Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Great Big Annual 'Xbox for Christmas / Dummies' Thread

• 15-11-2018 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭

These usually pop up around this time every year, and with the Black Friday deals starting to go live from tonight, I figured now is as good a time as any.

So any parents, partners, significant others, casual acquaintances with questions on the various ins and outs of Consoles, Subscriptions, Deals and hardware, this is probably the place to post any and all queries you have, rather than trying to sort through each individual thread dedicated to the same subject - there's a great bunch of folks in here who are very quick to help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Where will Black Friday deals be live from tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

Xbox one X for 415€ with battlefield 5, sound good or best hold out for black Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

murpho999 wrote: »
    Where will Black Friday deals be live from tonight?

Amazon.co.uk is going live tonight, xbox.com has deals live now.

D_turbo wrote: »
    Xbox one X for 415€ with battlefield 5, sound good or best hold out for black Friday?

Sounds good to me, that console is usually 500 without a game, and Battlefield is 70 in gamestop so good savings there.

Sounds good to me, that console is usually 500 without a game, and Battlefield is 70 in gamestop so good savings there.

Sounds very good to me, but don't want to see maybe the Forza bundle or FIFA would go cheaper .but think I'll take the plunge ..can't see it dropping much if any less at all

• Advertisement

Amazon.co.uk is going live tonight, xbox.com has deals live now.

Ok, sterling falling as well thanks to Brexit. Could be perfect.

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Right, I'm gonna chime in here (think I may have asked some of this previously, but can't remember!).

Have an Xbox One S that the kid has taken control of, and that's in the play room. It was mine, and all my games are on it.
    I'm the "adult" on that box's Family, with him as the "child".

Have an OLED that's screaming out for a One X, so I'm thinking of treating myself.
    Have the whole surround sound setup in the same room too. Unfortunately, we sleep directly above the living room, so the surround sound is more than likely out.

So I guess I'm looking for a One X with or without games, and a good quality set of (Atmos enabled) surround sound headphones.

Any recommendations?

As an aside, can my games library be shared across both boxes? Or do I have to remove them from his and onto mine?

Where?

Was Littlewoods. But the code was an error.
    I had it in the basket but didn't pull the triggers till lunch, at that stage they had updated the code... electronic weren't to be included

Soarer wrote: »
    Right, I'm gonna chime in here (think I may have asked some of this previously, but can't remember!).

Have an Xbox One S that the kid has taken control of, and that's in the play room. It was mine, and all my games are on it.
    I'm the "adult" on that box's Family, with him as the "child".

Have an OLED that's screaming out for a One X, so I'm thinking of treating myself.
    Have the whole surround sound setup in the same room too. Unfortunately, we sleep directly above the living room, so the surround sound is more than likely out.

So I guess I'm looking for a One X with or without games, and a good quality set of (Atmos enabled) surround sound headphones.

Any recommendations?

As an aside, can my games library be shared across both boxes? Or do I have to remove them from his and onto mine?

I'll answer the easy question- you can sign into any xbox console, anywhere and have access to your digital library of games. so buy your new console, set it up, sign in, and off you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

I'll answer the easy question- you can sign into any xbox console, anywhere and have access to your digital library of games. so buy your new console, set it up, sign in, and off you go.

I thought that was gonna be the awkward part! :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Soarer wrote: »

There's something called family sharing/home sharing that'll take care of this, google should sort you out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

This is definitely a question that could be in the dummies section!

so the young lad wants fortnite on the xbox. Is this a free game, I cant seem to buy it other than in a bundle.

Apologies in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I'm sure it's free, my son was able to download it, no payment needed.
    Can you try on the website?

This is definitely a question that could be in the dummies section!

so the young lad wants fortnite on the xbox. Is this a free game, I cant seem to buy it other than in a bundle.

Apologies in advance!

it is definitely free, just be away that it has the option to buy extra stuff in game, for real money, so best to disable any payment options you might have tied to your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

JoyPad wrote: »
    I'm sure it's free, my son was able to download it, no payment needed.
    Can you try on the website?

That's great. Was thinking that. Now to wait and see the black friday deals in relation to the X with Fifa 19!

GameStop have the Xbox one X bundle for 399€ come Friday.

Can't see that price been beat

It's already available at that price.

Picked mine up 30 mins ago bundled with Fallout 76.

Think it's a great deal.

It's already available at that price.

Picked mine up 30 mins ago bundled with Fallout 76.

Think it's a great deal.

I was told that was for members. General public is Friday. I can get mine today through a friend so either or to me.

Is it a digital copy of 76 or?

I can't see many places matching that price will they?

I was told that was for members. General public is Friday. I can get mine today through a friend so either or to me.

Is it a digital copy of 76 or?

I can't see many places matching that price will they?

No it's not for members only.

Here's a link.

Not sure yet if digital or disc as in work and not opened it yet but box gives the impression it's a disc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Is this a good deal, kid is into Mincraft but im after the console side more

Xbox One S 1TB Minecraft Bundle, Extra Controller & 3 Months Xbox Live
    €299.99

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/console-bundle-deals/xbox-one-console-bundle-deals/xbox-one-s-1tb-minecraft-bundle-extra-controller-and-3-months-xbox-live/b/800351

price on the website keeps showing up as 499 for me?

price on the website keeps showing up as 499 for me?

Ok, I get it now. It appears that D-turbo was right.
    I was logged in under the loyalty programme.

I only signed up last week, and verified the email address and bought nothing and still got the offer.

So just a create an account here and then once you login you should be able to get the discount.

jonon9 wrote: »
    Is this a good deal, kid is into Mincraft but im after the console side more

Xbox One S 1TB Minecraft Bundle, Extra Controller & 3 Months Xbox Live
    €299.99

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/console-bundle-deals/xbox-one-console-bundle-deals/xbox-one-s-1tb-minecraft-bundle-extra-controller-and-3-months-xbox-live/b/800351

The Minecraft bundle is 199€ at GameStop. Will come with free live. Joypads are down to 40€ come Friday. Save over 60€

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

The Minecraft bundle is 199€ at GameStop. Will come with free live. Joypads are down to 40€ come Friday. Save over 60€

Where are you seeing this I cant find it on their website?

jonon9 wrote: »
    Where are you seeing this I cant find it on their website?

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057930389/1/#post108662501

Cant see it anywhere myself but have contacted a friend in GameStop who said it's legit and has already started

Just got mine.
    Thursday and Friday is for public.
    Tmro is for paid members.

Stock wasn't an issue today but several enquiries in the 5mins I was there so could go fast.

The one S at 199 is serious value

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Twigster

How's it going, picked up an S a few weeks ago "for the kids", picked it up before the black Friday deals but got the Forza bundle with Odyssey and RDR2 for about €260. Since picked up Minecraft and rocket leagues for the actual kids.
    Anyone got any recommendations for a reasonable headset in around the €50 mark?

Also looking at Xbox live on cdkeys, is there a time limit a code has to be activated within after purchase?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Twigster wrote: »
    How's it going, picked up an S a few weeks ago "for the kids", picked it up before the black Friday deals but got the Forza bundle with Odyssey and RDR2 for about €260. Since picked up Minecraft and rocket leagues for the actual kids.
    Anyone got any recommendations for a reasonable headset in around the €50 mark?

Also looking at Xbox live on cdkeys, is there a time limit a code has to be activated within after purchase?

Shouldn't be a limit on the redeem code! It won't expire as far as I know.

TBH you're not going to find good quality headsets for under 50. There is a good few deals on Amazon for under €30. Some of them ending soon.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/b/ref=gbps_ftr_m-5_5855_page_1?node=14339842031&gb_f_deals1=dealStates:AVAILABLE%252CWAITLIST%252CWAITLISTFULL%252CUPCOMING%252CEXPIRED%252CSOLDOUT,sortOrder:BY_SCORE,MARKETING_ID:gamerBC18&gb_ttl_deals1=Deals%2520in%2520Video%2520Games%2520and%2520Accessories&pf_rd_p=f9864c56-984b-4b43-a8df-da02f7a25855&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=14339842031&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=XMDYX837SVCX5B466EN5&ie=UTF8

I couldn't recommend any of them though bar the SteelSeries Arctis 7 but they're over €100.

There is a deal starting tonight on Amazon for a headset but again I don't know how good it is but its cheap: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071CNN3DZ/ref=gbps_tit_m-5_5855_d043fdeb?pf_rd_p=f9864c56-984b-4b43-a8df-da02f7a25855&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=14339842031&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=AG3QK5FSK1QV3XJ5MJW6

Advertisement