Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Was just at the Applegreen on the M1 getting petrol and the station got hit by lightning! Power our and pumps off! Seems to be back online now

Wow. That must’ve scared the BeJaysus out of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Frankie19

I'm wondering the same. About 20 queuing to get in at the moment.

I hope its worth it. No way id queue in that rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Just out for a walk in Newbridge house, Donabate. Got caught in biblical rain and 5 or 6 big flashes and rumbles. Lasted about 15 mins, how sad is it that I have to say its the best I've seen in years. Delighted all the same and kids enjoyed it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Wow. That must’ve scared the BeJaysus out of you.

It’s funny, I had the pump in my hand but hadn’t started filling! A good few people were half way trough filling up and no one could pay! That’s the 2nd time I’ve been somewhere when it was hit by lightning!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Thunder warning for Dublin and Louth

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Scattered thunderstorms for a time this afternoon

Valid: 13:00 Friday 31/07/2020 to 15:00 Friday 31/07/2020

Issued: 13:00 Friday 31/07/2020

To me the storms are well gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭esposito

pad199207 wrote: »

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Scattered thunderstorms for a time this afternoon

Valid: 13:00 Friday 31/07/2020 to 15:00 Friday 31/07/2020

Issued: 13:00 Friday 31/07/2020

To me the storms are well gone

Exactly. They have just jinxed it - there will be no more now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Im in the office and I missed it but looks impressive:

dublin.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Heavy TS over the Irish Sea passing between East Co Down and the IOM, and travelling towards Stranraer peninsula. This started out convecting just off the Arklow coast two hours ago and is sparking away merrily at the mo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Decent amount of sferics showed up with so little CAPE available.

Netweather

QrbuE0o.png

Convergence up along the East coast did well to keep that storm firing away up past Belfast.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Surface temperatures not great tomorrow and Dp's about 11C or 12C at best and cloud cover may inhibit heating and lift but good levels of DLS and increasing cold uppers spreading in over the country associated with the trough look to produce heavy widespread convective showers across the country, heaviest rain in the W and NW where showers might merge into longer spells of rain. Could have some sporadic isolated thunderstorms also. Bit of a difference in the models, AROME interestingly keeping the heavy showers going well into the evening with decent CAPE values, will see if that translates into thunderstorms.

anim_tyy1.gif

G0kQNic.png

LSxtq6E.png

ECMWF sounding for near Carrick on Shannon.

8xIO2j7.png

anim_asm0.gif

TNlQWpo.png

vkFVUSP.gif

• Advertisement

Plenty of heavy showers yesterday , only sferics showed up in the SE early evening.

Netweather

LtbU2nf.png

ECMWF 06Z showing fairly high potential for thunderstorm activity early Weds morning into Weds day. Overnight temperatures of 16 to 18C, Dp's 15 to 16C .

Forcing along the front with plenty of instability, warm Theata W and Theta E readings, good lapse rates, LLS and DLS available. lift off the mountains in the SW and S, cool upper pool. Thunderstorm potential in the SW and S moving up into the country early morning.

The Fax chart showing Ireland within the 564 DAM line, Sticky night in store Tues into Weds.

anim_chd0.gif

jRshU7u.gif

HBE1vzo.gif

HfCYmvJ.png

I2Mm77O.png

5FEKYfF.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Mention of thunderstorms for tomorrow afternoon on Knock TAF,albeit small risk.
    TAF

TAF EIKN 031700Z 0318/0418 27007KT 9999 BKN045
    BECMG 0400/0402 18013KT 3000 -RA BKN005 TEMPO 0402/0418 1200 RA BR BKN002
    BECMG 0406/0408 20016G30KT
    PROB40 TEMPO 0413/0416 TSRA BKN018CB

Surprised that Met Eireann has no mention of Thunderstorm potential for early Weds morning.

Another day of increasing interest is Fri. We will see how it pans out but for the moment it looks like a cold front associated with a LP tracking up off the W , NW coast will track slowly up over the country. Temperatures in the low 20's with very high Dp's of 16 to 18C. could be a lively day up over the country with some locally heavy falls. One to keep an eye on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A chance of some thunderstorms on Friday, looks fairly low risk but the chance is there.

69-505UK.GIF?04-18

nmmuk-6-70-0.png?04-23

temperatures into the low 20's as well on Friday before cooler air takes over the weekend.

arpegeuk-41-74-0.png?04-18

• Registered Users Posts: 9,917 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Strike on Blitzortung west of Castletownbere

A lot less potential for thunderstorms on Fri would think, some low chance more towards the East perhaps, front not as active in recent runs.

Siobhán Ryan on the Radio1 forecast before 8am said Monday has the potential for heavy thundery rain and spot flooding.

Met É's website says "Very mild and heavy overnight. Scattered thunderstorms and widespread falls of heavy rain will lead to localised flooding."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,917 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Bit of a squall line crossing the midlands and north of Ireland at the moment, with the heat building across the east (21°c to 22°c) this might pep up and spark?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Siobhán Ryan on the Radio1 forecast before 8am said Monday has the potential for heavy thundery rain and spot flooding.

Met É's website says "Very mild and heavy overnight. Scattered thunderstorms and widespread falls of heavy rain will lead to localised flooding."

From Sunday morning onwards looks like it could enter 'Welsh import' terrotiry for the SE and E of Ireland with Monday in particular looking good:

KouA0Gz.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Radar showing development over Carlow town.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Met Eireann mentioning the UK met office warning for thunderstorms over there making their way here on the lunchtime forecast .

Met Eireann mentioning the UK met office warning for thunderstorms over there making their way here on the lunchtime forecast .

Same restated by JoDo on RTE1 at 6:30. Her forecast was gas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Couldn't remember all the NI counties.

Couldn't remember all the NI counties.

Couldn't remember "Ulster" I think. Well rescued though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

She consistently annoys both me and the missus!

The frequent lack of structure in her forecasts which seem poorly planned and scripted is both sloppy and very unprofessional. And the wink and the cúpla focail at the end is no compensation for a shoddy job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

end of the week looks interesting, cape values nothing special but with slack winds, low pressure and temps in the 20's I think we should see some activity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭pauldry

Monday could be interesting

Or Tuesday.

Malin Heads total might be beaten in a few hours.

Joanna was on the gargle obviously. Ya wouldnt trip over your words that much in sobriety unless you were Michael Martin

Advertisement