeks.

The AGM wont be until the end of the year I'd imagine and this cant wait. What entitlement do we have to demand the household waste be collected weekly - if we approach as a group?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Xterminator

yes you should propose the mgmt company explain what the cost difference is and how much extra every resident would have to pay, in the mgmt fee to keep weekly bin collections.

Then you can convince all your fellow residents of the benefits to them of paying the extra cost to keep the service weekly. Shouldn't be a problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

xalot wrote: »
    All bins. I wouldn't mind recycling but ordinary waste and nappies cannot sit in this heat for two weeks.

The AGM wont be until the end of the year I'd imagine and this cant wait. What entitlement do we have to demand the household waste be collected weekly - if we approach as a group?

You can call an EGM if you get enough owners to agree. If you're willing to pay more they'll collect more often.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

If they decided to change the frequency without an AGM, they can reverse it without another meeting. This sort of decision doesn't normally require a vote.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Xalot, you say you are in a whatsapp group with other residents, rather than owners, do you own the home or are you a tenant.

If you own the home, contact the MC for information about collection. I know where we are, the bin collection company changed collection dates from weekly to fortnightly so it may be a change in collection frequency by the bin company.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,382 ✭✭✭✭listermint

My bins are collected alternately fortnightly meaning recycling one week the general waste the next.

This heat had no impact on the bins whatsoever.

In fact my house is a bit of a suntrap in a sense there is shade nowhere. If heat were an impact then I'd know immediately.

If your that concerned it may be a signal to cut down on your waste. The average small family shouldn't need a bin weekly there's something wrong there.

pinkypinky wrote: »
    If they decided to change the frequency without an AGM, they can reverse it without another meeting. This sort of decision doesn't normally require a vote.

In my experience, anything which halves/doubles the costs of a utility for everyone does require a vote. Owners get upset when subscriptions go up because of decisions made without them being informed and having a chance to vote on it.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    My bins are collected alternately fortnightly meaning recycling one week the general waste the next.

This heat had no impact on the bins whatsoever.

In fact my house is a bit of a suntrap in a sense there is shade nowhere. If heat were an impact then I'd know immediately.

If your that concerned it may be a signal to cut down on your waste. The average small family shouldn't need a bin weekly there's something wrong there.

I think ops house is beside a bin shed where all waste for development is stored and collected.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,382 ✭✭✭✭listermint

davo10 wrote: »
    I think ops house is beside a bin shed where all waste for development is stored and collected.

Have they explicitly said that was the problem?

It sounds like they were more concerned about there own waste .

But if that is the problem I'm not convinced weekly would make a difference.when I had an apartment the bin store was just alwayd smelly and that was picked up weekly without fail.

It's just a smelly place. Proximity rather than frequency would be the problem there. Cheaper house I presume ?

listermint wrote: »
    Have they explicitly said that was the problem?

It sounds like they were more concerned about there own waste .

But if that is the problem I'm not convinced weekly would make a difference.when I had an apartment the bin store was just alwayd smelly and that was picked up weekly without fail.

It's just a smelly place. Proximity rather than frequency would be the problem there. Cheaper house I presume ?

Yip, it's second line of opening post and folowing post about nappies etc in the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

davo10 wrote: »
    In my experience, anything which halves/doubles the costs of a utility for everyone does require a vote. Owners get upset when subscriptions go up because of decisions made without them being informed and having a chance to vote on it.
    Every Manangement Company should either have employed an Managing Agent or elect Directors to manage the property. They are perfectly within their rights to do what they think is necessary in the proper management of the apartment complex. If the owners are not satisfied they can raise it at an A.G.M. or E.G.M. The Directors can then justify their actions.
    You cannot have a situation where the manangement company have to go back to the owners for every decision. Why elect them if that was the case

Edgware wrote: »
    Every Manangement Company should either have employed an Managing Agent or elect Directors to manage the property. They are perfectly within their rights to do what they think is necessary in the proper management of the apartment complex. If the owners are not satisfied they can raise it at an A.G.M. or E.G.M. The Directors can then justify their actions.
    You cannot have a situation where the manangement company have to go back to the owners for every decision. Why elect them if that was the case

Actually, MC's have very few decisions to make, tenders are sought for manual services, insurance is usually the lowest quote that covers the requirements and utilities are with the lowest cost providers. All this comes up at the AGM and any decisions to be made are voted upon by the members, not made by the directors. If there are a number of bin collection companies, in my experience, this is voted upon and depends on cost and frequency of collection. Members would be notified of change in frequency, if this was due to the bin collector changing rota, then the MC did not make the decision. If the new rota was agreed at the last AGM, then the op will have to wait until the next one to bring it up unless he/she can force an EGM. If the reduction in frequency saves a lot of money, the op may struggle to get other owners to go back to a more expensive and perhaps even un necessary weekly collection.

Advertisement