Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can't find a single trace of my fathers birth

• 23-07-2016 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

I lost contact with my father a year after I was born, he is down on my birth certificate as James Paul Ruddy, born in the Irish Republic, I know he was born and lives in County Mayo *modsnip*. I do have my parents marriage certificate as well, he is 26 years old and they were married 1990, so that would put his birth in 1963/64. I've paid the 20 Euro to the Registry in Roscommon, they literally could not find any record.

I know his own father was Patrick Ruddy, and believe his mothers first name is Anne *modsnip*

Anyone have any suggestions or help, I've tried all the usual sources, findmypast, familysearch etc. Ancestry is giving me no hints, I literally have a dad that has no traces anywhere!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

Google search his name and "Mayo".. A Paul James Ruddy comes up *modsnip*

Out of curiosity, why bring the Roscommon office into the investigation?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Can I ask is it specifically his birth record your looking for or are you trying to make contact with him?
    CPTM wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, why bring the Roscommon office into the investigation?

Because it's the head office of the General Register Office?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

Hermy wrote:
    Because it's the head office of the General Register Office?

I see - thank you!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

OP, please clarify if you are looking for living people or tracing your ancestry.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Natonstan

Thanks for all the replies, yes Roscommon as it's the head office.

I am simply trying to find a birth record/birth certificate for my own personal research purposes, I am not looking for an actual address, *modsnip*
    I know 100% he is still alive.

• Advertisement

Alright then, if the GRO has not been able to assist you at their HQ, it might be worth ascertaining which sub-division of Mayo his birth would have been registered in and ringing them to check directly. It's possible they omitted a birth by accident when sending the quarterly records. It's not very likely: by the 1960s, we should have 100% coverage. Looking at a map, I'd guess Bangor in the Belmullet registration district.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Alright then, if the GRO has not been able to assist you at their HQ, it might be worth ascertaining which sub-division of Mayo his birth would have been registered in and ringing them to check directly. It's possible they omitted a birth by accident when sending the quarterly records. It's not very likely: by the 1960s, we should have 100% coverage. Looking at a map, I'd guess Bangor in the Belmullet registration district.

I'd say the Belmullet registration would be right, I've been searching online but can't for the life of me work out how to contact Belmullet directly, I've had people tell me to contact Castlebar for Mayo birth records, would that be right? Or does Belmullet have it's own office?

I see what you mean: the civil registration website only lists Castlebar for Mayo. Start there and ask them for the Belmullet number.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Any chance the wrong age is on the marriage cert? Here's a James Ruddy, b. 1952, Mother's surname Gaughan:
    Name James Ruddy
    Event Type Birth
    Event Date Jan - Mar 1952
    Event Place Belmullet, Ireland
    Registration Quarter and Year Jan - Mar 1952
    Registration District Belmullet
    Mother's Maiden Name Gaughan
    Volume Number 4
    Page Number 50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Should there be this amount of detail about a living person on a public forum?

• Advertisement

Bowwow - if you have a problem, please report the post rather than trying to moderate yourself.

You'll see above that I clarified with the OP above that he is engaged in genealogy rather than trying to make contact with his father. Birth certs are public records, whether the person is alive, dead, famous or obscure.

Genealogy Forum Mod

What amount of information?
    This is all public domain like entries in the phone book.

Too slow!:o

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

KildareFan-curious what is the source of that information?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The LDS indices go to 1958 so probably Familysearch.

KildareFan wrote: »
    Any chance the wrong age is on the marriage cert? Here's a James Ruddy, b. 1952, Mother's surname Gaughan:
    Name James Ruddy
    Event Type Birth
    Event Date Jan - Mar 1952
    Event Place Belmullet, Ireland
    Registration Quarter and Year Jan - Mar 1952
    Registration District Belmullet
    Mother's Maiden Name Gaughan
    Volume Number 4
    Page Number 50

I actually got the birth cert for the above person sent out to me from the Roscommon office, the one difference is that that person's middle name is james PATRICK Ruddy, and my own birth cert says Paul, now I'm not 100% sure but is it even possible for him to have put a different middle name down?

Obviously if that is the same person his marriage cert is out by 10 years, but the cert I have has been handwritten so you never know

In terms of privacy, everything I've posted here, or that anyone else has posted here can be found online, this is strictly for my own family research, I am not in contact with my father, and I haven't been my entire life, I am simply trying to trace my roots on that side of the family as my tree is really lop-sided at the moment

Natonstan wrote: »
    ...I am simply trying to trace my roots on that side of the family as my tree is really lop-sided at the moment

As an adopted person searching for my past I can relate to that.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I've managed to find out his mothers maiden name may be Carey, and this person here is my dads older brother: *modsnip*

Still no record on there for James himself...

Mod note:
    We're getting into more people who are still alive now, and I'm going to close the thread.

One final point: if you get the civil certificate for your parents marriage in 1990, it should name all four of your grandparents on it, including the grandmothers' maiden names. This information has been standard on civil certs since the mid 1960s.

Genealogy Forum Mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement