Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Elections. The Constituency of Tipperary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Ambrose won't run again - she didn't run in the last one and supposedly can't afford it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭ Alexia Beautiful Baton

touts wrote: »
    SF took Healy's seat. No point in targeting it other than the desire to, shall we say, trade up from Browne.

I don't think FF will take a second seat and in fact will have a fight to keep Cahill's one. But Ambrose is the only feasible 2nd candidate they have. Goldsboro came across very poorly in the election (posters of a young polished, well dressrd lady and on the doorstep & social media she looked anything but). Image might not be everything but the difference was so stark it came across as deceitful. Farrell was an unmitigated disaster. Smith Jr might want to run again but he is in the North so no way Cahill lets him run. No one else they have stands even a slight chance. So it's a Cahill/Ambrose ticket or a Cahill only ticket which will not go down well in the South of the county.
    the point is they want more tds,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭touts

Ambrose won't run again - she didn't run in the last one and supposedly can't afford it.

Shows how far FF have fallen if candidates have to pay for their own campaign.

the point is they want more tds,

There isn't two Sinn Fein Seats in Tipperary. If they run two candidates that will be to replace Browne.

• Ambrose won't run again - she didn't run in the last one and supposedly can't afford it.

The party pays. Not the candidate. That’s why some cannot run as independents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭ Alexia Beautiful Baton

There isn't two Sinn Fein Seats in Tipperary. If they run two candidates that will be to replace Browne.
    how do you know? They will be looking to run more candidates and have more seats everywhere

• A new Sunday Times Behaviour and Attitudes poll suggests that support for Sinn Féin has increased substantially since the General Election on 8 February

That will probably frighten the sh#/e out of FG and FF...Micheal and Leo might cobble some kind of deal together..That would be more of what we had...To be honest,I dont think any of them have any answers..They are all good for the photo and the soundbite,thats about all...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

how do you know? They will be looking to run more candidates and have more seats everywhere
    look how long it took Browne to be elected. If he had got what Lowry got in first preferences then yes they might have a shot at a 2nd seat but no chance would a second get in. 12% first preferences wouldn't get near a 2nd seat and even a decent improvement on that wouldnt get a 2nd seat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

look how long it took Browne to be elected. If he had got what Lowry got in first preferences then yes they might have a shot at a 2nd seat but no chance would a second get in. 12% first preferences wouldn't get near a 2nd seat and even a decent improvement on that wouldnt get a 2nd seat

I don’t think anyone could compare any candidate to Lowry, in all fairness. If Sinn Fein found a candidate to run who looked a bit more poster worthy, for want of a better way of putting it, they could easily get elected instead of, or possibly as well as, Browne. Anyone I know who voted for him was voting for Sinn Fein, not caring really that it was Browne they had to vote for

• Registered Users Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

If Seamie Morris was still on the sf ticket he would be a racing certainty ,don’t know anything about brown and I’m betting most who voted for him know even less .imo he will be a very poor td ,as will many other sf tds around the country who were elected in simillar scenarios

• Advertisement

SF will take second seats where they have a strong first candidate capable of bringing in a running mate. A candidate with a strong local and national profile. A candidate people can see in the cabinet running the country. A candidate with the ability to convince his electorate that he is their best choice.

Browne is not a candidate with those traits. He might hold the seat because of the SF national profile. But he will almost certainly have a running mate and will be looking over his shoulder at that person.

jlm29 wrote: »
    I don’t think anyone could compare any candidate to Lowry, in all fairness. If Sinn Fein found a candidate to run who looked a bit more poster worthy, for want of a better way of putting it, they could easily get elected instead of, or possibly as well as, Browne. Anyone I know who voted for him was voting for Sinn Fein, not caring really that it was Browne they had to vote for
    did I say that they would. Sinn fein wont run a second candidate in tipp. The vote isnt in the county and would do more to damage Browne than get 2 seats many people who voted for him were voting for SF not the person which is strange for Irish politics but nowhere near enough for a second candidate.
    mahoney_j wrote: »
    If Seamie Morris was still on the sf ticket he would be a racing certainty, don’t know anything about brown and I’m betting most who voted for him know even less. Imo he will be a very poor td, as will many other sf tds around the country who were elected in simillar scenarios
    probably. He def didnt canvass anywhere near around my place at home and did so well as you say because of the national party and nothing really to do with what he can do

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Micheál Martin faces angry backlash from TDs over stance on Sinn Féin

Fianna Fáil leader Micheál Martin has faced angry backlash from this parliamentary party over the General Election result and his stance on government formation talks.

Jackie Cahill, Sean Fleming, John McGuinness, Eamon O Cuiv and Joe Flaherty were also critical of the continued criticisms of Sinn Féin.

At the meeting, Tipperary TD Jackie Cahill called for a “root to branch” review of the entire party. Mr Cahill was also extremely critical of the party’s election manifesto.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/micheal-martin-faces-angry-backlash-from-tds-over-stance-on-sinn-fein-39019122.html

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Congratulations and best wishes to Alan Kelly on being elected leader of the Labour Party.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Xenophile wrote: »
    Congratulations and best wishes to Alan Kelly on being elected leader of the Labour Party.

I second that.

Congrats to Gareth Aherne who won a seat in the Senate.

That'll make him a cert to run in the next Dail election. If he raises his profile then Cahill's seat will be under threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Congrats to Gareth Aherne who won a seat in the Senate.

That'll make him a cert to run in the next Dail election. If he raises his profile then Cahill's seat will be under threat.

The reality is he notched a consolation prize and fair play to him that's the situation.

However, this bluffer already ran in the Dail election to raise his profile, you should not be allowed contest the Seanad after being a recent general election reject but here we are.

The reality is he notched a consolation prize and fair play to him that's the situation.

However, this bluffer already ran in the Dail election to raise his profile, you should not be allowed contest the Seanad after being a recent general election reject but here we are.
    I dont think being unsuccessful in general election should disqualify anyone from running in seanad election. The main change for seanad should ses those elected to panels be more reflective of what they're meant to represent and people from the various sections should be eligible to vote for the senators on those panels

• Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Xenophile wrote: »

Is he the first Tipperary TD to be a party leader?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,940 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

He's a Councillor and lord mayor in case you didn't notice?

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »
    Is he the first Tipperary TD to be a party leader?

General Richard Mulcahy, was leaderof Fine Gael and represented the constituency of Tipperary 1944 to 1957.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Mulcahy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Xenophile wrote: »
    General Richard Mulcahy, was leaderof Fine Gael and represented the constituency of Tipperary 1944 to 1957.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Mulcahy

Thanks for that.

He's a Councillor and lord mayor in case you didn't notice?

I'm quite aware of this but why should that alter my view, what's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I seen some posts online suggesting that Darren Ryan will be co-opted into Aherns place on the council and possibly Mayor until June/July. Anyone have anymore info on this? I’m pretty sure he didnt run for the council last time and is/was a Labour politician. Can’t figure it out tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

It’s not Aherne’s fault the seanad and the system of electing it Is a sham. How is he any more of a ‘bluffer’ than Mattie or Martin Browne? Speaking to local chamber of commerce chair, the feedback is that Kelly is the best of them and Lowry helpful too. The other trio ain’t up to much.
    Regarding rejection by the electorate, the Seanad appears to be a reward for failure. Aherne’s not alone in that.
    The ‘panels’ are another joke. What’s Lynn Boylan doing one an agricultural panel .

Can’t believe people voted to maintain that Seanad. Last few times I spoiled my vote. Didn’t bother even voting this time.

• digzy wrote: »
    It’s not Aherne’s fault the seanad and the system of electing it Is a sham. How is he any more of a ‘bluffer’ than Mattie or Martin Browne? Speaking to local chamber of commerce chair, the feedback is that Kelly is the best of them and Lowry helpful too. The other trio ain’t up to much.
    Regarding rejection by the electorate, the Seanad appears to be a reward for failure. Aherne’s not alone in that.
    The ‘panels’ are another joke. What’s Lynn Boylan doing one an agricultural panel .

Can’t believe people voted to maintain that Seanad. Last few times I spoiled my vote. Didn’t bother even voting this time.[/QUOTE]

Then your opinion doesn’t matter one jot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

digzy wrote: »

Can’t believe people voted to maintain that Seanad. Last few times I spoiled my vote. Didn’t bother even voting this time.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately you’re not sophisticated enough to understand the nuance of spoiling a vote.
    I refuse to give a mandate to anyone in the Seanad.

https://unherd.com/2019/12/why-im-going-to-spoil-my-ballot/

https://votingcounts.org.uk/spoilt-ballot

Have a read of those for yourself and you might learn something

Who did you vote for?

The ‘panels’ are another joke. What’s Lynn Boylan doing one an agricultural panel.

Can’t believe people voted to maintain that Seanad. Last few times I spoiled my vote. Didn’t bother even voting this time.
    I think Lowrys a crook and wouldnt go to him about anything and while I agree to an extent with you on the panels in the seanad. They should be changed both in terms of who votes for them and who can be nominated for the specific panels.
    But spoiling your vote doesnt show anything unless there is a widespread plan/campaign to show something up. Which you doing so doesnt

Unfortunately you’re not sophisticated enough to understand the nuance of spoiling a vote.
    I refuse to give a mandate to anyone in the Seanad.

https://unherd.com/2019/12/why-im-going-to-spoil-my-ballot/

https://votingcounts.org.uk/spoilt-ballot

Have a read of those for yourself and you might learn something

Who did you vote for?
    only if people stay at home/dont vote in large numbers or an extraordinary amount of spoiled votes suggest there is voter apathy.
    And it's very simple a body having some form of oversight on the dail is very much needed

I seen some posts online suggesting that Darren Ryan will be co-opted into Aherns place on the council and possibly Mayor until June/July. Anyone have anymore info on this? I’m pretty sure he didnt run for the council last time and is/was a Labour politician. Can’t figure it out tbh.

It will be a Fine Gael seat. Someone from their Clonmel branch.

• Advertisement

I can't disagree with most of that not disputing the C.V.'s of Mcgrath or Browne either but they were put forward in the general election. Lowry on the otherhand is a fraudster and had the arrogance to bring a journo telling the truth to court, a proper scumbag I don't care how good people say he might be at his job.

Were you eligible to vote in it?

Advertisement