Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

what do we do when we get acceess to vaccine? i presume we will still have level 3 restrictions. will the government keep these levels forever now, like use level 3 for winter flu season every year or two?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Dickie10 wrote: »
    what do we do when we get acceess to vaccine? i presume we will still have level 3 restrictions. will the government keep these levels forever now, like use level 3 for winter flu season every year or two?

To what end? All of this is terrible for the overall economy. Once it's safe for this to end, it ends. Eventually it will just be a bit of a weird memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I found this it makes some very good points. A Vaccine isn't going to end the pandemic. Not for some years.
    He said those hoping for a breakthrough to end the pandemic would be disappointed, with some vaccines likely to reduce the risk of Covid-19 infection by only 30%.

"None of the trials currently under way are designed to detect a reduction in any serious outcome such as hospital admissions, use of intensive care, or deaths," he said.

"Nor are the vaccines being studied to determine whether they can interrupt transmission of the virus."

A linked editorial in the BMJ medical journal comments on the release of the Covid-19 vaccine trial protocols.

30% isn't going to end the need for lockdowns.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1022/1173108-covid-19-vaccine-effectiveness/

I think people need to lower their expectations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dressoutlet

I found this it makes some very good points. A Vaccine isn't going to end the pandemic. Not for some years.

This was previously discussed.
    This is an opinion piece. Given by someone who has not seen any data because the trials are still ongoing. It's literally as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Fantastic news about J&J today. The participant had a stroke which was not linked to the vaccine itself.
    Well ...sobering news for the man and family. Reassuring news for the rest of us....everyone counts!

:)

I hope he is ok!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Where has this 30% thing come from?

Obviously we'd all love for it to give 100% immunity, but my main reason for thinking the efficiency must be decent is the amount of money the companies have spent on it.

Surely to god there's no way in hell that Pfizer would had spent over 2 billion, on the logistical aspects of their product, if it only offered immunity to a mere 30% of the users.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

An opinion piece which suits RTE's harbinger of doom drumbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Managing director of Pfizer Ireland just so happens to be named Paul Reid.

Meanwhile HSE Paul Reid, has said a "population distribution" plan is being developed to decide how a potential vaccine will be released here

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/first-batch-of-covid-19-vaccine-may-be-ready-to-go-within-weeks-39662400.html

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

serious clickbait from the indo today as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

JDD wrote: »
    I agree.

I think the permanent changes that might come from this pandemic is that more people will work from home, and you might be more likely to step away from a coughing or sneezing person in the shops or on a bus. That's it.

We had the Spanish Flu a hundred years ago. They had masks then. I don't see that that particular outbreak (which was way more deadly than this one) stopped people from hugging or shaking hands or gathering in large numbers.

The only permanent change from the plague is our fear of rats. And that was a 200 year long outbreak.

Everyone said people would stop flying after 9/11. And then Ryanair started. People forget quickly.

People want to go back to normal, and therefore they will.
    What I think will continue - not forever but longer than people imagine - is government restrictions. You mention 9/11. People, of course, resumed flying shortly afterward but the extra security checks remained and restrictions remained. After some IRA bombs in London in the early 90s, bins were removed or blocked throughout central London for years after.

Bishopsgate gets bins back 20 years after IRA explosion

If a vaccine does not eliminate the virus as people might have thought then we will have restrictions of various sorts to continue for a period longer than most would expect at this point in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭jackboy

Where has this 30% thing come from?

Obviously we'd all love for it to give 100% immunity, but my main reason for thinking the efficiency must be decent is the amount of money the companies have spent on it.

Surely to god there's no way in hell that Pfizer would had spent over 2 billion, on the logistical aspects of their product, if it only offered immunity to a mere 30% of the users.

Not sure if you are being humorous. Of course they would release it. There are several drugs on the market which are known to be almost completely ineffective and some do more damage than good. However, they were released when standards were lower.

A pharma company would release anything that makes a profit if the profits outweigh any potential risks to the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Forever?! Are you serious! You do realise the detrimental effect that would have on both society and the economy. Obviously these "levels" are a short term solution. Even if we never get a vaccine (unlikely at this stage), I don't see the restrictions lasting "forever". The fact that a vaccine is most likely on the way, coupled with effective treatments, will only accelerate the reopening of the economy. I accept that there will be some level of restrictions (some social distancing, mask wearing) whilst the vaccine is being distributed, etc. but to think that such measures will be with us forever is unrealistic to say the least. Stay away from RTE would be my advice!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

on one guys opinion :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Forever?! Are you serious! You do realise the detrimental effect that would have on both society and the economy. Obviously these "levels" are a short term solution. Even if we never get a vaccine (unlikely at this stage), I don't see the restrictions lasting "forever". The fact that a vaccine is most likely on the way, coupled with effective treatments, will only accelerate the reopening of the economy. I accept that there will be some level of restrictions (some social distancing, mask wearing) whilst the vaccine is being distributed, etc. but to think that such measures will be with us forever is unrealistic to say the least. Stay away from RTE would be my advice!

‘some men just want to watch the world burn’ - Alfred, 2008

Have to assume most folk abdicating for restrictions forever more are trolling at this stage, they surely can’t think it in all seriousness. The societal and economic damages of long term social distancing and restrictions (beyond say Q2/Q3 next year) would be astronomical!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Le Bruise wrote: »
    ‘some men just want to watch the world burn’ - Alfred, 2008

Have to assume most folk abdicating for restrictions forever more are trolling at this stage, they surely can’t think it in all seriousness. The societal and economic damages of long term social distancing and restrictions (beyond say Q2/Q3 next year) would be astronomical!
    Very true, that's the only rationale explanation for the outlook of a few posters on here. Yet I still feel compelled to bite!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

manniot2 wrote: »
    serious clickbait from the indo today as usual

How ?

It lays out to someone who hasn't been following vaccine updates what exactly is going on.

Its far from the exclusive story they present it as but at least imminent arrival of a vaccine is being recognised

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

This 30% thing is the latest fake news from the anti-vaxxers. I don't know where they've come up with that figure, it's obviously not true.

Here's an optimistic interview in the past 24 hours with Francis Collins, the director of the NIH and one of the most respected health institutions in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,632 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Really promising news from the Pfizer Ireland CEO. Looks as if he has seen some data tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Really promising news from the Pfizer Ireland CEO. Looks as if he has seen some data tbh.

I share your optimism. I don't think he would have seen any data though, my understanding would be that Pfizer wouldn't see efficacy data until a threshold number of infections has been reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

hmmm wrote: »
    This 30% thing is the latest fake news from the anti-vaxxers. I don't know where they've come up with that figure, it's obviously not true.

Here's an optimistic interview in the past 24 hours with Francis Collins, the director of the NIH and one of the most respected health institutions in the world.

It's not fake news it's just RTE not knowing what they are publishing, but picking by default the most pessimistic view they can find.

The article refers to 30% reduction in infections , no mention of reduction in the severity of the illness in those infected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

If a vaccine does not eliminate the virus as people might have thought then we will have restrictions of various sorts to continue for a period longer than most would expect at this point in time.

Applying the metrics that were used in Ireland from June until September (when cases were as low as 14 per day)some restrictions will continue, until hospital capacity is sufficient.

With a vaccine, an acceptable realistic number of Covid deaths needs to be considered to remove all restrictions.

Right now that number seems to be 0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I share your optimism. I don't think he would have seen any data though, my understanding would be that Pfizer wouldn't see efficacy data until a threshold number of infections has been reached.

They could have already reached the number ,
    The only thing that is guaranteed time wise is the safety aspect which is X number of months and is due to be completed the end of November.
    They might have seen all other aspects and are just waiting.
    Hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

How ?

It lays out to someone who hasn't been following vaccine updates what exactly is going on.

Its far from the exclusive story they present it as but at least imminent arrival of a vaccine is being recognised

i meant the headline ' vaccine available within weeks'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What’s this news from Pfizer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Applying the metrics that were used in Ireland from June until September (when cases were as low as 14 per day)some restrictions will continue, until hospital capacity is sufficient.

With a vaccine, an acceptable realistic number of Covid deaths needs to be considered to remove all restrictions.

Right now that number seems to be 0

Of course its can't just be left loose on the non vulnerable population either. It won't have full efficacy on those at risk who receive the vaccine first and there will be those who will not be in good enough health to take the vaccine. There's only been a few 100k infectons in Ireland so far, to remove all restrictions means leaving the entire population exposed to the virus within months, even if the mortatily rate or hospitalisation rate per infected plumets to far low level of what it was, those rates x leaving nearly all the population exposed is still a significant load on the health service. You will still have some form or flattening the curve.

Say if an early rollout to the at risk reduced the severity and load on health service by half, that means acceptable incident levels can double but due the perpetual exponential nature of the spread that doesnt nessescarily mean restrictions that results in an r0=2(level 1-2) at the moment are good enough. The natural unsupressed reproductive rate of the virus was r0=6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

XsApollo wrote: »
    They could have already reached the number ,
    The only thing that is guaranteed time wise is the safety aspect which is X number of months and is due to be completed the end of November.
    They might have seen all other aspects and are just waiting.
    Hopefully.

I think if they had efficacy data, they would have published that as soon as they could? Maybe not though. Anyway, the next few weeks will be very interesting on the vaccine front, really optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

lbj666 wrote: »
    Of course its can't just be left loose on the non vulnerable population either. It won't have full efficacy on those at risk who receive the vaccine first and there will be those who will not be in good enough health to take the vaccine. There's only been a few 100k infectons in Ireland so far, to remove all restrictions means leaving the entire population exposed to the virus within months, even if the mortatily rate or hospitalisation rate per infected plumets to far low level of what it was, those rates x leaving nearly all the population exposed is still a significant load on the health service. You will still have some form or flattening the curve.

So the answer to the question about restrictions continuing in some form?

Yes, for a substantial amount of time in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Russman

I’m sure this has been discussed earlier in the thread, but is the expectation with the first few vaccines that they’ll reduce symptoms but not prevent infection ? Or are they expecting some level of immunity from infection, be it weeks, months or years ?

I’m just trying to get it clear in my head how transmission of the disease will be slowed/stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Russman wrote: »
    I’m sure this has been discussed earlier in the thread, but is the expectation with the first few vaccines that they’ll reduce symptoms but not prevent infection ? Or are they expecting some level of immunity from infection, be it weeks, months or years ?

I’m just trying to get it clear in my head how transmission of the disease will be slowed/stopped.

No, the current crop of vaccines will not protect from infection of the virus (Cov-2), but the hope is they will prevent illness (Covid). So vaccinated people will still get infected but hopefully will not get any symptoms, and thus not get sick.
    This alone is good because for us it means that less infected people will get sick so less strain on the health service.

In terms of immunity from the virus/reduction of spread, I don't think these vaccines will prevent spread from a vaccinated infected person. But, there is a chance that the vaccines could reduce how infectious a person is. The theory being that a vaccinated immune system will kill a lot of the virus in people bodies before it replicated to the point where they are shedding virus. This part is only speculation at the moment I believe but fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Sconsey wrote: »
    No, the current crop of vaccines will not protect from infection of the virus (Cov-2), but the hope is they will prevent illness (Covid). So vaccinated people will still get infected but hopefully will not get any symptoms, and thus not get sick.
    This alone is good because for us it means that less infected people will get sick so less strain on the health service.

In terms of immunity from the virus/reduction of spread, I don't think these vaccines will prevent spread from a vaccinated infected person. But, there is a chance that the vaccines could reduce how infectious a person is. The theory being that a vaccinated immune system will kill a lot of the virus in people bodies before it replicated to the point where they are shedding virus. This part is only speculation at the moment I believe but fingers crossed.

Thanks for the explanation

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement