Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New, unregistered Irish-bought car from 1976 - where do I start?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

The op hasn't logged on in over a week. Give him a break. He's clearly busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭w124man

pablo128 wrote: »
    The op hasn't logged on in over a week. Give him a break. He's clearly busy.

What's this his name is again? Walter Mitty?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

and.....unfollow ;)

Life's too short for this nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭Odelay

Relax, life can get in the way, especially on the run up to Christmas. How many here have free time to be pulling stuff out of a shed?

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    and.....unfollow ;)

Life's too short for this nonsense

And miss the entertainment of those still waiting for Godot Alfa Beta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Dear OP. Show me the God damn car. You've had all Christmas. Thanks bye x.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

I’ve just read the full thread, that same feeling after watching The Dublin Murders!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

I’ve a feeling the reason the car was left in the garage all that time, was because the purchaser didn’t realize how bad a 504 diesel sounded back then before he ordered it, here’s a good one below.
    They were really like a tractor sound compared to Mercedes 200 and 240d diesels which were the only real Diesel cars irish people had experience of previous to the 504

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Bigus wrote: »
    I’ve a feeling the reason the car was left in the garage all that time, was because the purchaser didn’t realize how bad a 504 diesel sounded back then before he ordered it, here’s a good one below.
    They were really like a tractor sound compared to Mercedes 200 and 240d diesels which were the only real Diesel cars Irish people had experience of previous to the 504
    They where no worse than any other Diesel at the time, except the M-B. They were the second best after Mercedes. Any conventional Diesel engine sounds like that on idle, especially when old with a bit of wear and sound recorded with a tiny microphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

Seweryn wrote: »
    They where no worse than any other Diesel at the time, except the M-B. They were the second best after Mercedes. Any conventional Diesel engine sounds like that on idle, especially when old with a bit of wear and sound recorded with a tiny microphone.

They’d were brutal, if you had any respect for your neighbours and you were an industrious EARLY RISER, you’d hide one away in the back of a garage for 40 years to keep the peace, I’d actually say they contributed to holding back diesel car proliferation in cities and the suburbs for years afterwards due to the tractor noise.

• Advertisement

Were test drives not available in 1976?
    Surely there were yokes pottering about with Perkins diesel engines in the 70s and the Transit was available back then with Ford's York engine ........... there must have been some of them about.

Augeo wrote: »
    Were test drives not available in 1976?
    Surely there were yokes pottering about with Perkins diesel engines in the 70s and the Transit was available back then with Ford's York engine ........... there must have been some of them about.

That York engine was a desperate yoke to start. My dad had an 81 transit with one when I was a child. He got used to parking it on a hill facing downwards.

He also had a Peugeot 404 diesel 7 seater estate when I was even younger. They were fairly loud alright.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

:eek::eek::eek:Yorkie engines.......... Family had a couple of them.

God himself would be well tested to start one:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭welder

pablo128 wrote: »
    That York engine was a desperate yoke to start. My dad had an 81 transit with one when I was a child. He got used to parking it on a hill facing downwards.

That brings back some memories ! My dad had one too, it was my job to spray the easy start into the air filter in the mornings.... Luckily We lived but a short push to the top of a big hill, even so I remember my uncle who had borrowed it only barely got it started by the bottom. The same yoke, when bought second hand from Archers in Stillorgan, had had the vinyl seats shone up with son of a gun and boy did they look great. First corner and the 'oul lad and myself slid off the seats. Another day He had 2 heavy pallet loads in the back and had to brake hard, pallets slid forward and hit the seat, He drove home with the steering wheel bet into his chest ! Great memories !!

welder wrote: »
    That brings back some memories ! My dad had one too, it was my job to spray the easy start into the air filter in the mornings.... Luckily We lived but a short push to the top of a big hill, even so I remember my uncle who had borrowed it only barely got it started by the bottom. The same yoke, when bought second hand from Archers in Stillorgan, had had the vinyl seats shone up with son of a gun and boy did they look great. First corner and the 'oul lad and myself slid off the seats. Another day He had 2 heavy pallet loads in the back and had to brake hard, pallets slid forward and hit the seat, He drove home with the steering wheel bet into his chest ! Great memories !!

Oh Jesus I can still smell the easy start 30 years on! That was my job aswell!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

I had given the OP the benefit of the doubt, but he was online posting in the weather forum on 13-01. So a simple visit here would have been easy. Pity, this had the potential of a great thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

iamtony wrote: »

If I had to guess I'd say the op is uncomfortable just going out and taking pictures of the car in his mother's shed as it's possible an inheritance issue with the passing of his father.

:( Sorry folks. I've just read through the thread and now I feel like a right prat.

Thing is, iamtony above is close to the truth. I'm not the owner of the stuff in the shed (incl the cars) and the rightful owner (my mother) has sorta said 'no' as regards taking pics and posting them here. It's probably nothing more than a distrust of the dreaded interweb on her part and, to be fair, I've spent the past few weeks trying a softly softly approach but unfortunately I haven't got anywhere.

Thanks again to everyone who offered advice/views regarding the VRT/registration status of the 504 and where to start in that regard. I really appreciate that. I will get pics up here when I can, as I'd love to share them with people like yourselves who would genuinely be interested. I just need to convince herself that putting a few pics online doesn't automatically mean she will then be instantly broken into and all her worldly possessions will be stolen by a bunch of lunatic hooded boardsies.

Sorry again - I should have posted sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

welcome back.

at the back of my mind I recall stories of people keeping tabs on a desired stored cars for years only to call one day and find they all been cleared out and gone. All you can do is impress on her that the vehicles have a value above her expectations and well above what a local scrappie might tell her

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

alfa beta wrote: »
    the rightful owner (my mother) has sorta said 'no' as regards taking pics and posting them here. It's probably nothing more than a distrust of the dreaded interweb on her part and, to be fair, I've spent the past few weeks trying a softly softly approach but unfortunately I haven't got anywhere.

How would she know ? does she have an account on here ?

Throw up some pics , we won't tell a soul, promise .

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

jonski wrote:
    How would she know ? does she have an account on here ?

Fictional car. Fictional mother with notions. Well played Mr Mitty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭KB22

I had a 1986 tranny with the single glow plug, it had a pump in the cab to inject easy start, I never used the easy start because of the danger of engine damage. In cold weather I used a blowlamp under the sump, then went and had my brekkie. I eventually solved the problem by fitting a second battery. They were a great engine unlike the rustbucket of a body.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

random

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭KB22

Isambard wrote: »
    random

Who are you replying to? Could you give a more detailed response!

Isambard wrote: »
    random

I mentioned the York engine a few post back :)
    Interesting post by KB22.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Hi again

I uncovered the car to the extent that I could earlier this evening - it's jammed up against a wall at one side, a boat to the front and a rusty old volkswagen variant to the other side so unfortunately its very innaccessible at the moment.

I did take a pic of the back - the paintwork and chrome look like they need no more than a good polish. (Unfortunately there's no light in the shed and the flash on the phone is not very complimentary)

I also managed to open the rear door just enough to squeeze my hand in and take a rather random pic of the interior (again the flash is not at all flattering). The leather looks like it needs a good clean but nothing more. (The door opened and shut very smoothly, so I guess that's a good sign as regards rubber seals etc!)

Anyway, here are the pics I managed. If I get more time on my hands and even the possibility of moving the car out from its current position I'll try and post something better.

IMG-5153.jpgIMG-5154.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Hi again

I uncovered the car to the extent that I could earlier this evening - it's jammed up against a wall at one side, a boat to the front and a rusty old volkswagen variant to the other side so unfortunately its very innaccessible at the moment.

I did take a pic of the back - the paintwork and chrome look like they need no more than a good polish. (Unfortunately there's no light in the shed and the flash on the phone is not very complimentary)

I also managed to open the rear door just enough to squeeze my hand in and take a rather random pic of the interior (again the flash is not at all flattering). The leather looks like it needs a good clean but nothing more. (The door opened and shut very smoothly, so I guess that's a good sign as regards rubber seals etc!)

Anyway, here are the pics I managed. If I get more time on my hands and even the possibility of moving the car out from its current position I'll try and post something better.

IMG-5153.jpgIMG-5154.jpg

Snazzy.... but to be honest I'd prefer the Variant

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That's in scarily good nick. Would actually be a shame to see it out driving.

Maybe Gowan or even Peugeot might be interested in it considering it is legitimately a new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,377 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I love those old Peugeot’s. They were serious war horses at the time. Especially the diesels. A marque I really love and great to see them back on top again and well in the top ten in Ireland. Any Peugeot dealer or Peugeot Ireland would love that. My local dealer has a few heritage ones including 205 Gti they use

• Registered Users Posts: 19,377 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I love those old Peugeot’s. They were serious war horses at the time. You can see the high quality of the paintwork and interior in the pics. Much better than the crap BL were flogging at that time. Especially the diesels.
    A marque I really love and great to see them back on top again and well in the top ten in Ireland. Any Peugeot dealer or Peugeot Ireland would love that. My local dealer has a few heritage ones including 205 Gti they use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭con747

Hi again

IMG-5153.jpgIMG-5154.jpg

I apologise for my last post which a Mod gave me a good kick up the arse for, hope you can get more pics and even get to get it running.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Advertisement