Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Weather Warning Discussion/Debate Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

in my day we had rolling blackouts every thursday and sunday just to give the electricity a rest. we were all fine with it. we had other things to do, like, uh... going outside??

roofs would fall off of their own accord on a perfectly calm day. did you see any of us complaining? NO. the met eirheads would want to get out in the real world for a change and stop with ther ridiculous red alerts and amber warnings. yet another example of the nanny state coddling today's generation

in summary: T O T A L N O N - E V E N T
    Would have loved to hear you say that last night and be at my house in North Kerry.

Absolute tripe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

in my day we had rolling blackouts every thursday and sunday just to give the electricity a rest. we were all fine with it. we had other things to do, like, uh... going outside??

roofs would fall off of their own accord on a perfectly calm day. did you see any of us complaining? NO. the met eirheads would want to get out in the real world for a change and stop with ther ridiculous red alerts and amber warnings. yet another example of the nanny state coddling today's generation

Also in your day people were lucky to have one car in a household. Now most have 2 if not 3/4 for traveling to work. Warnings are necessary to stop people making unnecessary journeys they would not have been able to make in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭prunudo

Some of the blame lies with the media. They create headlines and clickbait articles which arent wrong but are huge exaggerations. Yesterday we had Dublin based radio stations saying 'storm Hannah upgraded to Red warning', while not a lie, its misleading. It was a red warning in 2 counties for a very specific time frame only.
    Also while the media have a responsibility to report accurately, the public should inform themselves of what and where these weather warnings are forecast for. There is no point taking your info from a five word weather bulletin and expecting to know the full picture. In an era where we have access to so much good forcasting information there is no excuse not to know what will happen for your given area. Also people should remember that while we live on a small Island the weather varies greatly even by quite short local distances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Steve you no where near the areas where a red warning was issued, what exactly is your problem? Trees down and roads blocked in Cahir last night. That's the point of warnings you know that, possibility of falling trees and flying debris.

Don't get the nanny state bit, did met eirean come down and lock you in your house?? It's a warning that winds will be high, completely up to you if you want to go out and about in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭green123

I think that the problem is this yellow, orange, red warning system that met Eireann have dreamt up.
    It is too simplistic.

We were at the highest warning level for storm hannah.

The highest warning level should be reserved for total catastrophe, complete destruction.

Maybe we need levels 1 to 5 ?

Hannah was not the worst possible weather event.

The next time they forecast red most people will just say ah sure the last red wasn't all that bad so they will be more likely to ignore red events going forward.

Like the girl who cried wolf, nobody will believe them in future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

green123 wrote: »
    I think that the problem is this yellow, orange, red warning system that met Eireann have dreamt up.
    It is too simplistic.

The highest warning level should be reserved for total catastrophe, complete destruction.

The next time they forecast red most people will just say ah sure the last red wasn't all that bad so they will be more likely to ignore red events going forward.

Like the girl who cried wolf, nobody will believe them in future

I don't understand why the highest warning level needs to be reserved for catastrophic events. It's stated quite clearly on Met Eireann's website that red warnings indicate "a comparatively rare event and implies that recipients take action to protect themselves and/or their properties". If they did implement a 5 level scale, and had what would currently meets the minimum criteria for a red as say a 4, people would end up ignoring it because "sure it's only a 4".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Here ye go lads

Question (apologies if I’m wrong thread): If I say something is “post *named storm*, is that taken to mean that it’s weather that came from that storm?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

SeaSlacker wrote: »
    Question (apologies if I’m wrong thread): If I say something is “post *named storm*, is that taken to mean that it’s weather that came from that storm?

Today's wind nothing to do with Storm Atiyah. Different system.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Would have loved to hear you say that last night and be at my house in North Kerry.

Absolute tripe!!

Post of the year Tatranska! Or at my place out here in West Mayo! ( I know your area very well as I lived close and yes!)

Folk need to stop seeing their situation and look at the wider area situation.

• Advertisement

NB reporting and warning is NOT "coddling" . OK? OK! You need take no heed of any report or warning; not a hanging matter to ignore them.

Ophelia; three deaths because folk ignored warnings? In the real world.

green123 wrote: »
    It is too simplistic.

Like the girl who cried wolf, nobody will believe them in future[/QUOTE]

I and most others will! Speak for yourself by all means.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Today's wind nothing to do with Storm Atiyah. Different system.

I was asking in more general terms. If I say the phrase “this rain is post Storm Blahblah”, is that taken to mean that “the rain developed from Storm Blahblah”, and isn’t “rain that occurred after Storm Blahblah”?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

Been following this thread with interest but this quote demonstrates just how ignorant some people are re the weather and it’s forecasts. Met Eireann are not fortune tellers, they’re using the best available models & forecasting accordingly with threats to safety and life at the forefront of their minds. If there’s a last minute downgrade, good. Less damage at the height of summer that Ireland can really do without right now.

But :

1. There are multiple models available, some are contradictory. ICON is indicating a non-event for tonight (not tomorrow btw).
    2. Even with the best models, some judgement is required especially when they indicate different outcomes. The question is : does ME default to the worst case model to cover their backsides?
    3. Last minute downgrades will not compensate businesses for lost income.
    4. Does ME have their best "eyes" looking this or are they on holiday?

As for the "ignorant" remark, well ....

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Bear in mind that Met E issue their warnings on the basis of evaluating potential impact and risk.

We are still in full swing holiday time so there are lots of tourists in places they are not familiar with. People are camping and in caravans/mobile homes.

In addition, trees are in full leaf and the storm coincides with high (spring) tide, so there is high risk of coastal flooding.

Maybe in mid Winter this storm might have a yellow warning for most with a number of counties with orange warning as impact/risk would be less.

No they don't. They issue their warnings on a set of clear criteria. They should be issuing there warnings on potential impact and stop doing it county by county.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    No they don't. They issue their warnings on a set of clear criteria. They should be issuing there warnings on potential impact and stop doing it county by county.

Yes they do!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

No they don't. They go by the criteria outlined on their website.

https://www.met.ie/weather-warnings

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    No they don't. They go by the criteria outlined on their website.

https://www.met.ie/weather-warnings

Did you read what's in the link?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Did you read what's in the link?
    I will help
    Given that the thrust of the Weather Warnings service is on potential “Impacts” of weather rather than on the numerical values attained by the weather elements themselves, it may on occasion be appropriate to issue warnings at a level higher than that strictly justified by the anticipated weather elements. An example would be when heavy rain was expected which might not quite meet the “Orange Warning” criteria but which might give rise to significant flooding because of already saturated ground, or because of a combination of rain, wind and tide in a coastal location.
    IMPACT CONSIDERATIONS: These numerical criteria are strong guidelines but impacts from wind/rain/snow etc., vary depending on location, recent weather conditions, the state of ground, the time of year as well as the duration of the event. In any individual weather event, not every location in the warning area may experience the same degree of weather or impacts. When severe weather is expected, weather and impacts at lower levels are also likely to be experienced.

*bump*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Ah ffs half the schools closed tomorrow!

What is going on with this stupid country?

If it's too dangerous for schools to open tomorrow then how is it safe for creches, colleges and other businesses to open??? We'll have nothing but runts in the future if they're not in school half the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

I don't think runt is the word you're looking for here 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭dmc17

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Condor24

There are a lot of people who simply want red warnings to have a day off. Seems to be a phenomenon that started when ME started them a few years ago. When I was a nipper, we waded through knee deep snow and got to school only to be sent back again when the heating failed. Ok, this may have happened only a couple of times in my lifetime (82,87) , most people got on with it. Far too soft these days, and I'm not trolling, it's simply the way things have gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

How many school related deaths has there been in the history of Ireland to justify this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kiwizizi

I don't think it's 'school-related deaths', it's more 'getting to school related deaths' right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I don't usually criticize Met Eireann but they got it very wrong for Wicklow this time around at least. Orange wind warning in effect from 3am to 11am. There was no wind to speak of until about 10am, and the worst of it kicked off here at 11 as the orange warning ended.

The thing is, looking at the Met Eireann hourly forecast yesterday afternoon they clearly had the strongest winds affecting this area between 11am-1pm, as did all of the models. I know forecasting must be incredibly difficult but it's like they weren't even using their own data when they set the warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I know Met Éireann have so much responsibility and generally they always have to air on side of caution but I even hear it now today again that people are saying each storm is getting over hyped and the warnings are beginning to mean nothing.

I think they will have regionalise the bigger counties like Cork, Galway, Mayo, Kerry etc .. the weather in West Cork can be a completely different status to North Cork. For example today, Red was more then warranted for coastal west, south and east Cork but North Cork was at most an Orange. The council in Cork already have “4 Zones” so this may be very simple to implement.

I think Yellow warnings have to be scrapped completely and replaced by simple observation notes and Orange and Red’s have to be scaled 1-5 with Red 5 being absolutely historic weather events.

I think Met Éireann has tried to make the system simple but it’s actually too simple now - I fear people will in time take “Red Alerts” with a pinch of salt as it will be the boy who cried wolf and in a historic event it’s going to be devastation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Yes, a Yellow is not a warning at all. It's just advising that normal weather will occur, so why the need for the warning? I think people are clever enough to know that normal weather carries only a small risk, even on a local scale. There are too many Yellows issued on almost a daily basis and do nothing but add hype and column inches to brain-dead clickbait sites.

Warnings should only start at Orange.

From met.ie

Yellow       Not unusual weather. Localised danger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Not sure if many know of this Storm Centre page but it gives a good summary of all the storm stats of this season to date.

Storm Centre - Met Éireann - The Irish Meteorological Service

Advertisement