Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So what are your plans for 2018

• 16-12-2017 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,362 ✭✭✭✭

So folks with 2018 around the corner,
    what have you planned for it or what's on your checklist?

Atm I'm happy with the farm size and amount of cattle for the minute.

Planning to increase the contracting side of things either this year or early 2019.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,047 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

2018 Will be a big year here, new milking parlour and cubicle shed going up , plans are in the process of being drawn up at the moment. Will be a big change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭kk.man

Going to get all the sheds painted in the place. I will get more of the yard concreted. Increase the cattle numbers if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

Same as 2017 plans. Batten down the hatches and spend nothing that is not going to improve livestock or land. I was getting accounts done over the last two evenings and this strategy worked well last year so I am going to keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Putting up a 3 bay slatted shed with creep for calves. Starting it ASAP once weather takes up in spring.

5 acres ploughed since August but weather broke and didn’t get it sown so that’s priority in spring.

May do another 8 acres in August but will play it by ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Road going in, finance sorted for it. Hope to plan out facilities for where they'll be in a few years and apply for planning. Depends on going clear in test but may but in cows in spring of I can and ditch the winter milk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Simple, Spend more hours driving gear than ever before..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Get power to the shed. It's wired already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Small increase in cow no’s,Sr on milk platform 3.6 and that’s as far as I’m going ,workload ,lack of Labour limiting
    Sell 600 plus kgms per cow
    Cover my outside cubicles ,no fault with them bar ,slurry storage .i either dig another tank or roof it ,decision made to roof .plans drawn up and ready to submit next week
    Get a bull calf into ai

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Labour main limit here also, with the extra land I've got this year I could easily lump an extra 50 cows on in the morning, but would only be more unneeded work and stress for me. Litres and solids per cow took a drop here this year, which was disappointing, calving spread still too wide, still too many passager cows, who aren't pulling their weight enough (very average milk yields, or dry themselves off early etc), plenty room for improvement there instead of heading off and chasing cow numbers for no reason other than bragging rights ha. Having said that if the right opportunity labour/partnership wise did show up I'd look at expanding away in the future, the opportunity is here in terms of land etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

Boss man passed away in January.
    No one to consult ask an opinion with or tell me I am doing it wrong.

Suckler cows now to 15 from 36 a few years ago.
    Working in a stressful off farm job 50 ish hours a week.
    Undecided about the future, beef.calf to beef or dairy heifers rearing or trees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

feartuath wrote: »
    Boss man passed away in January.
    No one to consult ask an opinion with or tell me I am doing it wrong.

Suckler cows now to 15 from 36 a few years ago.
    Working in a stressful off farm job 50 ish hours a week.
    Undecided about the future, beef.calf to beef or dairy heifers rearing or trees.

I am sorry you are dealing with this.

Avoid trees for a few years until dust settles.

I am in your position. Dad died 3 years ago, we cut everything back to pay for treatment that didn’t work. And sold cattle to pay for his funeral.

Talk to someone who knows- either a person in your position or an ag advisor who has seen this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

I am sorry you are dealing with this.

Avoid trees for a few years until dust settles.

I am in your position. Dad died 3 years ago, we cut everything back to pay for treatment that didn’t work. And sold cattle to pay for his funeral.

Talk to someone who knows- either a person in your position or an ag advisor who has sffinstey seen this before.

+1 talk to anyone you can who has any experience in your situation, take things easy and only make changes you have to until you are decided about the future

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Keep travelling try and stick a few more pound in the dairy dream fund.

Better living everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Continue to milk the system, and not dairy cows. Seriously considering renting out 50% to 60% of the farm.
    Hopefully change the day job to something a bit more local

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭anthony500_1

feartuath wrote:
    Boss man passed away in January. No one to consult ask an opinion with or tell me I am doing it wrong.

feartuath wrote:
    Suckler cows now to 15 from 36 a few years ago. Working in a stressful off farm job 50 ish hours a week. Undecided about the future, beef.calf to beef or dairy heifers rearing or trees.

Simmillar situation here, uncle passed away in 2015 he had destocked to 14 beef heifers as his wife was long term ill and he cared for her before he got sick himself, 4 months later he passed away

Started off with zero funds in the pot, 18ha and 14 5yr old heifers so was limited as to my options. Anyways 2015 I ai'd 6 of his suitable heifers, had 3 calf's, in 2016 ai'd 6 again 1 calf in 2017...... Disaster,
    bought a bull in 17, I've 8 to calf from Feb 18, and another 2 heifers coming on stream for bulling,

so in 2018 my plan is bull 10 in total, keep all off spring to either 18 or 30 months depending on how things go and get a rolling system of selling 10 each year.
    Then try gather a few pound to invest in a decent tractor with loader and retrofit a shed for suitable winter housing.

Feartuath don't do anything to rash as another poster said def don't plant with out serious consideration and time giving to the subject. 1 hasty decision could ruin your farm for not just your life but generations to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,948 ✭✭✭emaherx

My main aim this year is to tidy up the yard and cattle handling facilities (on the smallest budget possible, so some guntering on the way). Need to make the place as time efficient as possible.

Think a few extra cameras will be needed as my house is a bit away from the yard. Might install some smart switches to turn on and off the lights remotely so I won't have to buy the most expensive night vision cameras. Would also be handy to add the electric fence to this also.

Continue to milk the system, and not dairy cows. Seriously considering renting out 50% to 60% of the farm.
    Hopefully change the day job to something a bit more local

A wise man !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

More cows and more young stock and get a better work routine in place.
    300 ft of feed passage for go in.
    More reseeding and finally finish the house we've been at all year
    Sticking with straw bedding for the foreseeable. Have gotten a straw blower and it has made winter a lot easier. The new feed passage will mean all the cows will be in 2 sheds beside each other instead of being split between 4. And the feed passage will make it much easier to buffer feed cows aswell as feeding during the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭stanflt

Up cow numbers to 200 by the end of 2018- increase beef numbers to 200 by the end of 18

Maintain output from the cows 675kg ms on co op report

Add another few units to the parlour

And continue with zero borrowings on the farm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

If milk price collapses and there is no intervention to fall back on. Are ye still going to expand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭stanflt

If milk price collapses and there is no intervention to fall back on. Are ye still going to expand?

Well I've 180 to calve and I've 40 already calved this autumn so I can't really stop expansion-

All expansion is done from within so the money is already spent rearing the young stock so milk price is irrelevant tbh

Nope consolidate ,milk price will collapse and will go back up again ,more cows means more work ,only so much 1 person can do and Labour is hard got on part time basis .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

stanflt wrote: »
    Up cow numbers to 200 by the end of 2018- increase beef numbers to 200 by the end of 18

Maintain output from the cows 675kg ms on co op report

Add another few units to the parlour

And continue with zero borrowings on the farm
    Did you always do beef with the dairy or is this a newish venture ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Not really. You have to look at the long term. Can't be making decisions based on one year. Great example is this year and last year. 2 completely different years. Have seen a lot of different milk prices since I started farming at home in 2013 and have expanded in each one of those years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Double the amount of ewes for me and put up a shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

Am going to try the ai route with my sucklers. Had bad luck with expensive bulls the last few years. I am also hoping treat it will improve my pedigree Angus breeding. Open to opinions on this choice good or bad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Cattlepen wrote: »
    Am going to try the ai route with my sucklers. Had bad luck with expensive bulls the last few years. I am also hoping treat it will improve my pedigree Angus breeding. Open to opinions on this choice good or bad

Good

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭anthony500_1

Cattlepen wrote:

Def if your around the farm to watch for ai it's a super way of improving breading within your herd, biggest issue I had was spotting heifers in heat and if they repeated or not as I was not living on farm and no one around during the day to keep an eye on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

mahoney_j wrote: »
    A wise man !!!!!

At times, I really question what the hell I'm at. Everyone of my farming friends are telling me to go dairy farming, and Jack in the day job. And that my place would be well set up for 100 to 120 cows. I don't know is it fear or stupidity that is stopping me doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Going for quality not quantity. Try to improve the purebreed side of the business. Tidy up the out farm and the yard. Like others have said try to maximize reward for minimum effort.

Advertisement