Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Puroresu (Japanese Wrestling) thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

sky88 wrote: »
    loved liger reveal such a great moment but thought like you it would be saved for wrestle kingdom and actually think it should be. Tana would be great elp would not be good has there been hints at that as im way behind at catching up

No hints I don't think, just read a few online saying if ELP beats Ospreay for the title they could see him challenging Liger. Ospreay himself wouldn't be a bad shout, think Tana would be a great send-off for Liger though, he deserves a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

No hints I don't think, just read a few online saying if ELP beats Ospreay for the title they could see him challenging Liger. Ospreay himself wouldn't be a bad shout, think Tana would be a great send-off for Liger though, he deserves a good one.

absoluely deservs a feelow legend or someone like ospreay who possibly will be one not elp

Good doc here about this summers G1 with English subs for anyone looking to kill an hour!

Teams have been announced for the Super Junior Tag League.

Roppongi 3K, Birds of Prey, Taguchi & Rocky, Titan & Volador Jr, ELP & Ishimori, Desperado & Kanemaru, Tiger Mask & Uemura and TJP & Connors.

Not a bad line up at all, no Dragon Lee though unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

• Advertisement

Loved Liger/Suzuki, they told a great story. Very cool getting to see BATTLE Liger again, and Suzuki showing respect at the end was crazy. If the rumors about his future are true that could possibly be sowing the seeds for the formation of Taichi-gun or maybe even Sabre-gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

So NJPW have launched their American subsidiary...

https://www.njpw1972.com/63157

Highly recommend watching the Birds of Prey vs Bullet Club from the Super Junior Tag League, really great match. BOP vs Titan & Volador Jr. was a great sprint too.

Also heard a few murmurs that if he's cleared to go, it could be Liger vs Hiromu on night two of WK, fingers crossed, would be top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Power Struggle is on at 6 am....I hope to wake up to a return which has been teased for so, so long.

He's back :D

• Advertisement

The winner of Naito/White officially announced as facing the winner of Ibushi/Okada on night two of Wrestle Kingdom.

Ospreay/Takahashi and the Liger 8-Man set for night one, with Bullet Club/3K and and the two losers from night one meeting in singles action on night two. Throw in Jericho/Tanahashi, Liger retirement match and the possibilities of SANADA/ZSJ, Archer/Mox, Shingo/Suzuki and maybe KENTA/Shibata and things are shaping up very nicely.

Archer/Mox US Title in a Texas Death Match and Liger & fcukin Naoki Sano vs Hiromu & Ryu Lee in Ligers final match announced for WK, take my money!

Finally gotten round to catching up on the World Tag League. Like the usual pre WK lull there's not too much that was must see but some gems to be found all the same, the best probably being the deciding match between FinJuice and LIJ. Was a fantastic match, and good to see a new name on the winners list, thought it was going to be three in a row for LIJ.

The final cards have been announced for both nights of WK, and they are stacked, only three weekends to get out of the way now.

Night One

Okada/Ibushi IWGP Championship
    White/Naito IWGP Intercontinental
    Ospreay/Hiromu IWGP Junior
    Archer/Mox IWGP US Texas Death Match
    G.O.D/FinJuice IWGP Tag Titles
    Jushin Liger, Tatsumi Fujinami, Great Sasuke & Tiger Mask/Naoki Sano, Shinjiro Otani, Tatsuhito Takaiwa & Ryusuke Taguchi ... with El Samurai and Kuniaki Kobiashi accompanying the teams, which is actually mind-blowing.
    CHAOS/Bullet Club & LIJ/Suzuki-Gun in multi-man tag matches.

Night Two

IWGP vs IWGP Intercontinetal winner takes all
    Losers of night one title matches against each other
    Tanahashi/Jericho
    Bullet Club/Roppongi 3K IWGP Junior Tag Titles
    KENTA/Goto NEVER Openweight
    IWGP US Champion/Juice
    ZSJ/SANADA RevPro British Heavyweight Championship
    Liger & Naoki Sano/Hiromu & Ryu Lee

Best two nights of pro wrestling in 2020 to occur on the first weekend of the year? It's a distinct possibility, WK never disappoints. My only criticism is they run two nights and can't find room for singles matches for Suzuki or Shingo.

Announced tonight for New Beginning in Sapporo on Feb 1st is a tag match between Suzuki & Taichi vs Moxley & Okada! A tag team I never expected to see, love it! Hopefully Mox hasn't forgotten that Shooter is his real NJPW partner though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Couple of cracking shows I thought this weekend from NJPW. Imo all of the big 4 matches on the 2 shows delivered, with Ospreay/ZSJ a personal favourite and a sure fire MOTYC. Okada/Taichi delivered big and Shingo got his big breakout moment too and the pivot to the feud with Sho was really cool.

Anyone subscribed to DDT Universe? With a couple NOAH shows on it per month I am tempted, how do you guys find the service?

Hope they go all out with Shingo, he could really reinvigorate the NEVER championship. Was a cracking match with Goto, I believe the win makes Shingo the first man to hold both NEVER titles simultaneously.

I loved Ospreay/ZSJ, just pure quality wrestling from two of the best. Okada/Taichi was great too, and really enjoyed the Mox/Suzuki interactions. It's been a brilliant 2020 so far in NJPW.

Not subscribed to DDT but would be interested, let us know if you do. I can recommend Dragon Gate network though, not much English commentary but the action is fantastic. And with the recently announced partnership with MLW it will hopefully become more accessible to Western fans.

Hope they go all out with Shingo, he could really reinvigorate the NEVER championship. Was a cracking match with Goto, I believe the win makes Shingo the first man to hold both NEVER titles simultaneously.

I loved Ospreay/ZSJ, just pure quality wrestling from two of the best. Okada/Taichi was great too, and really enjoyed the Mox/Suzuki interactions. It's been a brilliant 2020 so far in NJPW.

Not subscribed to DDT but would be interested, let us know if you do. I can recommend Dragon Gate network though, not much English commentary but the action is fantastic. And with the recently announced partnership with MLW it will hopefully become more accessible to Western fans.

I took the plunge last night, looking forward to getting into it and maybe catching up on a couple of big DDT shows that happened last year. Downside though is the NOAH show just uploaded has no commentary, a small gripe but it always effects my enjoyment of a show. Hopefully the NOAH shows uploaded up the service will come with commentary.

https://www.njpw1972.com/71601

The King has spoken. Love Suzuki, he speaks the truth about WWE. If NXT Japan does happen I hope it fails, Japan provides the best wrestling in the world, the last thing it needs is the stench of WWE attached to it. Buzzing for Mox/Suzuki now.

Lads that NJPW New Beginning show was insane. The last 3 matches were all totally different but all 3 were soooo good! The insane Hiromu/Lee spotfest (those opening 7 or 8 minutes need to be seen to be believed), the psycho fight between Suzuki/Moxley had me hook, line and sinker, and the image of Naito covered in his own blood but leaving victorious was wrestling as it should be, full of emotion and storytelling. Love the direction they have coming out of this show too with Naito/Hiromu at the Anniversary show, Mox/ZSJ and Ishii/Shingo all banging matches. The MSG show and the news that NJPW is back on prime time TV in Japan, it's just a great time to be a fan of theirs.

Totally agree man, that was an absolute cracker. Mox/Suzuki was one of the best brawls I've seen in ages, two of the best at bringing intensity to a pro-wrestling ring. Was actually surprised Mox retained, they had me hooked that the King would win. Love how Mox just floats around different promotions doing whatever the fcuk he wants.

Loved KENTA/Naito too, KENTA is such a great shi*head heel. Naito getting juice brought it to another level, and we finally got the role call.

Match of the night for me was Hiromu/Lee though, those chops were insane, they were actually hard to watch as they kept going. Also loved the tease of a Dragon Driver, just a fantastic match, their chemistry hasn't skipped a beat at all.

NJPW has been on fire in 2020, best pro-wrestling in the world and it's not even close.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

has anyone gone to an NJPW show? if so what are they like?

the August one in MSG is grabbing my interest

Went to one in Manchester before headlined by Suzuki/Ishii and had Okada/ZSJ on it too. Really fun show, to be fair the crowd made a real effort to react to things more like how a Japanese crowd would. In the same way when WWE run shows in Japan you see the Japanese crowd almost cosplaying an American one, this was like an English crowd cosplaying a Japanese crowd. Brilliant atmosphere and one of the things that stuck was seeing the likes of Tiger Hatori on the side judging what was happening in the ring, I think the potential roster members on the card that night were Riddle (clearly they were very high on him and he pinned Despy clean), El Phantasmo (who they signed not long after this show where he did catch the eye) and Kyle Fletcher (who they will probably get). They also looked very impressed with Jay White in his match with Fletcher, he is a real ring general.

Anyway ye, if you get the chance, go to one!

Ibushi/Tanahashi the new IWGP Tag Team champions. Love it, something different from GOD. Great setup to go against Dangerous Tekkers next, should be a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Went to tonnes when living in Japan, including Sakura Genesis with the Shibata/Okada match. Never had a bad show, always great fun. Go for it!

Went to tonnes when living in Japan, including Sakura Genesis with the Shibata/Okada match. Never had a bad show, always great fun. Go for it!

My favourite match ever, the spot where Shibata cracks Okada with the headbutt, Okada collapses, Shibata's head is bowed, camera zooms in on Shibata, he lifts his head and there's that trickle of blood running down his forehead. That is pro wrestling, just pure art.

Brackets for the New Japan Cup have been announced, and they have given us Ospreay/SHINGO again. Both coming in as champions, going to be an absolute cracker in the first round. Other highlights throughout the field include Okada/White, Ibushi/ZSJ and Taichi/Tanahashi.

Brackets for the New Japan Cup have been announced, and they have given us Ospreay/SHINGO again. Both coming in as champions, going to be an absolute cracker in the first round. Other highlights throughout the field include Okada/White, Ibushi/ZSJ and Taichi/Tanahashi.

Those 1st round matches insane, ok there's a few duds I'm sure but just the novelty of some guys doing singles who rarely get another chance to work a non-young lions singles match during the year, means the novelty of it is enough to get me through their matches.

Shingo/Ospreay was undoubtedly the best match of last year, I don't think (given it is the New Japan Cup 1st round) it will reach those lofty heights again but I do like the idea of linking the 2 wrestlers and making them long term rivals.

Anyone watching the NJPW pre show will have seen Yuya Uemura looking like pretty good. Liger tells him don't take off your shirt til your in the ring so he's probably pretty cut. Looks ready for excursion for sure.

This may have come across as nothing more than horny posting masquerading as a wrestling comment but I can live with that.

Follow up reporting: The body reveal did not disappoint.

• Advertisement

Glad to have New Japan back, the main, Kidd/Tsuji and the Suzuki-gun match was all good stuff. Ishii looking well rested and ready to go, surely a dark horse for the cup this year.

Advertisement