Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you see Wales from the Dublin mountains?

• 18-06-2009 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Hi, I was up in the Dublin mountains yesterday evening, ticknock to be precise. I could see the mountains of Mourne very clearly. I looked east and thought I could make out some land. It looked low enough so I don't think it was Snowdon, perhaps it was Anglesy? Has anyone ever made out the UK from the Dublin/Wicklow mountains?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

very very occasionally, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,412 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Sometimes you can see the Snowdon range, yes. It's unlikely you saw Anglesey, as it's pretty flat (apart from Holyhead Mountain), but the mountains start rising up just the other side of the Menai Straits, so it's not that much further.

Generally speaking it happens more often on those beautiful clear, crisp, cold winter days rather than during the summer months. In the summer, there's usually too much haze to see Snowdon properly. Don't be fooled by banks of sea mist either, they can often look suspiciously like land sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

Alun wrote: »
    Sometimes you can see the Snowdon range, yes. It's unlikely you saw Anglesey, as it's pretty flat (apart from Holyhead Mountain), but the mountains start rising up just the other side of the Menai Straits, so it's not that much further.

Generally speaking it happens more often on those beautiful clear, crisp, cold winter days rather than during the summer months. In the summer, there's usually too much haze to see Snowdon properly. Don't be fooled by banks of sea mist either, they can often look suspiciously like land sometimes.

Yes most certainly on St. Stephens day on the Sugar Loaf, a lot of ohhing and ahhing and it was a very crisp sunny cold day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Also from the top of Howth but only on an exceptionally clear day.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭C Eng

It is possible to see Mt Snowdon, like another poster said better on a cold crisp winters day

• Advertisement

We could see both the Mournes and Wales from the top of Kippure on Saturday. There was quite a bit of cloud but it was quite high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

You could see a Welsh mountain from one of the housing estates (Harbour view???) in wicklow last night. This estate is fairly high up and you could make out the tip of a mountain (I assume snowdon) with the naked eye. I did a rough calculation on google maps and it looks to be about 70 miles away. It is strange to see what looks like an island in the irish sea. Can anyone in wicklow town confirm that they have seen wales before???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

The Welsh hills were just about visible from Tibradden this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

tricky D wrote: »

Yes, I've seen the Welsh mountains from Howth once, a january evening about 4 years ago. Never before or since though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

qwert2 wrote: »
    Hi, I was up in the Dublin mountains yesterday evening, ticknock to be precise. I could see the mountains of Mourne very clearly.

Last Wednesday, in a boat off Howth, I looked North and saw a range of hills. I assumed it was the Cooleys, with Slieve Gullion the highest point in sight west. Someone else reckoned they were the Mournes, with Slieve Donard the highest point in sight east. I thought, from Dublin, you would not see the Mournes 'behind' the Cooleys :confused: ?

• Advertisement

TarfHead wrote: »
    Last Wednesday, in a boat off Howth, I looked North and saw a range of hills. I assumed it was the Cooleys, with Slieve Gullion the highest point in sight west. Someone else reckoned they were the Mournes, with Slieve Donard the highest point in sight east. I thought, from Dublin, you would not see the Mournes 'behind' the Cooleys :confused: ?
    Slieve Donard would be 250m higher than anything in the Cooleys, so more likely to be the Mournes IMO. They cover a bigger area too and would be more apparent than a small range like the Cooleys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

You can easily see the Mournes from Howth, but not today with the fog (just checked). Slieve Gullion is well off to the west of them. You can see some of the Cooleys too, but they're generally obscured by Ireland's Eye depending where exactly you are. The higher, rollercoaster-like curvy ones are the Mournes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

I have seen the mountains of Wales from the top of Kippure, next to the TV mast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ireland_outdoor

You can see the Welsh hills from Wicklow Town on clear days. Wicklow Head which is just south of the town is the most easterly point in the republic so it's not too surprising

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

tricky D wrote: »
    yes heard that. from car park on Howth Summit where does one look to find Wales?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jbop

Hi. I found this thread and thought you might like to know that on Sunday (4/10) me and my partner were sailing back from Dublin to Holyhead and we were able to see Ireland all the way into Holyhead harbour. We arrived at 7 as the sun set and the wicklow mountains were clearly visible in silhouette in a narrow band of clear sky. Through binoculars the mast on Kippure was clearly visible. A photo we took also (just about) shows the mast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

yes heard that. from car park on Howth Summit where does one look to find Wales?

East.

testicle wrote: »
    East.
    Well, a little bit south of east actually, seeing as it's usually the Snowdonia range you can see if anything. Due east from Howth would skim the north coast of Anglesey which is pretty flat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Outdoor_Freak

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    You could see a Welsh mountain from one of the housing estates (Harbour view???) in wicklow last night. This estate is fairly high up and you could make out the tip of a mountain (I assume snowdon) with the naked eye. I did a rough calculation on google maps and it looks to be about 70 miles away. It is strange to see what looks like an island in the irish sea. Can anyone in wicklow town confirm that they have seen wales before???

If you go to the car park at the top of Green Hills Road in Wicklow Town you can certainly see Welsh mountains on a crisp clear day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Well, a little bit south of east actually, seeing as it's usually the Snowdonia range you can see if anything. Due east from Howth would skim the north coast of Anglesey which is pretty flat.

Sorry, I didn't realise a precise bearing was required. 103 degrees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

On monday i could see both the Mounes and Wales from top of Maulin! Very nice to see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Was on Sliabh Foye in the Cooleys on Sun and what I took to be Howth head was visible. Has anyone recalled seeing one from the other?

Roen wrote: »
    Was on Sliabh Foye in the Cooleys on Sun and what I took to be Howth head was visible. Has anyone recalled seeing one from the other?
    I'm pretty sure I could see the Wicklow Mountains from Slieve Foye on one particularly clear day. The Isle of Man was clearly visible that day too.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

I'm pretty sure I could see the Wicklow Mountains from Slieve Foye on one particularly clear day. The Isle of Man was clearly visible that day too.
    Howth head, the wicklow mountains, the Isle Of Man and Wales are all visible from the Mournes depending on the weather conditions. Have seen them all many times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MUM000

I enclose photo of our backgarden on the Greenhills Road in Wicklow Town and on a clear day you can see Wales.:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭netanyahu

*astonished*

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

Today, the Welsh mountains were visible with astonishing clarity from Two Rock. It wasn't just your normal saw-tooth of peaks on the horizon - the full profile of the individual mountains was clearly visible as if they were 20 km away instead of 140. Really, they looked as if they were just offshore. Everyone I met in the hills was commenting on this phenomenon.

I wondered if it was some kind of mirage that made them look so close.

By the way, seeing the Welsh mountains from the Dublin mountains isn't really that unusual. I've also sometimes been able to see the Isle of Man (160 km away) from Two Rock, including today. To see the Isle of Man, you have to look straight across the west pier of Dún Laoghaire harbour, just past the Bailey lighthouse, and it looks like a double hump.

I was up on Kindlestown Hill today and saw them too ... it was so clear you could even clearly see the snow covering the higher peaks, absolutely astonishing, never seen them so clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭grumpygit

took this photo from the top of lugalla one day. wales clearly visible, surely cant be a cloud or fog formation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I was on top of the Sugarloaf today, and you could see the mountain ridges in Wales very clearly. I could also see mountain outlines north, beyond Lambay Island, which could only have been the Mournes, right?

Advertisement