Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

• 01-08-2020 10:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8

Hi All ...I've noticed the leaves browning and even falling already...seem to be lots of berries early this year...is this a sign of a cold winter ?

Are there any winter predictions yet

❄☃️❄

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,107 ✭✭✭highdef

NK76 wrote: »
    Hi All ...I've noticed the leaves browning and even falling already...seem to be lots of berries early this year...is this a sign of a cold winter ?

No, the state of the flora is a result of preceding weather conditions and the plants are not predicting the future. Should it be a colder than normal winter, it's a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Leaves have been brown all "summer" in Donegal after multiple winter storms in May and June and the constant rain and lack of sunshine thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

NK76 wrote: »

Are there any winter predictions yet

❄☃️❄

https://youtu.be/8cxNNzdp8eU

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Well if 2020's anything to go by we'll have the ultimate white out, 1963 and 47 will be nothing lol

Hopefully not :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

This summer certainly has been one of the windiest I can remember. Regarding this winter, let's hope next weeks Scandi high eventually retrogresses to Greenland and stays with us till next February. If only the Atlantic could be shut out for that long!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Ah Lads, this thread is a little early don't you think?

Two weeks early but early none the less. Still, best thread of the year.

Don't know how this winter will play out. Last year I guessed it would be mild and it was. I thought the early summer would suffer below average temperatures due to the cold air being locked up all winter. Not tooting my own horn or anything.

I am expecting another mild Winter but I haven't looked an the Enso thread or the sun activity thread recently to make that determination.

Saying that we may see an effect this year from the low solar activity from the past two years. 2008 was the end of the last solar cycle and we have the big snow in 2010. 2018 and 2019 were both low numbers so we may experience something. The way 2020 has gone so far I would not be surprised.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It’s the most wonderful thread of the year. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Well whatever the winter brings, it can only be better than the sheit we endured for the past 2 years surely. 2017-18, when you remove the BFTE event, was an average winter and I'd certainly take that if I was offered it.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Well whatever the winter brings, it can only be better than the sheit we endured for the past 2 years surely. 2017-18, when you remove the BFTE event, was an average winter and I'd certainly take that if I was offered it.

I 'd take an average winter overall if we had an event like Storm Emma this winter. The only downside to that beast from the east was the timing, even with day time temperatures close to or below freezing the snow still melted.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Ah my favourite thread is back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I 'd take an average winter overall if we had an event like Storm Emma this winter. The only downside to that beast from the east was the timing, even with day time temperatures close to or below freezing the snow still melted.

Easily satisfied so :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Mild wet and windy. No snow last winter, and none this one. A forecast based on nothing but pessimism. And a very warm Arctic.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Artane2002

We're thinking of going on holidays in late December/early January, the last time we did that was 2010 so I wouldn't be surprised if we had a 2010 repeat this year :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Artane2002 wrote: »
    We're thinking of going on holidays in late December/early January, the last time we did that was 2010 so I wouldn't be surprised if we had a 2010 repeat this year :rolleyes:

Here's hoping we do get a repeat of 2010. With everything pointer towards a cooler than average end to August is this a sign of things to come or no baring at all really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I thought we'd just had Winter 20/21 :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I thought we'd just had Winter 20/21 :confused:

100%
    my prediction is that winter will just be a slightly colder version of what we've had all "summer"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I don't think this coming winter will be anything special but I do think we may have something a bit more seasonal this year compared to the past 2 years where Winter completely avoided us altogether. Hopefully the Polar Vortex won't be as intense as it was last winter which completely ruined Winter not just for Ireland but for much of northern Europe as well.

A friend living in southern Sweden said to me he saw barely any snow last winter compared to other years which is very unusual for them.

Well if there is a lag between low sunspot activity and its effects on our weather, then hopefully this Winter will end up being a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Well. I was strongly urged by someone who is usually wise to start buying coal weeks ago against the winter so am getting a 20 kg bag with every grocery delivery..... That is before my usual island turf purchase.

Be prepared for ANYTHING the way the weather is this year. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭piplip87

Took on the marketing of a fire protection client last week. Turns out he stocked up on rock salt after the beast as he reckoned last winter would be bad..... I hope to jaysus we get a cold start to winter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Leaves have been brown all "summer" in Donegal after multiple winter storms in May and June and the constant rain and lack of sunshine thereafter.

What storms? April and May had brilliant weather, June a bit wet,July ok, first week of August had temperatures in the mid 20s , there was a bit of rain last week and today is wet but nothing major

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bazlers

Nobody knows what winter is going to be like. We struggle 5 days in advance with any great accuracy.
    Hopefully a few good snowy days around the christmas period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

What storms? April and May had brilliant weather, June a bit wet,July ok, first week of August had temperatures in the mid 20s , there was a bit of rain last week and today is wet but nothing major

Leaves were burnt here too (south west) with the cold wind last 2 weeks april first 2 weeks may.

All the same (windward) side they didnt recover all summer.

Its a thing. Cant remember the name (scairbhin?)

Can someone help me out?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Leaves were burnt here too (south west) with the cold wind last 2 weeks april first 2 weeks may.

Can someone help me out?

Yep. Destroyed the begonias, so it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭spoonerhead

Finally the one weather thread I can get behind!

Very poor summer showing in Dublin, despite a good long stretch of settled weather in spring the temperatures stayed below average and it felt it. Did manage to fit my only staycation of the summer in Leitrim two weeks back and caught beautiful weather, but otherwise laughably bad in Dublin.

If I’d guess and from what I’ve read, we could have an autumn packed with storms. I’d reckon most forecasters will go for an Atlantic dominated winter. Still holding out hope for a massive event or even a long dry spell with consistent frosty mornings, they’ve been few and far between last two winters.

Here’s to blind faith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Billcarson

I'm hopeful this winter could be a good one for cold lovers. For the last number of yrs I have thought that the early 2020s might deliver some good cold spells due to the solar minimum, as we start to come out on the other side of the solar minimum.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Will be interesting to see how poorly does the GFS forecast cold and snow this winter. That GFS over the past year has performed fairly poorly and not as reliable as previous versions of the GFS. We now have a new GFS parallel ensemble run chart to compare with the GFS operational so will be interesting to compare the two this winter.

Current GFS Operational ensembles:

ens_image.php?geoid=64981&var=201&run=6&date=2020-08-26&model=gfs&member=ENS&bw=1

The new GFS Parallel ensembles:
    ens_image.php?geoid=64981&var=201&run=6&date=2020-08-26&model=gfs&member=ENSP&bw=1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

SeaBreezes wrote: »

Can someone help me out?

I'm right on the coast, lawn and flowers grew like mad, greenest I've seen them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭joinme

I'm not qualified to predict but I hope for an improvement on last winters mild muck! Even if we got just a week of ice, cold, snow, blizzards, proper winter fare, would tide me over for a few years.

Advertisement