Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chinese Android Phones 3 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭corkie

Thargor wrote: »

Is there any chance if I do go for one of these ones on Aliexpress that I won't be able to load a global Rom when one appears do you think?

I assume your talking about the Mi Max 3?

There is not global variations of these devices, so they come preinstalled with a global rom for EU market etc.

So I don't see what would prevent you from putting a Global rom when available on the device or even xiaomi.eu rom.

But it is xiaomi and with there recent release of ARP on RN5, and now that they have shareholders to answer to, can not take anything for granted.

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Thargor wrote: »
    I've had NFC for the last 4 years and I've used it exactly zero times, only a better screen would tempt me to wait for the Pro, but I am a bit desperate now, having to carry around a Xiaomi powerbank to keep my Oneplus charged.

Is there any chance if I do go for one of these ones on Aliexpress that I won't be able to load a global Rom when one appears do you think?

It should be released in India soon enough with a global rom. If your main language is English is Chinese you will be able to live with that useful guide on optimising the Chinese rom on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/roms/optimise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Afternoon all- I'm currently trying to decide between Mi Note 3 and Mi Mix 2. I know Mi Mix 2s is also available but for the additional cost it's probably not worth it for my use.

Any experiences with the above. Slightly favouring MI Note 3 after reading some good reviews, think I would prefer front fingerprint scanner and its also 20g lighter. But lack of Xiaomi update/support is slightly putting me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

The Xiaomi Red MI 5 plus came today. Serious phone for the money. Love the big screen/ general feel and ease of use. Hopefully Mrs H. will feel the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,862 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Mi Max 3 early review:

Whoever asked about speakers I don't think you'll be disappointed, he's raving about them! Camera sounds good aswell. Can't wait now, just a couple more reviews to confirm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭corkie

@Thargor Shared your post in the Mi Max 3 thread!

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

corkie wrote: »
    @Thargor Shared your post in the Mi Max 3 thread!
    We have a Mi Max 3 thread? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭cmac2009

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Afternoon all- I'm currently trying to decide between Mi Note 3 and Mi Mix 2. I know Mi Mix 2s is also available but for the additional cost it's probably not worth it for my use.

Any experiences with the above. Slightly favouring MI Note 3 after reading some good reviews, think I would prefer front fingerprint scanner and its also 20g lighter. But lack of Xiaomi update/support is slightly putting me off.

Anyone any experience with Mi Note 3? Specifically the lack of support for updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Skyfloater

Hi, I'm looking at the Xiaomi Mi8 on Aliexpress but like quite a few others, it doesn't have the 4G band 20, only band 8. I was wondering if this was a real stumbling block as I live in north east Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Skyfloater wrote: »
    Hi, I'm looking at the Xiaomi Mi8 on Aliexpress but like quite a few others, it doesn't have the 4G band 20, only band 8. I was wondering if this was a real stumbling block as I live in north east Wicklow.

In Ireland we use two LTE frequencies - Band 3 and band 20. Its not a requirement , but especially in rural areas , you be better off with both , I believe .

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,943 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Skyfloater wrote: »

According to kimovil the mi8 has bands 3 and 20

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Skyfloater

sydthebeat wrote: »
    According to kimovil the mi8 has bands 3 and 20

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I meant the Xiaomi Mi8 SE. It's a bit smaller than the regular Mi8.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Have been reading these threads for a while, but can't figure out which phone to go for! I am coming from about 6 years of HTC flagship ownership (from Desire to 10), but reckon Xiaomi is the way to go now for value.

I'd like a phone with decent battery life, preferably USB-C (not a deal breaker), an SD Slot, and no bigger than 6 inches. Which would be my best bet at the moment? The Redmi 5?

Have been reading these threads for a while, but can't figure out which phone to go for! I am coming from about 6 years of HTC flagship ownership (from Desire to 10), but reckon Xiaomi is the way to go now for value.

I'd like a phone with decent battery life, preferably USB-C (not a deal breaker), an SD Slot, and no bigger than 6 inches. Which would be my best bet at the moment? The Redmi 5?

https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare-smartphones

A great search tool

can you add to your requirements? any idea of budget?
    want pure android or MIUI (xiaomis android version)?
    are bands 3 and 20 a must for you? (kimovil is good for checking the bands on service providers in ireland)
    whats a decent battery for you?

from what youve posted so far the A1 or A2 would suit, which have android one as well

the redmi 5 has a poor enough chip, doesnt have band 20 and runs miui, which is reflected in the price.

do you mean the note 5 ?

https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare-smartphones

A great search tool

can you add to your requirements? any idea of budget?
    want pure android or MIUI (xiaomis android version)?
    are bands 3 and 20 a must for you? (kimovil is good for checking the bands on service providers in ireland)
    whats a decent battery for you?

from what youve posted so far the A1 or A2 would suit, which have android one as well

the redmi 5 has a poor enough chip, doesnt have band 20 and runs miui, which is reflected in the price.

do you mean the note 5 ?

Thanks. I don't mind spending up to about €300.
    Android would be better that MIUI would it?
    I'm with Three so would need band 3 and 20.
    Decent battery life would be a days mid/heavy use without having to think about charging.

Thanks again

Just looked at the Mi A2, and it looked good, but it doesn't have an SD card slot which is big drawback.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Decent battery life would be a days mid/heavy use without having to think about charging.

Thanks again

Just looked at the Mi A2, and it looked good, but it doesn't have an SD card slot which is big drawback.

Redmi note 5 Pro Global version is yer only man.

Thanks again

it does, it has a slot for SD expansion in the sim tray

it does, it has a slot for SD expansion in the sim tray

Great, thought that site said it didn't. Think that is the one I'll go for so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭dougm1970

Great, thought that site said it didn't. Think that is the one I'll go for so.

it looks great. camera looks proper good too. remember though, no headphone jack...although you can get an adapter
    oh...and surprisingly for xiaomi a smallish battery compared to their other phones, inc the mi a2 lite.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Gents, have a redmi note 5 on the way from banggood. Tracking in the app just updated to say that it's with an post customs. Any idea on how long I'll be waiting to hear how much I have to pay or how long it'll be before I have it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

You'll get a letter within a few days. Customs will ask for a copy of your invoice then charge you 23% of your total bill including shipping. I think there is a service fee on that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

fixxxer wrote: »
    You'll get a letter within a few days. Customs will ask for a copy of your invoice then charge you 23% of your total bill including shipping. I think there is a service fee on that as well.

Nice, I paid just over 200 for the phone after currency conversion, said I'd be happy enough if i got it home and cleared for 250.

anyone here fork out for the blackview bv 9500?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭budgemook

Hi, my wife dropped her redmi note 4 yesterday and the screen smashed into smithereens. Is it worth trying / possible to get it fixed around Dublin does anyone know or is it time for a new phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

budgemook wrote: »
    Hi, my wife dropped her redmi note 4 yesterday and the screen smashed into smithereens. Is it worth trying / possible to get it fixed around Dublin does anyone know or is it time for a new phone?

Most places will know that phone and have a price for it now. It depends on what they quote.
    maxburns, celticrepairs, ifixit among others should quote you.

Alternatively - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQazwoEssN0

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sderref

Hello,

placed an order with them 23rd July, today received the phone. Nice package and really fast courier. After 24 hours the item's movement was constantly updated.

Overall it was an excellent experience and would use them again.

Btw the phone is a Huawei P20 Lite (blue). It looks really good and come with charger-earphone and a transparent silicone case- perfect until the shock proof arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Need a new phone and looking at the Mi Mix 2s. Anyone have one who could comment on it. NFC, Wireless charging, full screen display and decent camera has drawn my attention to it. Would you recommend anything else. Also Goldway is significantly cheaper than Honorbuy $565 vs $502 inclusive of shipping. Do people still use Goldway?

Honor Note 10 press conference is finished and tbh it looks pretty damn good, about 40% cheaper than I expected aswell. It was making me nervous about my choice of the Mi Max 3 but no band 20 kills it for me.

https://www.mysmartprice.com/gear/2018/07/31/honor-note-10-launch-event-starts-watch-live-streaming-live-updates/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Budget €200

Min requirements
    3GB RAM
    5.5 inch
    Band 20
    NFC
    3500 mah
    Android 7 with update path
    Above average main camera

Any suggestions?

• Advertisement

Wombatman wrote: »
    Budget €200

Min requirements
    3GB RAM
    5.5 inch
    Band 20
    NFC
    3500 mah
    Android 7 with update path
    Above average main camera

Any suggestions?

https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare-smartphones/f_max_d+eurPrice.200,f_min_d+screenSize.5.4,f_max_d+screenSize.5.8,f_min_dr+value.3072,fe_bands-lte-b3-1800,fe_bands-lte-b20-800,fe_conectivity-nfc,f_min_d+batteryMah.3400,f_doba+slug.android,f_min_dobr+value.14

NFC is the big kicker there (7 choices)
    without NFC youd have 75 choices

Advertisement