Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest with Electric Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,757 ✭✭✭✭Basq

KathleenF wrote: »
    Don’t have to sign up or be an existing customer.
    Think you have to either switch to them or be an existing customer..
    Offer for new Electric Ireland customers
    Switch to us today and include your Nest Learning Thermostat for €130.

Offer for existing Electric Ireland customers
    As a loyal Electric Ireland customer you can spread the cost over 12 monthly payments or pay upfront for a Nest alone. You also have the option to include a Nest in with our Smarter Home Comfort Bundle.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭KathleenF

Basq wrote: »
    Think you have to either switch to them or be an existing customer..

You don’t. I’m with Energia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Ordered mine over a month ago and had them cancel on me 4 times now so be prepared to wait once you make an order

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

if you have never availed of one of these devices, FOC or discounted from an energy supplier, you might qualify to participate in this trial. They will supply and install their device FOC if you meet their criteria. I didn't as I had purchased a subsidised Climote from EI last year. My brother and sister seem to be eligible thou and are in the process of arranging an installation. Oh and before anyone has a go at me, I am not involved or associated with this company in any way.

https://www.thehubcontroller.com/trial

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Aquos76 wrote: »
    if you have never availed of one of these devices, FOC or discounted from an energy supplier, you might qualify to participate in this trial. They will supply and install their device FOC if you meet their criteria. I didn't as I had purchased a subsidised Climote from EI last year. My brother and sister seem to be eligible thou and are in the process of arranging an installation. Oh and before anyone has a go at me, I am not involved or associated with this company in any way.

Anyone done this? Seems like a good bargain.

Also don't understand how EI would set this up without you signing up with them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I.m signed up. Waiting 9 months for installation. Was meant to be last week. Now Jan it appears

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

Just ordered this today, thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I moved to Electric Ireland recently.

Signed up with their 200 cash back offer and then a week later when the account was fully active I availed of the 130 Nest offer.

The guy on the phone advised me to do it this way for the best deal

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kungfual

Is this Hub Alexa or Google compatible?

..barely any information on the website

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Can anyone else confirm that you dont need to be with Electric Ireland to avail of this because the website explicitly states that the offer is for existing customers or those willing to switch to Electric Ireland.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭davo2001

Thanks, in the process of buying a house so signed up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

Hogzy wrote: »
    Can anyone else confirm that you dont need to be with Electric Ireland to avail of this because the website explicitly states that the offer is for existing customers or those willing to switch to Electric Ireland.:confused:

Yes, I just ordered using link in first post and I'm a Bord Gais customer !

I couldn't complete order online because I got an error about installation availability but called the phone number given and was able to complete the order over the phone. Installation booked for 2 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Just ordered it there over the phone aswell. Jez this seems far too good to be true. Theyre €230 new and I was quoted €150 to install a few months ago.

I dont see the motivation for Electric Ireland to sell this to non customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,757 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Have a two zone heating system.. and have a Nest downstairs. Should be no issue in putting a second Nest upstairs, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭RonTon

Tyty OP ..
    Was looking to get a second nest for upstairs zone ,I got the first nest on an offer with electric Ireland couple of years ago ,now I can look for best prices for electric contract without having to get nest as package.
    Actually think Electric Ireland is best for me at moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Basq wrote: »
    Have a two zone heating system.. and have a Nest downstairs. Should be no issue in putting a second Nest upstairs, right?

Yep, I have the same set up now with two Nests

• Registered Users Posts: 7,375 ✭✭✭fletch

My parents don't even have gas central heating (they have oil) and I got Electric Ireland to install a Nest for them (although they are EI electricity customers).

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Picky owner

Can you get a nest installation,if your oil boiler is outside and you have one of them old push in timer clock inside the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭Raoul

Can you get a nest installation,if your oil boiler is outside and you have one of them old push in timer clock inside the house?

Exactly what I want to know too

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Reg_hurley

Is there a monthly charge for this after its setup?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

kungfual wrote: »
    Is this Hub Alexa or Google compatible?

..barely any information on the website

Both - however Google Home at least can't figure out the hot water channel as it's a feature only on recent EU models

To answer other questions - There's no monthly charge if you buy the 130 euro offer one. They will do some more complicated thing for a monthly fee, just ignore it.

Most but not all old on/off switches can be replaced.

Depending on what they replace there may be tradable carbon credits created and the deal is you agree to give them to Electric Ireland. This is why they offer it. They don't require you to qualify for credits though - I didn't as it was replacing a 15 month old controller

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Is it still available as i get this message
    We're sorry - there appears to be a problem with the technician's availability in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

How new does your boiler have to be to be compatible with this nest thermostat?
    My boiler is 16/17 years old so I presume that it is too old for this to work.
    Basically what I am asking is, how does this work 😂?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AdamB

As far as I know, every home built pre 2006 is eligible for a home heating control grant up to €700 though SEAI. When I asked EI on the phone if having a Climote control installed by them would effect any future application for a grant they were unable to tell me.

I was looking at getting a Honeywell control system installed by them which has grants amounting to over €1000 through their scheme. The Honeywell system I required would have cost me €800 in a shop. EI quoted me €1500 for the controls and installation with the grants applied. Something doesn't add up with them.

That being said it is not a bad price for Climote and Nest, but, getting any heating control system up to €700 for free with the SEAI grant would be better IMO.

I have a funny feeling someone is making nice money from this scheme.

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    Is it still available as i get this message
    We're sorry - there appears to be a problem with the technician's availability in your area.

I had the same issue, you'll need to call their home services department to arrange a technician call back.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭scano.ie

I've 2 zones and water so would need 2 but the price goes up to €400 could I just do 2 different orders maybe under different names?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Pique

How new does your boiler have to be to be compatible with this nest thermostat?
    My boiler is 16/17 years old so I presume that it is too old for this to work.
    Basically what I am asking is, how does this work 😂?
    Your existing timer switch is just that, a switch that turns on or off the boiler, based on a timer. These smart thermostats are basically removing the old switch and replacing it with some brains that turns on and off the boiler based on your preferences in the app (time, ambient temp, water temp, etc.) You could have it connected to any boiler (or none, theoretically you could have it connected to a guy on a treadmill prodding him to run and heat the house that way).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭davehey79

Raoul wrote: »
    Exactly what I want to know too

And me too

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭audi02

scano.ie wrote: »
    I've 2 zones and water so would need 2 but the price goes up to €400 could I just do 2 different orders maybe under different names?

I rang today and this is wat i was told...would 2 different orders work i wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Picky owner

Pique wrote:
    Your existing timer switch is just that, a switch that turns on or off the boiler, based on a timer. These smart thermostats are basically removing the old switch and replacing it with some brains that turns on and off the boiler based on your preferences in the app (time, ambient temp, water temp, etc.) You could have it connected to any boiler (or none, theoretically you could have it connected to a guy on a treadmill prodding him to run and heat the house that way).

How does it change the heat setting,if the old dial for adjusting the heat is on the boiler outside,just trying to get my head around it as the timer switch inside just turns it on and off..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Pique

How does it change the heat setting,if the old dial for adjusting the heat is on the boiler outside,just trying to get my head around it as the timer switch inside just turns it on and off..

That setting on the boiler is the water temp. I've literally never touched that dial since the boiler was installed. The indoor thermostat measures indoor air temp. It will turn on the boiler until the room reaches the preset temp and then turn off the boiler or just that zone.

Advertisement