Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shop the Stash!

• 06-01-2019 11:06pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Greetings cosmetics hoarders!

Inspired by our ever popular Latest Cosmetics Purchases thread and a post by Sunny Dayz, we welcome you to Shop the Stash!

The idea behind it is to look at what’s already in your collection before making a new purchase, or going so far as to not purchase anything until you use what you have!

This is the STS support group, tell us what you’re using up, what you found in the bottom of the makeup kit, gems you forgot about, what you’d repurchase, or if you need to be talked out of a shiny new Charlotte Tilbury product!

Whether it’s for economic reasons, storage space reasons or environmental reasons, join our 2019 challenge!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

I so nearly bought more makeup in the Debenhams sale yesterday. Those benefit gift sets are so cute. Thankfully I couldn’t remember my cvv number for my card and the extra few minutes made me re think. I’m so glad as I have loads.

I’m currently commuting for work, spending the weekdays in my hometown in my parents house and returning to my place and my husband at weekends. This means I divided my makeup stash between both houses and I didn’t need to buy a thing I had so much. In fact after my near miss yesterday I went throw the makeup I had here and realised how I would only have been purchasing items similar to what I already own. So I’m on a shopping ban until I run out of something!

One thing I did do that makes me feel a bit better was to organise travel kits of toiletries and make up for travelling. I travel a bit for work and I’m never sure which house I’ll be leaving from so I created a kit for each house that I can grab and know that all the basics are covered. I really did feel like I shopped my stash and The only thing I had to buy was some mini dry shampoo.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Looks like you’re off to a good start! Good idea to prep the travel bags in advance, you won’t be tempted to impulse buy minis.

I won’t be buying any more skincare until I use what I have. I’ve about 5 half full moisturisers and loads of body creams that I need to use.

Makeup wise there’s stuff I just need to get rid of, I know I won’t use, and then other stuff I forget I even have that I need to reuse.

In a former life I was in beauty PR so I had a shocking amount of stuff unopened with seals on, my friend have a clothes swap in her house and I brought loads of makeup, all happily rehomed! Defo recommend getting your girls together and swapping items if you have ea few bits between you. Feels like shopping!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Skincare is the one thing that I just can’t include in this, I have such sensitive skin and rosacea that going back to the some stuff that’s still half full just isn’t an option. I think I might repurpose them as hand moisturisers or offer to friends instead though!

Personally this is the year that I will not buy any eyeshadow or lipstick. I must have about 20 eye shadow palettes that I need to get more use out of and lots of lipsticks of various similar shades that I can’t bring myself To throw out just yet. I also bought the original naked palette again just before Xmas as I love it and heard it was being discontinued. Despite the urge just to start using it because it’s all new and fresh I’ve put it away until the one I have at the moment is done.

This month I plan to finish off the half used shampoos and conditioners and also to start using body stuff that I have lying around and build them in to my routine, things like body exfoliators and scrubs and dry oils etc. I’m sure my skin will thank me for it and it’s better than having them gather dust! Looking forward seeing how I get on!

Earlier I put everything that’s new and unopened in to a box so that once I have finished a bottle I can grab a new one and work my way through that. I really want to avoid have multiple bottles on the go at once as I find it just never finish any of them before the reach the expiration date (which I personally ignore most of the time....)

Aim for the whole year is to not buy anything new until the current one is finished. Will be interested to see how everyone is getting on!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Skincare is the one thing that I just can’t include in this, I have such sensitive skin and rosacea that going back to the some stuff that’s still half full just isn’t an option. I think I might repurpose them as hand moisturisers or offer to friends instead though!

I have a tan leather bag that marks quite badly with scratches etc - after cleaning I've been known to use up old body lotions and moisturisers (and the ones that broke me out), you'd be amazed at how well they work for conditioning soft leather.
    Just an idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Just started decluttering my house over the past few weeks, ive been finding things from years back. Am I the only one who attaches souls to things and cant throw them out? I found a box of old makeup from when I was very young and cant bring myself dump it, its all old, cheap crap that can never be used but it brought back so many memory's. Found an old tube of rimmel extra lash mascara and forgot how much I used to love it. I bought a new tube of it today and its really good, dont know why ive bothered spending so much on expensive mascara when the cheap stuff is just as good if not better. I got a sample tube of a ysl mascara in a giftset and its horrible stuff, its like glue and doesnt look good on, I looked up the price of a full tube just see and it costs something like 30 euro. Ill definitely be repurchasing cheaper makeup from now on and wont be wasting so much on expensive name brands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Will definitely be doing this! Went through my stuff at the weekend and I have an embarrassing amount of lipsticks and a whole bunch of eyeshadows that barely get touched. This year I only plan to buy skincare and make-up that needs replacing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

I need to do this especially when it comes to palettes.

I also went through a stage of hoarding foundations so I'm going to try to work through that backlog as best I can, but maybe some of the ones I'm not enjoying could be regifted to friends etc.

I was about to repurchase MAC strobe creame but remembered I bought a similar product from Stila in one of the pre christmas beauty sales so going to try that first to see if its similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Ah I'm glad there are so many like minded people on here!

I've said at the start of every year that I won't buy as much during the year, I'll use up what I have - but I never stick too it. I put my hands up and say yes I get influenced! But what has prompted me this year was Lipstick n Leopard Print's shop your stash for the month of Jan.

I also get sucked into the fear of running out of something. I usually stock up on shampoo/conditioner/toothpaste when on special offer. I have multiples of deodorant, dry shampoo, micellar water etc in case I run out. This stems from when I was younger and lived at home. We grew up in the countryside and my mum didn't drive so we only did our shopping once a week. I kinda haven't lost that mindset of "running out of something". I need to start telling myself that if I run out of deodorant, I can just walk down the town and get some.

I'm also at the stage where I've run out of storage space - I can't justify the sheer amount of stuff I have - and I'm the only woman in the house. My poor husband has his stuff in a box and a wash bag under the bed - I've 3 storage units in the ensuite and a basket of stuff in the main bathroom.

I used to be a divil for the Boots 3-for-2, and now I have THREE unopened micellar waters from Botanics that I barely use, as I now favour a microfibre cloth and a drop of LRP face wash. Not such good value now :pac: I'll get through them eventually.

Deodorants, toothpaste and tampons (****'s expensive!) I do still look out for 3-for-2 or whatever as I know I'll use them and either don't deviate on brand (deodorants), or am not brand loyal (toothpaste).

I have to do a stock take of all my body wash/shampoo/moisturisers/handcream and see what i have. I stocked up in the boots 70% off sale for the last few years. Some was stuff for myself and some i used as backup presents but i'm not sure what i have anymore and if i haven't needed them as presents yet i might as well use them up. this year i wont have as good access to multiple boots like i did before so hoefully the temptation wont be there. Although looking at their stock levels i dont think they have as much as other years either.

• Advertisement

Ill definitely be repurchasing cheaper makeup from now on and wont be wasting so much on expensive name brands.

This is a good point - price doesnt always give you a good outcome. Some of the stuff I've ended up hoarding has been for more expensive brands.

My issue si that if I spend on something and if I don't really like it, I find it hard to get rid of it.

Recently I bought a Wet'n'Wild setting powder and it was terrible. It was a pressed powder but they'd nearly done too good a job, in that it was compacted so tightly that I couldnt really get any product onto my brush, let alone onto my face. but it was only €3/4 so i just threw it in the bin.

I also bought the Charlotte Tilbury magic concealer (as I like the foundation of the same name) but its awful. Its really tacky feeling and makes the fine lines under my eyes look worse than they actually are, so its a disaster of a product really. But because of its price, I keep persisting wtih it - setting it differently or applying with a different tool... when in reality it just belongs in the bin.

Its a shame with expensive products because its annoying to spend that amount on a rubbish product.

My main concealer that I use daily is the one from Catrice which costs €4 and I've repurchased multiple times.

I've a few MAC palates that I know I'm going to struggle to use. I just find them hard to work with and the colour payoff. Its not that I don't want to use them, but I just genuinely find them difficult. Might see if any of my friends might like them or something.
    I need to think more and sample more before buying in future. I need to stop buying things just because they look nice.

Ill definitely be repurchasing cheaper makeup from now on and wont be wasting so much on expensive name brands.

One cheap foundation i have rediscovered is The ordinary Serum foundation. My niece who is obsessed with make up was talking about it so i said id try it again. i do find ti very runny which put me off at first but it does feel lovely on my skin and is buildable. I normally don't wear powder but think it does need it. However that may be my way of justifying a new purchase :)

SozBbz wrote: »
    This is a good point - price doesnt always give you a good outcome. Some of the stuff I've ended up hoarding has been for more expensive brands.

My issue si that if I spend on something and if I don't really like it, I find it hard to get rid of it.

This!! I've bought cheap makeup from Penneys or Essence and had no hesitation in binning it if i didn't like it or it was crap.
    But stuff I've spent my hard earned money on I find it difficult to get rid off. Either I force myself to use it to get my money's worth or I hold onto it as a reminder not to be so stupid and as punishment for buying things that I'm influenced by, that I didn't need.

I also bought the Charlotte Tilbury magic concealer (as I like the foundation of the same name) but its awful. Its really tacky feeling and makes the fine lines under my eyes look worse than they actually are, so its a disaster of a product really. But because of its price, I keep persisting wtih it - setting it differently or applying with a different tool... when in reality it just belongs in the bin.

Magic Away was just dreadful stuff, I'm so annoyed I bought into the hype!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

What really annoys me and I think adds to much stash of useless crap I can't use is companies or counters not giving samples.

Ie Charlotte tilbury and shiseido are two examples. I've wanted to try a few things from both but each product at circa €50... It's an expensive mistake to get it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

You know when you buy an expensive product and it just doesn't work for you - does anyone try returning it?
    I mean, if it was an electrical item or something, you'd bring it back and say 'it's not fit for purpose' and expect a refund or replacement.
    I mentioned to a girl on the Clinique counter in a Boots branch that I'd bought one of their foundations about a year before and found it didn't sit well on my skin at all, that I couldn't make it work despite several attempts with different application methods and just had to throw it out (in fact, I donated it to a charity shop, but same thing). She was horrified and said 'why didn't you just return it?!'. She explained that it's their policy, within Boots stores anyway, to accept a return on a product that doesn't work for you.
    I know in other countries, particularly the US, it's standard practice to return makeup items for a refund.
    Maybe something to keep in mind - worth checking store policy anyway!

dee_mc wrote: »
    You know when you buy an expensive product and it just doesn't work for you - does anyone try returning it?
    I mean, if it was an electrical item or something, you'd bring it back and say 'it's not fit for purpose' and expect a refund or replacement.
    I mentioned to a girl on the Clinique counter in a Boots branch that I'd bought one of their foundations about a year before and found it didn't sit well on my skin at all, that I couldn't make it work despite several attempts with different application methods and just had to throw it out (in fact, I donated it to a charity shop, but same thing). She was horrified and said 'why didn't you just return it?!'. She explained that it's their policy, within Boots stores anyway, to accept a return on a product that doesn't work for you.
    I know in other countries, particularly the US, it's standard practice to return makeup items for a refund.

As far as I'm aware, Clinique are part of the Lauder group and they accept returns but I'm not sure all brands share this policy

La.de.da wrote: »
    What really annoys me and I think adds to much stash of useless crap I can't use is companies or counters not giving samples.

Ie Charlotte tilbury and shiseido are two examples. I've wanted to try a few things from both but each product at circa €50... It's an expensive mistake to get it wrong.

Yeah it's ridiculous. At their prices they can afford samples

dee_mc wrote: »

Ive returned magic foundation by CT, after spending that money on such a horrifically bad product, I couldnt justify holding on to it, practically begged brown thomas to take it back, they were very nice about it and gave me a full refund no problem.

If anyone is looking for a good blog that gives proper reviews of makeup and gives a determination on whether its worth buying or not then this blog is good http://antihaulblog.blogspot.com/

She does comparisons between palettes to see if you need to buy it or if ther already is similar/same shades in other palettes. i had a read through it before Christmas and its definitely helped me. i actually felt duped by all the brand marketing i'd succumbed to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

My mam got me this lovely makeup case/box for Christmas and I just got around to transferring my makeup into it. It was a good opportunity to look through what I have and single out things to use up before I buy more. Managed to chuck out a load of stuff that was in a box for at least 5 years, things I wouldn’t dream of using now! They were all cheap so it really isn’t much of a loss to me. Looking forward using up some of the eyeshadow palettes that I have, there’s so many I just don’t use enough and I definitely don’t need to buy anymore until I use some of them up.

Ive returned magic foundation by CT, after spending that money on such a horrifically bad product, I couldnt justify holding on to it, practically begged brown thomas to take it back, they were very nice about it and gave me a full refund no problem.

I'm assuming you had your reciept etc and took it back within a few weeks?

I never would have thought about returning make up but if I have a bad experience wtih another expensive product again I'll definitely try this. Wishing I'd known this when I bought the CT concealer. I've seen so many people (after the fact) giving it ropey reviews, just wish I hadnt bought into the hype.

Interestingly, the magic foundation actually works well on my skin, so its interesting to know how different products work for different people. I wonder also if its anything to do with how different shades perform better than others. I've bought both shade 3 and 4 with no issues.

Going to try to dig our the Naked 2 and 3 palettes which are both basically untouched before I buy anything else.

Good article on Dazed Beauty about no/low buy trend. It really seems to have taken off this year in particular, I think minimalism/sustainable lifestyle trends feeds in here a lot. Dazed are suggesting that if this all does keep up we will be looking at a very different digital beauty industry by next year, if brands start to see their earned & paid social media coverage dropping https://www.dazeddigital.com/beauty/soul/article/42814/1/2019-the-year-of-beauty-no-buy

Twee. wrote: »
    Good article on Dazed Beauty about no/low buy trend. It really seems to have taken off this year in particular, I think minimalism/sustainable lifestyle trends feeds in here a lot. Dazed are suggesting that if this all does keep up we will be looking at a very different digital beauty industry by next year, if brands start to see their earned & paid social media coverage dropping https://www.dazeddigital.com/beauty/soul/article/42814/1/2019-the-year-of-beauty-no-buy

Great! that can be my lunchtime reading. I'd be delighted to see less of the social media ads especially with 'influencers' i've come to distrust any products that do paid partnerships as the person reviewing it has a vested interest in giving a good review. I still like to read blogs that do actual reviews and i'm happy that they get press drops etc as its expensive to buy everything yourself. However the 30 second instagram story on this new........ that you have to have is just terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

I've been trying to do this lately. I was wandering around boots yesterday and nearly bought some of their half price make up sets 'just because' but stopped and reminded myself that I need to go through what I have before adding more! I got 3 of the same make up gift set at Christmas as gifts, and a tonne of perfume so really have no excuse to be buying anything. I then convinced myself I could move onto haircare/ skincare but I honestly have so much stuff from advent calendars, samples, goodie bags at events that I need to use it up instead of buying more.

Will definitely be taking a look at some of the blogs mentioned here - I'm moving house as well in a few months so a cull is imminent. Himself is less than impressed at the amount of storage space I am claiming to need for make up etc!

First empty of 2019!
    NYX dewy finish setting spray.
    https://www.boots.ie/nyx-professional-makeup-setting-spray-dewy-finish-long-lasting-10207877
    I've had this ages - got it when NYX became really popular years ago and when a stand appeared in a local chemist I tried to get a few of the much talked about things. I never really passed much heed on setting sprays - thought they were a bit gimmicky.
    It's grand - I THINK I get a bit longer out of my makeup with it but sometimes it's hard to tell and I'm not sure if it makes me look dewy. Won't be repurchasing as I have a setting spray from MakeupRevolution to use up. I also have UD all night spray which I keep for nights out etc.

kcdiom wrote: »
    Will definitely be taking a look at some of the blogs mentioned here - I'm moving house as well in a few months so a cull is imminent. Himself is less than impressed at the amount of storage space I am claiming to need for make up etc!

Stay strong! Moving is the most stressful thing and you always have more stuff than you think you do. If a move is on the horizon I'd only be buying things that are absolutely necessary and proactivly culling things that realistically will never be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Stay strong! Moving is the most stressful thing and you always have more stuff than you think you do. If a move is on the horizon I'd only be buying things that are absolutely necessary and proactivly culling things that realistically will never be used.

Oh I have tooonnnnes more stuff than I think. Bless him....he thinks I am quite organised as I am always getting rid of stuff, little does he know about my hiding places ;)

Another product binned today and I have to say I was quite happy to be rid of it!
    The Primark x Alex Steinherr oil free gel hydrator

Such hype about this range when it was released. My local Penneys wasn't stocking it. I happened to be in a larger Penneys a couple of weeks after it was launched and there was very little left. But I wanted something cos it was so hyped so it was this or the clay mousse mask.
    First the pros - it has a nice-ish consistency - it reminds me a little of aftersun, that soothing texture. Packaging handy for travelling.
    Now the Cons: The smell of it! It had such a plastic smell. It reminded me of Easi-singles cheese - only a much cheaper version of them. It wouldn't be hugely hydrating, really would only suit oily skin.

The only reason I didn't bin it before now was as punishment to myself!! It's one of the products that has sparked off this "use what I have, try not to be influenced" thing.
    I was annoyed with myself for being influenced, for buying into the hype. Now I probably should have binned it - it only cost €5/€6 - but it was the principle of the thing - I got sucked in for something I didn't need, it didn't suit me and I didn't like it.

Now it's gone, it's in the bin. I've moved onto a new moisturiser - a No7 Protect & Perfect day cream from their gift set. I used to use No7 products years ago and they fell by the wayside in favour of other brands but I liked their stuff so I'm interested to see how this one goes.

• Advertisement

I had a consultation in a skin clinic yesterday and was given a few samples of products recommended for my skin, I was skeptical which was why I left without buying anything but im actually blown away by the products she recommended me, my rosacea has almost completely cleared up already and my skins texture is already improving so much that I could wear less makeup today as a result.

The skin therapist told me to be careful of all over the counter skincare products as they contain so much alcohol and can destroy your skin. Im throwing out everything, all my cleansers, moisturisers and exfoliaters and tbh i'm happy to do so as ive a drawer so full of products it wont shut and is in need of a clear out. The products are expensive but its worth it if I see results and can dump all my useless products which are cluttering up the place.

Ive decided to stop wasting money on lots of different cheap skincare products and stick to a minimalist albeit expensive set of products.

Advertisement